- 'Frisco Five' fast to protest San Francisco police brutality Updated: Apr-29-16 10:11 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Five people in San Francisco are on the ninth day of a hunger strike, saying they won't eat until San Francisco's police chief is fired or resigns.
- Trump making case to GOP insiders after chaotic rally scene Updated: Apr-29-16 9:56 am
LOS ANGELES - Donald Trump, the outsider, is making his case to California's Republican establishment after he kicked off his crucial campaign for the state's presidential primary with an enormous rally marred by confrontations between protesters and his supporters on the streets.
- San Francisco chief releases racist texts Updated: Apr-29-16 9:48 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco's police chief has ordered effective immediately that all officers attend an anti-harassment class, even as he released more transcripts of a former lieutenant and two former officers exchanging racist text messages.
- California utility casts doubt on blame for deadly wildfire Updated: Apr-29-16 5:09 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The state of California is seeking more than $90 million in firefighting costs from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. after finding that a deadly 2015 fire was sparked by a tree that came into contact with a power line, but the utility says it's not clear that it was to blame for the tree.
- 49ers select Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner at No. 7 Updated: Apr-29-16 1:08 am
SAN FRANCISCO - As DeForest Buckner waited for his name to be called, he hoped for this very scenario: An Oregon reunion in Northern California.
- NFL Draft: Players selected in the first round Updated: Apr-28-16 11:44 pm
The players selected in the first round of the NFL draft Thursday night in Chicago:
- 49ers boost offensive line by trading up to get Garnett Updated: Apr-28-16 11:36 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - The San Francisco 49ers addressed a big need on their offensive line, trading with Kansas City for another first-round pick to select Stanford guard Joshua Garnett with the 28th choice Thursday night.
- Judge rules for San Francisco in fight over reservoir Updated: Apr-28-16 7:24 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A California judge Thursday threw out a lawsuit that sought to remove Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, which supplies drinking water to more than 2 million San Francisco Bay Area residents.
- Settlement in lawsuit by Muslim homeland security agent Updated: Apr-28-16 1:43 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - A San Francisco Bay Area city has agreed to pay nearly $500,000 to settle allegations by a homeland security agent that police illegally raided his home in part because he is Muslim.
- California Legislature approves $16 million for June primary Updated: Apr-28-16 1:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's Legislature is approving $16 million to help county election officials deal with a surge of interest in the June primary and a crush of petition signatures for ballot measures.
- Video: 2 California cops beat man, steal his gold necklace Updated: Apr-28-16 10:17 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Newly released, enhanced surveillance footage from the brutal beating of a man in a San Francisco alley by Alameda County sheriff's deputies late last year has revealed new evidence against the deputies.
- The Latest: Ex-officer arrested for obstructing rape probe Updated: Apr-28-16 12:26 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Latest on a former San Francisco police lieutenant charged with obstructing the rape investigation of a subordinate officer (all times local):
- Myers extends his hitting streak to 12 in Padres' loss Updated: Apr-27-16 9:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Wil Myers takes no solace in extending his hitting streak. It's cool, but losing overshadows all that.
- Belt drives in 5, Giants complete sweep of Padres Updated: Apr-27-16 8:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Brandon Belt is giving himself credit for a home run in the first inning, even though the wind held up his shot for a sacrifice fly. He had a good day regardless.
- 1 dead in multi-vehicle crash east of San Francisco Updated: Apr-27-16 10:11 am
PLEASANTON, California - Four cars and a big rig were involved in a collision east of San Francisco Wednesday morning that killed one person and snarled the morning commute.
- Career education making a comeback in US high schools Updated: Apr-27-16 4:20 am
ANTIOCH, California - There was an emergency in Room 14. Three girls injured, one with a broken thighbone and maybe something more serious. Snapping on sterile gloves and kneeling before the worst-off patient, two 17-year-olds went to work.
- 14 people fatally overdose on 'painkiller' in California Updated: Apr-26-16 7:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Fourteen people in the Sacramento, California, area have fatally overdosed on a pill disguised as a popular painkiller, and now the drug has turned up in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Governments struggle to enforce "living wage" laws Updated: Apr-26-16 5:13 pm
SEATTLE - States and cities whose lawmakers proudly passed "living wage" laws are finding it difficult to make sure employers actually pay their workers accordingly.
- Sonoma County couple donates $185M to UCSF neurosciences Updated: Apr-26-16 9:32 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A Sonoma County couple says they will donate $185 million for a new neuroscience institute at the University of California, San Francisco. It's the largest donation in the school's history.
- Couple pleads guilty in scheme targeting Chinese-Americans Updated: Apr-25-16 10:15 pm
LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles County couple has pleaded guilty to federal charges accusing them of running a pyramid scheme primarily targeting Chinese-Americans in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City.
- Who's better? Gov. Scott says Florida better than California Updated: Apr-25-16 9:11 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Taking his quest to lure jobs from other states up another notch, Gov. Rick Scott got Florida to start airing radio ads blasting California's decision to raise the minimum wage.
- California lawmakers eye $1.3 billion for affordable housing Updated: Apr-25-16 8:01 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democratic lawmakers called Monday for California to spend $1.3 billion next year to help workers afford housing and to shelter homeless people in response to the growing statewide issue.
- Man gets 17 years in prison for steroid-fueled gym slaying Updated: Apr-25-16 7:24 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A court sentenced a Northern California man to 17 years to life in prison on Monday for beating a fellow gym patron to death with a weightlifting bar.
- SUV hits patrol car, 2 San Francisco police officers injured Updated: Apr-25-16 10:01 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Authorities say two San Francisco police officers were transported to the hospital Sunday evening after a driver ran a red light and hit their patrol car.
- Bay Area Bike Share adds stations in East Bay Updated: Apr-25-16 9:09 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The Bay Area Bike Share is planning a major expansion that will eventually add another 1,500 bikes to the East Bay.