- Is Portugal about to go down the same road as Greece? Updated: Nov-26-15 3:25 am
LISBON, Portugal - An anti-austerity alliance including radical leftist parties takes power. A shaky economy and huge debts menace the national economy. The rest of Europe watches with a wary eye.
- Dynamo Kiev upsets FC Porto 2-0, in Champions League Updated: Nov-24-15 5:01 pm
PORTO, Portugal - Dynamo Kiev upset FC Porto 2-0 on Tuesday to leave Champions League Group G wide open with one game left to play.
- Portugal's Socialists to take power, backed by radicals Updated: Nov-24-15 9:40 am
LISBON, Portugal - An anti-austerity alliance led by the moderate Socialist Party and including the Communist Party and radical left Bloc is taking power in Portugal after the eurozone country's president on Tuesday set aside fears about those parties' economic and foreign policies.
- Hazard solving slump mystery key to Chelsea recovering form Updated: Nov-23-15 12:28 pm
LONDON - If one player epitomizes Chelsea's slump it's surely Eden Hazard.
- Stories of those who died in the Paris attacks Updated: Nov-20-15 9:17 pm
They were artists and students, music lovers, parents and newlyweds. The victims of last week's attacks in Paris had varied backgrounds and interests. Among the 130 killed in the attacks, here are some of their stories:
- Portugal allows same-sex adoption, artificial insemination Updated: Nov-20-15 8:43 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's Parliament has approved laws allowing same-sex couples to legally adopt children and permitting lesbians to obtain medically assisted fertilization.
- Portugal eyes new head of state in Jan. 24 presidential vote Updated: Nov-19-15 8:16 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal will elect a new president on Jan. 24, with the current head of state unable to stand again after serving two consecutive five-year terms.
- Shirokov lifts Russia to 1-0 win over Portugal in friendly Updated: Nov-14-15 11:22 am
KRASNODAR, Russia - Roman Shirokov's 89th-minute goal gave Russia a 1-0 win over Portugal in a friendly Saturday, extending the winning start to new Russia coach Leonid Slutsky's reign.
- Portuguese leader Sporting beats Arouca on 90th-minute goal Updated: Nov-08-15 6:10 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Islam Slimani scored in the 90th minute to give Sporting Lisbon a 1-0 win at Arouca on Sunday, maintaining its lead of the Portuguese league by extending its unbeaten streak to 21 games in the competition.
- Portugal gives Ronaldo a rest, calls up newcomers for games Updated: Nov-06-15 8:23 am
LISBON, Portugal - Cristiano Ronaldo is getting a rest from Portugal's national team.
- Portugal's radicals move to heart of power after debt crisis Updated: Nov-06-15 5:49 am
LISBON, Portugal - Die-hard communists are poised to walk the corridors of power in Portugal, and a new generation of leftist radicals is right beside them.
- NATO chief sounds alarm over Russian buildup Updated: Nov-05-15 10:02 am
TROIA, Portugal - NATO's secretary-general sounded the alarm Thursday over the build-up of Russian military forces from the Baltic Sea to the Mediterranean and called on the U.S.-led alliance to come up with a response.
- Porto beats Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Champions League Updated: Nov-04-15 4:54 pm
HAIFA, Israel - Porto moved closer to a place in the knockout stages of the Champions League on Wednesday after easing to a 3-1 victory over Maccabi Tel-Aviv in Group G.
- Benfica beats Galatasaray 2-1, takes CL Group C lead Updated: Nov-03-15 4:59 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Central defender Luisao scored in the 67th minute to give Benfica a 2-1 win over Galatasaray in the Champions League on Tuesday and put the Portuguese club two points clear at the top of Group C with two games to play.
- Storm kills 1, causes severe flooding in southern Portugal Updated: Nov-02-15 2:53 pm
LISBON, Portugal - Authorities say a heavy storm has killed one person and caused severe flooding in Portugal's Algarve region.
- Spain, Portugal police bust drug-smuggling gang, arrest 15 Updated: Oct-31-15 12:06 pm
MADRID - Spanish and Portuguese police say they have dismantled an organization that used powerboats to import large quantities of drugs into Spain from Morocco and have arrested 15 suspects.
- Portuguese minority government, likely doomed, takes office Updated: Oct-30-15 9:47 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's center-right coalition government took office Friday, starting the countdown to its likely collapse in 11 days' time.
- Portuguese journalists' group criticizes media gag order Updated: Oct-29-15 7:16 am
LISBON, Portugal - Portugal's Journalists' Union says an injunction barring a Portuguese media group from reporting on a corruption investigation into a former prime minister is "a grave precedent."
- UK police cut number of officers investigating McCann case Updated: Oct-28-15 11:57 am
LONDON - Scotland Yard is sharply cutting the number of officers looking into the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann to four.