- Chad ex-dictator found guilty, sentence to life for abuses Updated: May-30-16 9:50 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Chad's former dictator Hissene Habre was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment for abuses during his time in power, Judge Gberdao Gustave Kam said Monday at the end of the trial that began in July 2015.
- Ex-environment minister warns of illegal logging in Senegal Updated: May-26-16 12:21 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Illegal timber sales from Senegal to Gambia could see the Casamance forest depleted significantly in the next two years, the former environment minister said Thursday.
- Dakar biennale fuels new life into Africa's contemporary art Updated: May-26-16 11:24 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Videos projected onto massive buildings, pop up art galleries and installations in an old courthouse are features of the Dakar Biennale, Africa's largest contemporary art festival currently enlivening Senegal's capital.
- Extremist attack on health post in Niger kills 6 Updated: May-25-16 1:36 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Doctors Without Borders says an attack by Islamic extremists in Niger's Bosso district has killed at least six people.
- UN: Worsening humanitarian, security situation in Niger Updated: May-24-16 10:54 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The United Nations Refugee Agency says humanitarian conditions are worsening and insecurity is increasing in Niger's southeast Diffa region as thousands displaced by violence are forced to resettle.
- WHO: Zika virus off West Africa coast came from Americas Updated: May-20-16 1:03 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - The Zika virus that is believed to have infected more than 7,500 people in an island nation off the western coast of Africa is the same strain spreading through the Americas, the World Health Organization said Friday.
- Senegal, US sign defense cooperation agreement Updated: May-02-16 7:34 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - The United States and Senegal signed an agreement Monday to ease access for U.S. troops should they need to deploy to the West African nation in the case of a humanitarian or security crisis.