- The Latest: Italy breaks up unofficial migrants' tent camp Updated: May-30-16 3:22 pm
POZZALLO, Sicily - The Latest on Europe's migration crisis (all times local):
- Rome student burned alive by ex-boyfriend, police say Updated: May-30-16 2:27 pm
ROME - A Rome university student was burned alive by her ex-boyfriend after she left him, authorities said Monday - a slaying one investigator called the most atrocious crime he has seen in his career.
- Mediterranean shipwreck survivors haunted by cries of kids Updated: May-30-16 10:56 am
POZZALLO, Sicily - It was the cries of children - and the moment they decided they must save themselves - that haunt the survivors of a shipwreck that claimed hundreds of lives.
- Pelle fires Italy to 1-0 win over Scotland in friendly Updated: May-29-16 5:52 pm
VALLETTA, Malta - Italy dominated against Scotland but only scraped a 1-0 win Sunday in its penultimate warmup match before the European Championship, and the Azzurri's wayward shooting will be of concern to coach Antonio Conte.
- Nibali wins 2nd Giro d'Italia title and 4th Grand Tour Updated: May-29-16 12:25 pm
TURIN, Italy - Riding a completely pink bicycle and patting his teammates, home favorite Vincenzo Nibali clinched a second Giro d'Italia victory and a fourth Grand Tour title on Sunday but Giacomo Nizzolo's hopes of a first stage win were again dashed as he was disqualified.
- The Latest: Real Madrid targets more trophies Updated: May-28-16 7:11 pm
MILAN - The Latest on the Champions League final (all times local):
- Sicilian doc hopes baby who lost mom at sea inspires others Updated: May-28-16 5:39 pm
LAMPEDUSA, Sicily - A doctor on a tiny island off Sicily is hoping a 9-month-old Nigerian girl, who lost her mom at sea, will change opinions regarding migrants.
- Italian theater actor, director Giorgio Albertazzi dies Updated: May-28-16 9:19 am
ROME - Giorgio Albertazzi, a theater and film actor and director famed especially for playing, well into old age, the emperor's role based on "Memories of Hadrian," died Saturday in his native Tuscany.
- Italy navy: 135 saved, 45 bodies retrieved from migrant boat Updated: May-27-16 5:28 pm
ROME - The Italian navy says it has saved 135 migrants from a sinking boat and recovered 45 bodies in the Mediterranean.
- Migrant shipwreck survivor says he was under hull, pal died Updated: May-27-16 2:42 pm
SICULIANA, Sicily - A Sudanese man who survived the capsizing of a heavily overcrowded smugglers boat off Libya recounted Friday how the vessel tipped over when fellow migrants heard the voice of approaching rescuers and rushed above deck, leaving hundreds of people foundering in the Mediterranean.
- Defense first as coaches' Serie A roots inspire 'catenaccio' Updated: May-27-16 2:34 pm
MILAN - If recent form is any indication, the San Siro stadium should be a fitting setting for a Champions League final between two defensive-minded teams.
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading Man United Updated: May-27-16 7:40 am
MANCHESTER, England - Manchester United needed a serial winner to restore the team's status as a European powerhouse. Jose Mourinho craved an iconic stage like Old Trafford to remind the world of his rare talent as a coach.
- IU teams with Italian museum on sculpture digitizing project Updated: May-27-16 7:07 am
BLOOMINGTON, Indiana - Indiana University is teaming up with an Italian museum on a project to create 3-D digital models of the museum's large collection of ancient Greek and Roman sculptures.
- Champions League final in Milan highlights Serie A's crisis Updated: May-26-16 10:02 pm
MILAN - AC Milan failed to qualify for Europe for a third straight season and club president Silvio Berlusconi is in negotiations to sell a majority stake in the club to a group of Chinese investors.
- Ancelotti hoping for some stability at Bayern Munich Updated: May-26-16 9:58 am
LONDON - Carlo Ancelotti's next managerial assignment soon begins at Bayern Munich, and he still hasn't mastered German.
- Seeking a new club, Ibrahimovic gives Man United hint Updated: May-26-16 8:35 am
STOCKHOLM - Zlatan Ibrahimovic deliberated, tapped his fingers on the desk in front of him and let out a beaming smile.
- Dutch court allows extremist suspect to be sent to France Updated: May-26-16 8:29 am
AMSTERDAM - A Dutch court on Thursday approved the transfer to France of a 32-year-old Frenchman suspected of crimes including "involvement in a terrorist organization" and illegal weapon possession.
- Indian Supreme Court allows Italian marine to return home Updated: May-26-16 5:15 am
NEW DELHI - India's Supreme Court ruled Thursday that an Italian marine can return home while a U.N. arbitration tribunal decides which nation should have jurisdiction in a case involving the fatal shootings of two Indian fishermen in 2012 in which he and another marine are implicated.
- UK looks into Italian claims that WWII sub has been found Updated: May-25-16 4:44 pm
ROME - Britain's Royal Navy says it's looking into claims by an Italian diver that he located the long-lost wreck of the HMS P311 submarine, which was downed off Sardinia during World War II.
- Bonucci to Balotelli: 'Stop acting like a prima donna' Updated: May-25-16 12:56 pm
FLORENCE, Italy - If Mario Balotelli behaved more like a team player and less like "a prima donna," he might not have been excluded from Italy's squad.
- EU: 2 arrested for suspected spying in Rome Updated: May-25-16 9:17 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's agency for judicial cooperation says a Portuguese national and a Russian have been arrested in Rome on suspicion of being involved in espionage for hire.
- Mihajlovic signs 2-year deal to replace Ventura at Torino Updated: May-25-16 8:18 am
TURIN, Italy - Sinisa Mihajlovic has signed a two-year contract to coach Torino following the departure of Giampiero Ventura.
- Correction: Italy-NATO story Updated: May-25-16 6:38 am
ROME - In a story May 25 on the Italian premier's comments about NATO, The Associated Press reported erroneously that NATO experts will visit Libya. Instead, Libyan experts are to visit NATO.
- Water main break creates sinkhole along Florence's Arno Updated: May-25-16 6:31 am
FLORENCE, Italy - An underground water main break along Florence's picturesque Arno River has created a 200-meter (yard) -long sinkhole that buried dozens of parked cars.
- Italy, Netherlands and Sweden vie for Security Council seat Updated: May-24-16 11:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Italy, the Netherlands and Sweden all made their cases on Tuesday for why they should be elected to a non-permanent seat on the United Nations' most powerful body.