- Mortar attack on UN base in north Mali kills 3, injures 20 Updated: Nov-28-15 2:51 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Mortars lit up the dawn sky when they were fired on a United Nations base in the northern Mali city of Kidal early Saturday, killing at least three people.
- Gambia leader denounces female genital mutilation Updated: Nov-26-15 9:44 am
DAKAR, Senegal - Gambia's president advocated banning female genital mutilation, giving hope to human rights activists who are urging Gambia to adopt a law against the practice.
- Correction: Senegal-Burqa Ban story Updated: Nov-18-15 1:29 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - In a story Nov. 17 about Senegal, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Senegal outlawed the burqa, in fact the government said it is considering a ban on the burqa.
- West Africa conference focuses on threat posed by jihadists Updated: Nov-09-15 4:40 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Islamic extremists are expanding their reach in West Africa, using porous borders and exploiting political chaos to further their attacks, security experts said Monday at the opening of a regional conference on the jihadist threat.
- Senegal: Saloum Delta islands on frontline of climate change Updated: Nov-09-15 10:27 am
DIAMNIADIO ISLAND, Senegal - The place where Fatou Faye's kitchen once stood is now outlined with short branches of mangroves, a small and perhaps futile attempt to prevent the sea from destroying the rest of her house.
- Senegal authorities arrest 7 for suspected extremism ties Updated: Nov-07-15 6:27 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - A Senegalese judge says four imams and three women have been arrested in the West African country for suspected ties to extremism.