- Pakistani supporters hold prayers for slain Taliban chief Updated: May-27-16 8:10 am
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - Supporters of the slain Taliban chief have held funeral prayers across Pakistan for Mullah Akhtar Mansour, killed in a U.S. drone attack last week.
- Little-known extremist cleric chosen to lead Afghan Taliban Updated: May-25-16 2:28 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - A little-known extremist cleric was chosen Wednesday to be the new leader of the Afghan Taliban, just days after a U.S. drone strike killed his predecessor.
- Pakistan army tells US it is concerned over drone strike Updated: May-25-16 4:26 am
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's military says the country's army chief met with U.S. Ambassador David Hale to express Islamabad's serious concerns over the drone strike that killed the former Taliban leader.
- Gunmen kill 3 paramilitary forces in northwest Pakistan Updated: May-25-16 1:10 am
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - A senior police officer says gunmen riding on motorcycles have ambushed a vehicle carrying paramilitary forces in northwest Pakistan, killing three of them before fleeing.
- New report says health facilities attacked in 19 countries Updated: May-23-16 8:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Deliberate or indiscriminate attacks have decimated health facilities, killed medical workers and patients, and deprived countless civilians of care in 19 countries during 2015 and the first three months of 2016, a coalition of more than 30 health and humanitarian organizations said in a new report released Monday.
- Iran and India sign port deal, other economic agreements Updated: May-23-16 3:30 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - India said Monday it will invest up to $500 million in a deal to develop a strategic port in Iran and both countries planned a number of projects they say are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- The Latest: Pakistan informed of drone hit on Taliban leader Updated: May-22-16 1:16 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Latest on the killing of Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Akhtar Mansour in a drone strike (all times local):
- Mansour's brief reign as chief marked by turmoil Updated: May-22-16 11:16 am
ISLAMABAD - Mullah Mohammed Akhtar Mansour's brief rule, which ended with his death in a drone strike, was marked by mistrust and strife.
- Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour Updated: May-21-16 9:30 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. targeted Taliban leader Mullah Mansour in an airstrike Saturday near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, the Defense Department said, and a U.S. official said Mansour was believed to have been killed.
- In Pakistan, 4 nations mull how to bring Taliban to talks Updated: May-18-16 11:20 am
ISLAMABAD - Four nations - Pakistan, Afghanistan, China and the United States - ended talks Wednesday much as they began, seeking peace in Afghanistan but with no real progress on how to get there or how to bring the most powerful of the country's insurgent groups, the Taliban, to the negotiating table.
- AP Exclusive: Peace deal expected with armed Afghan group Updated: May-14-16 2:04 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan is expected to finalize a peace deal with a notorious militant group in the coming days, in what could be a template for ending the 15-year war with the Taliban, a government official and a representative of the militant group said Saturday.
- Rescued son of Pakistan's ex-PM flown home to his family Updated: May-11-16 8:53 am
LAHORE, Pakistan - The son of a former Pakistani prime minister who was freed from kidnappers in a dramatic military rescue in Afghanistan was flown back home Wednesday and reunited with family, officials and family members said.
- Home Minister: Bangladesh executes leader of Islamist party Updated: May-10-16 11:55 pm
DHAKA, Bangladesh - The head of Bangladesh's largest Islamist party was executed early Wednesday for his role in acts of genocide and war crimes during the country's independence war against Pakistan in 1971, a senior government official said.
- Bomb at southwestern Pakistan university parking lot kills 2 Updated: May-10-16 6:47 am
QUETTA, Pakistan - A provincial official says a bomb has exploded in the parking area of a state-run university in southwestern Pakistan, killing two police officers and wounding five people.
- Afghanistan faces tough battle as Haqqanis unify the Taliban Updated: May-07-16 2:42 pm
ISLAMABAD - A shadowy, Pakistan-based militant faction is on the rise within the Taliban after its leader was appointed deputy and played a key role in unifying the fractured insurgency.
- Labour's Sadiq Khan elected 1st Muslim London mayor Updated: May-06-16 7:55 pm
LONDON - Sadiq Khan became London's first Muslim mayor Saturday, as voters rejected attempts to taint him with links to extremism and handed a decisive victory to the bus driver's son from south London.
- Pakistan treating 2 brothers who become paralyzed each night Updated: May-06-16 7:27 am
ISLAMABAD - The two brothers have come to be known as the "solar kids" and their case has completely mystified Pakistani doctors.
- Taliban threats force Afghan boy, fan of Messi, into exile Updated: May-03-16 8:46 am
KABUL, Afghanistan - The family of a 5-year-old Afghan boy who received autographed shirts from his soccer hero Lionel Messi was forced to leave Afghanistan amid constant telephone threats and a menacing Taliban letter, the boy's father said Tuesday.
- Bangladesh war crimes court sentences 4 to death Updated: May-03-16 8:15 am
NEW DELHI - A special war crimes court in Bangladesh sentenced four men to death Tuesday for killing, torture, arson and looting during the nation's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- Ancient Buddhist sculpture returned to Pakistani government Updated: Apr-28-16 3:01 am
NEW YORK - An ancient stone sculpture of Buddha's footprints that was smuggled into the United States and had been expected to sell for more than $1 million was returned to the government of Pakistan on Wednesday.
- US targets 11 countries for lax copyright protection Updated: Apr-27-16 9:35 am
WASHINGTON - China, Russia and India are among 11 countries targeted by the Obama administration for leaving American producers of music, movies and other copyrighted material open to rampant piracy.