- World Cup winner Luca Toni announces retirement Updated: May-04-16 8:23 am
VERONA, Italy - World Cup winner Luca Toni says he will retire after Sunday's match against Serie A champion Juventus.
- Football fans everywhere embrace Leicester's title success Updated: May-03-16 9:11 pm
LEICESTER, England - The partisanship that usually defines soccer in England seemed to be temporarily set aside as Leicester City's players were acclaimed as the People's Champions.
- Italian navy to resume recovery of boat full of migrant dead Updated: May-03-16 1:05 pm
ROME - Improved sea conditions are permitting the Italian navy to resume a complex operation to recover a sunken fishing boat with the bodies of hundreds of migrants inside.
- 'King Claudio': Ranieri hailed as a hero at home in Italy Updated: May-03-16 11:25 am
ROME - The Italian premier called it "insane." The country's national sports newspaper called him "King Claudio." Even the Vatican newspaper, l'Osservatore Romano, weighed in with a comparison to King Richard III.
- Tribunal: India, Italy should agree on Italian marine's bail Updated: May-03-16 10:15 am
NEW DELHI - India and Italy should work toward an agreement to allow an Italian marine to return home while an arbitration process continues in the fatally shootings of two Indian fishermen in 2012, a tribunal said Tuesday.
- Italian court: homeless man stealing hot dogs did no crime Updated: May-03-16 10:13 am
ROME - Italy's top criminal court has ruled that a hungry homeless man who took a package of hot dogs from a supermarket committed no crime.
- Totti makes another contract statement in Roma win Updated: May-02-16 5:08 pm
ROME - Francesco Totti made another statement to Roma's ownership by scoring a late equalizer in a 3-2 win at Genoa on Monday that kept alive the Giallorossi's hopes of finishing second in Serie A.
- Italy: Hague tribunal OKs marine's return from India for now Updated: May-02-16 2:59 pm
ROME - An international tribunal in The Hague has decided that an Italian marine being held in India in the shooting deaths of two Indian fishermen mistaken for pirates can return home for the duration of arbitration, the Italian foreign ministry said Monday.
- Fiat Chrysler CEO sees future for Alfa Romeo in China Updated: May-02-16 2:14 pm
TURIN, Italy - Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Sergio Marchionne said Monday that the automaker will try to reach full-employment in its Italian plants before the 2018 business plan goal and that the global relaunch of Alfa Romeo will play a key role.
- Ferrari names Fiat Chrysler chief Marchionne as CEO Updated: May-02-16 1:42 pm
MILAN - Sergio Marchionne took full control of super sports carmaker Ferrari NV, adding the CEO title on Monday to that of chairman as he positions the carmaker in the luxury goods space and seeks to regain Formula 1 glory.
- Chinese police patrol in Italy to make tourists feel safer Updated: May-02-16 1:12 pm
ROME - Chinese policemen are in Italy to start patrols with Italian officers in Rome and Milan in a two-week experiment.
- Killing of 5 Egyptians deepens mystery over Italian's death Updated: May-02-16 2:51 am
CAIRO - It was a brutal killing that became an international incident: An Italian graduate student disappeared from the streets of the Egyptian capital in January, his body discovered days later dumped by a roadside, tortured to death.
- Crotone promoted to Serie A for 1st time in its history Updated: Apr-29-16 6:05 pm
MODENA, Italy - Crotone secured promotion to Italy's top flight for the first time in its history Friday, drawing 1-1 at Modena in Serie B to spark scenes of celebration in the Calabrian city.
- At the Vatican, Biden seeks common cause with pope on cancer Updated: Apr-29-16 1:55 pm
VATICAN CITY - Vice President Joe Biden found common cause with Pope Francis on Friday at the Vatican for a global commitment to fund cancer research.
- Scandal-plagued Rome is becoming a 'do it yourself' city Updated: Apr-29-16 10:51 am
ROME - Armed with shovels and sacks of cold asphalt, Rome's residents fill potholes. Defying rats, they yank weeds and bag trash along the Tiber's banks and in urban parks. Tired of waiting years for the city to replace diseased trees, neighbors dig into their own pockets to pay for new ones for their block.
- The Latest: Biden's grand welcome at Italian PM's residence Updated: Apr-29-16 9:24 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- Italy's anti-terror chief: nabbed quartet were 'dangerous' Updated: Apr-29-16 8:05 am
ROME - Italy's top anti-terror prosecutor says four suspects arrested in northern Italy were "very dangerous."
- Italian oil giant Eni swings to 1Q loss Updated: Apr-29-16 3:04 am
MILAN - Italian gas and oil giant Eni says it lost 792 million euros ($901 million) in the first quarter on sharply weaker commodity prices.
- The Latest: Biden leaves Iraq, next stop Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Iraq (all times local):
- Egypt tries to divert eyes to citizen who died in London Updated: Apr-28-16 3:23 pm
CAIRO - Under scrutiny in Europe over its handling of investigations into the torture death of an Italian student in Cairo, Egyptian authorities sought to deflect attention Thursday toward the fate of a British-Egyptian man who died in a London fire.
- Ex-soccer star Weah to run again for president of Liberia Updated: Apr-28-16 3:22 pm
MONROVIA, Liberia - Former world footballer of the year George Weah will make a second bid to become president of Liberia when current leader Ellen Johnson Sirleaf's final term ends next year.
- Italy, Austria make deal to avoid Brenner Pass closure Updated: Apr-28-16 2:09 pm
MILAN - Italy and Austria have reached a deal to avoid closing the heavily trafficked Brenner Pass, an important conduit for tourists and goods transiting Europe, Italy's interior minister said Thursday.
- Prosecutors says IS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 11:43 am
MILAN - Italian police have arrested four suspects in a foreign fighter investigation, including a Moroccan-born man living in Italy who had received Islamic State orders to carry out attacks on Rome during Holy Year, prosecutors said Thursday.
- UN says North Korea food security worsening Updated: Apr-27-16 1:45 pm
MILAN - The U.N. food agency says water scarcity has caused a drop in North Korea's food production for the first time since 2010, threatening to worsen food security in the reclusive nation.
- Sam Mendes to head jury at Venice Film Festival Updated: Apr-27-16 12:18 pm
MILAN - Organizers of the Venice Film Festival say Oscar-winning British director Sam Mendes will head the jury that will choose winners in this year's competition.