- Inside FIFA case: How Blatter, Platini could face long bans Updated: Oct-13-15 2:15 pm
ZURICH - FIFA investigators are yet to be convinced there was any long-standing verbal agreement that led to Sepp Blatter secretly sanctioning the payment of 2 million Swiss francs (about $2 million) to Michel Platini.
- Philippe Blatter-led Infront confirms Italian TV inquiry Updated: Oct-13-15 1:45 pm
ROME - A sports marketing agency run by the nephew of suspended FIFA President Sepp Blatter confirmed Tuesday that the head of its Italian branch and two associates are under investigation for "alleged manipulation" over the sale of lucrative Serie A TV rights.
- Swiss coach Marcel Koller guides Austria to Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-13-15 11:15 am
VIENNA - For all the sporting rivalry between the neighboring countries, it took a coach from Switzerland to help Austria qualify for a European Championship for the first time.
- IOC sets Oct. 27 deadline for resolution of Kuwait dispute Updated: Oct-13-15 5:46 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The IOC has set a deadline of Oct. 27 for the resolution of a dispute that could lead to Kuwait's suspension from the Olympic body.
- The Latest: Suicide bombers exploded TNT at peace rally Updated: Oct-12-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Developments relating to Saturday's deadly bombings targeting a peace rally in the Turkish capital of Ankara. All times local.
- Swiss trial for former HSBC employee begins in absentia Updated: Oct-12-15 5:04 am
BERLIN - A former HSBC employee has been put on trial in absentia in Switzerland for leaking bank data, which led to a worldwide wave of tax evasion probes against prominent clients.
- Glencore puts copper mines in Australia, Chile on sale Updated: Oct-12-15 2:38 am
BERLIN - Commodities group Glencore is putting two copper mines, in Australia and Chile, on sale.
- Switzerland joins England in qualifying for Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-09-15 6:35 pm
LONDON - Switzerland will return to the European Championship for the first time since co-hosting the tournament eight years earlier after thrashing San Marino 7-0 on Friday with seven different scorers.
- Platini retains UEFA title, with no interim leader in place Updated: Oct-09-15 2:54 pm
LONDON - Still defiant, UEFA is standing by its man.
- The Latest: Hungarian pres. warns of risks in migrant crisis Updated: Oct-09-15 7:53 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest developments as hundreds of thousands of people seeking safety make an epic trek through Europe. All times local.
- With Platini suspended, FIFA election field more uncertain Updated: Oct-08-15 7:43 pm
LONDON - From sure bet to suspended, Michel Platini's career in soccer politics could be over.
- The Latest: Hayatou says Platini can be credible candidate Updated: Oct-08-15 2:13 pm
ZURICH - The Latest from the FIFA investigation (all time local):
- After defying quit calls, Blatter mediates between FAs Updated: Oct-06-15 6:54 pm
ZURICH - After defying pleas from FIFA sponsors to quit immediately, President Sepp Blatter is continuing regular business at soccer's governing body, presiding over a dispute between football federations on Tuesday.
- Dutch on verge of missing out on Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-06-15 10:09 am
PARIS - Qualifying for the largest-ever European Championship was supposed to be easy.
- Kostner cleared to compete in 2016 after settling dispute Updated: Oct-05-15 11:36 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Former figure skating world champion Carolina Kostner has been cleared to compete next year after settling a dispute with the Italian Olympic Committee and World Anti-Doping Agency over whether she helped her former boyfriend cheat.
- American wingsuit flyer dies in Switzerland Updated: Oct-02-15 4:48 pm
BERLIN - American adventurer Johnny Strange, who scaled the tallest peaks on every continent before he was 18, died in a wingsuit crash in the Alps, Swiss police reported Friday.
- Platini's legal woes makes FIFA election more unpredictable Updated: Oct-02-15 11:36 am
ZURICH - More than two months into Michel Platini's FIFA presidential campaign, football fans are still waiting to hear just how he plans to rebuild the governing body's reputation. He might never get the opportunity.
- UN human rights body passes Saudi proposal on Yemen Updated: Oct-02-15 11:11 am
GENEVA - A leading human rights advocacy group on Friday accused the top U.N. human rights body of failing to improve scrutiny of abuses in war-torn Yemen by approving a resolution presented by Saudi Arabia - a major participant in the conflict.
- Neymar to miss 2 qualifiers after court rejects appeal Updated: Oct-02-15 7:06 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Sport's highest court has rejected Brazil's attempt to overturn Neymar's ban from two World Cup qualifiers.
- UN rights body OKs call for postwar Sri Lanka accountability Updated: Oct-01-15 1:09 pm
GENEVA - The top U.N. human rights body on Thursday approved by consensus a resolution aimed to increase accountability and reconciliation in Sri Lanka in the aftermath of its decades-long civil war that left tens of thousands of people dead.
- Swiss AG would raid Platini's office to find 'real truth' Updated: Sep-29-15 3:58 pm
ZURICH - Michel Platini is being treated as "between a witness and an accused person" and the Swiss authorities would raid the UEFA president's office if necessary to discover the "real truth," the attorney general said Tuesday.
- UN envoy: 'Great mistake' to block aid in east Ukraine Updated: Sep-29-15 12:09 pm
GENEVA - Efforts by Russia-backed separatist rebels to block "desperately needed" humanitarian aid from reaching people in conflict-ridden eastern Ukraine could amount to crimes against humanity, a top U.N. human rights official said Tuesday.
- Swiss agree to extradite Costa Rican to US in FIFA case Updated: Sep-29-15 10:21 am
BERN, Switzerland - Switzerland's justice ministry on Tuesday granted an American request to extradite former Costa Rican soccer federation president Eduardo Li in the FIFA bribery case.
- Michel Platini says his reputation might be harmed by probe Updated: Sep-28-15 11:53 am
NYON, Switzerland - UEFA President Michel Platini says the investigation into a payment he received from FIFA "may harm my image and my reputation" but he insists the income was fully declared to Swiss authorities.
- Olympic champion Guerdat cleared in horse doping case Updated: Sep-28-15 5:43 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The International Equestrian Federation has cleared Olympic jumping champion Steve Guerdat and Swiss teammate Alessandra Bichsel of wrongdoing in a horse doping case.