- Slalom champion Shiffrin returns to racing next week Updated: Feb-08-16 4:17 pm
Two months ago, Mikaela Shiffrin was just hoping to be back on skis before the snow melted.
- The Latest: Greece: Stop migrants in Turkish waters Updated: Feb-08-16 3:06 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The Latest on the influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- French ex-minister in court over tax fraud, money laundering Updated: Feb-08-16 12:18 pm
PARIS - Jerome Cahuzac was the face of France's fight against tax evaders - until he was forced to acknowledge that he himself was dodging taxes, hiding money in tax havens around the world.
- After big loss, Credit Suisse CEO asks board: Cut my bonus Updated: Feb-08-16 6:21 am
GENEVA - The new CEO of Credit Suisse has proposed that its board make a "significant" cut in his bonus after the Swiss bank posted disappointing earnings last week and announced 4,000 job cuts.
- Bencic, Hingis help Switzerland beat Germany 3-2 in Fed Cup Updated: Feb-07-16 2:31 pm
LEIPZIG, Germany - Belinda Bencic and Australian Open doubles champion Martina Hingis sent Switzerland to the Fed Cup semifinals with a 3-2 win over Germany on Sunday.
- Lara Gut wins Super-G World Cup race, Vonn comes in 3rd Updated: Feb-07-16 8:36 am
GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN, Germany - Lindsey Vonn is getting some competition for the overall World Cup title although she is still comfortably ahead.
- Thousands more Syrians rush toward Turkey to flee fighting Updated: Feb-05-16 5:09 pm
BEIRUT - Thousands of Syrians rushed toward the Turkish border Friday, fleeing a fierce government offensive and intense Russian airstrikes near Syria's largest city of Aleppo.
- UN arbitrary detention panel: Opinionated, but toothless Updated: Feb-05-16 1:37 pm
GENEVA - The Working Group on Arbitrary Detention is a little-known piece of a sprawling human rights organization. Neither a court nor a tribunal, the five-member body can call countries and their leaders to account, but has no power of enforcement.
- The Latest: Assange hails 'victory' from embassy balcony Updated: Feb-05-16 12:06 pm
GENEVA - The Latest on the U.N. panel's determination that Julian Assange has been arbitrarily detained (all times local):
- Yun Sung-bin takes 1st skeleton World Cup win for S Korea Updated: Feb-05-16 12:03 pm
ST. MORITZ, Switzerland - Yun Sung-bin got South Korea's first win in skeleton World Cup history to end a perfect season for six-time defending champion Martins Dukurs.
- Swiss bank cooperates with US as 2 ex-bankers plead guilty Updated: Feb-04-16 6:54 pm
NEW YORK - Swiss bank Julius Baer, facing a criminal charge, has agreed to pay $547 million and cooperate for three years with American authorities to shut down accounts that enabled wealthy Americans to evade taxes, authorities announced Thursday.
- Analysis: Pause in Syrian talks shows peace remains elusive Updated: Feb-04-16 2:05 pm
BEIRUT - It was hardly unexpected that the Syrian peace talks in Geneva would break off in recrimination.
- Credit Suisse announces 4,000 job cuts amid big Q4 loss Updated: Feb-04-16 3:01 am
GENEVA - Credit Suisse is cutting roughly 4,000 jobs to reduce costs after announcing a massive pre-tax loss in the fourth quarter that includes "substantial charges which are not reflective of our underlying business performance," the bank said Thursday.
- Roger Federer has knee surgery, will skip 2 tournaments Updated: Feb-03-16 8:18 am
BASEL, Switzerland - Roger Federer has had knee surgery and will miss tournaments in Rotterdam and Dubai this month.
- Malaysian politician ousted after criticizing prime minister Updated: Feb-03-16 8:09 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The son of former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad resigned as the top leader of a federal state Wednesday, saying he was ousted because he had criticized Prime Minister Najib Razak over a $700 million financial scandal.
- UBS bank shares plunge as rich investors withdraw money Updated: Feb-02-16 9:54 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Swiss bank UBS saw its shares slide on Tuesday on news that investors had pulled billions out of its division serving wealthy clients - a token of the market turbulence that has shaken the world in the past few months.
- UN: Syria approves aid deliveries to 3 besieged villages Updated: Feb-01-16 7:25 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Syrian government on Monday approved a United Nations request for new aid deliveries to the besieged towns of Madaya, Foua and Kfarya where hundreds of civilians are facing severe malnutrition and some have starved to death.
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- 3-star chef Benoit Violier found dead in apparent suicide Updated: Feb-01-16 3:03 pm
PARIS - Chef Benoit Violier, whose 3-star restaurant in western Switzerland with its game specialties recently topped a list of the world's best, has been found dead of a likely self-inflicted gunshot, police said Monday. He was 44.
- UN rights chief: Turkey must probe shooting of civilians Updated: Feb-01-16 12:33 pm
GENEVA - The U.N. human rights chief called on Turkey on Monday to investigate the alleged shooting of unarmed people in southeastern Turkey that turned up in "extremely shocking" footage posted online last week.
- Singapore seizes bank accounts in Malaysian fund probe Updated: Feb-01-16 10:41 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore announced Monday that it has seized a large number of bank accounts in a probe into alleged misappropriations related to an indebted Malaysian state investment fund.
- 3 officials file appeals against life bans in IAAF case Updated: Feb-01-16 9:17 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Three athletics officials banned for life by the IAAF for bribery and extortion to cover up a Russian doping case have appealed to sport's highest court.
- UN health chief: Zika virus is 'spreading explosively' Updated: Jan-28-16 7:18 pm
GENEVA - The Zika virus is "spreading explosively" in the Americas, which could see up to 4 million cases over the next year, international health officials said Thursday, announcing a special meeting next week to decide if they should declare an international health emergency.
- Whistleblower helps Swiss prosecutors in FIFA, Blatter case Updated: Jan-28-16 8:00 am
BERN, Switzerland - A whistleblower has given potentially key evidence to Swiss prosecutors in their investigation of FIFA and suspended president Sepp Blatter.
- Strong Swiss franc dents earnings at drug maker Roche Updated: Jan-28-16 6:41 am
GENEVA - Pharmaceuticals company Roche says a strong Swiss franc weighed on its earnings last year and contributed to a 5 percent drop in net income, which fell short of analysts' estimates.