- Brazil's Dunga names Kaka to replace injured Douglas Costa Updated: May-27-16 4:36 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil coach Dunga has called up Orlando City midfielder Kaka to replace Bayern Munich's Douglas Costa, who is out of the Copa America Centenario with an injured left thigh.
- Business events scheduled for the coming month Updated: May-27-16 1:20 pm
Business events and economic reports scheduled for the coming month:
- Netrebko and Beczala are surprise Wagner stars Updated: May-27-16 10:56 am
DRESDEN, Germany - They've lit up the stage together in lyric works by Puccini, Massenet and Tchaikovsky. Now Anna Netrebko and Piotr Beczala are taking on a tougher challenge with their first forays into Wagner.
- NATO: Aegean patrols helping stem migrant tide Updated: May-27-16 7:46 am
ABOARD THE FGS BONN - A multinational NATO maritime force deployed to the Aegean to help stop the smuggling of migrants from Turkey to Greece has aided in reducing the flow into Europe, in a large part by helping to bridge historic animosities between the two countries, the flotilla's commander said.
- The Latest: G-7 wants to close gaps on fighting extremism Updated: May-27-16 1:03 am
ISE, Japan - The latest news on the Group of Seven summit in Japan, where the leaders of the seven advanced economies are meeting for two days (all times local):
- At UN climate talks some worry about Brexit, Trump impacts Updated: May-26-16 4:22 pm
BONN, Germany - Climate negotiators ended their first talks after last year's landmark Paris Agreement on Thursday with some delegates expressing concern about the potential impact of upcoming votes in the U.S. and Britain.
- The Latest: EDF staff join French labor protests Updated: May-26-16 2:08 pm
LE HAVRE, France - The Latest on French labor dispute (all times local):
- German prosecutors: Leak in Chinese student's slaying Updated: May-26-16 1:01 pm
BERLIN - German prosecutors investigating the slaying of a Chinese student whose body was found earlier this month in an eastern town say they are looking into a possible leak.
- Dumitru, coach who escaped communist Romania, dies at 76 Updated: May-26-16 12:37 pm
JOHANNESBURG - Ted Dumitru, the former South African national soccer team coach whose 40-year career took him from communist Romania to Turkey, Germany, the United States and across Africa, died Thursday. He was 76.
- German police probe Britons' 'Hitler salute' at Buchenwald Updated: May-26-16 10:04 am
BERLIN - The head of the Buchenwald Memorial site on Thursday blamed growing right-wing populism in Europe for an incident in which members of a British neo-Nazi group appear to have performed a "Hitler salute" at the former concentration camp.
- Ancelotti hoping for some stability at Bayern Munich Updated: May-26-16 9:58 am
LONDON - Carlo Ancelotti's next managerial assignment soon begins at Bayern Munich, and he still hasn't mastered German.
- What next for Greece? Loan averts crisis but debt still huge Updated: May-25-16 3:51 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - It's all but official: this summer's Greek crisis has been called off.
- The Latest: US diplomat overjoyed at Ukraine pilot's release Updated: May-25-16 2:00 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - The Latest on Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko (all times local):
- Midfielder Xhaka becomes Arsenal's first offseason signing Updated: May-25-16 9:12 am
LONDON - Arsenal began its offseason transfer activity early by signing Switzerland midfielder Granit Xhaka on Wednesday, adding another talented player to the most competitive area of the squad.
- German far-right angry at soccer team's photos on candy bars Updated: May-25-16 9:03 am
BERLIN - Photos of Germany's national soccer team on a popular chocolate bar have prompted online outrage among Germany's far right because they include childhood pictures of some players of migrant origin.
- Darmstadt coach Dirk Schuster asks for release Updated: May-25-16 6:07 am
DARMSTADT, Germany - Darmstadt says coach Dirk Schuster has asked to be released from his contract.
- German index beats expectation in good sign for eurozone Updated: May-25-16 4:30 am
FRANKFURT, Germany - A closely watched index of German business optimism rose more than expected in May, sending a positive signal about the 19-country eurozone economy.
- Sartorius to expand pharmaceutical plant in Puerto Rico Updated: May-24-16 5:50 pm
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico's governor says pharmaceutical supplier Sartorius is investing $50 million to expand its plant in the U.S. territory and convert it to its main logistical hub for the Americas.
- Markets Right Now: Stocks move solidly higher on Wall Street Updated: May-24-16 4:09 pm
NEW YORK - The Latest on developments in global financial markets (all times local):
- UN laments absence of G-7 from key humanitarian summit Updated: May-24-16 1:46 pm
ISTANBUL, Turkey - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday criticized the leaders of the world's wealthiest countries for failing to attend a pivotal humanitarian summit in Turkey which culminated with a long list of commitments and question marks over their implementation.
- Police arrest young couple in Chinese student's slaying Updated: May-24-16 12:24 pm
BERLIN - German police say they have arrested a young couple on suspicion of involvement in the slaying of a Chinese student whose body was found earlier this month in the eastern town of Dessau-Rosslau with severe head injuries.
- Report: European banks to struggle, may need to cut costs Updated: May-24-16 12:04 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - European banks are likely to struggle to make profits in months ahead and may need to cut costs, merge or change their business strategies to return to solid health, the European Central Bank said Tuesday.
- Protesters interrupt coal debate in Swedish Parliament Updated: May-24-16 10:13 am
STOCKHOLM - Unruly protesters briefly interrupted a debate Tuesday in the Swedish Parliament on the future of state-owned utility Vattenfall's coal assets in Germany.
- Leaders of 4 countries discuss settling Ukraine conflict Updated: May-23-16 8:06 pm
MOSCOW - The Kremlin says that the leaders of Russia, France, Germany and Ukraine have spoken by telephone about ways to settle the conflict in eastern Ukraine.
- How would Bayer-Monsanto affect workers, farmers, investors? Updated: May-23-16 5:31 pm
FRANKFURT, Germany - Bayer wants to buy Monsanto for $62 billion, hooking up the German chemical and drug company with the St. Louis-based producer of seeds and weed-killers.