- The Latest: G-7 wants to close gaps on fighting extremism Updated: May-27-16 1:03 am
ISE, Japan - The latest news on the Group of Seven summit in Japan, where the leaders of the seven advanced economies are meeting for two days (all times local):
- Bangladesh avoids high death toll with cyclone evacuation Updated: May-23-16 3:07 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Tens of thousands of Bangladeshis returned Monday to wind-battered villages and rain-soaked fields after a strong storm pummeled the coast and killed at least 26 people over the weekend.
- Police: Doctor hacked to death, friend wounded in Bangladesh Updated: May-21-16 2:53 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A doctor was hacked to death and his friend critically wounded by men wielding machetes in western Bangladesh, police said, in the latest attack on the country's atheist bloggers, minorities and others who promote liberal views.
- 4 suspects arrested in Bangladesh professor's killing Updated: May-17-16 10:37 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police have arrested four members of a banned militant group, including a regional commander, suspected in the killing last month of a university professor in northwestern Bangladesh, officials said Tuesday.
- Bangladesh police arrest suspect in killing of gay activist Updated: May-15-16 6:24 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - Police in Bangladesh said Sunday that they have arrested a suspected Muslim militant for his alleged involvement in the killing last month of a gay rights activist and his friend in the capital.
- 64 killed by lightning across Bangladesh, reports say Updated: May-14-16 9:08 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - More than 60 people have been killed by lightning over the past two days during tropical storms across Bangladesh, local media said Saturday.
- Bangladesh police say Buddhist monk killed in monastery Updated: May-14-16 8:21 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A 75-year-old Buddhist monk has been killed in a monastery in southeastern Bangladesh, police said Saturday.
- Turkey's Erdogan decries execution of Bangladeshi Islamist Updated: May-12-16 6:19 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's president strongly condemned the execution of an Islamist party leader in Bangladesh.
- Home Minister: Bangladesh executes leader of Islamist party Updated: May-10-16 11:55 pm
DHAKA, Bangladesh - The head of Bangladesh's largest Islamist party was executed early Wednesday for his role in acts of genocide and war crimes during the country's independence war against Pakistan in 1971, a senior government official said.
- Bangladesh professor under 24-hour armed guard after threats Updated: May-06-16 3:57 am
NEW DELHI - After a Dhaka University professor asked a woman to remove her veil during his class, Muslim extremists called for his death, posting his personal details online along with tips on how to kill. Today, he remains under constant guard by armed police, stays mostly at home and bars his front door.
- Lawsuit over Bangladesh garment factory collapse dismissed Updated: May-05-16 5:56 pm
DOVER, Delaware - A Delaware judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against three major U.S. clothing retailers after the 2013 collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh that killed more than 1,100 people.
- Bangladesh blogger seeks US help as threats escalate Updated: May-03-16 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - When Bangladeshi blogger and social activist Ashif Entaz Rabi hosted a TV talk show about a slaying of a publisher by Islamic extremists, he faced a torrent of threatening phone calls. He says young men with earpieces started loitering outside his workplace, and a militant website urged followers to "send this Ashif to Allah."
- Singapore detains 8 Bangladeshis suspected of IS group links Updated: May-03-16 10:46 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore has detained eight Bangladeshi workers on suspicion of planning attacks linked to the Islamic State group in their home country, authorities said Tuesday
- Bangladesh war crimes court sentences 4 to death Updated: May-03-16 8:15 am
NEW DELHI - A special war crimes court in Bangladesh sentenced four men to death Tuesday for killing, torture, arson and looting during the nation's independence war against Pakistan in 1971.
- 3 detained in Bangladesh after stabbing death of Hindu man Updated: May-01-16 8:47 am
NEW DELHI - Police in Bangladesh detained three men Sunday, including the head of an Islamic school, in connection with the stabbing death of a Hindu tailor in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.
- Police: Older son said he killed father in California Updated: Apr-29-16 9:55 pm
SAN JOSE, California - The older of two sons charged with murdering their parents at their home in California said he shot his father multiple times, but he did not shoot his mother, according to police.
- The Latest: Police: Older son confessed to killing father Updated: Apr-29-16 6:15 pm
SAN JOSE, California - The Latest on the arrest of two sons in the shooting deaths of their parents in California. (all times local):
- New killings in Bangladesh leave LGBT community full of fear Updated: Apr-28-16 11:36 am
NEW DELHI - The killing of two gay rights activists in the Bangladeshi capital has driven the country's already secretive and small gay community underground, wondering if they can trust a government that considers their status to be criminal, rights groups said.
- Slain husband and wife lauded for their kindness Updated: Apr-27-16 1:25 pm
SAN JOSE, California - A husband and wife who emigrated from Bangladesh 30 years ago and were found slain in their California home last weekend are being remembered for their kindness.
- Bangladesh jails 2 Hindu teachers for insulting Islam Updated: Apr-27-16 2:34 am
DHAKA, Bangladesh - A court has jailed two teachers in southern Bangladesh for making derogatory comments about Islam and the Prophet Muhammad, invoking a rare law from the British colonial era that makes insulting any religion a crime.