- Thiem beats Goffin to take Swiss Open title Updated: Aug-02-15 8:51 am
GSTAAD, Switzerland - Dominic Thiem of Austria won his second straight title on Sunday, beating top-seeded David Goffin of Belgium 7-5, 6-2 in the Swiss Open final.
- Swiss central bank reports hefty 2nd-quarter loss Updated: Jul-31-15 2:43 am
BERLIN - Switzerland's central bank is reporting a hefty loss for the second consecutive quarter after its decision to drop a cap on the franc's value against the euro sent the national currency soaring higher.
- Platini kicks off political fight for future of FIFA Updated: Jul-30-15 12:24 pm
GENEVA - Michel Platini hopes he made a decisive move early in the seven-month campaign to become FIFA president.
- Correction: FIFA-Zimbabwe Fined story Updated: Jul-30-15 11:09 am
ZURICH - In a story July 29 about FIFA fining Zimbabwe's football association for failing to show up for a women's Olympic qualifier, The Associated Press erroneously reported that Zimbabwe had later withdrawn from the qualifying competition. Zimbabwe only withdrew from the first leg.
- Keaten appointment AP chief correspondent in Switzerland Updated: Jul-30-15 6:55 am
LONDON - Jamey Keaten, a reporter in the Paris office of The Associated Press, has been named chief correspondent for Switzerland.
- Paraguay midfielder Gonzalez joins Dynamo Kiev from FC Basel Updated: Jul-30-15 5:29 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Swiss champion FC Basel says Paraguay midfielder Derlis Gonzalez has joined Dynamo Kiev.
- UN says too soon for new Syrian peace conference Updated: Jul-29-15 8:14 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. point man on Syria said Wednesday it's too soon for another peace conference in Geneva and invited Syrians to hold intensive preparatory talks on key issues including a political transition and fighting terrorism.
- Moroccan journalist ends hunger strike on passport promise Updated: Jul-28-15 12:25 pm
RABAT, Morocco - A dissident Moroccan journalist on Tuesday ended a monthlong hunger strike protesting his treatment by the government after an official said he could get a new passport in three days, a member of his support committee said.
- 2-time champion Bellucci advances at Swiss Open Updated: Jul-28-15 12:08 pm
GSTAAD, Switzerland - Two-time Swiss Open champion Thomaz Bellucci of Brazil eased to a 6-2, 6-3 first-round victory over Kimmer Coppejans on Tuesday.
- Sepp Blatter deserves the Nobel Prize, Vladimir Putin says Updated: Jul-28-15 7:46 am
MOSCOW - Vladimir Putin and Sepp Blatter just can't stop praising each other.
- CAS blocks rules on women athletes with high male hormones Updated: Jul-27-15 5:29 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - In a victory for individual athletes over governing bodies, sport's highest court has suspended IAAF rules governing women who have high levels of male hormones.
- Olympic champ Guerdat has ban lifted in horse doping case Updated: Jul-27-15 1:00 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Equestrian Federation has cleared Olympic jumping champion Steve Guerdat to compete after lifting a provisional suspension in a horse doping case.
- Olympic skicross racer banned in doping rule case Updated: Jul-27-15 11:00 am
BERN, Switzerland - Two-time Olympic skicross racer Sanna Luedi of Switzerland has been banned from competing for one year after breaking anti-doping rules.
- UAE back in world equestrian body after endurance race probe Updated: Jul-27-15 10:54 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The United Arab Emirates has been reinstated in the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) after agreeing to curb alleged horse welfare and rules violations in endurance racing.
- Swiss army makes incursion into France for water for cattle Updated: Jul-27-15 10:31 am
PARIS - Swiss army helicopters have crossed the Franco-Swiss border in an unexpected incursion - to help thirsty Swiss cows.
- IOC awards Olympic broadcast rights to Qatar's beIN Media Updated: Jul-27-15 6:47 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Olympic Committee has awarded broadcast rights in the Middle East and North Africa from 2018-2024 to Qatar's beIN Media Group.
- Swiss bank UBS says 2nd-quarter earnings up 53 percent Updated: Jul-27-15 3:25 am
BERLIN - Swiss bank UBS AG says its earnings leapt by 53 percent in the second quarter, helped by strong performances in equities trading and wealth management.
- FIFA, Blatter get back to World Cup business at Putin home Updated: Jul-25-15 5:16 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - FIFA and Sepp Blatter put their corruption crisis aside and got back to World Cup business at the 2018 tournament qualifying draw hosted by Vladimir Putin at a Russian state residence on Saturday.
- Federer, Wawrinka return for Switzerland in Davis Cup Updated: Jul-24-15 8:32 am
BERN, Switzerland - Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka will play for Switzerland in the Davis Cup playoffs against the Netherlands.
- Roche sees 1st-half profit drop on franc strength; sales up Updated: Jul-23-15 4:25 am
BERLIN - Drug maker Roche Holding AG says its first-half profit was weighed down by the surging Swiss franc and one-time effects, while solid sales of cancer treatments helped push revenue higher.
- Credit Suisse posts strong Q2 profit Updated: Jul-23-15 3:20 am
BERLIN - Swiss bank Credit Suisse Group AG says second quarter net income was a strong 1.051 billion Swiss francs ($1.096 billion) after a large loss in the same quarter last year when it was fined in a U.S. tax case.
- Possible FIFA rivals Platini, Prince Ali meet for talks Updated: Jul-22-15 5:34 pm
GENEVA - Potential FIFA presidential election rivals Michel Platini and Prince Ali bin al-Hussein met for the first time on Wednesday since Sepp Blatter announced his exit.
- Blatter heads to Russia for first foreign trip since crisis Updated: Jul-22-15 2:17 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - FIFA President Sepp Blatter is due in Russia on Thursday for his first overseas trip since the arrests of fellow soccer executives in May left him unwilling to leave the safety of Switzerland.
- Swiss army moo-ves out to keep cows cool during heat wave Updated: Jul-21-15 8:58 am
BERLIN - Cows sizzling under Switzerland's summer sun are getting help from an unexpected ally: the Swiss army.
- US going to Uzbekistan in Davis Cup playoffs, Swiss vs Dutch Updated: Jul-21-15 7:05 am
LONDON - The United States will travel to Uzbekistan for the first time among some tough away trips in the Davis Cup World Group playoffs in September.