- Portugal struggles to sell rescued bank Updated: Sep-01-15 9:31 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal is having trouble selling Novo Banco, the so-called good bank salvaged from last year's collapse of major lender Banco Espirito Santo.
- Africa's Cape Verde islands escape major hurricane damage Updated: Sep-01-15 6:38 am
LISBON, Portugal - Authorities in Cape Verde say the first hurricane to pass over the West African islands caused flooding, uprooted trees and tore off some roofs but caused no major damage or injuries.
- Marseille signs Portugal defender Rolando Updated: Aug-31-15 5:27 pm
PARIS - Forced to restructure after the unexpected departure of its coach earlier this month, Marseille bolstered its porous defense by signing three new players including Portugal international Rolando on the final day of Europe's transfer window.
- Economy boosts Portuguese government's re-election bid Updated: Aug-31-15 7:04 am
LISBON, Portugal - Economic news is continuing to give heart to Portugal's center-right government as it aims for re-election in October.
- Arouca misses chance to take lead in Portuguese league Updated: Aug-30-15 6:19 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Arouca was held to a 1-1 draw at Pacos Ferreira on Sunday, missing a chance to take the lead of the Portuguese league.
- Midfielder Veloso back for Portugal against France, Albania Updated: Aug-28-15 10:51 am
LISBON, Portugal - Miguel Veloso earned his first call-up in a year as Portugal coach Fernando Santos announced his 24-man squad for an exhibition game against France and a European Championship qualifying match in Albania.
- Portuguese judges block surveillance law to fight terror Updated: Aug-28-15 6:01 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's Constitutional Court has disallowed legislation that would have given intelligence agencies access to private communications metadata.
- UEFA Champions League Group Stage Draw Updated: Aug-27-15 1:00 pm
MONACO - Draw made Thursday for the UEFA Champions League group stage:
- Portuguese government pleases some police, annoys others Updated: Aug-27-15 10:14 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's government has bowed to police demands for a shorter working week and early retirement, but some police labor groups aren't happy and are promising street demonstrations.
- 21 parties register for Portugal's general election Oct. 4 Updated: Aug-27-15 7:23 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's National Election Commission says 21 parties, some in coalitions, will field candidates in the Oct. 4 general election.
- More growth, jobs: Portugal's Socialists make big promises Updated: Aug-19-15 10:41 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's main opposition Socialist Party is promising to deliver more growth and less austerity if it regains power in October elections.
- Skeletons in Portugal may be Jewish victims of Inquisition Updated: Aug-19-15 7:35 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese researchers suspect that a dozen skeletons found in an ancient garbage dump were Jewish victims of the Inquisition more than 400 years ago.
- Late Slimani goal gives Sporting 2-1 win over CSKA Updated: Aug-18-15 5:18 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Islam Slimani struck a late winner as Sporting Lisbon defeated CSKA Moscow 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League playoff on Tuesday.
- Portuguese election brings a crush of labor demands Updated: Aug-18-15 10:40 am
LISBON, Portugal - In the run-up to an October general election, Portuguese labor groups are stepping up their pressure for higher pay and better working hours, with police hinting they will stop handing out traffic fines.
- Mile Mrksic, Serb army officer convicted of war crimes, dies Updated: Aug-17-15 6:58 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese authorities say Mile Mrksic, a former Serb army officer sentenced by a U.N. tribunal to 20 years in prison for his part in the 1991 torture and killings of nearly 200 Croatians during the Balkan wars, has died. He was 68.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's sister makes bid to be Eurovision singer Updated: Aug-15-15 8:29 am
LISBON, Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo's sister, Katia Aveiro, has launched a Twitter campaign asking fans to back her bid to represent Portugal in the Eurovision Song Contest.
- AP names Tales Azzoni as Madrid sports writer Updated: Aug-11-15 7:05 pm
MADRID - Tales Azzoni, an AP sports writer in Sao Paulo, Brazil, has been appointed as the AP's sports reporter in Madrid, responsible for covering Spain and Portugal.
- Sporting Lisbon gives up attempt to sign Ghana's Boateng Updated: Aug-05-15 12:05 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Sporting Lisbon says its efforts to sign midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng have ended after the two sides failed to reach agreement on the player's image rights.
- Fall in unemployment rate gives heart to Portugal government Updated: Aug-05-15 7:47 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's center-right government has received some good news as it aims for re-election in two months' time: the country's unemployment rate has dropped to its lowest level in four years.