- Banner-towing plane crashes on California beach; 2 injured Updated: Jul-04-15 8:22 pm
CARLSBAD, California - Authorities say two people were injured after a small plane crashed on a crowded beach in Southern California.
- Hernandez finally loses in Oakland, Mariners fall 2-0 Updated: Jul-04-15 7:53 pm
OAKLAND, California - Felix Hernandez turned in another quality start despite not having his best stuff. He still lost a second straight decision for the first time this season.
- Slain woman's parents focused on healing, not sanctuary law Updated: Jul-04-15 7:52 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The parents of a woman killed at a San Francisco pier say they are focused on healing and not on the fact that the man accused of shooting her has been deported five times.
- A's end home skid against King Felix, beat Mariners 2-0 Updated: Jul-04-15 7:45 pm
- Apartment building with staircase death had earlier collapse Updated: Jul-04-15 7:10 pm
FOLSOM, California - A falling staircase that killed a tenant at a Northern California apartment building was due to be repaired after another set of steps collapsed a year ago, the Sacramento Bee reported.
- Despaigne pitches well in Padres' 2-1 loss to Cardinals Updated: Jul-04-15 7:04 pm
ST. LOUIS - San Diego right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne changed his approach slightly Saturday and for the most part it worked.
- Diana Douglas, 1st wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92 Updated: Jul-04-15 6:31 pm
LOS ANGELES - Diana Douglas, the first wife of Kirk Douglas and mother of Michael Douglas, died Saturday in Los Angeles. She was 92.
- Matt Stonie tops Joey Chestnut in hot dog eating contest Updated: Jul-04-15 5:07 pm
NEW YORK - Matt Stonie shocked the competitive eating world Saturday by upsetting Joey "Jaws" Chestnut at the Fourth of July hot dog eating contest at Nathan's Famous in Coney Island, thwarting Chestnut's bid for a ninth straight victory.
- Bumgarner struggles; Giants suffer 9-3 loss to Nats Updated: Jul-04-15 4:54 pm
WASHINGTON - Madison Bumgarner barely broke a sweat before the Nationals got to him.
- A year on, children caught on border struggle to stay, adapt Updated: Jul-04-15 4:10 pm
LOS ANGELES - At 1-year-old, a wide-eyed, restless Joshua Tinoco faces the prospect of deportation to his native Honduras, one of tens of thousands of children who arrived at the U.S.-Mexico border last year.
- Marshall neuroscience chief jumped at chance to hire surgeon Updated: Jul-04-15 2:05 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - Marshall University has recruited a noted surgeon who ran into trouble experimenting with human brains using bowel bacteria but will continue the same research on rats under tight restrictions.
- Businesses search for solutions with container shippers gone Updated: Jul-04-15 1:08 pm
MEDFORD, Oregon - International trade routes have changed for Oregon importers and exporters.
- 2 Los Angeles officers hurt in patrol car crash Updated: Jul-04-15 11:54 am
LOS ANGELES - A crash involving a Los Angeles police car and a hit-and-run driver has injured two officers.
- Police kill 3 men in 2 days in Southern California Updated: Jul-04-15 11:44 am
LANCASTER, California - Police have confronted and killed three men in two days in Southern California.
- Mardi Gras business lasts all 12 months at Jefferson Variety Updated: Jul-04-15 11:04 am
JEFFERSON, Louisiana - All year long, Jill Schneider works to create the most coveted specialty throw of the Krewe of Muses Mardi Gras parade, the decorative shoe. A member of the all-female krewe for 6 years, Schneider has transformed a workroom attached to her New Orleans home into a gallery of glitter, a studio of sequins, an art house of appliques and a sparkly shrine for her embellished high heel shoes.
- Dodgers begin 10-game homestand with 2-1 loss to Mets Updated: Jul-04-15 2:56 am
- Mets begin road trip with 2-1 win over Dodgers Updated: Jul-04-15 2:29 am
LOS ANGELES - Noah Snydergaard is growing up quickly in the major leagues.
- Toliver sets record as LA Sparks beat Tulsa Shock 98-95 Updated: Jul-04-15 1:59 am
LOS ANGELES - Kristi Toliver suffered with every loss as the Sparks got off to their worst start in franchise history.
- 4 home runs too much for A's to overcome Updated: Jul-04-15 1:54 am
OAKLAND, California - Jesse Chavez still can't get a win against the Seattle Mariners. Towering two-run home runs by Logan Morrison and Seth Smith made sure of that.
- 2 shot outside Northern California store identified Updated: Jul-03-15 10:28 pm
COTTONWOOD, California - A man who allegedly gunned down a woman and her father outside a Northern California store is the woman's ex-husband.
- Former Leafs GM Dave Nonis joins Ducks' front office Updated: Jul-03-15 9:47 pm
ANAHEIM, California - Former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has joined the Anaheim Ducks' front office as a special assignment scout and consultant to general manager Bob Murray.
- LA Kings re-sign D Jamie McBain to 1-year deal Updated: Jul-03-15 9:33 pm
LOS ANGELES - Defenseman Jamie McBain has agreed to a one-year deal to return to the Los Angeles Kings.
- Anaheim Ducks sign Shawn Horcoff to 1-year, $1.75 mill deal Updated: Jul-03-15 9:18 pm
ANAHEIM, California - Veteran center Shawn Horcoff has agreed to a one-year, $1.75 million deal with the Anaheim Ducks.
- AP sources: Kings agree to deals with Rondo, Belinelli Updated: Jul-03-15 8:50 pm
After missing targets at the start of free agency, the Sacramento Kings finally filled out their backcourt Friday.
- Prison's medical care deemed OK despite pressure to close it Updated: Jul-03-15 7:22 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Medical care at a prison east of Los Angeles has been deemed adequate despite claims that the facility is unsafe and should be closed.