- European Games come to a close in Azerbaijan Updated: Jun-28-15 2:51 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Just as the inaugural European Games have sought to establish themselves on the global sporting calendar, so host nation Azerbaijan has used the event to make its mark on the world stage.
- Azerbaijan tipped to bid for Olympics Updated: Jun-28-15 5:57 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - The head of the European Olympic Committees says he expects Azerbaijan's capital Baku to bid for the Olympics after hosting this month's European Games.
- British European Games worker killed in crash Updated: Jun-24-15 2:43 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A British national working at the inaugural European Games in Azerbaijan has been killed in a road accident in the capital Baku.
- Azerbaijan interested in running/sponsoring F1 team Updated: Jun-23-15 1:10 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan's sports minister said Tuesday he wants a Formula One team to be run under the national flag, adding the government would support any companies interested in the project.
- Azerbaijan says 2024 Olympic bid possible Updated: Jun-23-15 12:21 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan could bid for the 2024 Olympics after hosting this month's European Games but wants IOC requirements on the host nation to be reduced, the country's sports minister said Tuesday.
- At European Games, athletics attracts a motley crew Updated: Jun-22-15 1:36 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - With a vast, brand new stadium and passionate home crowds, European Games athletics offers a near-Olympic experience. There's just one thing missing - the Olympic athletes.
- Correction: European Games-Opening Ceremony story Updated: Jun-13-15 12:02 pm
BAKU, Azerbaijan - In a story June 12 about the opening ceremony of the European Games, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev entered the stadium carrying a torch. The torchbearer was Ilham Zakiyev, a two-time Paralympic gold medal-winning judo athlete.
- Lady Gaga hidden in hotel for days before games show Updated: Jun-13-15 4:07 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Singer Lady Gaga spent several days hiding in a hotel in Baku, Azerbaijan to keep her presence a secret before she performed at the European Games.
- Azerbaijan: jailed dissident speaks out on games opening day Updated: Jun-12-15 9:44 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - A journalist jailed in Azerbaijan has criticized the country for corruption and human rights violations on the day the first European Games get underway in the capital, Baku.
- Azerbaijan criticized over rights as European Games begin Updated: Jun-11-15 11:29 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Just over a mile from the gleaming white facade of Baku's new Olympic Stadium, an oil refinery tower lights up the sky. Its flame fits neatly with Azerbaijan's marketing line to would-be tourists - "the land of fire" - but it's also a powerful reminder of the oil wealth that made it possible to build the 68,000-seat arena.
- European Games under pressure before opening ceremony Updated: Jun-11-15 5:29 am
BAKU, Azerbaijan - Even before their first opening ceremony, the European Games are struggling.
- Netherlands pulls out of hosting 2nd European Games in 2019 Updated: Jun-10-15 9:51 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - On the eve of the inaugural European Games in Azerbaijan, the Netherlands on Wednesday pulled out of hosting the second edition of the multi-sport event in 2019.