- Historic Marin County mansion sells for $47.5M Updated: Aug-28-15 10:28 am
BELVEDERE, California - A 19th century Marin County mansion has sold for $47.5 million.
- Robin Williams' family back in court over estate dispute Updated: Aug-28-15 5:10 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Attorneys for Robin Williams' wife and children were due back in court Friday in the ongoing fight over the late actor's estate.
- Haren gives up 5 runs in 6 1-3 innings, Cubs lose 9-1 to SF Updated: Aug-27-15 8:54 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Chicago manager Joe Maddon is all about learning lessons and moving on. Get no-hit? Roll up the sleeves and get back to work. Lose a few in a row? Forget about it.
- Fatal shot in San Francisco pier shooting was ricochet Updated: Aug-27-15 6:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The murder suspect at the center of a national immigration debate admits he fired the shot that killed a young San Francisco woman on an evening stroll with her father.
- Tomlinson hits grand slam for 1st MLB HR, Giants beat Cubs Updated: Aug-27-15 6:52 pm
- Correction: Murder Exonerations-Lawsuits story Updated: Aug-27-15 6:50 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - In a story Aug. 26 about lawsuits by two exonerated murder defendants, The Associated Press reported erroneously the name of one of the sheriff's investigators accused of withholding evidence. His name is Gilbert Parra, not Eric Parra.
- Judge won't toss charges in Chinatown racketeering case Updated: Aug-27-15 4:00 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge refused Thursday to throw out a racketeering case against a man arrested in a money laundering and corruption probe centered in San Francisco's Chinatown that also led to charges against a California state senator.
- Apple schedules new product event for Sept. 9 Updated: Aug-27-15 3:39 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Apple has announced plans for a new product event on Sept. 9 in San Francisco, where the giant tech company is expected to show off new iPhones and other gadgets.
- Sharks, skateboards, survival debut on Discovery VR network Updated: Aug-27-15 12:55 pm
LOS ANGELES - Discovery is unleashing the first videos for its virtual reality network, Discovery VR, a fledgling service that is testing the limits and capabilities of the immersive format.
- Former broadcaster in TV shooting was a volatile, angry man Updated: Aug-27-15 4:38 am
Even after gunning down a TV news reporter and cameraman during a live interview, Vester Lee Flanagan II continued to rage. But after a volatile career that had seen him fired at least twice for clashing with co-workers who recall him as an off-kilter loner, this would be the former broadcaster's last, brutal sign-off.
- Another law enforcement officer gun stolen in the Bay Area Updated: Aug-26-15 11:04 pm
HAYWAYRD, California - Authorities say a Hayward police officer's gun was stolen during a car burglary in Oakland, marking at least the third such theft in the Bay Area in recent months.
- Grand jury indicts former 49er Ray McDonald on rape charge Updated: Aug-26-15 9:26 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A Santa Clara County grand jury indicted former San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald on one count of rape of an intoxicated person.
- Bill requires prosecution of transferred immigrants Updated: Aug-26-15 9:07 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Seeking to prevent another tragedy like the July killing of a woman on a San Francisco pier, Republican state lawmakers on Wednesday proposed legislation that would prevent California cities from accepting federal transfers of immigrant prisoners unless local prosecutors commit to pursuing felony charges.
- In TV shooting, a volatile, angry man 'waiting to go BOOM' Updated: Aug-26-15 9:00 pm
Long before he filmed himself gunning down a TV reporter and cameraman during a live broadcast Wednesday, the man identified as the killer traced a twisted and volatile career path that saw him fired from at least two stations for conflicts with co-workers, leaving memories of an "off-kilter" loner easily angered by office humor.
- Cain loses third straight decision, Giants fall to Cubs Updated: Aug-26-15 3:23 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Matt Cain is closer to 100 losses than 100 wins and hasn't had a winning season since helping the San Francisco Giants win the 2012 World Series title.
- Drought-plagued California readies for El Nino storms Updated: Aug-26-15 2:09 am
SANTA ANA, California - While drought-plagued California is eager for rain, the forecast of a potentially Godzilla-like El Nino event has communities clearing out debris basins, urging residents to stock up on emergency supplies and even talking about how a deluge could affect the 50th Super Bowl.
- Tourist shot during robbery, 2 suspects in custody in SF Updated: Aug-26-15 12:59 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco police say two suspects have been arrested in the mugging and shooting of a tourist who was attacked in the Russian Hill neighborhood, known for its iconic winding stretch of Lombard Street.
- AP source: Cowboys' Scandrick out for year with knee injury Updated: Aug-26-15 12:42 am
Orlando Scandrick's season is over before it started after the Dallas cornerback tore two ligaments in his right knee in practice at training camp Tuesday.
- Ex-J.P. Morgan analyst pleads not guilty to insider trading Updated: Aug-25-15 9:46 pm
LOS ANGELES - A former J.P. Morgan Securities analyst in California pleaded not guilty Tuesday to taking part in insider trading that prosecutors say netted more than $600,000.
- Affeldt goes on disabled list with left knee injury Updated: Aug-25-15 9:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The San Francisco Giants placed left-hander Jeremy Affeldt on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after he sustained a left knee subluxation while playing with his children a day earlier.
- California cardinal accused of drunken driving in Hawaii Updated: Aug-25-15 4:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The former archbishop of San Francisco has been arrested in Hawaii on suspicion of drunken driving.
- Tech startups want to change the way you drive Updated: Aug-25-15 12:17 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A veteran computer scientist hates sitting in his car at stop lights, so he creates software that makes the experience less annoying. A former engineering professor wants to double the range of today's electric vehicles. And an aeronautics expert believes flying cars shouldn't be science fiction.
- Gun stolen from UC Berkeley police chief's car at park Updated: Aug-25-15 10:49 am
BERKELEY, California - Authorities say a loaded gun, badge and ammunition stolen from a car at a popular San Francisco Bay Area shoreline park belonged to the police chief at UC Berkeley.
- Hang glider killed in San Francisco identified Updated: Aug-24-15 1:11 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A 69-year-old San Francisco man who has died in a hang-gliding accident in the city's Golden Gate National Recreation Area has been identified.
- High risk of tick-borne diseases in San Francisco Bay Area Updated: Aug-24-15 10:55 am
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco Bay Area's trails and open space hold a higher risk of tick-borne disease than previously thought.