- European police say Russian mafia infiltrating soccer clubs Updated: May-04-16 11:03 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portuguese and European police say they have broken up a cell of an important Russian mafia group that allegedly laundered money through European football clubs.
- Paralympic swimmer disqualified over Olympic rings tattoo Updated: May-02-16 3:21 pm
MADEIRA, Portugal - Paralympic swimming champion Josef Craig was disqualified from a race at the IPC European Championships for failing to cover up a tattoo of the Olympic rings.
- Uniao takes big step to staying up in Portugal Updated: May-01-16 5:55 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Unaio de Madeira took a big step toward remaining in the Portuguese top flight by beating Academica 3-1 on Sunday.
- Almagro rallies to beat Carreno Busta for Estoril Open title Updated: May-01-16 4:55 pm
ESTORIL, Portugal - Nicolas Almagro recovered from a set down to beat fellow Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta 6-7 (6), 7-6 (5), 6-3 and win the Estoril Open final on Sunday.
- Portugal wins more time for recovery after rating decision Updated: Apr-29-16 12:44 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal and the rest of the eurozone could breathe a sigh of relief Friday after international ratings agency DBRS said it wasn't lowering Portuguese sovereign debt to junk status - a feared move that likely would have sparked a fresh bout of international jitters about the soundness of the shared currency.
- Column: Where Leicester fits in sports' history of underdogs Updated: Apr-28-16 10:47 am
PARIS - On the list of improbabilities, just behind hell freezing over and pigs taking to the air was Leicester winning the Premier League. That, at least, is how things seemed nine months ago, at the start of the most unlikely championship charge in English football history.
- Cape Verde Official: Police nab suspect in slaying of 11 Updated: Apr-27-16 3:14 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Police in Cape Verde captured Wednesday a soldier suspected of killing 11 people at a military barracks in the West African island nation, an official at Cape Verde's Defense Ministry said.
- Options narrow for ex-CIA agent's fight against extradition Updated: Apr-26-16 12:47 pm
LISBON, Portugal - A former CIA operative has one last chance to avoid being extradited from Portugal to Italy to serve a prison sentence for her part in the U.S. extraordinary renditions program, Portuguese court officials said Tuesday.
- Portugal gets relief from spike in walkouts after bailout Updated: Apr-22-16 6:41 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese are getting some relief from strikes that disrupted their lives after the country's financial bailout forced authorities to cut pay, pensions and other entitlements.
- Portugal expects less austerity and healthier state finances Updated: Apr-21-16 10:59 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's anti-austerity government said Thursday it can substantially reduce the country's budget deficit in coming years without cutting pay or pensions or increasing income tax.
- Madeleine McCann's parents lose Lisbon libel case on appeal Updated: Apr-19-16 11:20 am
LISBON, Portugal - An appeals court in Portugal has overturned the libel conviction of a former Portuguese detective who published a book alleging the parents of missing British girl Madeleine McCann were involved in their daughter's disappearance, the parents' lawyer said Tuesday.
- Northern Calif. man found guilty of quinceanera stabbings Updated: Apr-19-16 9:03 am
MADISON, California - A California man has been convicted of mayhem and assault with a deadly weapon after authorities say he stabbed six people at a girl's 15th birthday party.
- Rhode Island woman's search for dad leads to Massachusetts Updated: Apr-18-16 9:47 am
FALL RIVER, Massachusetts - With her laptop perpetually open to ancestry.com and her dining room wall covered in index cards that bear the names of close and distant relatives, Laura Flanagan is trying to solve a mystery.
- Spanish rival launches 2nd takeover bid for Portuguese bank Updated: Apr-18-16 6:18 am
LISBON, Portugal - Spain's Caixabank is making its second attempt in just over a year to take control of Banco Portugues do Investimento, launching a crossborder takeover bid Monday that valued the Portuguese bank at 1.62 billion euros ($1.83 billion).
- Bayern in Champions League semifinals despite Benfica draw Updated: Apr-13-16 5:40 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Bayern Munich advanced to the semifinals of the Champions League despite being held to a 2-2 draw at Benfica on Wednesday.
- MMA fighter dies after KO in Dublin bout Updated: Apr-12-16 11:19 am
DUBLIN - A mixed martial arts fighter from Portugal died Tuesday, three days after being hospitalized with injuries from a fight.
- Portugal brings charges against policeman in stadium beating Updated: Apr-12-16 8:12 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's public prosecutor has filed charges that could bring a prison sentence of more than 10 years against a policeman who beat a middle-aged football fan in front of his two young sons, with the video of the incident causing a national scandal.
- Spanish, Angolan rivals reach deal over Portuguese bank Updated: Apr-11-16 6:58 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Lisbon stock exchange suspended trading in shares in Banco Portugues do Investimento as the market awaited details Monday of a takeover agreement between the bank's Spanish and Angolan shareholders.
- Mourinho rejects Syria approach but wants coaching return Updated: Apr-09-16 5:57 pm
LONDON - Jose Mourinho declined Syria's offer to coach the war-torn nation's team on Saturday while reiterating his desire to return to management in England next season.
- Portugal investigates airline's purchase of Brazilian firm Updated: Apr-08-16 12:32 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's attorney general's office says investigators have conducted searches of TAP Air Portugal's premises as part of an investigation into the airline's purchase of a Brazilian aircraft maintenance company.
- Portugal's head of culture quits after uncultured threats Updated: Apr-08-16 9:47 am
LISBON, Portugal - The Portuguese government's head of culture quit Friday after causing an outcry by threatening on social media to slap two newspaper critics.
- Bayern beats Benfica 1-0 in Champions League quarterfinal Updated: Apr-05-16 5:56 pm
MUNICH - Arturo Vidal's early header was enough for Bayern Munich to beat Benfica 1-0 at home on Tuesday and take a slender advantage from the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal.