- Defender Adriano joins list of Barca players probed for tax Updated: May-04-16 11:57 am
MADRID - Defender Adriano has joined the list of Barcelona players to be probed by Spain's prosecutors for alleged tax fraud.
- Spanish league loses its sponsor, may have many smaller ones Updated: May-04-16 10:57 am
MADRID - Spanish league president Javier Tebas says the league has lost its exclusive sponsor and will most likely not be able to replace it in time for next season.
- Victoria Azarenka retires from Madrid Open with back injury Updated: May-04-16 9:18 am
MADRID - Fourth-seeded Victoria Azarenka has pulled out of the Madrid Open because of a back injury.
- Spain: Strike keeps El Mundo newspaper off streets Updated: May-04-16 5:05 am
MADRID - Spain's second-largest newspaper, El Mundo, has not appeared in news kiosks owing to a strike over planned layoffs. It is the first time the newspaper's publication has been hit by a stoppage since its foundation in 1989.
- Andy Murray won't stay at Olympic Village at Rio Games Updated: May-03-16 8:26 pm
MADRID - Defending champion Andy Murray says he won't be living in the Olympic Village in Rio de Janeiro, preferring to stay at an apartment with the British tennis team.
- Atletico Madrid reaches Champions League final on away goals Updated: May-03-16 6:26 pm
MUNICH - A goal from Antoine Griezmann sent Atletico Madrid to the Champions League final for the second time in three seasons despite a 2-1 defeat at Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
- Nadal, Murray advance to 3rd round at Madrid Masters Updated: May-03-16 5:26 pm
MADRID - Rafael Nadal easily defeated Andrey Kuznetsov 6-3, 6-3 to reach the third round of the Madrid Masters on Tuesday, while Andy Murray advanced after a hard-fought 7-6, 3-6, 6-1 win over 37-year-old Radek Stepanek.
- Atletico Madrid returns to lead AP Global Football 10 Updated: May-03-16 11:06 am
LONDON - Atletico Madrid led the Associated Press Global Football 10 on Tuesday after two victories in a week maintained its bid to win the Champions League and Spanish league.
- Taliban threats force Afghan boy, fan of Messi, into exile Updated: May-03-16 8:46 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The family of a 5-year-old Afghan boy who received autographed shirts from his soccer hero Lionel Messi was forced to leave Afghanistan amid constant telephone threats and a menacing Taliban letter, the boy's father said Tuesday.
- Spain king signs decree for unprecedented new elections Updated: May-03-16 4:43 am
MADRID - Spain's King Felipe VI has signed a decree dissolving parliament and calling elections for June 26 after deputies elected in an inconclusive December election failed to agree on a new prime minister.
- Spanish police arrest 4 for suspected jihad links Updated: May-03-16 3:19 am
MADRID - The Interior Ministry says police have arrested four people in the Madrid area suspected of spreading pro-jihad propaganda and recruiting followers.
- Levante relegated from Spanish league after losing to Malaga Updated: May-02-16 5:27 pm
MADRID - Levante is the first team to be relegated from the Spanish top tier after a 3-1 loss at Malaga on Monday.
- 230 million-year-old dinosaur footprint found in north Spain Updated: May-02-16 3:03 pm
MADRID - Spain says a footprint of a dinosaur that roamed the area 230 million years ago has been found in northeastern Catalonia, and says it's the best preserved dinosaur print seen so far in the Iberian Peninsula.
- Ronaldo practices again, looks fit to face Man City Updated: May-02-16 2:33 pm
MADRID - Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo's chances of facing Manchester City in the second leg of the Champions League semifinals on Wednesday were boosted as he returned to full training, having missed three consecutive games because of an injury to his right leg.
- Federer withdraws from Madrid Masters because of back injury Updated: May-02-16 12:09 pm
MADRID - Roger Federer's injury woes continue.
- Spain: 4 arrested at bull festival for assault on activists Updated: May-02-16 12:02 pm
MADRID - Police arrested four people at a bull run festival in northeastern Spain for allegedly attacking two animal rights activists who tried to video the event, an official said Monday.
- Sports court orders FIFA to admit Gibraltar as member Updated: May-02-16 11:34 am
GENEVA - FIFA has been ordered by sport's highest court to accept Gibraltar as a member, opening the national team's path to play in the 2018 World Cup qualifying program.
- Murray with high expectations after breakthrough Madrid win Updated: May-02-16 10:59 am
MADRID - Andy Murray returns to the Madrid Masters with different expectations after his breakthrough win at the tournament a year ago.
- Nadal looks to keep momentum at Madrid Masters Updated: May-01-16 3:43 pm
MADRID - Rafael Nadal arrives at the Madrid Masters with a chance to erase any doubts about his form going into the French Open.
- Quintana wins Tour of Romandie; Albasini gets stage win Updated: May-01-16 9:15 am
GENEVA - Nairo Quintana protected his overall lead to win the Tour of Romandie on Sunday after a final stage won by race specialist Michael Albasini.
- Barca goalkeeper Bravo injured with 2 rounds left for title Updated: May-01-16 7:11 am
BARCELONA, Spain - Barcelona says goalkeeper Claudio Bravo has injured his right leg with two more rounds left to decide the Spanish league title.
- Sweden celebrates king's 70th with ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' Updated: Apr-30-16 1:45 pm
STOCKHOLM - Royals from around the world flew in, loyal Swedes lined the streets of Stockholm and the sounds of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" rang out from an army band on Saturday as Sweden celebrated King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th birthday.
- Gibraltar pushes for airport to be under EU aviation laws Updated: Apr-30-16 12:46 pm
GIBRALTAR - Gibraltar's authorities have joined air-travel industry leaders in calling for the small British territory on Spain's southwestern tip to be included in the European Union's laws governing European aviation.
- Ranieri closes in on Hollywood ending with Leicester Updated: Apr-29-16 1:31 pm
LONDON - The Premier League trophy arrived in Leicester on Friday for a promotional tour. It will surely be back next month with Leicester City etched into the solid silver for the first time.
- Sevilla's Krohn-Dehli out 7 months after knee surgery Updated: Apr-29-16 11:53 am
SEVILLE, Spain - Sevilla says midfielder Michael Krohn-Dehli will be sidelined for at least seven months after undergoing surgery on a broken left knee.