- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- US treasury secretary blames Congress for debt limit delays Updated: Oct-08-15 9:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - U.S. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew admonished Congress on Thursday for not moving fast enough to raise the government borrowing limit at a time of heightened fragility in the global economy.
- Latin America rolls out red carpet for once-scorned IMF Updated: Oct-08-15 5:17 pm
LIMA, Peru - The last time the IMF held its annual meetings in Latin America, Ernesto "Che" Guevara was trying to spread Cuba's revolution throughout the hemisphere and much of the region was under the thumb of repressive dictatorships.
- IMF Chief: We're cooked if we fail on climate change Updated: Oct-07-15 11:28 pm
LIMA, Peru - International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde said Wednesday that failure to take urgent action on global warming will condemn humanity to the same fate as the Peruvian poultry that so many delegates to the group's annual meeting are enjoying this week in a country famed for its cuisine.
- IMF sees recession for Latin America on commodities shock Updated: Oct-07-15 6:21 pm
LIMA, Peru - Latin America's economy is likely to go into recession this year for the first time since the end of the global financial crisis as China's slowdown lessens demand for the region's commodities, threatening to undo recent progress in reducing poverty, the International Monetary Fund said Wednesday.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- IMF: Up to $3 trillion in over-borrowing in emerging markets Updated: Oct-07-15 12:19 pm
LIMA, Peru - The International Monetary Fund says the biggest risks to the global economy are now in emerging markets, where private companies have racked up considerable debt amid a fifth straight year of slowing growth.
- At 'home' in Peru, World Bank chief unfazed by slower growth Updated: Oct-07-15 8:38 am
CARABAYLLO, Peru - In the 1990s, Jim Yong Kim would climb the dusty streets and hillsides of this sprawling slum outside Peru's capital distributing expensive pharmaceutical drugs he'd brought hidden in his luggage to tuberculosis patients. Residents recall the Harvard-trained physician as a smiling do-gooder with basic Spanish and shoes permanently caked with dust.
- IMF downgrades forecast for world, emerging market economies Updated: Oct-06-15 12:51 pm
LIMA, Peru - China's slowdown and tumbling commodity prices will push global economic growth this year to the lowest level since the recession year 2009, the International Monetary Fund predicted Tuesday.
- Peru suspends civil liberties after anti-mining clash Updated: Sep-29-15 7:13 pm
LIMA, Peru - Peru's government suspended civil liberties Tuesday and mobilized the military in a highlands region after four people were killed and 22 injured in a clash between police and farmers over a Chinese-owned copper mining project.
- Police arrest Peruvian after 6 people found slain in Japan Updated: Sep-17-15 8:43 am
TOKYO - A man who threw himself out a second-story window as police pursued him is being investigated in the slayings of three people inside the house and three more this week in the neighborhood near Tokyo, police said Thursday.
- 12-year-old girl killed by dynamite attack in Peru's capital Updated: Sep-16-15 6:17 pm
LIMA, Peru - Police in Peru say a 12-year-old girl was killed by the blast of a dynamite stick thrown into her first-floor bedroom in a poor Lima neighborhood.
- Exhibit's CT-scanned mummies give new look at old world Updated: Sep-13-15 12:13 pm
LOS ANGELES - Ever wonder what's really underneath that 5,000-year-old mummy's elaborate wrapping? There will be a rare chance to find out when "Mummies: New Secrets From the Tombs" opens Sept. 18 at Los Angeles' Natural History Museum.
- Former Peru dictator charged with kidnapping Updated: Sep-10-15 5:59 pm
LIMA, Peru - A Peruvian judge has ordered former military dictator Francisco Morales Bermudez to stand trial on kidnapping charges for the 1978 abduction of 13 opponents he allegedly ordered flown to Argentina on a military plane.
- Peruvian marathon winner in Toronto stripped of medal Updated: Sep-09-15 11:56 pm
LIMA, Peru - Peru's Olympic Committee says marathon runner Gladys Tejeda has been stripped of the gold medal she won in Toronto in July in the Pan American Games because of doping.