- Man United says Madrid 'clumsiness' at fault in De Gea spat Updated: Sep-04-15 12:42 pm
LONDON - Manchester United believes Real Madrid is trying to deflect attention from its own "clumsiness" by blaming the English club for the collapse of David de Gea's transfer.
- Britain's Cameron: Independent Catalonia would be out of EU Updated: Sep-04-15 11:20 am
MADRID - British Prime Minister David Cameron says the Catalonia region of Spain would be forced to leave the European Union if separatists manage to pull off a secession drive and carve out a new Mediterranean nation.
- The Latest: Germany urges European unity in face of crisis Updated: Sep-04-15 9:47 am
BICSKE, Hungary - The latest news from the crisis of migrants pouring into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- Spanish train drivers go on strike but impact appears muted Updated: Sep-04-15 6:10 am
MADRID - Spanish rail company Renfe says around a quarter of its commuter and long distance trains have been canceled owing to a strike by drivers.
- Rayo Vallecano defender Amaya caught for speeding at 145 mph Updated: Sep-02-15 10:26 am
MADRID - Spanish police say they have detained Rayo Vallecano defender Antonio Amaya for driving at 234 kilometers per hour (145 mph) and charged him with dangerous driving.
- United-Madrid blame game after De Gea deadline-day debacle Updated: Sep-01-15 3:02 pm
MADRID - The deadline arrived, but the announcement never did.
- Atletico Madrid beats Sevilla 3-0 to stay in front in Spain Updated: Aug-30-15 7:02 pm
MADRID - Jorge "Koke" Resurreccion, Gabi Fernandez and substitute forward Jackson Martinez scored a goal each as Atletico Madrid defeated Sevilla 3-0 on Sunday to win its second game in a row and keep pace with Barcelona atop the Spanish league.
- Spain coach calls up David de Gea for Euro 2016 qualifiers Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
MADRID - Spain coach Vicente del Bosque on Friday included goalkeeper David de Gea, Diego Costa and Juan Mata in his squad to take on Slovakia and Macedonia in qualifying matches for next year's European Championship.
- UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw Updated: Aug-27-15 1:00 pm
MONACO - Draw made Thursday for the UEFA Champions League group stage:
- Real Madrid under pressure to win home opener Updated: Aug-27-15 4:59 am
- Barcelona heads 32-team draw for Champions League groups Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 pm
GENEVA - The Champions League season takes shape Thursday when UEFA draws 32 elite teams into groups in Monaco.
- 14 arrested in anti-jihadi raids in Morocco, Spain Updated: Aug-25-15 7:58 am
RABAT, Morocco - At least 14 suspected members of a cell that recruited jihadi fighters for the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria were arrested Tuesday in a joint operation in Morocco and Spain, authorities said.
- Spain: New leftist mayors turn back on bullfighting Updated: Aug-22-15 9:19 am
VILLAFRANCA DE LOS CABALLEROS, Spain - Bullfights or schoolbooks? A new breed of local officials in Spain are asking.
- Real Madrid extends Pepe's contract until 2017 Updated: Aug-21-15 9:02 am
MADRID - Real Madrid says defender Pepe has agreed to extend his contract until the end of the 2016-17 season.
- Atletico extends defender Godin's contract through 2019 Updated: Aug-21-15 6:38 am
MADRID - Atletico Madrid says defender Diego Godin has agreed to add another year to his contract, tying him to the Spanish club until 2019.
- Midfielder Marco Asensio set for season at Espanyol Updated: Aug-20-15 1:33 pm
MADRID - Espanyol and Real Madrid have reached an agreement for the season-long loan of attacking midfielder Marco Asensio to the Catalan club.
- Madrid aims for 11th Champions League win, to topple Barca Updated: Aug-20-15 7:32 am
MADRID - The Spanish league begins this weekend with Real Madrid determined to assert itself as Spain's top team after a season in which it fell short of the objectives it had set itself.
- Real Madrid presents new midfielder Kovacic at Bernabeu Updated: Aug-19-15 10:33 am
MADRID - Real Madrid officially presented new midfielder Mateo Kovacic to fans at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium on Wednesday.
- Barcelona defender Pique banned 4 matches for outburst Updated: Aug-19-15 8:42 am
MADRID - Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has been given a four-match ban for insulting a linesman during the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup, which his club lost 5-1 on aggregate to Athletic Bilbao.
- Ramos signs new contract with Real Madrid Updated: Aug-17-15 8:26 am
MADRID - Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos signed a new contract Monday that will tie him to the club for the next five seasons.
- Spain: Woman suspected of killing baby in cemetery arrested Updated: Aug-12-15 7:28 am
MADRID - Police say they have arrested a woman suspected of killing her 3-month old baby by slashing its throat in a cemetery chapel in a small central Spanish town.
- Spanish police fly to Corsica to retrieve Picasso work Updated: Aug-11-15 8:21 pm
MADRID - A team of Spanish police experts flew to the French island of Corsica on Tuesday to retrieve a masterpiece by Pablo Picasso that was smuggled out of Spain, where it is considered a national treasure.
- AP names Tales Azzoni as Madrid sports writer Updated: Aug-11-15 7:05 pm
MADRID - Tales Azzoni, an AP sports writer in Sao Paulo, Brazil, has been appointed as the AP's sports reporter in Madrid, responsible for covering Spain and Portugal.
- Ronaldo, Ramos to miss Real Madrid friendly with injuries Updated: Aug-08-15 10:24 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos have joined Real Madrid's list of injures players, and neither will travel to Norway for its last preseason match.
- Madrid defender Pepe injured before season opener Updated: Aug-08-15 5:27 am
MADRID - Real Madrid defender Pepe has injured his right leg two weeks before his team's first game of the season.