- The Latest: European banks take a hammering in markets Updated: Feb-11-16 5:32 am
LONDON - The latest on the turmoil global financial markets (all times local):
- Italy urged Egypt for help hours after student disappeared Updated: Feb-11-16 5:24 am
CAIRO - Italian officials contacted Egyptian authorities hours after a student later found tortured to death disappeared in central Cairo last month, according to an official summary of Italian efforts to locate him.
- Review: 'Zoolander 2' tries a little too hard to up the ante Updated: Feb-10-16 4:05 pm
In case you don't follow the global fashion calendar, Fashion Week has just begun in New York, bringing with it a few nice clothes plus the usual over-the-top weirdness - bizarrely themed runway shows and front-row fashionistas teetering on stilt-like heels, swathed in feathers and smoothed out with dangerous doses of Botox.
- Police arrest over 100 suspected Sicily Mafia clan members Updated: Feb-10-16 4:05 pm
ROME - Prosecutors say police in Italy and abroad have arrested more than 100 suspected Laudani Cosa Nostra members, dealing a heavy blow to the Mafia clan which has terrified businesses in the Catania area on Sicily for years.
- Italians arrest Argentine prelate in swindle scheme Updated: Feb-10-16 1:53 pm
ROME - An Argentine monsignor suspected of being behind a Ponzi scheme swindling investors out of 30 million euros ($34 million) has been put under house arrest in Genoa, Italian financial police said Wednesday.
- Eurozone concerns building again after period of calm Updated: Feb-10-16 11:47 am
LONDON - Slowly but surely, worries over the 19-country eurozone are building again.
- The Latest: Dutch PM: Turkish efforts help stem migrant flow Updated: Feb-10-16 11:20 am
BERLIN - The Latest on the massive influx of migrants into Europe (all times local):
- EU appeals for migrant action as summit looms Updated: Feb-10-16 9:45 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union appealed Wednesday for member countries to step up efforts to manage the refugee crisis, saying they are still reacting far too slowly as thousands continue to arrive.
- 6 founding EU nations commit to the original unity goals Updated: Feb-09-16 5:54 pm
BRUSSELS - The six founding nations of the European Union on Tuesday stressed their commitment to seek an "ever closer union" ahead of next week's summit where Britain is expected to seek a new agreement to help convince a skeptical public to remain part of the EU.
- Italian bank UniCredit earnings drop amid market turmoil Updated: Feb-09-16 8:03 am
MILAN - Italian lender UniCredit says its earnings dropped in the fourth quarter, on a day its shares were being battered amid broad concerns over the country's banking system.
- Obama says the US and Italy are working together in Libya Updated: Feb-08-16 4:20 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Italian President Sergio Mattarella met Monday to discuss efforts to fight the spread of the Islamic State in Libya, where the extremist group is capitalizing on political instability to increase its influence.
- Italy urges Egypt to help find who tortured, killed student Updated: Feb-08-16 1:51 pm
ROME - Italy kept pressure on Egypt Monday to cooperate in finding who tortured and murdered an Italian student doing research in Cairo, insisting it wouldn't accept convenient answers in the case.
- The Latest: Japan mulls sanctions after NKorea launch Updated: Feb-07-16 11:28 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - The Latest on North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket (all times local):
- Napoli and Juventus record narrow wins to remain 1st and 2nd Updated: Feb-07-16 5:00 pm
MILAN - Napoli and Juventus both recorded narrow victories against relegation-threatened sides to remain first and second in Serie A on Sunday ahead of their showdown in Turin next weekend.
- Garcia tops Giorgi to seal France's Fed Cup win over Italy Updated: Feb-07-16 12:18 pm
MARSEILLE, France - Caroline Garcia followed Kristina Mladenovic's earlier win by beating Camila Giorgi 6-3, 6-4 as France clinched a spot in the Fed Cup semifinals on Sunday with a comprehensive 4-1 win against Italy in their first-round tie.
- Italy demands answers as student's body flown in from Cairo Updated: Feb-06-16 12:42 pm
ROME - Italy demanded Saturday that Egyptian authorities swiftly determine who was responsible for the torture and slaying of an Italian doctoral student researching Egyptian labor movements and other social issues in Cairo.
- Heavy security around Stade de France 3 months after attacks Updated: Feb-06-16 10:53 am
PARIS - Despite a marked increase in security checks, a calm and relaxed atmosphere prevailed outside Stade de France as fans arrived for the Six Nations rugby match between France and Italy on Saturday.
- Wind whisperer: US skier Nyman 3rd in Olympic downhill test Updated: Feb-06-16 9:23 am
JEONGSEON, South Korea - Steven Nyman couldn't have picked a better place to post his first podium result of the season: on the downhill course that will be used for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics.
- Italian investigators unraveling mystery of strangled actor Updated: Feb-05-16 2:32 pm
MILAN - Italian authorities are trying to unravel the mystery of an actor who was strangled on a theater stage in Pisa during a hanging scene.
- Italian banks hit by concerns over bad loans Updated: Feb-05-16 12:31 pm
MILAN - Italian banking shares are getting battered this year as the government tries to bundle and dispose of billions of euros in bad loans while attempting to reform and consolidate the ailing sector.
- Italy's Intesa bank profits shrink in fourth quarter Updated: Feb-05-16 8:33 am
MILAN - Italian bank Intesa Sanpaolo reported a 73 percent drop in fourth-quarter profits on lower net interest income and a drop in investment returns.
- US struggling to build anti-Islamic State strategy in Libya Updated: Feb-04-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is struggling to find the right mix of military and diplomatic moves to stop the Islamic State in Libya, where the extremist group has taken advantage of the political chaos in the country to gain a foothold with worrying implications for the U.S. and Europe - particularly Italy, just 300 miles away.
- Montezemolo expresses sadness over Schumacher's health Updated: Feb-04-16 3:09 pm
MILAN - Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo expressed his sadness on Thursday at the condition of Michael Schumacher, two years after the former Formula One champion was seriously injured in a skiing accident.
- Lazio's Curva Nord closed for 2 games for racist chanting Updated: Feb-04-16 12:32 pm
ROME - Lazio's Curva Nord will be closed for two games and the club has been fined 50,000 euros ($55,972) for racist chanting by its fans.
- Martin Caceres out for season after tearing Achilles tendon Updated: Feb-04-16 10:47 am
TURIN, Italy - Juventus defender Martin Caceres will miss the rest of the season after tearing his Achilles tendon.