- Maldives police break up opposition protest for a 2nd day Updated: Nov-28-15 10:55 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Police in the Maldives dispersed opposition protesters for a second straight day Saturday, using tear gas and pepper spray and arresting more than a dozen demonstrators demanding the release of a former president and other jailed political leaders.
- Maldives sacks public prosecutor for refusing to charge VP Updated: Nov-10-15 11:53 pm
MALE, Maldives - The political crisis in the Maldives has deepened with lawmakers voting to fire the country's chief public prosecutor after he refused to press corruption charges against the country's sacked vice president.
- Maldives president revokes state of emergency early Updated: Nov-10-15 3:20 pm
MALE, Maldives - The president of the Maldives on Tuesday revoked a state of emergency after less than a week, following widespread international condemnation and concerns about its impact on the country's crucial tourism industry, the government said.
- Maldives says state of emergency may be lifted early Updated: Nov-09-15 7:38 am
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - The foreign minister of the Maldives said Monday that a monthlong state of emergency declared by the president last week may be lifted early.
- Maldives impeaches VP accused of plotting to kill president Updated: Nov-05-15 1:37 pm
MALE, Maldives - Maldives' Parliament voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to impeach the country's vice president, who will be charged with terrorism for plotting to kill the president, a minister said.
- After bomb report, Maldives president vows to ensure safety Updated: Nov-03-15 6:50 am
MALE, Maldives - The president of the Maldives said Tuesday he would take all steps to ensure the safety of his people, a day after an explosive device was found near his official residence.