- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Updated: Apr-20-16 5:15 pm
ATHENS, Georgia - Georgia has signed forward Pape Diatta (pronounced Pop Dee-ah-tuh), a native of Dakar, Senegal who has played the last two years for the College of Southern Idaho.
- Amnesty Int'l says Republic of Congo airstrikes killed 30 Updated: Apr-18-16 1:24 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - An international rights group says airstrikes in Republic of Congo's southeastern Pool region nearly two weeks ago killed at least 30 people.
- 3 detained Gambia opposition members dead, says UN Updated: Apr-17-16 1:12 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Three Gambian opposition party members have died in detention following a demonstration earlier this week calling for electoral reforms in the tiny West African nation, the United Nations said Sunday.
- Rights group calls on Gambia to investigate activist's death Updated: Apr-16-16 11:57 am
DAKAR, Senegal - A Gambian political activist has died in detention after participating in a peaceful protest, Amnesty International said Saturday, calling for an investigation into the death and the release of others held.
- UN official: More help needed for Africa's Sahel region Updated: Apr-12-16 6:27 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A senior U.N. official on Tuesday said the ongoing poverty and horror resulting from attacks by the extremist Boko Haram group in Africa's Lake Chad basin are at their worst and called for increased relief funding for its 3 million people and broader international engagement in the region.
- Senegal reassures public about ex-Guantanamo detainees Updated: Apr-05-16 4:27 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegal has agreed to take in two former detainees from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility for humanitarian reasons, the West African nation's justice minister said Tuesday, reassuring residents that the two Libyan men are not a threat.
- Senegal takes in 2 Libyan prisoners from Guantanamo Updated: Apr-04-16 2:04 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegal has agreed to take in two Libyans who spent nearly 14 years in custody at the U.S. base in Cuba without charge, becoming the second country in West Africa to accept former detainees, officials said Monday.
- UN investigates Tanzanian peacekeepers in Congo on abuses Updated: Apr-02-16 7:52 am
DAKAR, Senegal - The United Nations mission in Congo says it has received allegations of sexual abuse by Tanzanian peacekeepers based in northeast Congo.
- WHO says new case of Ebola confirmed in Liberia Updated: Apr-01-16 10:57 am
MONROVIA, Liberia - A new case of Ebola has been confirmed in Liberia, the World Health Organization said Friday, a setback for the country which had been declared free from Ebola transmissions in January.