- Atletico not thinking of 'cruel' past in rerun of 2014 final Updated: May-27-16 2:25 pm
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading Man United Updated: May-27-16 7:40 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United needed a serial winner to restore the team's status as a European powerhouse. Jose Mourinho craved an iconic stage like Old Trafford to remind the world of his rare talent as a coach.
- EU: 2 arrested for suspected spying in Rome Updated: May-25-16 9:17 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's agency for judicial cooperation says a Portuguese national and a Russian have been arrested in Rome on suspicion of being involved in espionage for hire.
- Police help Lisbon port move cargo amid dock workers' strike Updated: May-24-16 7:29 am
LISBON, Portugal - Riot police have held back striking Lisbon dock workers while port operators remove ship containers stranded for several weeks by the walkout over pay and labor rights.
- Braga beats Porto on penalties to win Portuguese Cup Updated: May-22-16 7:24 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Braga defeated Porto 4-2 in a penalty shootout to win the Portuguese Cup on Sunday, 50 years after its only previous title.
- Portugal cracks down on itself over tax haven use Updated: May-20-16 9:53 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's finance ministry says it is looking at ways of preventing government departments from using tax havens after the Treasury debt agency was found to have held an investment in Jersey.
- Sporting Lisbon lodges complaint about police hitting fan Updated: May-19-16 12:42 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Sporting Lisbon has complained to the police about what it called a "barbaric" assault by riot police on some of its fans.
- UN: Risk of Zika outbreak across Europe is "low to moderate" Updated: May-18-16 6:17 am
LONDON - The World Health Organization says the risk of a Zika outbreak across Europe is "low to moderate," in a new risk assessment.
- Teenage midfielder Renato Sanches picked for Portugal squad Updated: May-17-16 4:04 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Teenage midfielder Renato Sanches was chosen in the Portugal squad for the European Championship on Tuesday.
- Italian, Venezuelan lawmakers in shouting match at EU event Updated: May-17-16 10:39 am
LISBON, Portugal - Two delegates from Italy and Venezuela got involved in a shouting match at a meeting in Portugal aimed at developing closer ties between lawmakers from the European Parliament and legislative bodies in Latin America.
- Benfica wins 3rd straight Portuguese league title Updated: May-15-16 2:27 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Benfica won its third straight Portuguese league title by defeating Nacional 4-1 in Sunday's last round, setting a new league record with 88 points from 34 matches.
- Portuguese lawmakers extend pregnancy rights to gay women Updated: May-13-16 10:07 am
LISBON, Portugal - Gay women will soon have access to artificial insemination in Portugal after the country's Parliament approved legal changes widening access to the procedure.
- Man climbs 19th-century statue, breaks it into pieces Updated: May-12-16 2:19 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese officials said Thursday they are trying to put a value on a 19th-century statue broken when a man climbed up it late at night to take a photo, possibly a selfie.
- Jose Mourinho certain he will be managing again by July Updated: May-12-16 2:28 am
MEXICO CITY - Jose Mourinho is certain he will be managing a club within two months but says the delayed appointment will compromise preseason preparations.
- Bayern starts rebuilding squad with 2 new arrivals Updated: May-10-16 8:55 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - Bayern Munich has started to rebuild its squad as coach Pep Guardiola prepares to leave after three seasons.
- Benfica sells teenager Sanches to Bayern for $40 million Updated: May-10-16 7:48 am
LISBON, Portugal - Benfica is selling 18-year-old midfielder Renato Sanches to Bayern Munich for 35 million euros ($40 million), with the Bundesliga champion possibly spending an additional 45 million euros depending on performances.
- 2 alleged members of Russian mafia denied bail in Portugal Updated: May-07-16 12:53 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A lawyer says two men arrested in Portugal on suspicion of forming part of a Russian mafia group that allegedly infiltrated a Portuguese soccer club to launder money have been denied bail and ordered to remain in preventive custody.
- Convicted Colombian drug-traffickers go missing in Portugal Updated: May-06-16 6:49 am
LISBON, Portugal - A lawyer for two Colombians convicted in Portugal of drug-trafficking says the pair are missing after being released from prison while their appeals are being considered.
- European police say Russian mafia infiltrating soccer clubs Updated: May-04-16 11:03 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese and European police say they have broken up a cell of an important Russian mafia group that allegedly laundered money through European football clubs.
- Paralympic swimmer disqualified over Olympic rings tattoo Updated: May-02-16 3:21 pm
MADEIRA, Portugal - Paralympic swimming champion Josef Craig was disqualified from a race at the IPC European Championships for failing to cover up a tattoo of the Olympic rings.
- Almagro rallies to beat Carreno Busta for Estoril Open title Updated: May-01-16 4:55 pm
ESTORIL, Portugal - Nicolas Almagro recovered from a set down to beat fellow Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta 6-7 (6), 7-6 (5), 6-3 and win the Estoril Open final on Sunday.
- Portugal wins more time for recovery after rating decision Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal and the rest of the eurozone could breathe a sigh of relief Friday after international ratings agency DBRS said it wasn't lowering Portuguese sovereign debt to junk status - a feared move that likely would have sparked a fresh bout of international jitters about the soundness of the shared currency.
- Column: Where Leicester fits in sports' history of underdogs Updated: Apr-28-16 10:47 am
PARIS - On the list of improbabilities, just behind hell freezing over and pigs taking to the air was Leicester winning the Premier League. That, at least, is how things seemed nine months ago, at the start of the most unlikely championship charge in English football history.
- Cape Verde Official: Police nab suspect in slaying of 11 Updated: Apr-27-16 3:14 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Police in Cape Verde captured Wednesday a soldier suspected of killing 11 people at a military barracks in the West African island nation, an official at Cape Verde's Defense Ministry said.