- Human skull found south of San Francisco Updated: Oct-13-15 9:24 am
LOS GATOS, California - Authorities say a hiker found a human skull in a rural area south of San Francisco.
- Man suing over injury from giant pine cone in San Francisco Updated: Oct-13-15 8:34 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A Navy veteran is suing after what his lawyer describes as a 16-pound pine cone fell and crushed his skull in San Francisco.
- California to big-league ballplayers: Stop chewing tobacco Updated: Oct-13-15 3:29 am
LOS ANGELES - California lawmakers have taken the first step toward accomplishing something Major League Baseball could never do: Stop players from stuffing those big wads of chewing tobacco into their mouths during games.
- 3 charged with killing tourist, hiker arrive in California Updated: Oct-12-15 10:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A California prosecutor said Monday he has filed murder charges that could lead to the death penalty for three young transients accused of gunning down a Canadian backpacker and a yoga instructor walking his dog.
- 49ers find things to build on in fourth straight loss Updated: Oct-12-15 7:53 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Sure, after that long cross-country flight, a tired coach Jim Tomsula could still point to some improvements in yet another disappointing defeat.
- California contest dubs 1,969-pound pumpkin the plumpest Updated: Oct-12-15 6:36 pm
HALF MOON BAY, California - A rippled white whopper weighing in at 1,969 pounds took the title Monday for plumpest pumpkin at an annual San Francisco Bay Area contest.
- Warriors buy land for move to San Francisco Updated: Oct-12-15 3:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The Golden State Warriors are a big step closer to building a new arena in San Francisco.
- Bicyclist fatally struck by bus in downtown San Francisco Updated: Oct-12-15 12:24 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Police say a bicyclist was fatally struck by a Muni bus in downtown San Francisco.
- 49ers without TE Vernon Davis, LB Ahmad Brooks at Giants Updated: Oct-11-15 7:53 pm
Vernon Davis was inactive for the struggling San Francisco 49ers for the second game in a row Sunday night because of a knee injury, even though he practiced a bit throughout the week and both he and coach Jim Tomsula seemed to indicate the player might return.
- 2 dead after plane crashes near Northern California house Updated: Oct-11-15 6:13 pm
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, California - Two people were killed when a single-engine plane crashed next to a house in Northern California shortly after takeoff, authorities said Sunday.
- Salt Lake City may name street for gay civil rights leader Updated: Oct-11-15 2:28 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Salt Lake City could soon have a street named after pioneering gay leader Harvey Milk, an idea that reflects the progressive bent of the city that's home to the Mormon church and capital of a conservative state.
- 49ers release cornerback Shareece Wright Updated: Oct-10-15 4:44 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - The San Francisco 49ers have released cornerback Shareece Wright. He didn't appear in a game after a short stint with the team that began with him competing for a starting job.
- Golden Gate Bridge suicide barrier set to go out to bid Updated: Oct-10-15 3:10 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Golden Gate Bridge officials are set to begin looking for a construction firm for a suicide barrier on the landmark span, a newspaper reported.
- Fossils being donated to Fremont museum Updated: Oct-10-15 1:30 pm
FREMONT, California - Fossils that show camels, wild horses and bison once grazed in the San Francisco Bay Area are being donated to a natural history museum.
- The Latest: Trio uses stolen gun to rob, kill 2 Updated: Oct-09-15 4:11 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The latest on the killing of a backpacker and a yoga teacher in California (all times local):
- Cat helps San Francisco police talk man off building ledge Updated: Oct-09-15 8:33 am
SAN FRANCISCO - After San Francisco police officers spent three hours unsuccessfully trying to talk down a suicidal man on a window ledge, they switched to a more effective negotiator: the man's cat.
- California oil regulators acknowledge oversight failings Updated: Oct-08-15 8:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Oil and gas regulators in and around Los Angeles routinely failed to carry out much of the oversight required to keep federally protected drinking-water aquifers from oilfield contamination, an internal review by those state regulators concluded Thursday.
- Brooks to miss Sunday's game because of sister's death Updated: Oct-08-15 8:48 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks left the team this week after his sister, Krsunthia Brooks, died of lupus, according to the player's agent Greg Williams.
- Nobody hurt when train hits vehicle on tracks in Burlingame Updated: Oct-08-15 8:52 am
BURLINGAME, California - Caltrain officials say nobody was hurt when a northbound train struck a vehicle on the tracks in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- California governor signs law targeting gender wage gap Updated: Oct-06-15 8:34 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Female workers in California will get new tools to challenge gender-based wage gaps under legislation signed into law Tuesday that supporters say offers the strongest equal-pay protection in the nation.
- Golden Gate Park slaying victim was a Canadian tourist Updated: Oct-06-15 8:18 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A young Canadian woman whose body was found in Golden Gate Park over the weekend was on her first solo backpacking trip that would have taken her all the way to Europe, her relatives said Tuesday.
- Singer-songwriter John Mayer gushes about The Grateful Dead Updated: Oct-06-15 8:07 pm
SAN RAFAEL, California - Singer-songwriter John Mayer proudly declared himself a "Deadhead" as he defended members of the Grateful Dead in their decision to regroup after playing what was supposed to be the band's final tour this summer.
- Woman found dead in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park Updated: Oct-05-15 10:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco police say a young woman who suffered blunt force trauma to the head was found dead in the city's Golden Gate Park this weekend.
- Giants miss playoffs again after latest championship run Updated: Oct-05-15 8:04 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The defending champion Giants missed the playoffs in yet another odd-year disappointment, as has become the recent pattern following title runs.
- Nevada, San Francisco agree to settle patient dumping suit Updated: Oct-05-15 6:58 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Nevada has tentatively agreed to pay $400,000 to the City and County of San Francisco to settle allegations that the state wrongfully and intentionally bused psychiatric patients to the city and declined to pay the costs connected with their care.