- Putin, Obama discuss Syria political settlement Updated: Nov-30-15 3:33 pm
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Monday that he and President Barack Obama have a shared understanding on how to move toward a political settlement in Syria, but added that incidents like the recent downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet stymie broader cooperation against extremism.
- Turkey won't apologize to Russia over warplane downing Updated: Nov-30-15 3:30 pm
BRUSSELS - Turkey won't apologize to Russia for shooting down a warplane operating over Syria, the Turkish prime minister said Monday, stressing that the military was doing its job defending the country's airspace.
- France carries out strikes on IS in Iraq after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-30-15 3:24 pm
PARIS - France says it has carried out five airstrikes in northern Iraq as part of stepped-up military operations against Islamic State militants.
- World leaders gather to try to save Earth from overheating Updated: Nov-30-15 3:18 pm
LE BOURGET, France - With dramatic vows to save future generations from an overheated planet, the largest gathering ever of world leaders began two weeks of talks Monday aimed at producing the most far-reaching pact yet to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions and avert environmental havoc.
- The Latest: US House leader won't pay for climate deal Updated: Nov-30-15 3:16 pm
PARIS - The latest news from the U.N. climate conference that began Monday in Paris. All times local:
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of defiance' after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-30-15 3:09 pm
LE BOURGET, France - Pushing for a powerful climate deal, President Barack Obama called the global talks opening Monday outside Paris an "act of defiance" against terrorism that proves the world stands undeterred by Islamic State-linked attacks in Europe and beyond.
- House may move quickly to overhaul visa waiver program Updated: Nov-30-15 2:33 pm
WASHINGTON - The House may move quickly to overhaul a program that allows travel to the U.S. with no visa, something that has come under criticism following the Paris terror attacks.
- Germany deals IOC and Bach a message: No thanks, to Olympics Updated: Nov-30-15 1:34 pm
LONDON - Once again, German voters delivered a harsh and sobering message to the Olympic movement: No thanks.
- With leader PSG racing away, fight for 2nd place intensifies Updated: Nov-30-15 11:19 am
PARIS - With unbeaten Paris Saint-Germain 13 points clear at the top and eyeing a 10th straight league win when it plays at Angers on Tuesday, the French title looks increasingly like a one-horse race.
- What it's like to be an American tourist in France now Updated: Nov-30-15 11:12 am
PARIS - For eight of the last 10 years, my husband and I have flown from New York to France for a five-day getaway in late November. Our plans were in place this year long before the Nov. 13 terror attacks in Paris, and we didn't really consider changing them.
- Obama, Putin discuss Syria, Ukraine during climate talks Updated: Nov-30-15 9:46 am
LE BOURGET, France - President Barack Obama urged Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday to decrease tensions with Turkey, as the U.S. and Russian leaders met briefly on the sidelines of global climate talks outside Paris.
- 'Fast and Furious' French trafficker arrested in Bangkok Updated: Nov-30-15 5:34 am
BANGKOK - A French drug trafficker who was part of a notorious international network that authorities say copied tactics from Hollywood's "Fast and Furious" films was arrested in Bangkok, officials said Monday.
- Timeline of key events in UN effort against climate change Updated: Nov-30-15 3:53 am
PARIS - After decades of warnings from scientists that greenhouse gas emissions were warming the planet, governments started coming together in the 1980s to combat the problem. Here's a timeline of key moments in the diplomatic effort to stop global warming, leading up to the U.N. climate conference in Paris:
- Obama, Xi to meet on sidelines of Paris climate conference Updated: Nov-30-15 3:26 am
PARIS - It's a meeting of the world's top two carbon polluters as President Barack Obama and China's leader pull up chairs at the Paris climate conference to discuss efforts to fight global warming.
- Univ. of California joins Bill Gates' clean energy coalition Updated: Nov-29-15 9:02 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The University of California announced Sunday it is joining a coalition led by Microsoft founder Bill Gates that will invest in the research and development of clean energy technology to fight climate change.
- Obama prods world on climate change, faces pushback at home Updated: Nov-29-15 8:52 pm
PARIS - Facing pushback at home, President Barack Obama said Sunday that American leadership was helping make gains in the global fight against climate change as he tried to reassure world leaders assembling for a historic conference in Paris that the U.S. can deliver on its own commitments.
- Obama's first stop in Paris is saddest of destinations Updated: Nov-29-15 8:16 pm
PARIS - At another time, it would have been a glorious tour of Paris by night. But for the saddest of destinations.
- The Latest: Obama visits site of Paris concert attack Updated: Nov-29-15 7:16 pm
PARIS - The latest from the much-anticipated U.N. climate conference that gets underway in Paris on Monday. All times local:
- Bale, Ronaldo ease pressure on Benitez in Madrid win Updated: Nov-29-15 6:19 pm
Real Madrid coach Rafa Benitez got some breathing space Sunday when Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo scored at Eibar to end a two-game losing streak in the Spanish league.
- World War II injury sparks shared history for 2 families Updated: Nov-29-15 6:14 pm
WILSON, North Carolina - A friendship forged in the heat of war has connected two families - one in France and another in North Carolina - across an ocean and through three generations.
- Caen climbs to 2nd in French league Updated: Nov-29-15 5:07 pm
PARIS - Defender Damien Da Silva scored twice as surprise package Caen climbed to second place in the French league with a 4-1 rout of Bordeaux on Sunday.
- Worldwide climate rallies draw hundreds of thousands Updated: Nov-29-15 3:57 pm
PARIS - Hundreds of thousands of people have taken part in rallies around the world on Sunday, calling on leaders to halt climate change on the eve of a major conference in Paris.
- Iran's top leader calls Paris attacks 'blind terrorism' Updated: Nov-29-15 1:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's official news agency is quoting the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, as calling the recent Paris attacks "blind terrorism."
- Earth is a wilder, warmer place since last climate deal made Updated: Nov-29-15 12:24 pm
PARIS - This time, it's a hotter, waterier, wilder Earth that world leaders are trying to save.
- AP Interview: Iraqi envoy: Paris attack marks new global war Updated: Nov-29-15 11:23 am
PARIS - The wave of suicide bombers and gunmen who terrorized Paris marked a new stage in the war against extremism that will leave no country in the world untouched, Iraq's foreign minister said Sunday.