- Malaysia deports 32 Taiwanese to China, draws protest Updated: May-01-16 12:27 am
BEIJING - Taiwanese officials have protested Malaysia's deportation of 32 of the self-ruled island's nationals to China to face wire fraud charges.
- Navy commander sentenced to 78 months in bribery scandal Updated: Apr-29-16 5:48 pm
SAN DIEGO - A Navy commander who fled Cambodia's killing fields as a boy to grow up to become a decorated U.S. military officer was sentenced Friday to 78 months in prison for providing classified ship schedules in exchange for the services of prostitutes, theater tickets and other gifts from a Malaysian defense contractor.
- After hostage beheading, is Philippines facing IS threat? Updated: Apr-28-16 9:11 am
MANILA, Philippines - Months before Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded retired Canadian mining executive John Ridsdel in the tropical jungles of the southern Philippines, they showed him pleading for life in a video with three other hostages that demanded a record-high ransom.
- Indonesia to hold regional talks after kidnappings at sea Updated: Apr-26-16 6:52 am
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia's president said Tuesday that his government will host talks with Malaysia and the Philippines this week to boost maritime security following the kidnappings at sea of Indonesians by suspected Abu Sayyaf militants.
- Malaysia Airlines CEO to leave job long before contract ends Updated: Apr-19-16 11:26 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia Airlines said Tuesday its CEO, Christoph Mueller, will leave his job in September, way ahead of the end of his three-year contract, due to "changing personal circumstances."
- UAE fund says Malaysian fund, ministry default on over $1.1B Updated: Apr-18-16 9:49 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A government-backed investment fund in the United Arab Emirates said Monday that heavily indebted Malaysian investment fund 1MDB and the southeast Asian country's finance ministry have defaulted on more than $1.1 billion they owe.
- China criticizes Taiwan for releasing fraud suspects Updated: Apr-17-16 9:14 am
BEIJING - A Chinese spokesman criticized Taiwan after the self-ruled island released 20 fraud suspects just one day after they were deported from Malaysia, citing a lack of evidence.
- 4 Indonesians kidnapped by pirates; vessels safe in Malaysia Updated: Apr-15-16 10:38 pm
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Four Indonesians have been kidnapped and another shot in an attempt to hijack a tugboat and barge in the border waters of Malaysia and the Philippines, the Indonesian Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Malaysia decides not to send Taiwanese suspects to China Updated: Apr-15-16 10:12 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Malaysia deported 20 Taiwanese criminal suspects to Taiwan on Friday despite Beijing's request that they be sent to China, amid an ongoing battle over jurisdiction involving the self-ruled island. A Malaysia official said another 32 Taiwanese suspects sought by China also will be sent to Taiwan.
- Saudi confirms 'genuine' $681M donation to Malaysian PM Updated: Apr-15-16 8:17 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Saudi Arabia has for the first time publicly confirmed Malaysia's claim that $681 million in Prime Minister Najib Razak's bank accounts was a donation from the Saudi royal family, countering accusations that the money was siphoned from heavily indebted state investment fund 1MDB.
- Swiss expand probe of suspected Malaysia fund embezzlement Updated: Apr-12-16 8:08 am
GENEVA - The Swiss attorney general's office says it has expanded a probe into suspected embezzlement of a Malaysian state investment fund to investigate two former Emirati officials.
- Australia, Japan in Group B for Asian World Cup qualifying Updated: Apr-12-16 6:51 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Asian Cup champion Australia and Japan have been grouped together in the last round of Asian qualifying for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Indonesia among 4 countries hoping to host 2023 Asian Cup Updated: Apr-12-16 4:36 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Indonesia is bidding to host the 2023 Asian Cup despite being under a FIFA-imposed ban from international competition because of government interference in the running of the national football federation.
- Board of troubled Malaysia fund offers to resign Updated: Apr-07-16 8:28 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Heavily indebted Malaysian state investment fund 1MDB said Thursday its entire board of directors has offered to resign after a parliamentary inquiry found a massive unexplained payment and called for a police probe of the fund's former head.
- CEO says Malaysia Airlines has first monthly profit in years Updated: Apr-06-16 6:39 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The chief executive of Malaysia Airlines said Wednesday that the carrier recorded a profit in February, its first positive monthly result in years, and is on track to return to the black by 2018.
- Debris in Mauritius to be examined by MH370 investigators Updated: Apr-03-16 5:48 am
SYDNEY - A piece of debris found on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius will be examined by investigators to see if it came from missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, Australian officials said Sunday.