- AP Interview: Secret project wins Chinese scientist a Nobel Updated: Oct-07-15 8:40 pm
BEIJING - The time could not have been more hostile for Chinese scientists. Research came to a virtual halt and intellectuals were routinely persecuted. But Tu Youyou, then a 39-year-old researcher, was summoned to join a secretive military project during the Cultural Revolution to find a cure for malaria for soldiers in North Vietnam.
- Vietnam seems big winner in US-anchored Pacific trade deal Updated: Oct-07-15 7:56 am
HONG KONG - An ambitious Pacific Rim trade deal anchored by the U.S. promises to boost the economies of its 12 participating countries by opening their markets to one another, but not all the gains will be spread evenly.
- Vietnam leader: China island work violates international law Updated: Sep-28-15 2:28 pm
NEW YORK - Vietnam's president told The Associated Press on Monday that China's island-building in the disputed South China Sea violates international law and endangers maritime security.
- Vietnamese refugees reach out to Syrians fleeing by boat Updated: Sep-24-15 5:45 pm
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, California - When Jonathan Huynh heard the haunting story of two young Syrian boys and their mother fleeing their country and drowning when their small rubber boat capsized on its way to Greece, he saw himself.
- Vietnam frees blogger, US call for more releases Updated: Sep-21-15 12:26 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam has freed a high-profile blogger who has traveled to the United States, which is pressing for more such dissidents to be released.
- CIA declassifies trove of Cold War-era intelligence memos Updated: Sep-16-15 6:54 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - As the U.S. and Russia reached the brink of nuclear war in 1962, President John F. Kennedy received top-secret intelligence from the CIA that a new warhead launcher was spotted in Cuba.
- Japan to step up help for Vietnamese maritime security Updated: Sep-15-15 10:05 am
TOKYO - Japan said Tuesday it will give Vietnam used boats and other equipment to improve its maritime security capabilities as China asserts its territorial claims in regional seas.
- Vietnam calls for stepped-up reforms and corruption fight Updated: Sep-15-15 12:15 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam's ruling Communist Party has called for reforms and a stepped-up fight against corruption as it prepares for an upcoming party congress.