- Police in Italy, Kosovo detain 4 men in terror plot Updated: Dec-01-15 7:28 am
MILAN - Police in Italy and Kosovo detained four Kosovars with Islamic State contacts Tuesday for making threats against the pope and a U.S. diplomat. Authorities said the men were armed and prepared to act.
- Delneri hired to replace Mandorlini at winless Verona Updated: Dec-01-15 7:20 am
VERONA, Italy - Luigi Delneri has been hired to replace Andrea Mandorlini as Hellas Verona coach.
- Shades of Maradona as Higuain leads Napoli to top of Serie A Updated: Nov-30-15 5:42 pm
ROME - Displaying a form at the San Paolo stadium not witnessed since Diego Maradona's exploits, Gonzalo Higuain scored twice in a 2-1 win over 10-man Inter Milan on Monday to provide a big boost for Napoli's title chances.
- La Scala gala season premiere to open under extra security Updated: Nov-30-15 1:41 pm
MILAN - La Scala's gala season premiere of Verdi's "Giovanna d'Arco" ("Joan of Arc") will take place under extra security in the wake of the Paris attacks and indications that the famed Milanese theater is a possible target for extremists.
- The Latest: Pope Francis wraps up Africa trip Updated: Nov-30-15 1:41 pm
BANGUI, Central African Republic - The latest on Pope Francis' first trip to Africa. (All times local.)
- Winless in 14 Serie A matches, Verona fires Mandorlini Updated: Nov-30-15 1:37 pm
VERONA, Italy - Hellas Verona has fired coach Andrea Mandorlini with the club still winless after 14 Serie A matches.
- Germany deals IOC and Bach a message: No thanks, to Olympics Updated: Nov-30-15 1:34 pm
LONDON - Once again, German voters delivered a harsh and sobering message to the Olympic movement: No thanks.
- Italian principal accused of canceling Christmas Updated: Nov-30-15 12:56 pm
MILAN - A public school principal in predominantly Roman Catholic Italy has been accused of canceling Christmas after removing religious songs from the annual holiday pageant.
- Aksel Lund Svindal wins super-G for Lake Louise sweep Updated: Nov-29-15 5:54 pm
LAKE LOUISE, Alberta - Norway's Aksel Lund Svindal won the super-G on Sunday to sweep the two opening World Cup races.
- Fischnaller wins luge WCup opener; Germany takes team relay Updated: Nov-29-15 9:44 am
IGLS, Austria - Italian luger Dominik Fischnaller won the season-opening World Cup race Sunday after first-run leader Felix Loch was disqualified for an equipment irregularity, while Germany dominated the team relay.
- Italy great Dino Zoff hospitalized with viral infection Updated: Nov-28-15 3:49 pm
ROME - Former World Cup-winning goalkeeper Dino Zoff says his condition is improving after three weeks in the hospital for a viral infection.
- Fencing great Valentina Vezzali fails to qualify for Rio Updated: Nov-28-15 2:33 pm
TURIN, Italy - Six-time Olympic champion fencer Valentina Vezzali won't be competing at next year's Rio de Janeiro Games after failing to qualify Saturday.
- Journey to sainthood begins with simple step for priest Updated: Nov-28-15 10:53 am
VILLANOVA, Pennsylvania - While Archbishop Charles Chaput was preparing for the Philadelphia visit of Pope Francis two months ago, he took time to give his blessing to a mission that may make a deceased Delaware County man a saint.
- Roma apologizes to fans for 'embarrassing' loss to Barcelona Updated: Nov-27-15 1:15 pm
ROME - Roma general manager Mauro Baldissoni has apologized to the club's fans for an "embarrassing" 6-1 loss to Barcelona in the Champions League.
- Ferrari hometown overwhelmed by roar of test-driving fans Updated: Nov-27-15 7:00 am
MARANELLO, Italy - In the streets of Maranello, the hometown of Ferrari, the roar of the famed sports car is no longer the occasional bragging right of a proud new owner, but a constant backdrop as a number of test-drive businesses give would-be Schumachers the chance to rev up and peel out.
- Napoli forward Higuain following in Maradona's footsteps Updated: Nov-26-15 6:59 am
MILAN - Napoli forward Gonzalo Higuain will have an added incentive in his side's top-of-the-table clash at home to Inter Milan on Monday.
- Juventus beats Man City 1-0 to join it in knockout stage Updated: Nov-25-15 5:46 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus advanced to the knockout stages of the Champions League and moved above Manchester City into top spot in Group D, with a 1-0 win over the Premier League side on Wednesday.
- Ecclestone has 'no doubts' Monza will remain on F1 calendar Updated: Nov-25-15 9:10 am
MILAN - Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone is confident the Italian Grand Prix in Monza can find the needed cash to stay on the calendar.
- Suspected match-fixer Dan Tan released from Singapore jail Updated: Nov-25-15 8:39 am
SINGAPORE - A Singaporean man detained for more than two years under suspicion of being the mastermind behind a global soccer match-fixing syndicate was ordered to be released Wednesday by the country's highest court, which ruled he was being held unlawfully.
- Francis begins peace pilgrimage to 3 African countries Updated: Nov-25-15 2:15 am
ROME - Pope Francis has begun a pilgrimage to three African nations.
- VP Biden adds stop in Rome, Italy to European trip Updated: Nov-24-15 2:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is adding Rome, Italy to his European trip over the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Hungary scolded for claiming European support for 2024 bid Updated: Nov-24-15 7:29 am
ROME - Europe's Olympic association scolded Hungary on Tuesday for claiming it has secured the backing of 16 European countries for Budapest's bid for the 2024 Games.
- Juventus midfielder Hernanes out for 3 weeks with injury Updated: Nov-23-15 2:43 pm
TURIN, Italy - Juventus midfielder Hernanes will be sidelined for nearly a month with a thigh injury, ruling him out Wednesday's Champions League match at home against Manchester City.
- Artisans completing replica of Ghiberti's famed bronze doors Updated: Nov-23-15 7:53 am
FLORENCE, Italy - A team of artisans on the outskirts of Florence are casting the final panels of a replica of a Renaissance masterpiece: Lorenzo Ghiberti's famed bronze north doors on the Florence Baptistery. The work is in preparation for the doors' installation in place of the original at the end of January.
- Rostelecom Cup Results Updated: Nov-21-15 1:41 pm
MOSCOW - Results Saturday from the Rostelecom Cup stage of the ISU Grand Prix series: