- UN leader offers assistance in Guyana-Venezuela dispute Updated: Jul-03-15 4:08 pm
BRIDGETOWN, Barbados - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday offered assistance to resolve an escalating border dispute between Guyana and Venezuela.
- Spain to ask Venezuela to extradite wanted ETA member Updated: Jul-03-15 9:43 am
MADRID - The Spanish government says it will ask Venezuela to extradite a convicted member of the armed Basque group ETA.
- US senator ends visit to Venezuela, urges moderation Updated: Jul-02-15 4:22 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - The chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee wrapped up a trip to crisis-plagued Venezuela by warning the country is on a "destructive path" that could result in more suffering unless the socialist government adopts more moderate policies before congressional elections.
- Jailed Venezuelan politician gaining weight after strike Updated: Jul-01-15 3:40 pm
MADRID - The wife of jailed Venezuelan politician Leopoldo Lopez says he has gained four kilograms (nine pounds) since he ended a 30-day hunger strike a week ago.
- US senator on visit to Venezuela amid diplomatic detente Updated: Jun-30-15 5:55 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The Republican chairman of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee is making a surprise visit to Venezuela amid a U.S. effort to reduce tensions with the South American nation.
- Venezuelan struggling socialists hold legislative primaries Updated: Jun-29-15 9:39 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Members of Venezuela's ruling socialist party selected candidates to compete in December's legislative elections that the opposition is favored to win amid a punishing economic crisis that is eroding support for President Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuela frees 2 opposition activists from jail Updated: Jun-24-15 2:46 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Venezuelan authorities have freed two student activists arrested during last year's anti-government protests.
- Venezuela sets date for elections after mounting pressure Updated: Jun-22-15 5:16 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela will hold legislative elections Dec. 6, election officials announced Monday after months of mounting pressure from local opposition groups and international observers.
- Maradona's road to FIFA presidency filled with obstacles Updated: Jun-22-15 3:05 pm
If Diego Maradona is serious about running for the FIFA presidency, he still has a lot of work to do just to get on the ballot.
- Messi vs. James again - now in Copa America quarterfinals Updated: Jun-22-15 2:36 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi and James Rodriguez are about to meet again. They've left their clubs behind - Barcelona and Real Madrid - and this time Messi is wearing Argentina's blue and white and Rodriguez the red, blue and yellow of Colombia.
- Without Neymar, Brazil beats Venezuela 2-1 to reach last 8 Updated: Jun-21-15 10:08 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Playing without suspended star Neymar, Brazil defeated Venezuela 2-1 Sunday in its final group game to reach the Copa America quarterfinals.
- Peru defeats 10-man Venezuela 1-0 on Claudio Pizarro goal Updated: Jun-18-15 11:26 pm
VALPARAISO, Chile - A 72nd-minute goal by veteran striker Claudio Pizarro gave Peru a 1-0 victory over 10-man Venezuela on Thursday, leaving the four teams of Group C in the Copa America exactly even going into the last games of the round-robin stage.
- Brazilian senators fail to meet with Venezuela opposition Updated: Jun-18-15 10:55 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Brazilian senators flew into Venezuela on Thursday to try to meet with jailed opposition leaders, but they barely made it past the airport, leading Brazil's government to complain about hostile acts against its lawmakers.
- Neymar sent off as Colombia beats Brazil 1-0 in Copa America Updated: Jun-18-15 12:21 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Taking advantage of a bad night by Neymar, Colombia defeated Brazil 1-0 in the Copa America on Wednesday, keeping its quarterfinal hopes alive in the South American tournament.
- Signs of rapprochement as US, Venezuelan officials meet Updated: Jun-16-15 5:47 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - President Nicolas Maduro says a recent meeting between Venezuelan and U.S. officials has opened an important channel that could lead toward restoration of full diplomatic relations.
- Colombia starts Copa America with loss 1-0 to Venezuela Updated: Jun-14-15 8:24 pm
RANCAGUA, Chile - Colombia got off to a disappointing start in the Copa America on Sunday, losing 1-0 to Venezuela in the first game for each team in the South American championship.
- Guyana to seek UN help to end border dispute with Venezuela Updated: Jun-13-15 6:34 pm
GEORGETOWN, Guyana - Guyana's government says it plans to formally ask the United Nations to intervene and help resolve an escalating border dispute with neighboring Venezuela.
- Professors flee, higher education suffers in Venezuela Updated: Jun-11-15 8:44 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela has already lost many of its brightest young professionals to better-paying jobs abroad, and now the South American country is also losing the professors who trained them.
- Jailed Venezuela leader skips court, citing hunger strike Updated: Jun-10-15 9:36 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Jailed Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez is refusing to attend his court dates, citing his deteriorating health due to 17 days of fasting.
- Venezuelans find ways to venture out at night Updated: Jun-09-15 9:37 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - In one of the most dangerous cities in the world, there is strength in numbers.
- Spain ex-premier arrives in Caracas to help jailed leaders Updated: Jun-07-15 9:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A former Spanish prime minister has arrived in Venezuela, where he intends to help lawyers defending imprisoned opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez and Caracas mayor Antonio Ledezma, who is under house arrest.
- Jailed mayors' hunger strike rallies Venezuelan opposition Updated: Jun-04-15 5:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A hunger strike by two high-profile imprisoned politicians is generating excitement among members of a Venezuelan opposition that has seemed mostly disengaged since 2014's fiery protests.