- Asafa Powell likes flying under radar to world championships Updated: Jul-02-15 12:12 pm
PARIS - Offered a glass of water in a sweltering Parisian heat wave, Asafa Powell shook his head, preferring the risk of thirst.
- Monsters mix with the Great Wall in Matt Damon US-China film Updated: Jul-02-15 7:32 am
BEIJING - Matt Damon, one of China's favorite Hollywood stars, said Thursday he was overwhelmed at the fans turning up at his hotel in China - not for him but for an ex-boy band singer who also appears in a Sino-Hollywood fantasy adventure movie.
- Image of Asia: Gay wedding in Beijing Updated: Jul-02-15 6:31 am
In this photo by Mark Schiefelbein, Li Tingting is lifted off the ground by her wife Teresa Xu in Beijing, where the two announced an informal marriage. The prominent Chinese lesbian couple held a simple ceremony Thursday in their latest effort to push for legalization of same-sex unions in China. There's no broad social effort to legalize same-sex marriage in China. Still, Li says she and her wife were "doing the impossible when you know it's impossible, but it takes those constant efforts to make changes in history." Li and four other activists were detained in March and held for 37 days for their advocacy work.
- China gay couple holds informal marriage to push for union Updated: Jul-02-15 6:22 am
BEIJING - A prominent Chinese lesbian couple held a simple ceremony Thursday to announce their informal marriage, in their latest effort to push for the legalization of same-sex unions in China.
- Turnout slim as thousands in Hong Kong rally for democracy Updated: Jul-01-15 11:46 am
HONG KONG - Tens of thousands of Hong Kongers took to the streets Wednesday to renew their call for full democracy but the turnout was noticeably lower than in recent years, reflecting an impasse after a year of bitter battles over political reform.
- China scrambles to reassure jittery stock traders Updated: Jul-01-15 10:55 am
BEIJING - Chinese authorities are scrambling to reassure jittery investors after soaring stock markets plunged, threatening to set back economic reform plans.
- China says concerned over Turkish religious complaints Updated: Jul-01-15 6:50 am
BEIJING - China expressed its displeasure Wednesday with Turkey's complaints about restrictions on worship and fasting by minority Chinese Uighur Muslims during the holy month of Ramadan.
- New Chinese law reinforces government control of cyberspace Updated: Jul-01-15 6:28 am
BEIJING - China's legislature passed sweeping legislation on Wednesday that reinforces government controls over cyberspace, as the nation's leaders try to address what they see as growing threats to Chinese networks and national security.
- World Bank urges China to embrace basic financial reforms Updated: Jul-01-15 3:19 am
BEIJING - China needs fundamental reform of its state-dominated financial system to keep economic growth on track, the World Bank said Wednesday.
- China says probe of FIBA official won't affect Olympic bid Updated: Jun-30-15 11:52 am
BEIJING - An official says Beijing's 2022 Winter Olympic bid won't be affected by the investigation of a Chinese member of basketball's international governing body for possible corruption.
- Governments sign pact to create Chinese-led Asian bank Updated: Jun-29-15 4:40 pm
BEIJING - Envoys of governments that plan to join a Chinese-led Asian bank endorsed a structure Monday that gives Beijing the biggest voting stake at the start but no veto power.
- Gatlin & Co. ready to face Bolt at worlds Updated: Jun-29-15 4:08 pm
EUGENE, Oregon - Justin Gatlin is still blazing fast at 33 years old. Same with Tyson Gay at 32 and Wallace Spearmon at 30.
- Former Coach recalls first Chinese NHL draft Song Andong Updated: Jun-29-15 7:38 am
BEIJING - Song Andong made sports history last week as the first Chinese player selected in the NHL draft. To his old coach, though, he's just a nice kid who keeps his head and shows the proper respect.
- Gatlin cruises to 200 title with top time ever at nationals Updated: Jun-29-15 3:12 am
EUGENE, Oregon - Justin Gatlin just couldn't help himself. He pointed at the clock as he crossed the line, just to make sure no one missed his splendid time.
- Andong Song becomes 1st Chinese player taken in NHL draft Updated: Jun-27-15 2:54 pm
SUNRISE, Florida - For the first time, a Chinese player has been selected in the NHL draft.
- China makes 4th recent cut in interest rate to boost economy Updated: Jun-27-15 7:46 am
BEIJING - China's central bank announced Saturday the fourth round of interest cuts in seven months and lower deposit-reserve ratios for some banks to lend to small and rural businesses, as Beijing tries to shore up the country's sluggish economy.
- Philippine officials say China island-building in full swing Updated: Jun-26-15 9:55 pm
PUERTO PRINCESA, Philippines - China is pressing ahead with the construction of artificial islands on at least two reefs that are also claimed by the Philippines in an increasingly tense territorial dispute, Filipino officials said, despite Beijing's pronouncement that some work would end soon.
- China lashes out at US racial bias in human rights report Updated: Jun-26-15 1:37 am
BEIJING - Racial discrimination and police abuses are rife in the United States, China's Cabinet said Friday, in a report intended as a counterpoint to U.S. criticisms of Beijing's own human rights record.
- Bills receiver Marquise Goodwin finishes 4th at nationals Updated: Jun-26-15 12:23 am
EUGENE, Oregon - Buffalo Bills wide receiver Marquise Goodwin almost had a convenient excuse to miss some of training camp.
- 'Twilight"s Catherine Hardwicke to film love epic in China Updated: Jun-25-15 9:22 am
BEIJING - "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke said Thursday she is making a sweeping romantic epic set in an ancient Silk Road city located in present-day western China.
- Chinese hurdler Liu Xiang announces divorce Updated: Jun-25-15 8:51 am
BEIJING - Former Olympic champion hurdler Liu Xiang, one of China's best-known athletes, announced Thursday he is getting a divorce after a nine-month marriage to actress Ge Tian.
- Chinese war veterans protest over missing benefits Updated: Jun-25-15 1:28 am
BEIJING - Disgruntled Chinese military veterans converged on Beijing this week in a protest over what they say is the government's failure to make good on promised pensions, medical insurance and other benefits.
- Alibaba investing in 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation' Updated: Jun-24-15 9:28 am
BEIJING - The film arm of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group said Wednesday it will invest in the next "Mission: Impossible" movie in its first Hollywood venture, adding to a flood of Chinese money into the global film business.
- Australia to be among largest shareholders in China-led bank Updated: Jun-24-15 1:50 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia announced on Wednesday it will become a founding member of a Chinese-led Asian regional bank and its sixth largest shareholder.
- Beijing says snow is no problem for 2022 Winter Olympic bid Updated: Jun-23-15 8:59 am
BEIJING - Beijing is driving home assurances that providing plenty of good quality snow for the skiing events won't be a problem if it wins the right to host the 2022 Winter Olympics.