- Russia, US plan another talk to avoid air conflicts in Syria Updated: Oct-06-15 11:48 am
NAVAL AIR STATION SIGONELLA, Italy - Russia has informed the United States that Moscow is willing to continue talks to ensure that the two countries' aircraft don't interfere with each other over Syria, senior U.S. military officials said Tuesday.
- Spanish prosecutors call for arrest of Messi's father Updated: Oct-06-15 10:17 am
MADRID - Barcelona prosecutors are calling for the arrest of Lionel Messi's father in a tax fraud case.
- Court keeps passport of ex-IMF chief Rato in fraud case Updated: Oct-06-15 9:22 am
MADRID - A Spanish magistrate has withdrawn the passport of former International Monetary Fund chief Rodrigo Rato, who is under investigation for alleged tax fraud, money laundering and corruption.
- Spain defender Sergio Ramos to miss European qualifiers Updated: Oct-06-15 8:43 am
MADRID - Defender Sergio Ramos will miss Spain's last two European Championship qualifiers because of an injured shoulder.
- Legendary Spanish editor launching new digital publication Updated: Oct-06-15 7:33 am
MADRID - The legendary Spanish newspaper editor is flush with 18 million euros ($20 million) from crowdfunding, well-heeled investors and the payoff he received for leaving Spain's No. 2 newspaper. With that haul, Pedro J. Ramirez is about to launch a startup digital publication aimed at shaking up Spanish journalism and scooping traditional and new media competition.
- Portugal begins job of clarifying government's future Updated: Oct-06-15 6:31 am
LISBON, Portugal - Senior Portuguese officials are starting the delicate task of installing a stable government after a general election that complicated as much as it clarified the country's future.
- Spain: Court sets Jan. 11 as trial date for princess Updated: Oct-06-15 5:44 am
MADRID - Spain's Princess Cristina will stand trial on tax fraud charges on Jan. 11, a court announced Tuesday. She will be the first royal family member to stand trial since Spain's monarchy was restored in 1975.
- Spain to get European warning on budget Updated: Oct-05-15 2:32 pm
LUXEMBOURG - The European Union's executive arm is to warn Spain over its draft budget plans for this year and next.
- Injuries force changes to Spain squad to face Luxembourg Updated: Oct-05-15 1:00 pm
MADRID - Injuries have forced Spain coach Vicente del Bosque to call up three replacements as his squad prepares for its last two European Championship qualifying matches against Luxembourg and Ukraine.
- US officials question Russian flight incursion into Turkey Updated: Oct-05-15 12:13 pm
MADRID - The U.S. does not believe Russia's incursion into Turkey's airspace was an accident, a senior U.S. official said Monday, adding that urgent talks are underway on what to do about the weekend incident.
- Madrid defender Dani Carvajal out with ankle ligament injury Updated: Oct-05-15 11:14 am
MADRID - Real Madrid says its defender Dani Carvajal injured his right ankle during the 1-1 league draw at Atletico Madrid.
- Pentagon chief: Afghan situation 'confused and complicated' Updated: Oct-05-15 9:00 am
MADRID - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Sunday promised a full and transparent investigation into whether a U.S. aircraft providing support for American and Afghan commandos was responsible for the explosions that destroyed a hospital in northern Afghanistan, killing 22 people.
- Barcelona falls 2-1 to Sevilla in Spanish league Updated: Oct-03-15 1:01 pm
MADRID - Barcelona lost 2-1 at struggling Sevilla on Saturday, missing the chance to take the provisional lead in the Spanish league.
- Spanish police probe garages offering emission cheating Updated: Oct-03-15 10:36 am
MADRID - Spanish police have cracked down on a string of garages that allegedly provided customers with mechanical and software services that enabled their cars to cheat emission checks in a scam similar to that which has engulfed Volkswagen, a statement said Saturday.
- Spanish court sentences 11 for jihad recruitment Updated: Oct-02-15 10:46 am
MADRID - Spain's National Court has convicted and sentenced 11 members of a recruitment network that sent militants to carry out attacks for al-Qaida-linked groups fighting in Syria.
- Spain grants citizenship to 4,300 with Sephardic Jew roots Updated: Oct-02-15 9:15 am
MADRID - Spain on Friday granted citizenship to 4,302 people whose Jewish ancestors fled after being told in 1492 to convert to Catholicism or go into exile ahead of the Spanish Inquisition that saw many Jews burned at the stake.
- Real Madrid honors Ronaldo for setting scoring record Updated: Oct-02-15 9:02 am
MADRID - Real Madrid held a special ceremony to honor Cristiano Ronaldo on Friday after he became the club's all-time leading scorer.
- Spain media mogul seeks libel charges against El Pais editor Updated: Oct-02-15 6:59 am
MADRID - Two of Spain's top media companies are facing off after a broadcasting magnate who has bankrolled Woody Allen movies asked a court to file criminal charges against the editor-in-chief of the country's leading newspaper.
- Spain's premier calls general election to be held on Dec 20 Updated: Oct-01-15 3:53 pm
MADRID - Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has called a much-anticipated general election for Dec. 20 that will showcase four parties vying for power.
- Former F1 driver Alguersuari retires from auto racing Updated: Oct-01-15 2:38 pm
MADRID - Former Formula One driver Jaime Alguersuari says he is retiring from auto racing at the age of 25.
- Villarreal looking to keep momentum going in Spain Updated: Oct-01-15 9:10 am
MADRID - Looking for its sixth win a row, Villarreal is the team to beat in Spain.
- Spain's Repsol energy firm plans 1,500 job cuts over 3 years Updated: Oct-01-15 6:49 am
MADRID - Spanish energy company Repsol plans to eliminate 6 percent of its workforce by 2020, meaning about 1,500 job cuts for the company's roster of 25,000 employees.
- Germany back in 2nd place in FIFA rankings, Spain up to 6th Updated: Oct-01-15 4:38 am
ZURICH - World Cup champion Germany has moved back into second place in the FIFA rankings behind Argentina.
- Benfica beats Atletico Madrid 2-1 to take Group C lead Updated: Sep-30-15 7:03 pm
MADRID - Benfica came from behind to surprise Atletico Madrid with a 2-1 win on Wednesday, taking the lead in Group C of the Champions League.
- Another record for Ronaldo, another win for Madrid Updated: Sep-30-15 7:02 pm
MADRID - Cristiano Ronaldo surpassed the 500-goal mark and Real Madrid hailed him as the club's all-time leading scorer on Wednesday, while Manchester United and Manchester City rebounded from opening losses to remain in contention in the Champions League.