- Palestinian FIFA bid stirs opposite reactions among Israelis Updated: Jun-03-15 9:55 am
JERUSALEM - An aborted bid by the Palestinians to expel Israel from FIFA, the world soccer federation, has set off an uproar in Israel, raising fears that more such diplomatic assaults are on the way. But some liberal Israelis are more accepting of the Palestinian move, seeing it as an unpleasant step that just might prod Israel onto a peace track.
- UN chief appeals for resumption of Israeli-Palestinian talks Updated: Jun-02-15 7:44 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon used the 65th anniversary of the U.N. agency that helps Palestinian refugees to appeal Tuesday for an immediate resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations and an end to unilateral actions "that erode trust."
- Obama: Israel's commitment to Palestinian state in doubt Updated: Jun-02-15 3:42 pm
JERUSALEM - President Barack Obama says remarks made by Israel's prime minister before an election earlier this year have reinforced a belief in the international community that Israel is not committed to peace.
- Hamas kills Islamic State supporter in Gaza crackdown Updated: Jun-02-15 5:37 am
- IS supporters in Gaza demand Hamas halt crackdown Updated: Jun-01-15 3:31 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Islamic State supporters in Gaza have given the ruling Hamas movement a 48-hour deadline to halt its crackdown on them.
- German foreign minister visits Gaza Updated: Jun-01-15 1:46 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Germany's foreign minister paid a rare visit to the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip on Monday, calling on Israel to ease a blockade on the territory and urging Hamas prevent rockets from being fired into Israel.
- Israeli premier warns of Palestinian boycott campaign Updated: May-31-15 4:25 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel faces an "international campaign to blacken its name" aimed at delegitimizing its very existence regardless to its policies, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday. The international community disproportionally singles out the Jewish state for condemnation while remaining silent on major conflicts and human rights abuses in other countries, he said.
- German foreign minister to visit Gaza Updated: May-31-15 10:16 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Germany's foreign minister says he will visit the Gaza Strip - a rare trip to the Hamas-ruled territory by a Western leader.
- Israel indicts Palestinian in murder of Polish tourist Updated: May-28-15 7:11 am
JERUSALEM - Israeli police say they have charged a Palestinian man with killing a Polish tourist in Israel in April.
- Quartet Mideast envoy Tony Blair resigns Updated: May-27-15 12:23 pm
JERUSALEM - Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday stepped down as the international community's Mideast envoy, officials said, leaving a post that began with great promise but which struggled to deliver dramatic changes in its quest to promote peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
- Senior Hamas official Abu Marzouk settling in Gaza for good Updated: May-27-15 9:47 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - A senior Hamas official says he is moving to the Gaza Strip for good, underscoring the gradual shift of the Islamic militant movement's power base from exile to the Palestinian territory.
- Israel defense minister: Islamic Jihad behind Gaza flare-up Updated: May-27-15 2:22 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's defense minister is blaming Islamic Jihad - a smaller Palestinian militant group in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip - for the latest rocket fired at Israel that drew retaliatory airstrikes overnight.
- Group: Hamas tortured, killed Palestinians in 2014 Gaza war Updated: May-26-15 11:10 pm
JERUSALEM - A leading international watchdog on Wednesday accused the militant Hamas group of abducting, torturing and killing Palestinians during the war in the Gaza Strip last year, saying some of the actions amount to war crimes.
- Ex-Israeli Premier Olmert sentenced to 8 months in prison Updated: May-25-15 8:56 am
JERUSALEM - Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced Monday to eight months in prison for unlawfully accepting money from a U.S. supporter, capping the dramatic downfall of a man who only years earlier led the country and hoped to bring about a historic peace agreement with the Palestinians.
- Palestinians to push forth with bid to oust Israel from FIFA Updated: May-25-15 7:24 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The head of the Palestine Football Association says he is pressing forth with his bid to oust Israel from FIFA despite efforts from its president to diffuse the crisis.
- Abbas: Israeli settlement expansion blocks any peace deal Updated: May-22-15 8:05 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday said Israel is blocking peace by continuing to expand settlements on occupied territory, but reaffirmed his support for a two-state solution based on the pre-1967 border.
- Palestinians complain to FIFA over detained player Updated: May-22-15 6:54 am
JERUSALEM - The head of the Palestine Football Association has complained to FIFA that one of its players was detained by Israel, an incident he says illustrates his demand that the Israelis be suspended.
- World Bank: Gaza economy on 'verge of collapse' Updated: May-22-15 1:34 am
JERUSALEM - A new World Bank report warns that Gaza's economy is on the "verge of collapse."
- Senior Israeli diplomat: 'This land is ours' Updated: May-21-15 1:44 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's new deputy foreign minister on Thursday delivered a defiant message to the international community, saying that Israel owes no apologies for its policies in the Holy Land and citing religious texts to back her belief that it belongs to the Jewish people.
- Israel court orders Palestinian woman lawmaker freed on bail Updated: May-21-15 11:52 am
OFER MILITARY BASE, West Bank - An Israeli military judge ruled Thursday that jailed Palestinian legislator Khalida Jarrar, a well-known West Bank firebrand, should be released on bail, but ordered her held for at least three more days pending a possible appeal.
- FIFA making progress in Israeli-Palestinian soccer spat Updated: May-20-15 10:36 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - FIFA President Sepp Blatter says he is making process in resolving a spat between Palestinian and Israeli soccer leaders and hopes to avoid a vote to suspend Israel.
- IMF says Gaza reconstruction moving slowly Updated: May-20-15 10:10 am
- UN says will engage Israel on 'realistic options' for talks Updated: May-19-15 7:26 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations' new Middle East envoy said Tuesday that he and the U.N. secretary-general will engage Israel's new government to explore "realistic options" for a return to talks with the Palestinians aimed at a two-state solution within a reasonable time frame.
- Palestinian patients find help in Israeli hospital Updated: May-19-15 5:29 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The bedroom of Palestinian siblings Ahmed and Hadeel Hamdan looks like a hospital ward, filled with beeping machines, monitors, solution bags and sterilizing fluids.
- Correction: Vatican-Palestinians story Updated: May-18-15 7:47 pm
VATICAN CITY - VATICAN CITY - In a story May 16 about Pope Francis meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, The Associated Press erroneously omitted two words when quoting the pope. Francis told Abbas "you are a bit an angel of peace," not "you are an angel of peace." The original Italian quote was, "Lei e un po un angelo della pace."