- Czechs beat Malta 6-0 in warmup for Euro 2016 Updated: May-27-16 2:05 pm
KUFSTEIN, Austria - The Czech Republic opened its final stage of preparations for the European Championship with a 6-0 victory over Malta on Friday.
- Adam Nemec scores 2 for Slovakia in 3-1 win over Georgia Updated: May-27-16 1:39 pm
WELS, Austria - Adam Nemec struck twice to lead Slovakia to a 3-1 victory over Georgia on Friday in a warmup match for the European Championship.
- Austrian officials ask for ballot probe in presidential vote Updated: May-25-16 10:33 am
VIENNA - Austria's interior ministry has asked the state prosecutor's office to follow up on apparent regional irregularities in the absentee vote count for the country's presidential election.
- Defeated right-wing Austrian president hopeful urges unity Updated: May-24-16 10:59 am
VIENNA - The right-wing candidate who narrowly lost to a left leaning rival in the Austrian presidential election urged his supporters Tuesday to respect the result and show tolerance to those with different political views.
- The Latest: Austrian left-leaning candidate narrowly wins Updated: May-23-16 11:05 am
VIENNA - The Latest on Austria's presidential election (all times local):
- Gunman fires into crowd at concert in Austria, killing 2 Updated: May-22-16 10:24 am
VIENNA - A gunman fired shots early Sunday into a small crowd attending an open air concert organized by a local motorcycle club, killing two people and wounding 11 others before shooting himself to death, police said.
- Europeans warily watching Austria's presidential vote Updated: May-21-16 8:29 am
VIENNA - Austria's presidential election has significance far beyond the small EU nation's borders. In a scenario that was unthinkable just a few years ago, a right-wing, Euroskeptic candidate is favored to become president.
- Austria: Chancellor plans 'New Deal' for dissatisfied voters Updated: May-19-16 2:31 pm
VIENNA - Austria's new chancellor acknowledged Thursday that citizens are fed up with a government they view as standing still, and pledged to offer a "New Deal" in unsparing efforts to meet their expectations.
- Czech captain Tomas Rosicky returns to national team Updated: May-19-16 7:39 am
PRAGUE - Tomas Rosicky returned to the Czech Republic's national team on Thursday after almost a year out with injuries.
- Correction: Armenia-Azerbaijan story Updated: May-18-16 3:01 pm
VIENNA - In a story May 17 about the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, The Associated Press incorrectly reported the size of Nagorno-Karabakh. The region is 4,400 square kilometers (1,700 square miles), not 12,000 square kilometers (4,400 square miles).
- Strootman back in Dutch squad after 2 years of injury misery Updated: May-18-16 10:29 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Kevin Strootman was included in the Netherlands squad Wednesday after more than two years out because of knee injuries.
- Modest goals set in bid to save Syria truce, peace talks Updated: May-17-16 11:33 am
VIENNA - Seeking to salvage and reinforce a shaky truce, world and regional powers agreed Tuesday to try to turn the faltering pause in fighting into a comprehensive cease-fire and boost humanitarian aid deliveries with the hope of restarting peace talks.
- Kerry in Saudi Arabia for talks on Syria, Libya, Yemen Updated: May-15-16 9:20 am
JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday held talks with Saudi Arabia's King Salman about the conflicts in Syria, Libya and Yemen, ahead of international meetings this coming week in Europe on those crises.
- Croats commemorate WWII massacre amid far-right surge Updated: May-14-16 11:49 am
BLEIBURG, Austria - Thousands of far-right supporters, many brandishing insignia and waving flags of Croatia's World War II Ustasha regime, gathered Saturday in a field in southern Austria to commemorate the massacre of pro-Nazis by victorious communists at the end of the war.
- Austria squad contains no new names, 15 Bundesliga players Updated: May-12-16 6:39 am
VIENNA - Austria coach Marcel Koller announced no new names Thursday in his preliminary 24-man squad for next month's European Championship.
- Greek ambassador back in Austria after spat over migrants Updated: May-11-16 11:37 am
VIENNA - The Greek ambassador returned to Austria on Wednesday, formally ending strains that began after the shut-down of the migrant route to central Europe left tens of thousands of people stranded in Greece.
- Austrian court confirms prison terms in match-fixing case Updated: May-11-16 10:55 am
GRAZ, Austria - A regional court has dismissed appeals by former Austria international Sanel Kuljic and seven others against their convictions in the country's biggest match-fixing scandal.
- Eurovision Song Contest struggles to enforce politics ban Updated: May-11-16 10:12 am
STOCKHOLM - You can croon about unrequited love, dance with unbridled passion or dress up in drag. Just keep politics out of it.
- US says diplomats to resume talks on Syria next week Updated: May-10-16 1:20 pm
LONDON - The world powers working to promote a resolution to Syria's civil war plan to resume talks next week in Vienna, with U.N.-led, indirect peace negotiations between Syria's government and opposition representatives expected to follow some days later, Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday.
- Austria's chancellor resigns, in Europe's shift to the right Updated: May-09-16 4:41 pm
VIENNA - Austria's chancellor abruptly resigned Monday, a high-profile victim of Europe's growing shift to the right, which threatens to push into obscurity some parties that have dominated post-World War II politics.
- US Ski Team launches foundation to tackle safety awareness Updated: May-09-16 2:52 pm
The group of young skiers on that tragic day saw only this: A slope that wasn't roped off and blanketed in fresh snow.
- Anarchists clash with police near Austrian border Updated: May-07-16 12:50 pm
MILAN - Dozens of hooded anarchists clashed Saturday with riot police who blocked their approach to the Austrian border during a protest against plans to tighten border controls to prevent the passage of migrants.
- Ennis-Hill out of Hypo Meeting in setback ahead of Olympics Updated: May-06-16 11:58 am
Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis-Hill has pulled out of this month's prestigious Hypo Meeting in Austria, another setback in her buildup to the Rio de Janeiro Games in August.
- Opera: offstage drama rivets Romania, costs minister his job Updated: May-05-16 7:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A compelling drama at Romania's national opera has been drawing huge audiences for weeks. But it's not a production of "The Marriage of Figaro" or "The Barber of Seville" that's grabbing the limelight, it's an offstage dispute between two international ballet stars and Romanian musicians that has already cost a government minister his job.
- The fireman's pole is history - at least in Vienna Updated: May-04-16 8:50 am
VIENNA - The fireman's pole is history - at least in Vienna.