- Netherlands grants Lebanon $92M to cope with refugees Updated: May-03-16 11:41 am
BEIRUT - The Netherlands has granted Lebanon 80 million euros ($92.3 million) until the end of 2017 to help the tiny Arab country cope with hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees.
- Tribunal: India, Italy should agree on Italian marine's bail Updated: May-03-16 10:15 am
NEW DELHI - India and Italy should work toward an agreement to allow an Italian marine to return home while an arbitration process continues in the fatally shootings of two Indian fishermen in 2012, a tribunal said Tuesday.
- Lights out: Philips to launch IPO for lighting division Updated: May-03-16 3:02 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Royal Philips NV announced Tuesday that it is spinning off its iconic lighting division in an initial public offering so it can focus on its future as a health technology provider.
- Italy: Hague tribunal OKs marine's return from India for now Updated: May-02-16 2:59 pm
ROME - An international tribunal in The Hague has decided that an Italian marine being held in India in the shooting deaths of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates can return home for the duration of arbitration, the Italian foreign ministry said Monday.
- Hungary aiming to drive Uber ride-hailing app out of country Updated: May-02-16 10:18 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Hungarian government wants to drive out ride-hailing app Uber from the country while proposing new legislation to crack down on unlicensed passenger transport, officials said Monday.
- Watchdog looks to counter new chemical weapons threats Updated: May-01-16 5:57 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - With about 92 percent of the world's declared chemical weapons stockpiles destroyed, the watchdog agency overseeing the elimination of poison gas and nerve agents is looking now to counter emerging threats from extremist groups while still dealing with unfinished business in Syria.
- Sweden celebrates king's 70th with ABBA's 'Dancing Queen' Updated: Apr-30-16 1:45 pm
STOCKHOLM - Royals from around the world flew in, loyal Swedes lined the streets of Stockholm and the sounds of ABBA's "Dancing Queen" rang out from an army band on Saturday as Sweden celebrated King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th birthday.
- EU in trouble as Eurosceptic parties gain in strength Updated: Apr-28-16 11:50 am
VIENNA - Even before a vehemently anti-EU party won strong support in Austria, the European Union's top official acknowledged that the 28-nation bloc was in trouble.
- Alaska weighing rules to allow use of pot at licensed stores Updated: Apr-27-16 9:59 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska - Some activists have a vision for Alaska's upstart marijuana industry that could have Anchorage looking more like Amsterdam in the years ahead.
- Dutch mark chilly King's Day with music, free markets Updated: Apr-27-16 8:49 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch marked their king's birthday Wednesday with an official celebration in the northeastern city of Zwolle and festivals and unofficial garage sales around the nation.
- France's 'horror dentist' sentenced to 8 years for assault Updated: Apr-26-16 12:47 pm
NEVERS, France - In the space of one hour in March 2012, Sylviane Boulesteix's dentist had wrenched eight front teeth from her mouth and replaced them with ill-fitting dentures. Then, as blood was still flowing from her raw gums, he went for lunch.
- Turkey's Erdogan chases critics at home and abroad Updated: Apr-26-16 7:13 am
ISTANBUL - Ebru Umar was sleeping in her summer residence on Turkey's Aegean coast when police arrived at her door and took her away for questioning about two of her tweets that were deemed offensive to Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Japan's Funai told to pay Philips $152 million compensation Updated: Apr-26-16 5:56 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Royal Philips says an international arbitration panel has ordered Japanese company Funai Electric Co. to pay the Dutch electronics firm 135 million euros ($152 million) compensation over a breach of contract.
- Feyenoord beats Utrecht 2-1 to win Dutch cup final Updated: Apr-24-16 2:39 pm
- Turkish-Dutch journalist detained over Erdogan tweet Updated: Apr-24-16 12:21 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities on Sunday released a Turkish-Dutch journalist from police custody but barred her from leaving Turkey as they continue to investigate tweets she posted about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- FIFA to stage video replay trial workshop next month Updated: Apr-22-16 9:11 am
ZURICH - FIFA says it has invited leagues and federations interested in running video replay trials to inspect the technology next month.
- Indonesian President Joko Widodo visits Netherlands Updated: Apr-22-16 8:01 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Indonesian President Joko Widodo paid an official visit to the Netherlands on Friday aimed at drumming up trade and investment from the country that long was Indonesia's colonial ruler.
- Schlumberger misses 1st-quarter profit forecasts Updated: Apr-21-16 6:40 pm
Schlumberger NV shares slid lower in after-hours trading Thursday after the company posted worse-than-expected results, hurt by the massive drop in energy prices.
- Kenya wants to prosecute its nationals wanted by the ICC Updated: Apr-21-16 3:43 pm
NAIROBI, Kenya - Kenya's government wants three Kenyans wanted by The Hague-based International Criminal Court to be prosecuted locally, the attorney general said Thursday.
- Merkel lauds Turkey in dealing with Syria refugee crisis Updated: Apr-21-16 2:14 pm
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands - Despite increasing discord between the European Union and Turkey, German Chancellor Angela Merkel lauded Ankara's commitment to deal with the Syrian refugee crisis and said her weekend trip to the Turkish-Syrian border will be used to raise all contentious issues between the two sides.
- Dutch intelligence agency warns of violent extremists threat Updated: Apr-21-16 9:04 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch intelligence agency has warned that the Netherlands faces a complex threat from violent extremists returning from Syria, those prevented from travelling to fight overseas, and people radicalized by Jihadi propaganda who may want to carry out attacks at home.
- Ajax beats Heerenveen 2-0 to go back to top of Eredivisie Updated: Apr-20-16 5:31 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Poland striker Arek Milik scored both goals as Ajax beat Heerenveen 2-0 on Wednesday to return to the top of the Eredivisie on goal difference with two matches to go.
- Oil tanker laden with North Dakota crude reaches Netherlands Updated: Apr-20-16 5:01 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - A petroleum tanker laden with 175,000 barrels of North Dakota crude was being offloaded in Europe on Wednesday, the first such overseas shipment of the state's oil since Congress lifted a 40-year ban on crude exports in December.
- Dutch court quashes $50 billion Yukos shareholders' award Updated: Apr-20-16 8:01 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A Dutch court on Wednesday quashed a $50 billion award Russia had been ordered to pay the former majority shareholders of Yukos, a major win for Moscow in the high-stakes dispute over the dismantling of what was once Russia's largest oil producer.
- The Latest: UN Security Council condemns Taliban attack Updated: Apr-19-16 7:57 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Latest on the militant assault on an Afghan government security compound in Kabul (all times local):