- Venezuela opposition delivers petitions to remove president Updated: May-02-16 3:28 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's opposition says it has given electoral authorities petitions signed by 1.8 million voters seeking President Nicolas Maduro's removal in a nationwide referendum.
- Correction: Venezuela-Minimum Wage story Updated: May-01-16 10:04 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - In a story April 30 about (topic), The Associated Press reported erroneously that the black market value of the new wage is about $50. The black market value is about $13.50.
- Top Venezuela beer maker halts production amid shortages Updated: Apr-29-16 6:04 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's largest brewer said it shut down beer production Friday at the last of its four factories due to a shortage of imported supplies.
- Venezuela congress votes to censure food czar amid shortages Updated: Apr-28-16 8:08 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's opposition-controlled congress voted Thursday to censure the country's food minister amid widespread shortages.
- Protests as Venezuela embraces 2-day workweek to save power Updated: Apr-27-16 6:02 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan cities cleaned up from a night of looting and fiery protests Wednesday as government offices closed their doors for the rest of the week in the face of a worsening energy crisis that is causing daily blackouts.
- Venezuelan power rationing begins amid protests Updated: Apr-25-16 10:33 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - As if daily life in Venezuela wasn't hard enough, people across the crisis-wracked South American country will now have to add electricity to the long list of things they'll have to do without.
- Venezuela court blocks bid to cut short president's term Updated: Apr-25-16 10:08 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's supreme court has struck down an attempt by the opposition to cut short President Nicolas Maduros' term in office, ruling that a proposed constitutional amendment to that effect cannot be applied retroactively.
- US men's basketball set for 5-game pre-Olympic schedule Updated: Apr-25-16 12:36 pm
The U.S. Olympic men's basketball team will face Argentina and three other opponents during a five-game, five-city exhibition tour leading up to the Summer Games.
- Venezuela prosecutors arrest 2 named in 'Panama Papers' leak Updated: Apr-21-16 6:54 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan prosecutors have charged two relatives of a former presidential security guard whose name appeared in documents about offshore investments leaked from a Panama law firm.
- Venezuela to cut electricity for 4 hours daily amid crisis Updated: Apr-21-16 5:23 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's government says it will turn off electricity nationwide for four hours each day, formalizing the blackouts that people have already been experiencing during a worsening energy crisis.
- Cuckoo clocks? Venezuela shifting time hoping to save energy Updated: Apr-14-16 7:16 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's government is changing the clock again as part of its efforts to stave off an electricity crisis.
- The Latest: Investigators visit Panama law firm's offices Updated: Apr-11-16 9:06 pm
LONDON - The Latest on the publication by a coalition of media outlets of an investigation into offshore financial dealings by the rich and famous (all times local):
- Venezuela's high court rejects amnesty law for opposition Updated: Apr-11-16 8:48 pm
CARCAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's Supreme Court on Monday declared unconstitutional legislation passed by the opposition-controlled congress to free dozens of jailed politicians who are foes of President Nicolas Maduro's socialist government.
- Venezuela's cellphone providers suspend international calls Updated: Apr-11-16 1:27 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuela's two main cellphone service providers are suspending long distance calling as the South American country struggles to pay its bills.
- Spain recalls Venezuela ambassador over Maduro insults Updated: Apr-08-16 11:09 am
MADRID - Spain is recalling its ambassador to Venezuela for consultations over what it said were "intolerable insults" made by Venezuela's president against Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy.
- Venezuela's Maduro rejects law to free opposition activists Updated: Apr-07-16 7:50 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has vetoed legislation that would give amnesty to activists the opposition considers political prisoners.