- Marlins jump to early lead, but fall 7-4 to Nationals Updated: Aug-30-15 7:39 pm
WASHINGTON - With his team long out of contention and slugger Giancarlo Stanton nearing his return, Marlins manager Dan Jennings is embracing his team's role as spoilers in the NL East playoff race.
- White House renames Mount McKinley as Denali on eve of trip Updated: Aug-30-15 7:27 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration will change the name of North America's tallest mountain peak from Mount McKinley to Denali, the White House said Sunday, a major symbolic gesture to Alaska Natives on the eve of President Barack Obama's historic visit to Alaska.
- Werth homers, drives in 3 as Nationals beat Marlins 7-4 Updated: Aug-30-15 5:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Jayson Werth homered and drove in three runs, and Clint Robinson added a pinch-hit home run as the Nationals had 13 hits and rallied past the Marlins 7-4 on Sunday.
- Blue Angels to fly over the Pentagon and DC area Updated: Aug-30-15 5:17 am
WASHINGTON - The Blue Angels will be flying over the Pentagon and the Washington area this weekend as part of a team photo shoot.
- GOP Senate candidates slam Obama, "Washington Republicans" Updated: Aug-29-15 2:01 pm
TAMPA, Florida - They railed against the Obama administration's foreign policy. They scolded "Washington Republicans." And they decried the $18 trillion national debt and the dysfunction of a Congress that cannot get anything done.
- 2 killed, 5 injured in shootings as DC deploys more police Updated: Aug-29-15 12:21 pm
WASHINGTON - As District of Columbia police deployed more officers to confront a spike in violent crime, shootings have left two more people dead and at least five injured.
- Illinois' Durbin gets a shot at political redemption Updated: Aug-29-15 9:53 am
WASHINGTON - For all its fraught politics and geopolitical import, the Iran nuclear agreement offers something very personal for Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois: a chance at political redemption.
- As Common Core results trickle in, initial goals unfulfilled Updated: Aug-29-15 9:31 am
LOS ANGELES - Results for some of the states that participated in Common Core-aligned testing for the first time this spring are out, with overall scores higher than expected though still below what many parents may be accustomed to seeing.
- Barraclough escapes jam, Marlins win 4-3 over Nationals Updated: Aug-28-15 11:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Miami Marlins rookie reliever Kyle Barraclough will quickly earn the trust of his manager with escapes like the one he pulled Friday night.
- Pentagon funding new high-tech venture Updated: Aug-28-15 5:21 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced Friday that the Pentagon is funding a new venture to develop cutting-edge electronics and sensors that can flex and stretch and could be built into clothing or the skins of ships and aircraft.
- Vote tally in favor of Iran deal climbs to 30 in Senate Updated: Aug-28-15 2:35 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Tom Carper of Delaware on Friday became the 30th senator to announce support for the Iran nuclear deal, as momentum for the White House-backed agreement grows.
- Things to know: EPA water rules take effect in some states Updated: Aug-28-15 3:21 am
WASHINGTON - New federal rules to protect smaller streams, tributaries and wetlands took effect on Friday - but only in some states.
- Werth, Zimmerman homer as Nationals defeat Padres 4-2 Updated: Aug-28-15 12:03 am
WASHINGTON - The Washington Nationals pulled out a big win on the field Thursday night. Off the field, they didn't do quite as well.
- Black Lives Matter boos Washington mayor's anti-crime plans Updated: Aug-27-15 2:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Talks between Obama, Saudi king will include Iran's actions Updated: Aug-27-15 12:48 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says next week's visit by Saudi Arabia's King Salman will include talks about Yemen, Syria and Iran's actions to destabilize the region.
- Protesters interrupt DC mayor's violent crime announcement Updated: Aug-27-15 12:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Protesters who interrupted District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser's announcement of her crime-fighting platform say increasing police powers won't reduce violence and the mayor is only paying superficial attention to their concerns.
- Secrets have long slipped into State Department email Updated: Aug-27-15 3:06 am
WASHINGTON - During the 2012 attack on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, State Department officials in Washington were emailing one another with updates in real time. Embedded in those messages were nuggets of classified information, including an apparent reference to a CIA facility that was a closely guarded secret.
- Washington Monument elevator stops working again Updated: Aug-26-15 10:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The Washington Monument will open as scheduled at 9 a.m. on Thursday. Elevator technicians have completed their work and cleared the elevator for service. Ticket distribution for Thursday visits will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Washington Monument Lodge (15th Street between Madison and Jefferson drives).
- Fate of Nebraska's death penalty likely to rest with voters Updated: Aug-26-15 7:28 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Nebraska's death penalty won a last-minute reprieve on Wednesday when a group fighting to keep the punishment announced that it has collected more than enough signatures to stop its repeal and place the issue before voters in 2016.
- DC regulators reject proposed merger of Exelon, Pepco Updated: Aug-25-15 5:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Regulators in the District of Columbia rejected the proposed merger of power companies Exelon and Pepco on Tuesday, saying the deal would not benefit ratepayers.
- White House: Obama's 'crazies' reference a 'little too flip' Updated: Aug-25-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama's reference to "the crazies" in Congress may have been "a little too flip" and was not about Iran.
- Report could speed up diplomatic training center in Va. Updated: Aug-24-15 3:20 pm
State Department officials are hoping a soon-to-be released report will help end wrangling in Congress that has delayed construction on a diplomatic security training center at a National Guard base in Virginia.
- Iran deal picks up support following Reid's endorsement Updated: Aug-24-15 11:48 am
WASHINGTON - With Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid on board, the nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers is picking up momentum to survive fierce opposition from Republican and Israeli opponents.
- Film industry spokeswoman to be Biden's communications chief Updated: Aug-24-15 6:05 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden has chosen a top film industry official and former spokeswoman for John Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign to be his new communications director, the White House said Monday.
- Obama sheds summer curse, just in time for daunting fall Updated: Aug-23-15 10:49 pm
EDGARTOWN, Massachusetts - President Barack Obama may have finally shed his summer curse - just in time for a daunting fall.