- Senegal fears extremism amid imam arrests, regional attacks Updated: Feb-08-16 9:59 am
KAOLACK, Senegal - Dozens of armed security forces descended on the Quranic school at night, arresting an imam suspected of having links to Islamic extremists in Nigeria.
- Australian released by jihadists arrives in Burkina Faso Updated: Feb-08-16 6:29 am
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - An Australian woman who was freed by her al-Qaida captors after several weeks said Monday that she hopes her husband who remains a hostage will soon be released as well so they can continue their charity work in the West African country.
- Militants free Australian woman kidnapped in Burkina Faso Updated: Feb-06-16 5:50 pm
NIAMEY, Niger - A spokesman for Niger's president says an Australian woman kidnapped last month in northern Burkina Faso has been freed.
- Widow of slain American missionary headed back to Africa Updated: Feb-05-16 7:11 pm
HOLLYWOOD, Florida - The widow of an American missionary said Friday that she believes it is God's plan for her to return to the African country where al-Qaida fighters killed her husband last month, and she has no hesitation about doing so.
- Senegal police question 900 in heightened security measures Updated: Jan-26-16 2:52 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Senegalese police have questioned about 900 people in two regions in the West African nation as part of heightened security operations after recent attacks in Burkina Faso and neighboring Mali, a justice official said Tuesday.
- Burkina Faso: 1 suspect still on the run after armory raid Updated: Jan-25-16 9:05 am
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - Burkina Faso's army says one suspect remains on the loose following an armory raid last week that officials believe was carried out by members of a disbanded unit loyal to the former president.
- Burials begin for Burkina Faso nationals killed by jihadists Updated: Jan-23-16 6:47 pm
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - Burials have begun for the 10 Burkina Faso nationals killed in last week's attack on a cafe and hotel in the capital, Ouagadougou, highlighting the local toll suffered in the latest West African country targeted by Islamic extremists.
- AP EXPLAINS: Islamic extremists step up attacks in Africa Updated: Jan-22-16 12:32 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - The number of deadly attacks by Islamic extremists is mounting across Africa, raising questions about the resurgence of armed groups once seen to be in decline. Here is a brief description of the attacks and an explanation of who was behind them and what is driving the surge.
- West Africa braces for more attacks after Burkina Faso siege Updated: Jan-20-16 2:13 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - At the entrance to the King Fahd Palace hotel in Dakar, security guards inspect the trunks of every taxi at the gate, long before the vehicles get anywhere near the building itself.
- French PM says 6 attacked Burkina Faso hotel, 3 on loose Updated: Jan-20-16 8:14 am
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - France's prime minister said three attackers remain at large Wednesday following the attacks in Burkina Faso's capital, though authorities there insist that all those who carried out the assault had been shot dead.
- Children of Australians abducted in Africa plea to captors Updated: Jan-19-16 1:08 am
CANBERRA, Australia - The family of an Australian doctor and his wife abducted in Burkina Faso urged the kidnappers on Tuesday to release the couple so that they can continue their life-saving charity work in the West African country.
- Classes closed where Quebecois killed in Burkina Faso worked Updated: Jan-18-16 10:56 am
QUEBEC CITY - Classes were canceled Monday at two Quebec City area schools where some of the six Canadians killed in the attack in Burkina Faso over the weekend used to work.
- Survivors recall narrow escape from Burkina Faso attack Updated: Jan-17-16 5:24 pm
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - As al-Qaida fighters attacked the cafe where he worked, Clement Djiguende was saved by chance: A jihadist who had been firing at patrons simply ran out of bullets.
- 4 members of Ukrainian family among dead in Burkina Faso Updated: Jan-17-16 3:49 pm
MOSCOW - Four members of a Ukrainian family, including a 9-year-old child, were among those killed when al-Qaida fighters attacked a popular cafe and hotel in Burkina Faso's capital of Ouagadougou, Ukraine's foreign minister said Sunday.
- Italy: Fate of 9-year-old Italian boy in cafe attack unclear Updated: Jan-17-16 7:59 am
ROME - Italy says it is trying to learn the fate of a 9-year-old boy who was in the cafe attacked by al-Qaida-linked extremists in Burkina Faso.
- Pope prays for victims of attacks in Burkina Faso, Indonesia Updated: Jan-17-16 6:51 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is praying for the victims of attacks by extremists in Burkina Faso and Indonesia.
- Dutch volunteer among the dead in Burkina Faso hotel attack Updated: Jan-17-16 4:14 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The Dutch foreign minister says a 67-year-old Dutch man is among those killed when al-Qaida fighters attacked a popular cafe and hotel in Burkina Faso's capital of Ouagadougou.
- American missionary among dead in Burkina Faso hotel attack Updated: Jan-16-16 11:56 pm
NEW YORK - The mother-in-law of an American missionary confirmed Saturday that he was among those killed after al-Qaida fighters attacked a hotel and cafe in Burkina Faso's capital of Ouagadougou.
- The Latest: Italian bishop says Burkina Faso is worried Updated: Jan-16-16 1:50 pm
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - The latest developments in the assault of a hotel by al-Qaida-linked gunmen in Burkina Faso's capital. All times are local:
- Burkina Faso issues warrant against Ivory Coast lawmaker Updated: Jan-15-16 11:59 am
OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - Burkina Faso's military tribunal has issued an arrest warrant for Ivory Coast's parliamentary speaker for his alleged role in a short-lived coup in September, an official said Friday.