- Pentagon chief predicting 'tangible gains' in Iraq, Syria Updated: Feb-11-16 1:26 pm
BRUSSELS - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter predicted on Thursday that recent U.S.-led efforts to accelerate the fight against the Islamic State group would produce "tangible gains" in Iraq and Syria by March, even as coalition partners pledged to expand and deepen their military contributions.
- 6 founding EU nations commit to the original unity goals Updated: Feb-09-16 5:54 pm
BRUSSELS - The six founding nations of the European Union on Tuesday stressed their commitment to seek an "ever closer union" ahead of next week's summit where Britain is expected to seek a new agreement to help convince a skeptical public to remain part of the EU.
- Belgium to hire 1,000 more police to combat radicalism Updated: Feb-05-16 12:21 pm
BRUSSELS - The Belgian government on Friday approved a sweeping plan to combat Islamic radicalism and the threat of extremist violence by hiring 1,000 new police officers over the next four years.
- Belgium remains 1st FIFA rankings; US stays in 32nd Updated: Feb-04-16 4:09 pm
ZURICH - Belgium has kept the No. 1 spot in the FIFA rankings among an unchanged top 18 for February.
- Brussels proposals to keep Britain in the EU under scrutiny Updated: Feb-02-16 2:27 pm
LONDON - A pivotal "in or out" referendum on Britain's future in the European Union moved one step closer Tuesday as British and European leaders presented new draft proposals aimed at keeping the 28-nation EU intact.
- The Latest: Hungary accepts UK efforts to stop benefit abuse Updated: Feb-02-16 10:17 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest on negotiations on changes to EU law aimed at keeping Britain in the bloc (all times local):
- Belgians, French meet to improve counterterrorism efforts Updated: Feb-01-16 3:27 pm
BRUSSELS - The prime ministers of Belgium and France vowed Monday to reinforce counterterrorism cooperation, with French Premier Manuel Valls warning it is only a matter of time before the next attack by violent extremists against Europeans occurs.
- Bike manufacturer says will sue Belgian rider over motor use Updated: Feb-01-16 8:20 am
PARIS - Italian manufacturer Wilier Triestina says it will sue the Belgian cyclist who used a motor on her bike at the cyclo-cross world championships in the latest scandal to rock the sport.
- EU unveils new proposals to combat sweet tax deals Updated: Jan-28-16 5:59 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union has unveiled new proposals to combat tax evasion by big companies by trying to end sweet deals between member countries and multinationals.
- LA Galaxy acquire defender Jelle Van Damme from Belgian club Updated: Jan-26-16 12:48 pm
CARSON, California - The LA Galaxy have acquired defender Jelle Van Damme from Belgian club Standard Liege.
- Another Belgian charged in Paris attacks probe Updated: Jan-22-16 10:39 am
BRUSSELS - Belgian authorities have announced terrorism charges against another Belgian arrested in the investigation of links to the November attacks that killed 130 people in Paris in November.
- EU orders Belgium to recover $230 million from Duferco steel Updated: Jan-20-16 6:02 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union is ordering Belgium to recoup $230 million from the Duferco steel group because of illegal state aid that distorted competition.
- Cocaine bust in Denmark, 6 arrests in Belgium, Netherlands Updated: Jan-19-16 6:23 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Danish police say a European drug ring is being broken up with 310 kilograms (682 pounds) of cocaine of "unusually high purity" seized in Denmark and six arrests in Belgium and the Netherlands.
- The Latest: Dutch FM calls for EU unity in migrants crisis Updated: Jan-15-16 12:58 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - The latest on the continuing flow of people into and across Europe. All times local:
- EU chief says Europe's reputation hurt over refugee effort Updated: Jan-15-16 9:51 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union's reputation is being tarnished by the failure of member countries to manage the refugee emergency, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker warned Friday.
- Belgians report progress in tracing Paris attackers Updated: Jan-13-16 8:09 am
BRUSSELS - Belgian investigators say they have now identified three homes used by suspects to prepare the deadly attacks in Paris in November, as they piece together the actions of the group which killed 130 people in the French capital on Nov. 13.