- Crop duster crash kills pilot in southeast California Updated: Jun-03-15 6:19 am
BLYTHE, California - The pilot of a crop duster died when his airplane crashed in an alfalfa field near Blythe.
- Developer faces possible prosecution for Bel Air mansion Updated: Jun-03-15 6:15 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Building and Safety Department is planning to refer a Bel Air mansion owner to the Los Angeles city attorney's office for prosecution after the developer lost his bid for more time to bring the home up to city codes.
- Los Angeles County appeals social worker returning to job Updated: Jun-03-15 6:14 am
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services is going to court in an effort to stop a social worker who supervised the case of a Palmdale boy who was beaten to death from returning to work.
- San Francisco board rejects building suspension Updated: Jun-03-15 5:16 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Check out rental sites for San Francisco, especially the trendier parts: Well over $3,000 a month for a one-bedroom flat and nearly $5,000 for two bedrooms.
- Kennedy outduels Syndergaard in Padres' 7-2 win over Mets Updated: Jun-03-15 3:54 am
SAN DIEGO - Although Noah Syndergaard showed flashes of his considerable talent, the New York Mets' highly touted rookie didn't show enough.
- Kennedy outduels Syndergaard in Padres' 7-2 win over Mets Updated: Jun-03-15 3:53 am
SAN DIEGO - There was nothing to indicate that San Diego's Ian Kennedy would get the better of New York Mets phenom Noah Syndergaard. He did.
- Southern California broker pleads guilty in $6 million fraud Updated: Jun-03-15 3:52 am
SAN DIEGO - A stockbroker who stole more than $6 million from Southern California investors has pleaded guilty to federal wire fraud.
- Santa Rosa man charged with 1974 Orange County killing Updated: Jun-03-15 3:16 am
SANTA ANA, California - Authorities have charged a Northern California man with strangling an Orange County woman more than 40 years ago.
- Marines to honor troops killed in Nepal in helicopter crash Updated: Jun-03-15 2:39 am
SAN DIEGO - The Marine Corps will honor six Marines who were killed in a helicopter crash while on a rescue mission for earthquake victims in Nepal.
- California's largest lake threatened by urban water transfer Updated: Jun-03-15 2:37 am
SALTON CITY, California - Once-bustling marinas on shallow water in California's largest lake a few years ago are bone-dry. Carcasses of oxygen-starved tilapia lie on desolate shores. Flocks of eared grebes and shoreline birds bob up and down to feast on marine life.
- Angels struck out 15 times by Rays' Archer in 6-1 loss Updated: Jun-03-15 2:30 am
ANAHEIM, California - Albert Pujols was the only hitter in the Los Angeles Angels' lineup who found Chris Archer's pitches to his liking. One of them resulted in his 534th career home run, which tied Jimmie Foxx for 17th place on the all-time list.
- Crawford homers but Giants drop fourth straight Updated: Jun-03-15 2:25 am
SAN FRANCISCO - A fourth straight loss at home didn't bother Giants manager Bruce Bochy as much as his ballclub's inability to get hits in key situations.
- Archer ties Rays record with 15 Ks in 6-1 win over Angels Updated: Jun-03-15 1:57 am
ANAHEIM, California - Chris Archer was in the zone in more ways than one, toying with the Los Angeles Angels' hitters with his fastball and slider to a point where they didn't know what to swing at. And when they did, they usually missed.
- McCutchen leads Pirates past Giants, 7-4 Updated: Jun-03-15 1:39 am
- Officials look to identify pilot killed in small plane crash Updated: Jun-03-15 1:31 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Authorities are on the scene of a deadly small plane crash investigating the incident and could have the identity of the pilot later Tuesday.
- Student to don eagle feather at graduation after agreement Updated: Jun-03-15 1:20 am
SAN FRANCISCO - Attorneys for a Native American student and officials with a California school district have reached an agreement that allows him to wear an eagle feather to his high school graduation.
- Court upholds sentence for son of Schwarzenegger ally Updated: Jun-03-15 12:07 am
SAN DIEGO - A California appeals court on Tuesday upheld former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's decision to dramatically reduce the manslaughter sentence of a political ally's son, saying his conduct may be considered wrong but it didn't violate any laws.
- Tigers lose 5th in a row, 5-3 to Athletics Updated: Jun-03-15 12:02 am
DETROIT - Ian Kinsler fielded a sharp groundball, realized he had no play at second, then quickly threw home.
- 2004 Nobel chemistry winner Irwin Rose dies at 88 Updated: Jun-02-15 11:28 pm
DEERFIELD, Massachusetts - Irwin Rose, a biochemist who shared the 2004 Nobel Prize in chemistry for discovering a way that cells destroy unwanted proteins - the basis for developing new therapies for diseases such as cervical cancer and cystic fibrosis - has died. He was 88.
- Zobrist's grand slam lifts A's to 5-3 win over Tigers Updated: Jun-02-15 11:27 pm
DETROIT - Ben Zobrist figured his line drive with the bases loaded was hit hard enough to go over the right fielder's head.
- Fish lead to brief suspension of California oil cleanup Updated: Jun-02-15 11:15 pm
LOS ANGELES - Nighttime beach cleanup of a Southern California oil spill will be temporarily suspended because of the seasonal spawning of fish in the sand.
- San Diego TV anchor testifies at suspected shooter's hearing Updated: Jun-02-15 11:02 pm
SAN DIEGO - A San Diego television sports anchor testified Tuesday at a court hearing for a house painter charged with shooting him six times in a dispute over money.
- Southern California, LSU reach NCAA golf final Updated: Jun-02-15 10:59 pm
BRADENTON, Florida - Eric Sugimoto beat Nick Hardy 3 and 1 to lift Southern California past Illinois on Tuesday in the NCAA semifinals.
- Mets' Wright confident he'll return from back injury Updated: Jun-02-15 10:46 pm
SAN DIEGO - New York Mets third baseman David Wright is confident he'll return this season from his back injury.
- Thousands urge Brown to boost Medi-Cal spending Updated: Jun-02-15 10:39 pm
SACRAMENTO, California - Thousands of Californians rallied outside the state Capitol Tuesday to call on Gov. Jerry Brown to increase funding for Medi-Cal, the state's health insurance program for the poor.