- As A-bomb survivors age, Japanese pass storytelling to young Updated: Aug-02-15 3:22 am
KUNITACHI, Japan - On a recent weekend, an 84-year-old survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bombing retraced his movements on a map: the inferno during his 20-kilometer (12-mile) walk home, the "black rain" of falling radioactive particles and how he felt sick days later.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- Head of failed Japan-based bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox arrested Updated: Aug-01-15 6:28 am
TOKYO - The head of the failed Japan-based bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox was arrested in Tokyo on Saturday on suspicion of inflating his cash account by $1 million, authorities said.
- 3 ex-TEPCO execs to face criminal charges in nuclear crisis Updated: Jul-31-15 10:44 am
TOKYO - A Japanese judicial committee has decided that three former utility executives should face criminal charges and stand trial for their alleged negligence in the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
- Honda records 20 pct profit rise on yen, despite recalls Updated: Jul-31-15 9:04 am
TOKYO - Japanese automaker Honda reported Friday a 20 percent jump in fiscal first quarter profit on the back of a cheap yen that offset the damage from a massive air bag recall.
- Belgian designer to insist Tokyo changes Olympic logo Updated: Jul-31-15 8:59 am
BRUSSELS - A Belgian designer will approach the IOC and the organizers of the Tokyo Olympics to change the logo of the 2020 Games because it bears too much resemblance to his emblem for the Theatre de Liege.
- Tokyo Olympic chief apologizes to IOC over stadium change Updated: Jul-29-15 5:30 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Japanese organizers apologized to the IOC on Wednesday over the scrapping of the original plans for the Olympic stadium and delivered assurances that the new venue will be ready in time for the 2020 Games.
- Tokyo Olympic stadium designer strikes back at critics Updated: Jul-28-15 8:59 am
TOKYO - The architects behind a scrapped plan for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic stadium blamed the bidding process and rocketing building costs for the spiraling price tag, striking back at claims that it was because of the design.
- Small plane crashes in Tokyo neighborhood; 3 dead, 3 survive Updated: Jul-26-15 11:56 am
TOKYO - A small plane crashed into a quiet neighborhood in Tokyo on Sunday, killing the pilot, a passenger and a woman on the ground, while three people were pulled alive from the wreckage, officials said.
- Japan's Nikkei pledges to respect Financial Times culture Updated: Jul-24-15 5:40 am
TOKYO - Nikkei Inc., the Japanese buyer of the Financial Times, pledged Friday to respect the culture of the London-based business daily, while also tapping its digital expertise and global reach.
- China warns Japan against shirking responsibility for WWII Updated: Jul-23-15 9:18 am
TOKYO - A Chinese envoy on Thursday warned Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe not to shirk responsibility for Japan's wartime aggression in his statement marking the 70th anniversary of the end of the hostilities.
- Detroit Mayor Duggan to visit Japan's Toyota City, Tokyo Updated: Jul-21-15 3:17 pm
DETROIT - Mike Duggan will visit Japan on his first international trip as Detroit mayor.
- Japanese officials suggest revising Olympic stadium plan Updated: Jul-16-15 12:50 pm
TOKYO - Japanese political leaders said Thursday the new main stadium for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is too costly and called for cost-cutting efforts to reduce the burden on taxpayers.
- A look at the world's billion-dollar sports stadiums Updated: Jul-15-15 10:03 am
TOKYO - The first sports stadium to break the $1 billion barrier was London's Wembley Stadium. Now, Tokyo's planned National Stadium for the 2020 Olympics will be the first to reach $2 billion, according to the latest cost estimate. The world's billion-dollar stadiums:
- Tokyo Olympic venue shaping up as world's costliest stadium Updated: Jul-15-15 9:13 am
TOKYO - When the dust settles on the marquee venue for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, it could well be the most expensive sports stadium in the world.
- Miyazaki's 1st fully CG film is story of tiny caterpillar Updated: Jul-13-15 11:25 am
KOGANEI, Japan - The master of animation Hayao Miyazaki is working on his first fully computer-generated film - a short anime about a tiny, hairy caterpillar.
- Tokyo 2020 Olympics minister says donations appropriate Updated: Jul-09-15 10:15 am
TOKYO - Japan's newly appointed Olympics minister insists donations made to his political support group were handled appropriately.
- Report: Toyota executive arrested in Japan to be released Updated: Jul-07-15 8:20 am
TOKYO - The American Toyota executive who was arrested in Japan last month on suspicion of drug law violations is expected to be released Wednesday without being prosecuted, according to Japan's Kyodo News service.
- World's oldest man dies in Japan at the age of 112 Updated: Jul-07-15 2:41 am
TOKYO - The world's oldest man, a retired educator from Japan, has died at the age of 112, an official said Tuesday.