- From 'Everest' to Depp, highlights of the Venice Film fest Updated: Sep-01-15 3:37 pm
VENICE, Italy - It's a sure sign that summer's over and the awards season is around the corner - the feast of fall film festivals.
- Mayors to talk government and families ahead of papal visit Updated: Sep-01-15 2:58 pm
PHILADELPHIA - The mayors of Rome, New Orleans and Puebla, Mexico are headed to Philadelphia for an event tied to Pope Francis' visit that'll focus on the role of local governments in strengthening and sustaining families.
- Europe's passport free travel area explained Updated: Sep-01-15 10:56 am
BRUSSELS - Desperate to halt the flow of migrants fleeing conflict or poverty, some European countries have begun erecting fences and tightening border controls. But the crackdown, as people leave Greece and Italy to move deeper into the European Union, has raised questions about whether Europe's passport-free area is viable.
- The Latest: Trafficking surges in fake Syrian passports Updated: Sep-01-15 10:10 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The latest developments as tens of thousands of migrants flood into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- European court: Italy failed 3 Tunisian Arab Spring migrants Updated: Sep-01-15 7:49 am
PARIS - The European Court of Human Rights on Tuesday upheld the case of three Tunisians expelled from Italy in 2011 in the wake of the Arab Spring uprising, ruling that the migrants had been subjected to degrading and inhuman treatment during time spent in a detention center, suffered a collective expulsion and could not challenge their forced return home.
- Juventus sign Hernanes and Lemina on transfer deadline day Updated: Aug-31-15 6:26 pm
MILAN - Juventus signed midfielders Hernanes and Mario Lemina on a busy final day of Europe's transfer window for the four-time defending champion, which is off to its worst ever Serie A start.
- Giovinco out of Italy squad with injury, days after recall Updated: Aug-31-15 11:08 am
FLORENCE, Italy - Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco has pulled out of the Italy squad with an injury, two days after he was recalled by coach Antonio Conte following an absence of almost a year.
- Monaco puts money first with Martial expected sale Updated: Aug-31-15 9:02 am
PARIS - Not so long ago, Monaco was splashing cash to lure football's biggest stars. In a complete change of commercial strategy, it is now getting rid of Anthony Martial, one of the brightest young players in French football.
- Italy's Eni finds 'supergiant' natural gas field off Egypt Updated: Aug-30-15 5:49 pm
ROME - The Italian energy company Eni SpA announced Sunday it has discovered a "supergiant" natural gas field off Egypt, describing it as the "largest-ever" found in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Croatia winger Perisic transferred from Wolfsburg to Inter Updated: Aug-30-15 5:15 pm
MILAN - Croatia winger Ivan Perisic has been transferred from Wolfsburg to Inter Milan.
- Pjanic, Dzeko score as Roma beats Juventus 2-1 Updated: Aug-30-15 5:03 pm
ROME - Bosnia internationals Miralem Pjanic and Edin Dzeko scored in the second half as Roma beat bitter title rival Juventus 2-1 Sunday, leaving the Turin power with two straight losses to start Serie A for the first time in its history.
- Giovinco 1 of 9 foreign-based players in Italy squad Updated: Aug-29-15 3:45 pm
MILAN - Antonio Conte recalled Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco to the Italy squad on Saturday for the upcoming European Champions qualifiers against Bulgaria and Malta.
- Europe's migrant crisis brings new death by land and sea Updated: Aug-28-15 4:28 pm
VIENNA - Death and desperation mounted in Europe's migrant crisis Friday as Austrian police said 71 people appeared to have suffocated in the back of an abandoned truck, while an estimated 200 people were feared drowned off Libya when two overloaded boats capsized.
- Vatican gets embroiled in Italy's 'banned books' fray Updated: Aug-28-15 3:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican has gotten embroiled in a modern-day, secular version of the Index of Banned Books.
- Conte: Balotelli must show he 'deserves' an Italy call up Updated: Aug-28-15 1:08 pm
ROME - If Mario Balotelli wants to return to Italy's squad, coach Antonio Conte says he'll have to show that he deserves a spot.
- Sicily detains 10 smugglers in deaths of 52 migrants Updated: Aug-28-15 12:05 pm
ROME - Prosecutors in Sicily detained 10 people on suspicion of smuggling and murder Friday for having allegedly crammed dozens of migrants into the airless hold of a boat where 52 bodies were found this week.
- Mihajlovic already growing tired of questions on Balotelli Updated: Aug-28-15 10:21 am
MILAN - One day after Mario Balotelli's loan back to AC Milan began, Rossoneri coach Sinisa Mihajlovic is already growing tired of questions about the maverick striker.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka has medical with AC Milan Updated: Aug-28-15 8:41 am
MILAN - Slovakia midfielder Juraj Kucka is undergoing a medical with AC Milan ahead of an expected transfer from Genoa.
- CONI calls Dr. Ferrari and son in for doping hearings Updated: Aug-27-15 12:23 pm
ROME - Lance Armstrong's former physician Michele Ferrari and his son Stefano have been called in for hearings next week with the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping prosecutor for allegedly providing illegal drug assistance to a biathlete.
- Juventus visits Roma looking for first Serie A points Updated: Aug-27-15 8:45 am
MILAN - After the shock of losing its opening Serie A match at home for the first time in its history, defending champion Juventus would have been hoping for an easy second match to get it up and running.
- Barcelona heads 32-team draw for Champions League groups Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 pm
GENEVA - The Champions League season takes shape Thursday when UEFA draws 32 elite teams into groups in Monaco.
- UN refugee chief seeks better EU cooperation on migrants Updated: Aug-26-15 4:18 pm
GENEVA - The Europe Union's asylum system is "completely dysfunctional," the head of the U.N. refugee agency said Wednesday, urging the bloc to better coordinate its response to the influx of thousands of refugees fleeing violence in Africa and the Middle East.
- France international Digne joins Roma on loan from PSG Updated: Aug-26-15 1:41 pm
ROME - France international Lucas Digne has joined Roma on loan from Paris Saint-Germain, providing the Serie A challenger with a new option at left back after Ashley Cole struggled last season.
- Italy, Spain, US troopers take part in Romania NATO drill Updated: Aug-26-15 12:52 pm
SMARDAN, Romania - More than 200 paratroopers from Italy, Spain, and the U.S. have participated in a parachute assault at a shooting range in eastern Romania as part of a large exercise to demonstrate NATO's capacity for rapid deployment.