- New Taiwan president to visit allies Panama, Paraguay Updated: May-26-16 1:00 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan says President Tsai Ing-wen will visit allies Panama and Paraguay next month on her first overseas trip since taking office, amid speculation over possible moves by China to tighten its diplomatic noose around the self-governing island.
- New Taiwan president omits one-China principle in speech Updated: May-20-16 10:26 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's new independence-leaning President Tsai Ing-wen tread carefully around the thorny issue of relations with China in her inaugural address Friday, emphasizing the importance of two decades of growing exchanges without mentioning the one-China principle fundamental to Beijing.
- Taiwan panda's 'proof of life' photo debunks death rumors Updated: May-18-16 7:24 am
BEIJING - The subject of the photo looks out from behind bars, with newspapers arranged in front of him to prove what day it is. This "proof of life" shot is not a scene from a kidnapping but an effort by the Taipei Zoo to debunk rumors that a prized panda recently died.
- Taiwan executes man for 2014 subway stabbing spree Updated: May-11-16 2:19 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan has executed a man convicted of killing four people in a subway stabbing spree two years ago, an attack that strengthened support for the death penalty on the island, where violent crime is rare.
- Trade unions hold rallies to mark May Day; clashes Updated: May-01-16 6:19 pm
Trade unions and other groups are staging rallies around the world to mark International Workers Day. A look at some May Day events: