- Attack on UN convoy in Mali kills 6 peacekeepers, wounds 5 Updated: Jul-02-15 6:13 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - Gunmen ambushed a U.N. convoy in conflict-wracked northern Mali on Thursday killing six peacekeepers and wounding five others, the U.N. said. All the victims were from Burkina Faso.
- Ivory Coast names 5 candidates for new coach Updated: Jul-01-15 7:50 am
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Michel Dussuyer and Henry Kasperczak are on the Ivory Coast Football Federation's five-man shortlist for new coach of the African champion.
- UN envoy urges donors to provide 'peace dividend' for Mali Updated: Jun-23-15 2:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. envoy for Mali is urging international donors and financial institutions to quickly authorize funds to provide Malians with water, electricity and schools as a "peace dividend" from the recently signed peace agreement.
- Paris to help Mali put peace accord with Tuaregs in place Updated: Jun-21-15 10:13 am
PARIS - France's defense minister says that Paris will be helping Malians lock into place what he called a "historic" peace accord between northern Tuareg rebels and the government - which means a vast restructuring of the west African country's army.
- Tuareg rebel group signs peace deal with Mali government Updated: Jun-20-15 4:58 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - Mali's main coalition of Tuareg separatist rebels signed a peace agreement with the government Saturday more than a month after other armed groups did so, though critics said the deal still fails to address the impunity now rampant in the north.
- 3rd place: Mali gets 3 late goals, beats Senegal at U20 WCup Updated: Jun-20-15 1:11 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Mali claimed third place at the Under-20 World Cup with a 3-1 win over 10-man Senegal in a dramatic and foul-ridden match on Saturday.
- Dutch govt extends military missions in Iraq, Mali by a year Updated: Jun-19-15 10:34 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch government is extending by a year its contribution to the international coalition fighting the Islamic State terror group in Iraq and to a United Nations peacekeeping force in Mali.
- Serbia advances to under-20 World Cup final vs Brazil Updated: Jun-17-15 7:33 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Serbia reached its first Under-20 World Cup final as an independent nation after beating 10-man Mali 2-1 after extra time at North Harbour Stadium on Wednesday.
- Brazil to meet Serbia in Under-20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-17-15 6:38 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Brazil beat Senegal 5-0 to join Serbia in the final of the Under-20 World Cup and to bury the nascent suspicion football's great expressionists had embarked on a new, more sober course on Wednesday.
- French president in Algeria discusses terrorism, economy Updated: Jun-15-15 1:39 pm
ALGIERS, Algeria - French President Francois Hollande made a seven-hour visit to Algeria on Monday for talks on security issues, calling the fight against terrorism a "common battle."
- Mali, Senegal prepare for U20 World Cup semifinals Updated: Jun-14-15 11:50 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand - Mali may have lost to Serbia in the group stage of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, but the African team has no fear of a rematch in the semifinals.
- Mali, Senegal lead African charge at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 4:44 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - African countries captured two semifinal places at the Under-20 World Cup on Sunday as Mali and Senegal kept up their surprising run in the tournament.
- Mali beat Germany 4-3 on penalties at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 3:23 am
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand - Mali produced one of the shocks of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup coming from behind to beat tournament favorites Germany 4-3 on penalties and advance to the semifinals.
- Enticing matchups set for round of 16 at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-07-15 10:20 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The group stage of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup produced a number of major surprises, goals galore and an equal number of enticing matchups in the round of 16 starting on Wednesday.