- UN rights body backs call for accountability in Gaza war Updated: Jul-03-15 4:07 pm
BERLIN - The U.N.'s top human rights body backed calls Friday for accountability in last year's conflict in Gaza, in which hundreds of Palestinian civilians and six Israeli civilians were killed.
- Lion cubs en route to Jordan sanctuary check into Gaza hotel Updated: Jul-03-15 2:28 pm
RAFAH, Gaza Strip - Gaza's militant Hamas rulers on Friday allowed a pair of lion cubs en route to a wildlife sanctuary in Jordan back into the Palestinian coastal strip after the animals and their entourage had been stuck for several hours on no-man's land at a Gaza-Israel border crossing.
- Rocket fired from Sinai hits southern Israel, no one hurt Updated: Jul-03-15 2:04 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's military says a rocket fired from neighboring Sinai, where Egyptian troops are battling Islamic State militants, has struck southern Israel. There was no damage and no one was hurt.
- Palestinian Authority arrests 100 Hamas members in West Bank Updated: Jul-03-15 4:16 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian Authority forces arrested over 100 Hamas members in the West Bank who were planning on carrying out attacks, a Palestinian official said, in the biggest raid of its kind in years.
- A year after Gaza war, southern Israel slowly recovers Updated: Jul-03-15 3:50 am
NIRIM, Israel - On the last day of last summer's Israel-Hamas war, Gadi Yarkoni and two of his closest friends were fixing an electricity line next to the cowshed in their kibbutz in southern Israel that had been damaged by rocket fire from neighboring Gaza.
- Palestinian killed after throwing rocks at Israeli vehicle Updated: Jul-03-15 2:49 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's military says troops opened fire and killed a Palestinian among a group that threw large rocks at their vehicle.
- Abbas removes long-time critic from No. 2 position in PLO Updated: Jul-01-15 5:10 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - An official says Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has fired a long-time critic from the No. 2 job in the Palestine Liberation Organization in what is seen as his latest move to sideline potential rivals.
- Israel deports Gaza flotilla activists Updated: Jun-30-15 2:56 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel has deported a group of pro-Palestinian activists, including a former Tunisian president, who tried to breach its naval blockade of the Gaza Strip.
- Angry protesters whitewash rainbow flag on West Bank barrier Updated: Jun-30-15 2:17 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian protesters whitewashed a rainbow flag of gay rights that was painted by a Palestinian artist on six slabs of the West Bank separation barrier.
- US church to divest over Israeli treatment of Palestinians Updated: Jun-30-15 12:13 pm
NEW YORK - The United Church of Christ has voted to divest from companies with business in the Israeli-occupied Palestinian territories.
- A year after Gaza war, Hamas entrenched as frustration grows Updated: Jun-30-15 7:38 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Emad Firi is angry. During last summer's Israel-Hamas war, a shell slammed through the roof of his house and shredded his right leg. Unable to work, Firi's son now drives his taxi but the family struggles to survive.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Jun-30-15 6:10 am
Crunch time in Greece as bailout due to expire, IMF loan due with no deal in sight
- France: Israeli-Palestinian conflict can explode at any time Updated: Jun-29-15 1:27 pm
UNITED NATIONS - France's foreign minister warned Monday that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict can explode "at any moment" and the Islamic State extremist group can interfere at any time.
- Egypt sees sandstorm and earthquake on the same day Updated: Jun-27-15 2:41 pm
CAIRO - Egypt faced treacherous weather conditions Saturday as a sandstorm blanketed the north of the country and a magnitude-5.2 earthquake centered in the Sinai peninsula shook buildings more than 200 miles away in the capital, Cairo.
- Vatican signs treaty with "State of Palestine" Updated: Jun-26-15 7:50 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican signed a treaty with the "State of Palestine" on Friday, saying it hoped its legal recognition of the state would help stimulate peace with Israel and that the treaty itself would serve as a model for other Mideast countries.
- Palestinian minister hands 'war crimes' files to ICC Updated: Jun-25-15 10:58 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki handed International Criminal Court prosecutors a file Thursday detailing possible Israeli war crimes in Gaza and settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
- AP Interview: Gaza rebuilding moving at 'snail's pace' Updated: Jun-25-15 3:46 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Gaza reconstruction is moving at a "snail's pace" and at this rate, it would likely take 30 years to rebuild the extensive damage from last summer's Israel-Hamas war, a senior U.N. official said.
- UN report on Gaza: Both sides may be guilty of war crimes Updated: Jun-22-15 11:00 am
JERUSALEM - A much-awaited United Nations report into the 2014 Gaza war released Monday found that both Israel and Palestinian militant groups may have committed war crimes during the conflict.
- Palestinian Authority freezes assets of former PM Updated: Jun-22-15 7:10 am
RAMALLAH, West Bank - Former Prime Minister Salam Fayyad says the Palestinian Authority has frozen his bank account and accused him of money laundering.
- Palestinians usually held until end of case by army courts Updated: Jun-22-15 3:41 am
JERUSALEM - Israeli military courts routinely order Palestinian defendants held until a verdict is reached, turning legal proceedings into a "hollow formality," an Israeli rights group said Monday.
- Israel, Jordan discreetly foster ties amid regional chaos Updated: Jun-22-15 3:26 am
AMMAN, Jordan - A new Jordanian think tank that focuses on Israel is tucked away on the seventh floor of a glass-fronted Amman office building, without a sign announcing the presence of the Center for Israel Studies.
- US developing 'Plan B' for deporting convicted plane bomber Updated: Jun-21-15 4:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The federal government has been exploring a "Plan B" to deport a man who placed a bomb on a Hawaii-bound airplane in 1982 and who has remained in immigration custody since being released from prison two years ago.
- Egypt names ambassador to Israel after nearly 3 years Updated: Jun-21-15 1:31 pm
CAIRO - Egypt has named a new ambassador to Israel nearly three years after it had recalled the last one at the outset of the 2012 Israeli offensive in Gaza.
- Israel, Hamas in unspoken alliance against Gaza extremists Updated: Jun-21-15 11:29 am
- Israel church set ablaze in possible Jewish extremist attack Updated: Jun-18-15 11:23 am
TABGHA, Israel - A fire ripped through one of the most famous Catholic churches in the Holy Land on Thursday, damaging the roof and burning prayer books in what authorities believe is an attack by Jewish extremists.