- Effort to ban microbeads in California falls short Updated: Sep-03-15 10:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - California legislation to ban microscopic beads in personal care products has fallen short of the needed votes.
- 3 shot, 1 killed, gunman sought on Sacramento college campus Updated: Sep-03-15 10:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Police say at least one victim was a student in a shooting that left one person dead and two people injured in the parking lot of Sacramento City College.
- California governor offers $3.6 billion annual highway plan Updated: Sep-03-15 10:04 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Gov. Jerry Brown's administration is proposing to spend $3.6 billion a year for repairs to California's crumbling transportation infrastructure, with some of the money to come from a $65 annual fee on vehicle registrations and increases in diesel and gas taxes tied to inflation.
- Padres recall LHP Frank Garces Updated: Sep-03-15 9:41 pm
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Padres have recalled left-hander Frank Garces from Triple-A El Paso on Thursday.
- Lawmakers move to override voters on 'date rape' drugs Updated: Sep-03-15 9:27 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - State lawmakers are asking Gov. Jerry Brown to override one portion of the voter-approved Proposition 47, which reduced penalties for some crimes.
- Jim Young, member of lone Santa Clara Final Four team, dies Updated: Sep-03-15 9:09 pm
QUINCY, California - Jim Young, a member of the only Santa Clara University basketball team to reach the Final Four in 1952, has died. He was 82.
- Judge: Suspect's confession OK in California pier shooting Updated: Sep-03-15 9:01 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A judge declined Thursday to toss out the confession of a suspect charged with murder in a San Francisco shooting at the center of the national immigration debate.
- Assembly Democrats elect next speaker from Los Angeles area Updated: Sep-03-15 8:56 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Democrats in the California Assembly have unanimously elected their next leader after the current speaker tried to stave off a vote until next year.
- Metrolink evaluating train car safety in wake of accident Updated: Sep-03-15 8:53 pm
LOS ANGELES - Metrolink is evaluating the safety of its crash-resistant cars and removing them from the front of trains in the wake of a deadly Southern California derailment, the railroad said Thursday.
- Norovirus suspected for Chipotle illnesses in Simi Valley Updated: Sep-03-15 8:44 pm
VENTURA, California - Health officials say a foodborne virus may have sickened nearly 100 customers and employees last month at a Chipotle restaurant in Ventura County.
- Los Angeles reduces kill rate at animal shelters Updated: Sep-03-15 8:42 pm
LOS ANGELES - An audit says one in four animals at Los Angeles shelters was euthanized last year but the city is making progress toward its goal of becoming a "no-kill" city.
- Holiday campers warned of smoke from California wildfire Updated: Sep-03-15 8:41 pm
FRESNO, California - Smoke from a large wildfire burning in California's Sierra Nevada has prompted a health warning for Labor Day weekend campers.
- Effort fails to block PG&E tax break for gas explosion fine Updated: Sep-03-15 8:38 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - An effort to block Pacific Gas and Electric Co. from getting a tax break on the $1.6 billion it was fined for the deadly 2010 San Bruno gas explosion has fallen short.
- Humboldt judge reprimanded for slow work, false pay reports Updated: Sep-03-15 8:22 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A Humboldt County Superior Court judge was reprimanded Thursday for failing to issue timely decisions in 20 cases and submitting false affidavits that claimed he was up to speed with his work.
- Showers, visitors back as prison manages respiratory disease Updated: Sep-03-15 8:05 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - San Quentin State Prison is allowing visitors to return and regular showers to resume as it deals with a respiratory illness among inmates.
- Airman who helped stop train attack set to return to US Updated: Sep-03-15 7:52 pm
TRAVIS AIR FORCE BASE, California - The U.S. Air Force airman who was injured when he and two childhood friends tackled a heavily armed gunman on a Paris-bound train is on his way back to his native California.
- 2 dead after small plane crashes into California driveway Updated: Sep-03-15 7:01 pm
SANTEE, California - A small plane grazed the roof of a California home and crashed in a driveway Thursday, killing two people onboard, authorities said. Nobody on the ground was hurt.
- ACLU wants feds to withhold funds from LAPD for body cameras Updated: Sep-03-15 6:56 pm
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Police Department's effort to equip officers with body cameras has run up against an unlikely obstacle - the ACLU of Southern California.
- 8 arrested on suspicion of counterfeit-to-cash scheme Updated: Sep-03-15 6:52 pm
SEAL BEACH, California - Eight people were arrested Thursday in California in a probe of gang members suspected of shopping with counterfeit money at big box retailers and returning the goods for cash refunds.
- California fugitive shot by Sparks police remains critical Updated: Sep-03-15 6:47 pm
RENO, Nevada - A California fugitive who was shot in the face by a Sparks police officer when he fled U.S. marshals attempting to serve an arrest warrant at a Reno apartment building remains in critical but stable condition.
- Personal debate held over rules governing gays giving blood Updated: Sep-03-15 6:43 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - A California lawmaker drew from experience Thursday in an unusually personal debate over federal rules governing whether gay or bisexual men can donate blood.
- 3 California deputies arrested; inmate died of blunt trauma Updated: Sep-03-15 6:29 pm
SAN JOSE, California - Three Northern California jail guards have been arrested after an inmate under their watch was found dead of multiple blunt trauma, authorities said Thursday.
- After sanctions, No. 8 USC relies on youth for roster depth Updated: Sep-03-15 6:15 pm
LOS ANGELES - Although "How Soon is Now?" isn't on the playlist that blares during practices at Southern California, The Smiths' classic song sums up the balance between youth and experience that the No. 8 Trojans are trying to navigate this season.
- Big settlement in tech wage case harks back to different era Updated: Sep-03-15 5:58 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - A federal judge has approved a $415 million settlement that ends a lengthy legal saga revolving around allegations that Apple, Google and several other Silicon Valley companies illegally conspired to prevent their workers from getting better job offers.
- Bill tags sex offenders who remove location-tracking devices Updated: Sep-03-15 4:37 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Sex offenders who willfully remove their location-tracking devices would face up to three years in state prison under a bill sent to Gov. Jerry Brown.