- Sacramento Zoo euthanizes zebra after declining health Updated: May-24-16 9:11 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Sacramento Zoo officials say a 20-year-old zebra has been euthanized after a rapid decline in health.
- Cavendish wins stage, Alaphilippe wins Tour of California Updated: May-22-16 7:58 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - It took Julian Alaphilippe just a bit longer than he hoped to top the podium at the Tour of California.
- 12-year-old California student ready to start university Updated: May-22-16 7:28 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A 12-year-old Sacramento student who already has three community college degrees and has been accepted to two University of California campuses says he plans on studying biomedical engineering and becoming a doctor and medical researcher by the time he turns 18.
- Spring storm drops rain in parts of Northern California Updated: May-22-16 12:55 am
TRUCKEE, California - A spring storm dropped rain in parts of Northern California on Saturday afternoon, but it was less severe than the one a day earlier that dumped up to 13 inches of snow on a Sierra Nevada highway and hit the Sacramento area lightning, winds gusting to 40 mph and dime-sized hail.
- Correction: California Budget-Transportation story Updated: May-20-16 4:21 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - In a story May 19 about transportation funding cuts, The Associated Press reported erroneously the last name of the California Transportation Commission chairman. He is Bobby Alvarado, not Bobby Alvarez.
- Signatures submitted for pro-death penalty ballot measure Updated: May-19-16 7:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - A campaign for a ballot initiative to speed executions for inmates on death row in California submitted signatures Thursday to appear on an increasingly crowded ballot that is expected to include an opposing measure to repeal capital punishment.
- Judge: California delta land deal can move forward Updated: May-19-16 7:07 pm
FRESNO, California - Southern California's largest water supplier can move ahead with plans to buy sprawling farmland that could be used to help build twin tunnels far to the north through the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, a judge ruled Thursday.
- German shepherd survives 5 weeks on California freeway Updated: May-19-16 5:33 pm
GALT, California - A dog that fell from a truck onto a California freeway eluded capture for five weeks among the oleander bushes of the median before being rescued.
- The Latest: California lets local water districts set saving Updated: May-18-16 8:13 pm
FRESNO, California - The Latest on California water conservation during drought (all times local):
- More than a third of state prisons still giving poor care Updated: May-18-16 6:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A scathing inspector general's report released Wednesday finds medical care remains "markedly inadequate" at a Northern California state prison, as more than a third of the prisons inspected since last year still are deemed to be providing poor care.
- Sacramento jury sides with deputies alleging discrimination Updated: May-18-16 9:48 am
SACRAMENTO, California - A Sacramento jury has ruled in favor of four female sheriff's deputies who say their superiors retaliated against them for speaking out against discrimination in their ranks.
- State treasurer will begin raising money for governor bid Updated: May-17-16 8:30 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California Treasurer John Chiang announced Tuesday that he will begin raising money to run for governor in 2018, marking an early start to his bid to become the state's first Asian chief executive.
- 4 guards hurt at California prison day after 1 inmate shot Updated: May-17-16 5:38 pm
FOLSOM, California - Authorities say one guard was stabbed and another has a broken wrist after an inmate attacked them at a Northern California prison.
- 1 inmate shot, 1 stabbed at Northern California prison Updated: May-16-16 8:01 pm
FOLSOM, California - Authorities say a prison guard shot one inmate to break up an attack by at least three inmates on another prisoner at a maximum security Northern California prison.
- Man dies after assault at Northern California music festival Updated: May-16-16 3:06 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Northern California authorities say a 31-year-old man is dead following an altercation at a heavily attended music festival.
- Deputies arrest California man for Target store bomb threat Updated: May-16-16 9:02 am
SACRAMENTO, California - Sacramento authorities have arrested a man they believe called in a bomb threat to a Target store.
- Small fire causes several injuries at Sacramento music fest Updated: May-15-16 9:25 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Authorities say at least 7 people were injured when a deep fryer caught fire at a Sacramento music festival.
- California ballot measure blamed for shoplifting jump Updated: May-14-16 2:03 pm
ROCKLIN, California - Perry Lutz says his struggle to survive as a small businessman became a lot harder after California voters reduced theft penalties 1½ years ago.
- Bill mandating rape-kit data clears California Assembly Updated: May-12-16 6:49 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The California Assembly on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a proposal requiring local police departments to report how many rape kits they collect and give a reason for every kit that goes untested in an effort to reduce the accumulation of untested DNA samples taken in sexual assault cases.
- Union coalition campaigns to extend income tax increases Updated: May-11-16 6:46 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A group of unions, hospitals and doctors said Wednesday it will turn in more than enough signatures to qualify a ballot initiative asking Californians to extend for another 12 years a tax increase on the wealthy that was pitched to voters four years ago as temporary.
- California congressman's father admits illegal donations Updated: May-10-16 7:32 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The father of a California congressman admitted Tuesday that he illegally arranged for nearly $270,000 in campaign contributions to his son's 2010 and 2012 campaigns.
- $500K revamp of state website aggregates California services Updated: May-10-16 6:53 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - The state of California has redesigned its main website to offer one-stop-shopping for business licenses, health care, lottery numbers and other services on a single web page.
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger Updated: May-10-16 4:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Vlade Divac's first coaching search as general manager of the Sacramento Kings was methodical. He talked to about a dozen candidates over several weeks and was ready to bring in three finalists for a second interview before settling on a pick.
- FedEx truck driver who struck CHP officer arrested for DUI Updated: May-08-16 11:54 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A FedEx truck driver who struck and seriously injured a California Highway Patrol officer in Sacramento has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.
- Labor's lost love highlights California congressional race Updated: May-08-16 12:55 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrat Ami Bera retained his Sacramento County congressional seat two years ago by the slimmest of margins - fewer than 1,500 votes, many drummed up by union supporters who helped him tip the balance in a district that had long been held by Republicans.