- Palace confirms Queen Elizabeth II's medical appointment Updated: Jun-03-15 11:14 am
LONDON - Buckingham Palace took the unusual step Wednesday of confirming that Queen Elizabeth II went to a hospital for her annual medical checkup after social media comments touched off speculation on her health.
- Tech Tips: Your guide to the myriad phone-upgrade options Updated: Jun-03-15 10:22 am
NEW YORK - Upgrading your phone is no longer as simple as paying $100 or $200 and extending your service contract by two years.
- Meryl Streep drama 'Suffragette' to open London Film Fest Updated: Jun-03-15 10:08 am
LONDON - Historical drama "Suffragette," starring Carey Mulligan and Meryl Streep as votes-for-women campaigners, will open this year's London Film Festival.
- Wilshere charged after foul-mouthed outburst toward Spurs Updated: Jun-03-15 9:34 am
LONDON - Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has been charged with misconduct after his foul-mouthed outburst toward rival club Tottenham during his team's FA Cup victory celebrations.
- Michelle Dockery swaps 'Downton' for 'Liaisons Dangereuses' Updated: Jun-03-15 8:44 am
LONDON - "Downton Abbey" star Michelle Dockery is swapping one aristocratic world for another in a new production of "Les Liaisons Dangereuses."
- Stones seeking new fans with 'Sticky Fingers' re-release Updated: Jun-03-15 8:43 am
LONDON - Keith Richards doesn't keep a list of the Top 10 Rolling Stones albums. But he's happy to place "Sticky Fingers," being re-released in a deluxe edition next week, near the very top.
- Pollsters analyze mistakes after missed predictions Updated: Jun-03-15 8:01 am
WARSAW, Poland - These are tough times for political pollsters.
- 7 Maine airports sharing about $2M in federal grants Updated: Jun-03-15 6:58 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Seven Maine airports are sharing more than $2 million in federal grants to enhance safety and improve facilities.
- Christie's to sell works by Monet, Chagall, Picasso in June Updated: Jun-03-15 5:31 am
LONDON - Christie's auction house is offering works by Claude Monet, Rene Magritte, Joan Miro, Marc Chagall and Pablo Picasso this month amid a voracious global appetite for impressionist and modern art.
- Greek uncertainty acting as 'brake on growth' in eurozone Updated: Jun-03-15 5:28 am
LONDON - Uncertainty over Greece is weighing on the eurozone economy, a closely-watched survey found Wednesday, as the clock was ticking on the country's efforts to avoid bankruptcy.
- Global reaction to Sepp Blatter's decision to resign Updated: Jun-03-15 2:24 am
Reaction from around the globe to Sepp Blatter's sudden announcement Tuesday that he will step down as FIFA president amid a corruption scandal:
- Key questions: Why did Blatter resign and what now for FIFA? Updated: Jun-02-15 7:40 pm
LONDON - Sepp Blatter and his mentor Joao Havelange have run global's soccer's governing body since 1974, handing out power to national federations and regional chiefs who awarded the men with loyalty.
- New survey finds Britons have more favorable view of Europe Updated: Jun-02-15 5:11 pm
LONDON - An extensive new survey finds British attitudes toward the European Union are improving ahead of a decisive referendum on whether to remain in the EU that must be held by the end of 2017.
- NFL looking for more international games in Mexico, Germany Updated: Jun-02-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Commissioner Roger Goodell casually mentioned last month the NFL's interest in adding more international games. He mentioned potential contests in Germany, Mexico and Brazil.
- Kentucky folksinger, dulcimer player Jean Ritchie dies at 92 Updated: Jun-02-15 4:35 pm
NEW YORK - Jean Ritchie, the Kentucky-born folksinger who brought the centuries-old ballads she grew up with to a wide audience from the 1950s onward, died Monday evening. She was 92. Ritchie died in her home in Berea, Kentucky, with family around her, her niece Judy Hudson said.
- UK says future of Northern Ireland power-sharing 'grim' Updated: Jun-02-15 3:39 pm
DUBLIN - Efforts to sustain the Catholic-Protestant government in Northern Ireland are looking "increasingly grim," Britain's minister overseeing the territory declared Tuesday after negotiations failed to break a budgetary deadlock.
- UK roller coaster crash leaves 4 seriously injured, 12 stuck Updated: Jun-02-15 12:17 pm
LONDON - One roller coaster car slammed into another Tuesday on one of Britain's biggest amusement park rides, leaving four teenagers seriously injured and stranding passengers 25 feet (8 meters) in the air, officials said.
- Use of 'doggie double' in talent show causes uproar in UK Updated: Jun-02-15 12:12 pm
LONDON - Producers and TV executives have apologized for failing to inform viewers ahead of time that a dog trainer who won the season-ending finale of the highly-rated "Britain's Got Talent" competition used a "doggie double" to perform a risky trick.
- Scottish leader warns of backlash from British EU referendum Updated: Jun-02-15 9:47 am
BRUSSELS - Scotland's top politician warned Tuesday that a future United Kingdom referendum on leaving the European Union could spark a new drive for independence in pro-EU Scotland.
- Paris police evacuate hundreds of migrants from tent camp Updated: Jun-02-15 9:46 am
PARIS - Paris police evacuated hundreds of migrants Tuesday from a makeshift tent camp near a major train station and tourist area, then bulldozed their leftover debris from a patch of pavement that had become a symbol of Europe's migrant crisis.
- Former UK Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy dies at 55 Updated: Jun-02-15 6:40 am
LONDON - Charles Kennedy was a rare thing - a genuinely popular British politician - and brought his Liberal Democrat party record success before his leadership was cut short by alcoholism.
- Iconic impressionist image by Manet up for sale at Sotheby's Updated: Jun-02-15 4:47 am
LONDON - One of the defining images of French impressionism is up for sale, as Sotheby's auctions Edouard Manet's "Le Bar aux Folies-Bergere."
- Don't take a seat: Panel says you should stand for 2 hours Updated: Jun-01-15 6:53 pm
LONDON - Are you sitting down? In that case, you should probably stand up before reading this.
- Cuban-born painter celebrates 100th birthday Updated: Jun-01-15 2:05 pm
NEW YORK - Cuban-born artist Carmen Herrera says she's still bursting with ideas she wants to put on canvas, but the centenarian doesn't feel any urgency to hurry.
- IOC cites challenges for Almaty and Beijing Olympic bids Updated: Jun-01-15 1:21 pm
LONDON - The IOC on Monday cited serious challenges facing the two bids for the 2022 Winter Olympics, including pointed concerns over Beijing's air pollution and lack of natural snow and Almaty's budget risks and limited experience in hosting major events.