- Rio head vows to introduce viral testing in Olympic waters Updated: Sep-01-15 2:06 pm
LONDON - Olympic organizers promised Tuesday to introduce viral testing in the polluted waters in Rio de Janeiro where about 1,400 athletes will compete in next year's games.
- Bond author sorry for saying Idris Elba 'too street' for 007 Updated: Sep-01-15 1:49 pm
LONDON - The author of the new James Bond novel apologized on Tuesday after he said that British actor Idris Elba is "too street" to play 007.
- Man United moves for Martial as rivals stay quiet Updated: Sep-01-15 1:36 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United took a gamble in making French forward Anthony Martial the most expensive teenager in football history as Premier League spending in the summer transfer window reached record levels on Tuesday.
- Martial signs for Man United, costliest ever teenager Updated: Sep-01-15 12:53 pm
MANCHESTER, England - French forward Anthony Martial became the most expensive teenager in football history on Tuesday when he signed for Manchester United for a reported 36 million pounds ($55.5 million), in the latest deadline-day deal by the English club.
- Sweden optimistic over questioning Assange in London Updated: Sep-01-15 12:34 pm
HELSINKI - Swedish officials said Tuesday they are optimistic about reaching a general agreement on legal assistance with Ecuador which could pave the way to questioning WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in London on outstanding accusations against him.
- UK police: Mother, 4 children detained in Turkey Updated: Sep-01-15 12:02 pm
LONDON - British police say a mother and her four young children from London who were believed to be on their way to Syria have been detained in Turkey.
- Benedict Cumberbatch, Helen Mirren lead London Film Fest Updated: Sep-01-15 11:47 am
LONDON - Helen Mirren, Benedict Cumberbatch and Maggie Smith are among the British stars to attend this year's London Film Festival.
- What happened? De Gea stays put after missed deadline Updated: Sep-01-15 11:02 am
MADRID - The deadline arrived, but the announcement never did.
- James Rodriguez, Roma top Global Football 10 poll Updated: Sep-01-15 10:36 am
LONDON - James Rodriguez entered this week's Associated Press Global Football 10 at the top of the player rankings after scoring twice - including a spectacular overhead kick - and propelling Real Madrid to a 5-0 victory over Real Betis.
- China parade draws Putin, but few other major world leaders Updated: Sep-01-15 9:18 am
BEIJING - Russian leader Vladimir Putin, South Korean President Park Geun-hye and U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon shine at the top of China's guest list at this week's grand commemorations of the 70th anniversary of Japan's defeat in World War II. After them, the wattage gets pretty low.
- Premier League player punished after drunk-driving crash Updated: Sep-01-15 8:11 am
MANCHESTER, England - A Premier League footballer must serve a 12-month community order and has been banned from driving for 20 months after driving into three cyclists when over the legal alcohol limit and failing to report the crash.
- UK agency against cybercrime targeted in online attack Updated: Sep-01-15 6:55 am
LONDON - Britain's National Crime Agency says its website has been targeted in an apparent cyberattack.
- US fines Triumph Motorcycles up to $2.9 million Updated: Aug-31-15 6:37 pm
DETROIT - The U.S. government has fined Triumph Motorcycles up to $2.9 million for violating safety reporting requirements.
- Maersk to develop large North Sea gas find off Britain Updated: Aug-31-15 8:28 am
HELSINKI - Maersk Oil says it has permission from British authorities to develop a gas field off the British coast in the largest find in the North Sea in a decade.
- Shaw, Shelvey recalled by England for Euro qualifiers Updated: Aug-30-15 3:38 pm
LONDON - Manchester United defender Luke Shaw and Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey have been rewarded for strong starts to the Premier League season by earning recalls to the England squad for upcoming European Championship qualifiers.
- Egypt summons British ambassador over Al-Jazeera comments Updated: Aug-30-15 3:36 pm
CAIRO - Egypt's Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador in Cairo on Sunday to protest comments he made after a judge sentenced three Al-Jazeera English journalists to three years prison each for reporting "false news."
- Man United loses 2-1 to Swansea in Premier League Updated: Aug-30-15 2:32 pm
SWANSEA, Wales - Swansea handed Manchester United its first loss of the Premier League season, rallying with two goals in five minutes in the second half to win 2-1 on Sunday.
- United's biggest problems exposed in 2-1 loss at Swansea Updated: Aug-30-15 2:23 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United's early-season problems at both ends of the pitch were exposed in a 2-1 loss at Swansea on Sunday that ended its unbeaten start in the Premier League.
- The Latest: Coe gets to work right away as IAAF president Updated: Aug-30-15 1:05 pm
BEIJING - The Latest from the IAAF world championships (all times local):
- Man City breaks transfer record again to sign De Bruyne Updated: Aug-30-15 12:27 pm
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester City demonstrated its financial might by breaking the club's transfer record for the second time this summer to sign Kevin de Bruyne on Sunday, making the Belgium midfielder the second most-expensive player in English football history.
- Rossi wins British GP, retakes sole lead in MotoGP standings Updated: Aug-30-15 10:41 am
SILVERSTONE, England - Valentino Rossi won the British Grand Prix in wet conditions Sunday to reclaim the outright lead in the MotoGP championship, with Marc Marquez crashing out in another blow to his title defense.
- Tadic double helps Southampton to 3-0 win over Norwich Updated: Aug-30-15 10:28 am
SOUTHAMPTON, England - Dusan Tadic scored two goals in three second-half minutes to seal Southampton's 3-0 win over 10-man Norwich in the Premier League on Sunday.
- Liverpool loans out Markovic to Turkish club Fenerbahce Updated: Aug-30-15 9:03 am
LIVERPOOL, England - Liverpool has sent Serbia winger Lazar Markovic on loan to Turkish club Fenerbahce for the rest of the season.
- Study: Tiny, wireless pacemaker could be surgery-free option Updated: Aug-30-15 7:47 am
LONDON - A tiny, wireless pacemaker could offer some heart patients a surgery-free alternative to the traditional devices, a new study says. Some doctors, however, say there are lingering safety questions and warned patients not to rush to get the new technology.
- City doesn't waste Chelsea slip, Madrid wins big in Spain Updated: Aug-29-15 7:50 pm
LONDON - Chelsea's Premier League title defense is already floundering after a rare home loss let Manchester City increase its lead following a fourth consecutive win on Saturday.