- Spanish woman arrested for recruiting girls, teens for IS Updated: Jul-07-15 12:23 pm
MADRID - Spanish police on Tuesday arrested a woman suspected of recruiting pre-teen girls and teenagers to send to areas controlled by the Islamic State armed group in Syria.
- Madrid to remove references to Franco in street names Updated: Jul-06-15 1:56 pm
MADRID - Madrid's new leftist city council says it will remove all references to the dictatorship of Gen. Francisco Franco in names of streets and plazas in the Spanish capital.
- Wildfires break out in Spain, Portugal; 1,350 evacuated Updated: Jul-05-15 11:29 am
MADRID - More than 1,350 residents were evacuated in Spain's northeastern region of Aragon as a wildfire spread through a pine forest amid a lingering heat wave, a local official said Sunday.
- Madrid buys back Lucas Vazquez from Espanyol Updated: Jul-02-15 11:17 am
MADRID - Real Madrid says it has bought winger Lucas Vazquez back from fellow Spanish club Espanyol and signed him to a five-year contract.
- Inter Milan signs defender Miranda from Atletico Updated: Jul-02-15 10:57 am
- Jailed Venezuelan politician gaining weight after strike Updated: Jul-01-15 3:40 pm
MADRID - The wife of jailed Venezuelan politician Leopoldo Lopez says he has gained four kilograms (nine pounds) since he ended a 30-day hunger strike a week ago.
- Spanish club Rayo to support charities with jersey sales Updated: Jul-01-15 10:41 am
MADRID - Spanish football club Rayo Vallecano says it will donate to charitable causes such as ones fighting cancer and sexual discrimination for each of its away jerseys sold this season.
- Colombian striker Martinez moves to Atletico Madrid Updated: Jul-01-15 6:06 am
- A look at challenges Uber has faced around the world Updated: Jun-25-15 1:51 pm
PARIS - Taxi drivers in France went on strike Thursday, smashing car windows, setting tires on fire and blocking traffic to express their displeasure with American ride-hailing service Uber. Despite an October law forbidding the company's low-cost UberPop service, its drivers continue to provide rides in France.
- Rwandan general arrested in the UK on Spain's behalf Updated: Jun-23-15 8:25 am
LONDON - A Rwandan military general was arrested at London's Heathrow Airport and will appear in court later this week, British police said Tuesday, prompting an angry response from Rwandan leaders.
- Spain, US agree to make US force at Spanish base permanent Updated: Jun-17-15 12:24 pm
MADRID - Spanish and U.S. officials have signed an agreement to grant the U.S. military permanent presence at an air base in southwestern Spain, creating a center for a rapid reaction force to deal with crises in Africa and elsewhere.
- New Madrid councilor resigns over Twitter Holocaust joke Updated: Jun-15-15 10:34 am
MADRID - Madrid's new leftist mayor has moved to resolve her first political crisis by accepting the much-demanded resignation of her culture councilor over a joke he posted on Twitter about the Holocaust four years ago.
- Spain: Leftist mayors for Madrid, Barcelona in historic turn Updated: Jun-13-15 7:40 pm
MADRID - Madrid and Barcelona pulled off one of Spain's most significant political upheavals in recent memory Saturday, swearing in far-left mayors who stridently oppose the country's governing party and want to replace it in national elections later this year.
- Spain formally buries Cervantes, 400 years later Updated: Jun-11-15 10:53 am
MADRID - Spain gave its greatest writer, Miguel de Cervantes, a formal burial Thursday nearly 400 hundred years after his death, unveiling a funeral monument holding recently unearthed bone fragments believed to include those of the author of "Don Quixote."
- Spain's Zara owner Q1 profit up 28 percent on strong sales Updated: Jun-10-15 8:43 am
MADRID - Spanish clothes retailer Inditex, owner of the Zara store chain, says its net profit rose by 28 percent in the first quarter following a boost in sales.
- Juventus signs Germany midfielder Khedira from Real Madrid Updated: Jun-09-15 12:18 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus says it has signed Germany midfielder Sami Khedira from Real Madrid on a four-year contract.