- Venezuela extends border closure despite Colombia's protests Updated: Aug-28-15 8:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on Friday broadened a crackdown on Colombian migrants and border smugglers that has drawn strong rebuke by Colombian leaders and international organizations.
- Colombia, Venezuela recall ambassadors amid dispute Updated: Aug-27-15 10:01 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - Venezuela and Colombia each recalled their ambassadors for consultations on Thursday amid a dispute over the closing of a major border crossing and a weeklong crackdown on Colombian migrants and smugglers.
- Mexico advances to International title game at LLWS Updated: Aug-27-15 6:27 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Left-hander Daniel Zaragoza gave up only three hits and doubled home a pair of runs Thursday, leading Mexicali Baja California, Mexico, to an 11-0 victory over Barquisimeto, Venezuela, and a berth in the International championship game at the Little League World Series.
- Japan beats Venezuela, reaches LLWS bracket title game Updated: Aug-26-15 7:05 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Tokyo got down to its final strike before tying it in the bottom of the sixth inning with a single, then rallied again to overcame a two-run deficit in the eighth for a 5-4 victory over Venezuela on Wednesday and a berth in the International bracket title game at the Little League World Series.
- Venezuela seeks to deport some 800 Colombians in border row Updated: Aug-23-15 10:51 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan security forces have rounded up hundreds of Colombians for deportation as part of a security offensive along the countries' shared border.
- Venezuela advances past Uganda 7-0 in LLWS Updated: Aug-23-15 1:26 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Luis Castillo pitched a one-hit shutout and also hit a two-run home run as Venezuela beat Uganda 7-0 on Sunday to advance to the International winner's bracket final at the Little League World Series.
- Cuban doctors fleeing Venezuela protest for US visas Updated: Aug-22-15 4:59 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - About 100 Cuban doctors who deserted a medical mission in Venezuela and have been stranded for months in Colombia seeking entry into the U.S. staged a protest Saturday to draw attention to their plight.
- Fernandez homers, Venezuela beats Australia 5-2 in LLWS Updated: Aug-21-15 3:39 pm
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pennsylvania - Yeiner Fernandez hit a three-run home run in the top of the sixth inning as Venezuela opened its Little League World Series with a 5-2 victory over Australia on Friday.
- Grisly killing becomes political battleground in Venezuela Updated: Aug-19-15 5:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The grisly slaying of a woman has become yet another political flashpoint in hyper-polarized Venezuela, with supporters and opponents of the country's socialist administration each saying the killers were working for the other side.
- Venezuela's telenovelas struggle back from the brink Updated: Aug-18-15 12:02 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - A worker on the set strikes the clapperboard to the shout of "Action!" and three women launch into a heated argument about an abandoned child who was rescued from the streets but cannot be tamed of her violent impulses.
- Venezuela frees 2nd prominent opponent in just over 24 hours Updated: Aug-13-15 6:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A former Venezuelan defense minister turned staunch government critic was freed from prison early Thursday, making him the second prominent opposition leader to be let go in a little more than 24 hours.
- American lawyer slain, companion wounded in Venezuela home Updated: Aug-10-15 11:22 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A prominent American expatriate lawyer was slain and his companion was wounded in an attack at their home in the Venezuelan capital, authorities and family members said Monday.
- Venezuelan opposition stages march against hunger Updated: Aug-08-15 5:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Critics of Venezuela's socialist administration staged a small protest against hunger and crime in Caracas Saturday as the South American country struggles to control violence in food lines.
- Venezuela investigating CNN for mistaken looting report Updated: Aug-07-15 9:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's socialist government is opening an investigation against CNN en Espanol, accusing the network of inciting violence with a mistaken report about looting in the country's interior.
- Venezuela's top beer scarce amid heat wave Updated: Aug-07-15 7:14 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelans are facing the prospect of a heat wave without their favorite beer, the latest indignity in a country that has seen shortages of everything from disposable diapers to light bulbs.
- The politics of time: why countries switch time zones Updated: Aug-07-15 10:16 am
North Korean officials announced Friday that the country is creating its own time zone, moving back 30 minutes on Aug. 15. The establishment of "Pyongyang time" is a political move intended to erase the legacy of Japanese colonial rule a century ago. Before that, the entire Korean peninsula was 8½ hours ahead of GMT, the time that North Korea will now revert to.
- Ex-President Carter shuts down electoral office in Venezuela Updated: Aug-05-15 10:52 pm
BOGOTA, Colombia - A pro-democracy foundation run by former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has shut down its 13-year-old electoral observation office in Venezuela as the South American country gears up for closely watched legislative elections.
- Venezuela ruling party games Twitter for political gain Updated: Aug-04-15 3:43 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's approval ratings may be languishing below 30 percent, but on Twitter he's as popular as Pope Francis - or so it would seem.
- Venezuela governor: 1 killed during supermarket looting Updated: Jul-31-15 8:38 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - A man was killed and dozens were arrested Friday as a mob looted a supermarket and other shops in an industrial Venezuelan city, Bolivar state authorities said.
- Currency crisis has Venezuelans struggling to call abroad Updated: Jul-31-15 12:04 am
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelans are struggling to call abroad as telephone carriers fall behind on payments to international partners amid a currency crisis that is leaving the country increasingly cut off from the rest of the world.
- Venezuela occupies food warehouse of biggest private company Updated: Jul-30-15 8:49 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's largest food distributor on Thursday denounced the government occupation of a Caracas warehouse amid accusations that the company is hoarding goods.