- Abdelkader has hat trick, Red Wings beat Leafs, Babcock 4-0 Updated: Oct-09-15 11:34 pm
DETROIT - Mike Babcock bowed his head and rubbed his brow after seeing a fourth puck go in his team's net.
- Michigan, NY artists win $200,000 grand prizes at ArtPrize Updated: Oct-09-15 9:25 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - Artists from Michigan and New York each won $200,000 grand prizes Friday at the seventh annual ArtPrize, a competition that brought 1,550 entries to western Michigan.
- Skipper guilty of drunken boating; fire chief drowned Updated: Oct-09-15 9:09 pm
NEW BALTIMORE, Michigan - A man at the helm of a boat when a Detroit-area fire chief drowned in Lake St. Clair has pleaded guilty to operating a vessel while drunk.
- Face-down dummy Halloween prank prompts repeated 911 calls Updated: Oct-09-15 7:55 pm
DETROIT - A dummy placed face down in a Detroit woman's front yard as a Halloween prank has prompted repeated visits by police.
- I didn't mean it: Public official quits, can't get job back Updated: Oct-09-15 7:28 pm
SPARTA, Michigan - A village council member in the Grand Rapids area has buyer's remorse after declaring, "I resign," during a long, contentious meeting.
- UAW leaders approve richer Fiat Chrysler contract Updated: Oct-09-15 5:56 pm
DETROIT - The United Auto Workers union unveiled a richer proposed contract with Fiat Chrysler on Friday, a week after angry union members voted down a previous agreement.
- Charges filed after woman shoots at apple pickers Updated: Oct-09-15 5:28 pm
CHARLEVOIX, Michigan - A woman in northern Michigan has been charged with assault with a dangerous weapon after firing at a couple picking apples from her property.
- Correction: Maxey Closes story Updated: Oct-09-15 5:00 pm
WHITMORE LAKE, Michigan - In a story Oct. 8 about the closure of the W.J. Maxey Boys Training School, The Associated Press, relying on information from the Livingston Daily Press & Argus, reported erroneously that two other state-run juvenile justice facilities were closed. Only Maxey was closed.
- Detroit-area man finally claims $328,000 lottery prize Updated: Oct-09-15 4:42 pm
LINCOLN PARK, Michigan - Three days before the one-year deadline, a Detroit-area man stepped forward to pick up a $328,000 Michigan lottery prize.
- Mom convicted of involuntary manslaughter in toddler's death Updated: Oct-09-15 3:37 pm
GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan - A woman has been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in the death of her 18-month-old daughter who wasn't connected to blood-oxygen monitoring equipment as she slept
- Firm donates 500 smoke detectors to Detroit Fire Department Updated: Oct-09-15 3:24 pm
DETROIT - A suburban Detroit law firm has donated 500 smoke alarms to the Detroit Fire Department intended for distribution to residents.
- Cadillac celebrating 40th anniversary of Kiss visit Updated: Oct-09-15 3:05 pm
CADILLAC, Michigan - A small northern Michigan city is celebrating the 40th anniversary of an unforgettable visit by rock 'n' roll band Kiss with two days of events and a monument dedicated to the band.
- Lawyer wins appeal over will that gives him windfall Updated: Oct-09-15 1:40 pm
CHARLEVOIX, Michigan - The Michigan appeals court has ruled in favor of a lawyer who with his sons inherited millions of dollars from a client.
- Appeals court puts hold on regulation protecting waterways Updated: Oct-09-15 1:17 pm
TRAVERSE CITY, Michigan - A federal appeals court on Friday blocked an Obama administration rule that attempts to clarify which small streams, wetlands and other waterways the government can shield from pollution and development.
- Michigan wraps up trade trip to India, seeks investment Updated: Oct-09-15 11:49 am
LANSING, Michigan - Michigan Lt. Gov. Brian Calley is wrapping up a weeklong trade trip to India, where he's highlighting investment and partnership opportunities.
- Jackson County gets $1 million loan to help with new runway Updated: Oct-09-15 11:18 am
JACKSON, Michigan - Jackson County is getting a $1 million loan to help address brownfield conditions as part of a project to build a new runway at its airport.
- Researchers get $4.2M grant to study chemical in sunscreen Updated: Oct-09-15 10:47 am
EAST LANSING, Michigan - Two Michigan State University researchers are studying whether a high-fat diet interacts with a common chemical found in sunscreen and possible effects on breast cancer risk.
- Authorities: Man, 64, injured in ultralight airplane crash Updated: Oct-09-15 9:27 am
KIMBALL TOWNSHIP, Michigan - Authorities say a 64-year-old man was critically injured when the ultralight airplane he was flying went down in St. Clair County.
- Worshippers visit metro Detroit church to see saintly relics Updated: Oct-09-15 8:20 am
PLYMOUTH, Michigan - Hundreds of worshippers at a church outside of Detroit have paid their respects to an 11-year-old saint who's considered a model of mercy.
- Group in Michigan wants Rosie the Riveter record back Updated: Oct-09-15 8:14 am
YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, Michigan - A group that's preserving a portion of a Detroit-area assembly plant where Rosie the Riveter once worked as a museum wants its world record back.
- U. of Michigan revising student sexual misconduct policy Updated: Oct-09-15 7:41 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A proposed revision to the sexual misconduct policy at the University of Michigan would allow students to appeal the school's findings in sexual assault cases to an independent arbitrator.
- White House honoring U. of Michigan research scientist Updated: Oct-09-15 6:53 am
ANN ARBOR, Michigan - A research scientist at the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute is being honored by the White House for his work.
- Baker culinary student wins top state award Updated: Oct-09-15 5:39 am
PORT HURON, Michigan - Calie Nelson likes food.
- Feds win Sierra Club lawsuit over Enbridge pipeline Updated: Oct-09-15 4:06 am
BAY CITY, Michigan - A judge has ruled in favor of the federal government and an energy company in a dispute over an oil pipeline that runs through a national forest in Oscoda County.
- Improve Detroit app fields over 10K complaints in 6 months Updated: Oct-09-15 1:16 am
DETROIT - A smartphone application that allows residents to report maintenance problems in Detroit has helped the city resolve more than 10,000 complaints in the past six months.