- Prosecutors challenge proposed California sentencing changes Updated: Feb-12-16 7:17 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California prosecutors announced Friday that they are seeking to block Gov. Jerry Brown's proposed ballot initiative to reduce the state's prison population.
- Feds charge California man in 7-state immigration scam Updated: Feb-11-16 8:25 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Federal authorities charged a Sacramento man Thursday with running what they called an unusually creative scam that promised U.S. citizenships to hundreds of immigrants across at least seven states in return for fees as high as $10,000.
- Timing, cost of high-speed rail project face legal scrutiny Updated: Feb-11-16 6:06 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Current state plans for a $68 billion high-speed rail system would not get passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the time voters were promised when they approved the project, attorneys for a group of landowners opposing the system argued in court Thursday.
- The Latest: California high-speed rail lawsuit in court Updated: Feb-11-16 3:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on legal arguments over California's proposed high-speed rail project (all times local):
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo Updated: Feb-10-16 8:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sumatran female tiger was killed at the Sacramento Zoo by her mating partner Wednesday after the two felines were put in the same enclosure for breeding, zoo officials said.
- The Latest: California seeks control of prison health care Updated: Feb-10-16 2:51 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Latest on The Associated Press interview with new Corrections Secretary Scott Kernan (all times local):
- Sacramento to vote on ballot initiative to decide pot tax Updated: Feb-10-16 8:49 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Sacramento voters will decide whether to use tax dollars from marijuana cultivation to pay for services for kids.
- Former guard, wife found guilty of fraud Updated: Feb-10-16 8:47 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A former corrections officer and his wife have been found guilty of workers' compensation fraud.
- Amtrak train hits, kills pedestrian in Berkeley Updated: Feb-08-16 11:52 pm
BERKELEY, California - Officials say an Amtrak train struck and killed by a man as he was trying to cross the tracks in Berkeley.
- James, Irving lead Cavaliers past Kings 120-100 Updated: Feb-08-16 11:09 pm
CLEVELAND - LeBron James came close to his 40th career triple-double several times this season.
- Avery Bradley's 25 points helps Celtics beat Kings Updated: Feb-07-16 4:38 pm
BOSTON - The Boston Celtics enjoyed a season-high scoring day to keep their current winning stretch rolling along.
- Plagued by delays, California high-speed rail back in court Updated: Feb-07-16 1:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California voters embraced the idea of building the nation's first real high-speed rail system, which promised to whisk travelers from San Francisco to Los Angeles in under three hours, a trip that can take six hours or more by car. Eight years after they approved funding for it, construction is years behind schedule and legal, financial and logistical delays plague the $68 billion project.
- Montana State holds off Sacramento State 79-76 Updated: Feb-07-16 12:22 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Tyler Hall scored 25 points with five 3-pointers and Montana State held off Sacramento State 79-76 on Saturday night to end a two-game skid.
- Modern theft of vintage gun revives 1927 Sultan murder tale Updated: Feb-06-16 2:05 am
SULTAN, Washington - It was dark when the lone figure heaved a large rock through the glass front door of Sultan's Visitor Information Center.
- Sacramento State slips past Montana with late rally 83-79 Updated: Feb-05-16 12:38 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Marcus Graves and Jiday Ugbaja scored 18 points each to lead Sacramento State in a second half rally to edge Montana 83-79 on Thursday night.
- Moore has career night in Butler's place as Bulls beat Kings Updated: Feb-04-16 1:47 am
SACRAMENTO, California - With leading scorer Jimmy Butler on the bench nursing a sore left knee, E'Twaun Moore figured he'd get plenty of chances to pick up the slack for Chicago.
- Correction: California Drought story Updated: Feb-03-16 3:14 pm
FRESNO, California - In a story Feb. 2 about California water conservation, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the average monthly water use declined from 76 gallons for each person in November to 67 gallons in December. The figures were for daily consumption, not monthly use.
- Police identify bodies found in California woods decades ago Updated: Feb-03-16 12:52 pm
SANTA ROSA, California - Nearly 40 years after a Sacramento-area man found their bodies in the woods, California officials have identified the two teenagers they believe were victims of foul play.
- The Latest: California to extend water conservation Updated: Feb-02-16 11:52 pm
FRESNO, California - The Latest on the California drought (all times local):
- Kings cancel Lunar New Year promo after Cousins complains Updated: Feb-02-16 5:14 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The Sacramento Kings canceled a Lunar New Year promotional giveaway after DeMarcus Cousins complained it was insensitive on the first day of Black History Month.
- Sacramento college student accused of making Snapchat threat Updated: Feb-02-16 8:18 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sacramento community college student has been arrested on suspicion of making threats on social media.
- Gay scores 32 to lead Kings over Bucks, 111-104 Updated: Feb-02-16 2:30 am
SACRAMENTO, California - For the second time this season with teammate DeMarcus Cousins watching from the bench in street clothes, Rudy Gay tormented the Milwaukee Bucks.
- Regulators get input - sort of - on self-driving car rollout Updated: Jan-28-16 6:09 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California regulators deciding how to permit the future rollout of self-driving cars were told Thursday by consumer advocates that their cautious approach was right on, and by companies developing the technology that the state's current course will delay deployment of vehicles that promise huge safety benefits.
- The Latest: California hearing begins on self-driving cars Updated: Jan-28-16 2:05 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Latest on hearing on driverless cars in California (all times local):
- CSU Sacramento investigate hate speech against Muslims Updated: Jan-28-16 9:19 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Officials at California State University, Sacramento, are investigating an incident involving written hate speech directed at the Muslim community.