- Week-old wildfire wreaks havoc on California vacation spot Updated: Aug-04-15 10:25 pm
MIDDLETOWN, California - A predictable but painful summertime ritual played out in half a dozen resort communities near California's largest freshwater lake on Tuesday as an erratic, week-old wildfire that has wiped out dozens of buildings continued to threaten nearly 7,000 more.
- Attorney: FBI accused San Francisco mayor of taking bribes Updated: Aug-04-15 9:25 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - San Francisco's mayor was accused by the FBI of taking bribes in exchange for favors, attorneys for a defendant in an organized crime case centered on San Francisco's Chinatown said Tuesday.
- Body believed to be missing San Francisco teacher found Updated: Aug-04-15 9:23 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Authorities in Northern California say the body of a San Francisco teacher who has been missing for 19 days may have been found.
- California minimum wage initiative cleared for signatures Updated: Aug-04-15 12:02 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A union-backed proposal to raise California's minimum wage to $15 an hour was cleared Monday to begin collecting signatures for a ballot initiative next year as local efforts continue nationwide to boost the minimum wage to better reflect the cost of living.
- Special Olympics athlete found after disappearing from LAX Updated: Aug-03-15 9:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - An autistic teenage Special Olympics athlete who vanished from Los Angeles International Airport was found sleeping on a lawn five miles away Monday afternoon, hours after another missing competitor turned up safe 350 miles away in Northern California.
- Judge extends hold on recordings made by anti-abortion group Updated: Aug-03-15 9:14 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge in San Francisco extended a restraining order on Monday that blocks an anti-abortion group from releasing any recordings that it secretly gathered at annual meetings of an abortion providers' association.
- Quinton Dial could be big part of 49ers revamped DL Updated: Aug-03-15 8:33 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - Quinton Dial is running with the first-team defense for the San Francisco 49ers, who are looking to once again turn a young, raw prospect into a producer along their defensive line after the departure of long-time starters Ray McDonald and five-time Pro Bowler Justin Smith.
- Hamilton homers, Perez wins as Rangers edge Giants 2-1 Updated: Aug-02-15 7:38 pm
- Pence home as Giants rally 9-7, ruin Hamels' debut in Texas Updated: Aug-02-15 1:18 am
ARLINGTON, Texas - Hunter Pence's homecoming and San Francisco's big bats trumped Cole Hamels' debut in Texas.
- 49ers deal with loose sod in Levi's Stadium on first day Updated: Aug-02-15 12:50 am
SANTA CLARA, California - It took less than 30 minutes into the San Francisco 49ers' first training camp practice for the Levi's Stadium sod to come up in pieces, also only a couple of hours after the venue hosted a high school all-star game.
- Lawsuit: Bosses let rules-breaking sailor compete in Cup Updated: Aug-01-15 11:59 pm
SAN DIEGO - Top officials with Oracle Team USA knew grinder Matt Mitchell didn't illegally alter a catamaran used in warmup regattas and yet let a rules-breaking sailor compete in the 2013 America's Cup, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court in San Francisco.
- 49ers rookie Hayne reiterates apology for offensive comments Updated: Aug-01-15 5:54 pm
SANTA CLARA, California - On the opening day of his first NFL training camp, former Australian rugby league star Jarryd Hayne reiterated how sorry he is for offensive comments last month about Jews that drew criticism from the Anti-Defamation League and others.
- San Diego residents mull suicide barrier on iconic bridge Updated: Aug-01-15 5:22 pm
SAN DIEGO - A group of San Diego residents is studying the feasibility of adding a barrier to the city's iconic Coronado Bridge to prevent people from jumping to their deaths.
- USOC: 3 cities being contacted to replace Boston in 2024 bid Updated: Aug-01-15 8:35 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Olympic leaders have started contacting Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington about the possibility of bidding for the 2024 Games and believe the demise of Boston's candidacy will be "ancient history" by the time the host city is selected in 2017.
- Abortion supporters get help from courts in video fight Updated: Aug-01-15 1:52 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Abortion rights advocates locked in a public relations battle with abortion opponents over videos of Planned Parenthood leaders discussing the use of aborted fetuses got some good news from two courts in California.
- Leake will make his Giants' debut Sunday at Texas Updated: Jul-31-15 9:37 pm
ARLINGTON, Texas - Mike Leake is replacing Tim Hudson in San Francisco's rotation, and the newly acquired right-hander will make his Giants' debut in their series finale Sunday at Texas.
- Man who died in police fight wanted for beating 97-year-old Updated: Jul-31-15 7:22 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A man who died after a fight with San Francisco police Thursday was wanted in the beating of a 97-year-old who employed him as a caretaker and later died from the attack, authorities said.
- Giants get RH Mike Leake from Reds for another playoff run Updated: Jul-31-15 1:57 am
CINCINNATI - After whiffing on Cole Hamels, the San Francisco Giants got starter Mike Leake from the Cincinnati Reds for a pair of prospects on Thursday night.
- San Francisco man dies after struggle with police Updated: Jul-31-15 1:01 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A man who got into a scuffle with San Francisco police officers following a hit-and-run crash has died.
- Lawsuit accuses CVS of overcharging for generic drugs Updated: Jul-30-15 9:50 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - CVS Health Corp. deliberately overcharged some pharmacy customers for generic drugs by submitting claims to their insurance companies at inflated prices, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday in federal court in San Francisco.
- Virgin America's 2Q profit beats Wall Street forecasts Updated: Jul-30-15 3:40 pm
Virgin America's second-quarter profit beat Wall Street expectations on cheaper fuel, and the airline plans to grow at a double-digit rate next year after it starts flying to Hawaii.
- Great white shark thwarts marathon swim in San Francisco Bay Updated: Jul-30-15 2:06 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A great white shark thwarted a Northern California man's quest to become the first person to swim from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Farallon Islands.
- Early retirement: players call it quits in prime of careers Updated: Jul-30-15 2:53 am
SANTA CLARA, California - Patrick Willis walked away first with a nagging toe injury that kept him from being the dominant All-Pro linebacker of his prime.
- California Guard uses drone to search for missing teacher Updated: Jul-29-15 9:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The California National Guard is using a drone to search El Dorado National Forest for a missing San Francisco teacher, marking the first time the Guard has used an unmanned aircraft for a search-and-rescue mission.
- California's big cities say June water-saving goals were met Updated: Jul-29-15 8:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's largest cities said water conservation goals ordered by Gov. Jerry Brown were met or exceeded in June - the first month of mandatory cutbacks during the drought.