- 7 suspected in Mali attacks arrested in Ivory Coast Updated: Sep-03-15 9:44 am
BAMAKO, Mali - Authorities say at least seven jihadis accused of attacking the Malian military in the country's south have been arrested in neighboring Ivory Coast.
- Toure missing as Ivory Coast launches African title defense Updated: Sep-03-15 6:26 am
CAPE TOWN, South Africa - Ivory Coast begins the defense of its African title this weekend without Yaya Toure after the team captain asked not to be selected while he considers his international future.
- Spain to hand over US-Belgian arrested over blood diamonds Updated: Aug-31-15 6:34 am
MADRID - An American-Belgian businessman arrested for suspected involvement in enslavement and pillaging blood diamonds during Sierra Leone's civil war will be handed over shortly to Belgium, a Spanish court official said Monday.
- Yaya Toure opts out of Ivory Coast squad, future unclear Updated: Aug-28-15 3:05 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Yaya Toure asked not to be included in Ivory Coast's squad for its first 2017 African Cup of Nations qualifier and coach Michel Dussuyer says the midfielder is in a "period of reflection" over his international career.
- Pint-size thieves frighten Ivory Coast's largest city Updated: Aug-23-15 11:19 am
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast taxi driver Mamadou Bamba had finished his shift and was walking home around midnight when a dozen children accosted him on the street and demanded his money. When he hesitated, the thieves pulled out small knives and stabbed him eight times before making off with fares totaling more than $100.
- Google expands low-cost phone program in 6 African countries Updated: Aug-18-15 7:50 pm
MOUNTAIN VIEW, California - Google is introducing a low-priced smartphone in six African countries where most people still can't afford an Internet-connected device.
- Notorious extremist said to head al-Qaida West Africa branch Updated: Aug-15-15 5:55 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - A militant group that has claimed responsibility for recent violence in Mali has rebranded itself as al-Qaida's West Africa branch while reaffirming that it is led by the notorious extremist Moktar Belmoktar.
- Guinea: Riot police break up rally for ex-military leader Updated: Aug-15-15 4:59 pm
CONAKRY, Guinea - Riot police in Guinea used tear gas to break up a rally on Saturday demanding the return of a former military ruler who wants to run for president despite facing charges related to a 2009 massacre.
- Ivory Coast's president submits candidacy for 2015 elections Updated: Aug-05-15 3:40 pm
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast's president submitted his candidacy on Wednesday for October elections that many hope will remain peaceful after postelection violence during the last polls left the country in crisis.