- California firefighters hold blaze that jumped line Updated: Jul-30-15 1:01 am
NAPA, California - Crews battling the toughest of several wildfires burning across the state held their ground Wednesday, keeping a blaze east of California's Napa Valley from jumping any more containment lines, fire officials said.
- Navy engineer sentenced for mishandling classified material Updated: Jul-29-15 3:13 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A Naval reservist has been sentenced for mishandling classified military materials.
- Vaccine law opponents cleared to start recall of senator Updated: Jul-28-15 5:29 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Opponents of California's new vaccine law have been cleared to begin collecting signatures to recall the legislation's author.
- Goat remains found in latest animal mutilation case Updated: Jul-27-15 9:26 am
SACRAMENTO, California - The remains of a decapitated goat have been found in Sacramento, bringing the total number of mutilated animals discovered in the area to more than a dozen since December.
- Sacramento Kings announce Caron Butler's signing Updated: Jul-23-15 5:26 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Sacramento Kings have signed veteran forward Caron Butler.
- Sacramento Kings announce signings of Curry, Acy and Dukan Updated: Jul-22-15 8:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Sacramento Kings have signed guard Seth Curry and forwards Quincy Acy and Duje Dukan (DOO-yay DOOK-in) after reaching contract agreements with them earlier this week.
- Regulators say first water case aided by detailed records Updated: Jul-22-15 5:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California's vast network of reservoirs, canals and rivers is among the world's most engineered water systems, but it is tough to prove when water is illegally siphoned because of sparse metering, infrequent reporting and a complex web of tens of thousands of water rights.
- Mistrial declared in fatal shooting of 3-year-old Updated: Jul-22-15 9:41 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sacramento judge has declared a mistrial after jurors failed to reach a verdict in the murder trial of three men accused in the 2012 shooting death of a toddler.
- Drowning victim's body found in Lake Natoma Updated: Jul-22-15 8:56 am
SACRAMENTO, California - State park workers have recovered the body of a man who drowned last week at Lake Natoma.
- AP Source: Kings, Seth Curry agree to 2-year deal Updated: Jul-21-15 9:35 pm
Seth Curry is joining his brother in Northern California, after all. Just not together on the Golden State Warriors.
- Yolo County sheriff cleared in sexual harassment case Updated: Jul-21-15 8:46 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a Yolo County sheriff's deputy against Sheriff Ed Prieto has been dismissed.
- 5th person drowns in Sacramento River in 3 weeks Updated: Jul-19-15 6:50 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities in Northern California are working to recover the body of a man they say drowned near the confluence of the Sacramento and American rivers.
- E-cigarette industry has few rules, but change seems likely Updated: Jul-18-15 3:00 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Vapor Spot doesn't immediately conjure images of the Wild West. There's a curved, neon-backed bar and full-length windows at the downtown Sacramento shop. The high exposed ceilings are decked with orbed light fixtures to give the expansive space a warm glow. Patrons gather in the "vape shop" to smoke electronic cigarettes, inhaling nicotine through a flavored vapor solution, known as "juice."
- 3 children's choirs pay tribute at Charleston church Updated: Jul-18-15 12:56 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Children's choirs from across the country are using their voices to pay tribute to the nine people shot to death at a Charleston church last month.
- Bus-safety mandates introduced after deadly California crash Updated: Jul-17-15 9:20 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California state lawmaker proposed sweeping bus-safety reforms Friday that were recommended by federal officials who investigated a fiery bus crash that killed five high school students on a tour last year.
- NAACP calls paper's drawings of Sacramento mayor racist Updated: Jul-17-15 4:31 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A weekly newspaper has been criticized for its illustrations of Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson that civil rights leaders and prominent members of the black community have deemed racist and stereotypical.
- Kings void Luc Mbah a Moute's contract after failed physical Updated: Jul-16-15 7:21 pm
The Sacramento Kings voided the contract of forward Luc Mbah a Moute on Thursday after he failed a team physical.
- House passes another bill to stem California drought Updated: Jul-16-15 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The House on Thursday passed GOP-led legislation designed to bring more water to California's farm belt amid a severe and lengthy drought.
- Company plans mining on historic northern California ranch Updated: Jul-16-15 9:19 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A company plans to mine for silica and other minerals on land about 45 miles from Sacramento that has been purchased from the family of the man who owned legendary racehorse Seabiscuit.
- Lawmakers shelve bill to change voter-approved crime measure Updated: Jul-15-15 9:03 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California lawmakers are shelving a bill intended to change a voter-approved initiative that reduced criminal penalties for some non-violent offenders.
- Man charged in California kidnapping had bright resume Updated: Jul-14-15 9:15 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - Matthew Muller had a resume built for success - a U.S. Marine veteran, Harvard Law School graduate and member of the California bar.
- Feds urge bus safety rules after deadly California crash Updated: Jul-14-15 5:35 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal safety officials on Tuesday urged commercial buses to have more clearly labeled emergency exits and safety briefings similar to those on planes after their investigation of a deadly collision in California in which a tractor-trailer slammed into a bus full of students.
- Bill seeks disclosure of construction settlements Updated: Jul-13-15 7:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Construction companies will have to disclose building defects such as those that could have contributed to a deadly balcony collapse in Berkeley under a state legislative proposal that will be heard for the first time Tuesday.
- California begins to regain control of prison health care Updated: Jul-13-15 4:59 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California on Monday began regaining responsibility for its prison health care system after nearly a decade of federal control and billions of dollars in improvements.
- Retired federal judge Lawrence Karlton dies in California Updated: Jul-12-15 6:23 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Retired federal judge Lawrence K. Karlton, whose written legal opinions on topics ranging from mental health care for inmates to the environment stand as significant influences on key issues, died in Northern California. He was 80.