- Several people killed in attack on UN base in Mali Updated: Feb-12-16 6:42 am
BAMAKO, Mali - An official says militants have attacked a United Nations base in northern Mali, killing at least three people and injuring 30 others.
- Senegal fears extremism amid imam arrests, regional attacks Updated: Feb-08-16 9:59 am
KAOLACK, Senegal - Dozens of armed security forces descended on the Quranic school at night, arresting an imam suspected of having links to Islamic extremists in Nigeria.
- Congo claims African Nations title, beats Mali 3-0 Updated: Feb-07-16 4:06 pm
KIGALI, Rwanda - Congo won the African Nations Championship title by convincingly beating Mali 3-0 in the final in Rwanda on Sunday.
- Malian Tuaregs returning home face violence in Timbuktu Updated: Feb-06-16 10:07 am
TIMBUKTU, Mali - Charred timbers are all that remain of a dozen Tuareg homes burned down last week in Mali's northern city of Timbuktu by a mob angry after reports of a gun attack on Malian security forces nearby.
- Jimmy Carter hopeful for Guinea worm eradication in Africa Updated: Feb-03-16 7:31 am
JUBA, South Sudan - Former US President Jimmy Carter says that Guinea worm disease may soon be eradicated, which would be the most exciting accomplishment of his career, although progress is hampered by ongoing conflict in Mali and South Sudan.
- North Africa al-Qaida group posts video of kidnapped Swiss Updated: Jan-27-16 6:17 am
DAKAR, Senegal - An organization that monitors jihadi sites says al-Qaida's North Africa branch has released video of Swiss woman abducted recently in Timbuktu.
- Senegal police question 900 in heightened security measures Updated: Jan-26-16 2:52 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegalese police have questioned about 900 people in two regions in the West African nation as part of heightened security operations after recent attacks in Burkina Faso and neighboring Mali, a justice official said Tuesday.
- AP EXPLAINS: Islamic extremists step up attacks in Africa Updated: Jan-22-16 12:32 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - The number of deadly attacks by Islamic extremists is mounting across Africa, raising questions about the resurgence of armed groups once seen to be in decline. Here is a brief description of the attacks and an explanation of who was behind them and what is driving the surge.
- West Africa braces for more attacks after Burkina Faso siege Updated: Jan-20-16 2:13 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - At the entrance to the King Fahd Palace hotel in Dakar, security guards inspect the trunks of every taxi at the gate, long before the vehicles get anywhere near the building itself.
- Mali court indicts 2 for luxury hotel attack in capital Updated: Jan-13-16 9:31 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Two men have been indicted on charges of complicity in terrorism for the attack on a luxury hotel in Mali's capital in November that killed 20 people, the prosecutor said Wednesday.
- ICC pretrial hearing postponed in Timbuktu destruction case Updated: Jan-13-16 8:46 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - A judge at the International Criminal Court has postponed a crucial pretrial hearing for an alleged Islamic radical charged with involvement in the 2012 destruction of historic mausoleums and a mosque in Timbuktu.