- Bayern Munich, Real Madrid in final of Audi Cup Updated: Aug-04-15 4:59 pm
- Aussies dominate podium at world swimming Updated: Aug-04-15 1:54 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Australia dominated the 100-meter backstroke events at the world swimming championships Tuesday, winning the men's title and going 1-2 in the women's final.
- Kohlschreiber, Haider-Maurer reach 2nd round in Kitzbuehel Updated: Aug-04-15 1:27 pm
KITZBUEHEL, Austria - Philipp Kohlschreiber overcame 14 aces by Jan-Lennard Struff to beat his German compatriot 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3 in the first round of the Generali Open on Tuesday.
- France seizes $27M Picasso masterpiece smuggled from Spain Updated: Aug-04-15 9:04 am
PARIS - French custom officials in the island of Corsica have seized a 24 million-euro ($27.4 million) masterpiece by Pablo Picasso that was banned from leaving Spain where it is considered a national treasure.
- Catalan leader calls elections aimed at breaking with Spain Updated: Aug-04-15 4:35 am
MADRID - Catalan regional government President Artur Mas has officially called early elections for Sept. 27, a poll he intends to use as a referendum on independence from Spain.
- Hunters in Africa say they have a role in conservation Updated: Aug-03-15 5:31 pm
JOHANNESBURG - In 1909-10, Theodore Roosevelt headed a Smithsonian hunting and trapping expedition in Africa that included colleagues who prepared the wildlife he killed for shipment back to America. The former U.S. president and his son, Kermit, shot hundreds of animals.
- Ronaldo, Benzema to miss preseason tournament Updated: Aug-03-15 9:32 am
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema will miss two preseason matches with Real Madrid after picking up injuries during training.
- Moroccan dies while being smuggled into Spain in suitcase Updated: Aug-03-15 8:59 am
MADRID - A Moroccan man died from suffocation while being smuggled into Spain by his brother inside a suitcase that was in the trunk of a car on a ferry crossing, authorities said Monday.
- Optimism at Man United tempered by absent striking quality Updated: Aug-03-15 7:02 am
MANCHESTER, England - For a club of Manchester United's standing, two years out of the Premier League title conversation is two too many.
- Quintana to ride in Vuelta after 2nd place at Tour de France Updated: Aug-03-15 5:48 am
MADRID - Movistar cycling team says Tour de France runner-up Nairo Quintana will race in the Spanish Vuelta.
- Nuns' tipoff leads Spanish police to arrest 212 for fraud Updated: Aug-02-15 2:57 pm
MADRID - Spanish police say a congregation of nuns in the southern city of Granada led them to an organization that allegedly defrauded as many as 7,000 victims of up to 7 million euros ($7.7 million).
- 84-year-old Spanish yachtsman rescued from sea after 4 hours Updated: Aug-02-15 1:03 pm
MADRID - An 84-year-old yacht owner who was knocked into the storm-tossed Mediterranean Sea by a swinging boom and survived more than four hours in the water is still keen to compete in a race, event organizers said Sunday.
- Boise's Jaialdi demonstrates that 'Basque values are plural' Updated: Aug-02-15 9:26 am
BOISE, Idaho - Idaho has 7,900 residents who claim Basque heritage, 2,000 of them in Boise. Those numbers are self-reported on government surveys, so the actual Basque population could be much higher. Contrary to myth, though, Idaho is not the most populous Basque state in the U.S.
- Spain replaces women's soccer coach Quereda after 27 years Updated: Jul-31-15 2:28 pm
MADRID - Spain's national women's soccer team has a new coach for the first time in 27 years after Jorge Vilda was hired to replace Ignacio Quereda, who had been in charge since 1988.
- Real Madrid signs defender Jesus Vallejo for 6 seasons Updated: Jul-31-15 1:41 pm
- Spain to give civil servants first pay rise in 5 years Updated: Jul-31-15 9:32 am
MADRID - Spain's prime minister Friday promised a 1 percent pay rise for Spain's 2.5 million civil servants in the 2016 budget, their first hike in five years after public spending was reined in because of the country's economic crisis.
- Spain: Court accepts princess' request to slash bail Updated: Jul-31-15 4:20 am
MADRID - A Spanish court has agreed to slash the 2.7 million-euro ($3 million) bail set for Princess Cristina while she awaits trial for tax fraud.
- Mavericks sign 7-2 Tunisian center Salah Mejri Updated: Jul-30-15 11:27 pm
DALLAS - The Mavericks have signed Tunisian center Salah Mejri from Real Madrid in the Spanish League.
- Loose papers may have caused deadly F-16 crash in Spain Updated: Jul-30-15 11:24 am
PARIS - Loose papers left in the cockpit of an F-16 that crashed at a Spanish air base could have sent the fighter jet into its deadly spiral, French investigators have concluded.
- Spain's Repsol profits down 44 percent in Q2 Updated: Jul-30-15 4:16 am
MADRID - Spanish energy company Repsol says its second-quarter profit fell by 44 percent compared with the same period last year following a sharp drop in oil prices and given that 2014 profits had been boosted by a one-off capital gain.
- Spanish competition authorities fine 20 auto companies Updated: Jul-29-15 7:22 am
MADRID - Spain's competition authorities have fined 20 car manufacturers and distributors 171 million euros ($188 million) for practices it said constituted a cartel.
- Atletico Madrid re-signs Brazil defender Filipe Luis Updated: Jul-28-15 11:38 am
MADRID - Brazil defender Filipe Luis will return to Atletico Madrid for four seasons after a one-year spell at Chelsea.
- Spanish police: shooting in Barcelona, 1 wounded Updated: Jul-28-15 11:16 am
MADRID - A gunman opened fire in a street in downtown Barcelona Tuesday, wounding one person, Spanish police said.
- Idaho festival celebrates Basque culture, history Updated: Jul-28-15 9:41 am
BOISE, Idaho - With more than 300 pounds of chorizo sitting in her freezer and 5,000 portions of Basque-style paella prepared in advance, Tara McElhose-Eiguren says she's finally running out of space in her kitchen in anticipation of helping feed those attending the traditional Jaialdi festival in southwestern Idaho.
- Spanish firefighters bring major forest blaze under control Updated: Jul-28-15 5:49 am
MADRID - Authorities in northeastern Spain say they have brought under control a major blaze that was Catalonia's biggest wildfire in three years.