- Man who fatally stabbed wife on RIPTA bus gets life sentence Updated: May-27-16 3:28 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Providence man who fatally stabbed his ex-wife on a public bus as she was on her way to work has been sentenced to life in prison.
- Authorities investigating tour bus fire in Newport Updated: May-27-16 12:24 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Authorities are working to determine the cause of a tour bus fire in Newport.
- Newport takes a step toward plastic bag ban Updated: May-26-16 8:21 am
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Newport is one step closer to banning single-use plastic shopping bags.
- US defense secretary calls for faster technology development Updated: May-25-16 5:09 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said on Wednesday that a naval facility in Rhode Island is doing what the entire Defense Department should do: develop technology more quickly.
- Newport man arrested in fatal stabbing in Providence Updated: May-18-16 6:42 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A Newport man has been arrested and charged in a fatal stabbing in the city's West End.
- Governor signs bill inspired by marathon bombing survivor Updated: May-17-16 6:40 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Rhode Island's governor has signed into law a bill inspired by a resident injured in the Boston Marathon bombings who had trouble applying for the state's crime victim compensation fund because the attack happened in Massachusetts.
- Judge: Congregants can take control of oldest US synagogue Updated: May-16-16 3:08 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The congregation that worships at the nation's oldest synagogue prevailed Monday in a bitter legal fight that threatened its existence, as a federal judge ruled it may now control its own destiny and decide what to do with a set of ceremonial bells worth millions.
- World War I era bomb found at park office safely detonated Updated: May-16-16 11:17 am
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - A live World War I-era explosive found at Fort Adams State Park in Rhode Island has been safely detonated.
- Robert Redford sends thank-you note to Newport after filming Updated: May-12-16 2:20 pm
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - Robert Redford has sent a thank-you note to the Rhode Island city of Newport, where he recently filmed a movie.
- Researchers say they're closing in on Captain Cook's ship Updated: May-04-16 5:29 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - Researchers say they believe the ship that 18th century explorer Capt. James Cook used to sail around the world is still submerged somewhere in Rhode Island's Newport Harbor, but it'll take a lot of work and money to identify it.
- New York man pleads guilty to role in ATM skimming scam Updated: May-04-16 3:34 am
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - A New York man has admitted to his role in a scheme that installed skimmers on bank ATMs across Rhode Island to steal more than $709,000 from unsuspecting victims.
- Rhode Island schools take in Central American migrants Updated: May-02-16 3:12 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - One of Murkje Dekoe's students was pregnant and spent her weekends working long hours in a cranberry bog. Others spent nights toiling in factories and high-end restaurants.
- Rhode Island Foundation awards community-building grants Updated: Apr-30-16 1:48 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - The Rhode Island Foundation has awarded $500,000 in grants for local community-building projects.
- Newport Festivals Foundation takes over BridgeFest Updated: Apr-30-16 9:45 am
NEWPORT, Rhode Island - The foundation that runs the Newport jazz and folk festivals is taking control of a local music festival that runs in the week between the two landmark events.