- Rio Ave hold Sporting Lisbon 0-0 in Portuguese league Updated: Feb-08-16 6:16 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Sporting Lisbon missed the chance to return to return to the top of the Portuguese league on Monday after being held to a goalless draw by Rio Ave.
- Portugal buys 50 percent of TAP airline for $2.1 million Updated: Feb-06-16 11:05 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese government says it has agreed to buy 50 percent of the country's carrier TAP Air Portugal for 1.9 million euros ($2.1 million).
- Anti-austerity Portuguese government gets EU's OK for budget Updated: Feb-05-16 1:09 pm
LISBON, Portugal - In a tug of war over budgets, the European Commission approved Portugal's so-called anti-austerity spending plan on Friday, but only after extracting a promise for almost $1 billion in additional cost cuts.
- Sporting KC loans Erik Palmer-Brown to Portugal's FC Porto Updated: Feb-01-16 7:48 pm
- The Latest: Stoke signs $26m Imbula in winter's biggest deal Updated: Feb-01-16 6:03 pm
LONDON - The Latest on European soccer transfer deadline day (all times local):
- Portugal's president blocks laws on gay adoption, abortion Updated: Jan-25-16 8:23 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's president has vetoed bills recently passed by Parliament that granted full adoption rights to same-sex couples and removed abortion restrictions.
- Portugal's new president demands financial discipline Updated: Jan-24-16 6:39 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A center-right candidate scored a resounding victory in Portugal's presidential election Sunday, warning he would use the largely ceremonial post to prevent the center-left anti-austerity government from worsening the debt-heavy country's financial health.
- Portugal to nominate Antonio Guterres as UN chief Updated: Jan-22-16 10:48 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's government says it will nominate former prime minister Antonio Guterres to become the next secretary-general of the United Nations.
- Portuguese, Puerto Rican hall project gets $250,000 donation Updated: Jan-22-16 7:17 am
WAILUKU, Hawaii - A multimillion-dollar project to build a social hall and office building for the Portuguese Association of Maui and Maui Puerto Rican Association is one step closer to completion thanks to a $250,000 donation from a Maui business owner.
- Portugal's new govt says goodbye to post-bailout austerity Updated: Jan-22-16 5:27 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's new Socialist government is promising to lower the country's budget deficit this year, while also scrapping unpopular austerity measures.
- Porto hires a Portuguese coach to replace fired Spaniard Updated: Jan-20-16 5:25 am
LISBON, Portugal - FC Porto says it has hired Portuguese coach Jose Peseiro on an 18-month contract to replace Spaniard Julen Lopetegui.
- Portugal striker Hugo Almeida signs for Hannover Updated: Jan-16-16 12:13 pm
BREMEN, Germany - Portugal striker Hugo Almeida is returning to the Bundesliga to reunite with coach Thomas Schaaf at relegation-threatened Hannover.
- Rare January hurricane weakens to tropical storm Updated: Jan-15-16 10:28 am
MIAMI - A rare January hurricane in the Atlantic weakened to a tropical storm Friday morning after moving over the Azores.
- Portuguese court rules to extradite ex-CIA agent to Italy Updated: Jan-15-16 7:20 am
LISBON, Portugal - A Portuguese court has ruled that a former CIA operative convicted of kidnapping an Egyptian cleric as part of an extraordinary renditions program should be turned over to Italy to serve her six-year sentence there, a court official said Friday.
- Messi's name painted on Ronaldo's statue in Portugal Updated: Jan-12-16 3:41 pm
MADRID - Vandals in Portugal have painted Lionel Messi's name on a Cristiano Ronaldo statue in Portugal.
- Lionel Messi wins FIFA world player award for 5th time Updated: Jan-11-16 3:40 pm
ZURICH - Now score it Lionel Messi 5, Cristiano Ronaldo 3.