- Sri Lanka suspends 2 lawmakers over fistfight in parliament Updated: May-05-16 6:56 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's Parliament on Thursday suspended two lawmakers for one week for getting into a fistfight that left several people injured earlier this week.
- Review: In Paris-set 'Dheepan,' a timely refugee thriller Updated: May-04-16 5:50 pm
NEW YORK - French director Jacques Audiard is a curious combination of art-house auteur and genre filmmaker, a brazen showman and gritty naturalist. He makes tender and brutal movies that recast themselves as they twist their way toward unpredictable finales. To suit tales of transformation (his specialty), he switches genres mid-movie like a character changing wardrobe.
- Sri Lankan court: Right to information bill needs two-thirds Updated: May-03-16 11:58 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's highest court has declared that parts of a right to information bill contravene the constitution and it will need a two-thirds majority in Parliament to become law, the speaker announced Tuesday.
- Lawmakers injured in fisticuffs inside Sri Lanka parliament Updated: May-03-16 10:42 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Several lawmakers were injured in fisticuffs inside Sri Lanka's Parliament on Tuesday after a protest over the removal of military security for former President Mahinda Rajapakasa. One lawmaker was hospitalized.
- Sri Lankan protest demands new probe of journalist's killing Updated: Apr-29-16 8:41 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Hundreds of journalists and media rights activists protested on Friday to demand Sri Lanka's new government start a fresh investigation into the abduction and killing of a prominent ethnic Tamil journalist 11 years ago, during the country's civil war.
- Bangladesh says 20 foreigners involved in theft from NY Fed Updated: Apr-18-16 9:59 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh investigators have determined that at least 20 foreigners were involved in the cybertheft of $101 million from the Bangladesh central bank's account in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, a senior investigator said Monday.
- Maldives revokes medical leave for former president Updated: Apr-18-16 9:17 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The Maldives government has revoked an extension of the medical leave given to the country's jailed former president and he is expected to return to prison soon, an official said Monday.
- Global expert to leader UNL's Water for Food Institute Updated: Apr-17-16 5:30 pm
LINCOLN, Nebraska - An internationally known expert on water, food and environmental research will serve as the next leader of the University of Nebraska's Robert B. Daugherty Water for Food Institute.