- The Latest: Pope makes surprise foray outside his residence Updated: Jul-05-15 9:44 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Here are the latest developments from Pope Francis' trip to South America:
- Pope Francis on home turf urges defense of poor and planet Updated: Jul-05-15 9:16 pm
QUITO, Ecuador - Latin America's first pope returned to Spanish-speaking South America for the first time Sunday, stressing the need to protect the poor and the environment from exploitation and to foster dialogue among all sectors of society.
- AP Exclusive: CONMEBOL head says 'we need total change' Updated: Jul-04-15 4:59 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - CONMEBOL needs "total and absolute change," president Juan Angel Napout said on Saturday after it became engulfed in the FIFA corruption scandal.
- Peru beats Paraguay 2-0 to finish 3rd in Copa America Updated: Jul-03-15 10:02 pm
CONCEPCION, Chile - Andre Carrillo and Paolo Guerrero each scored second-half goals to help Peru defeat Paraguay 2-0 in the third-place game at the Copa America on Friday.
- Pope brings 'church for the poor' to South America's poorest Updated: Jul-02-15 8:19 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is taking his "church for the poor" to three of South America's poorest and most peripheral countries, making a grueling, week-long trip that will showcase the pope at his unpredictable best: speaking his native Spanish on his home turf about issues closest to his heart.
- Argentina routs Paraguay 6-1, reaches Copa America final Updated: Jun-30-15 11:21 pm
CONCEPCION, Chile - Lionel Messi helped set up five goals as Argentina trounced Paraguay 6-1 in the Copa America semifinals on Tuesday, setting up a final against host Chile.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Paraguayan bishop ousted by pope scrutinized for spending Updated: Jun-28-15 3:22 am
CIUDAD DEL ESTE, Paraguay - Children awaiting surgery and women fleeing domestic violence never saw the $350,000 donated for their benefit. Then, there were the questionable property sales and the money for a cleaning business partially owned by a relative.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- Paraguay revokes immunity for soccer headquarters Updated: Jun-25-15 4:05 pm
ASUNCION, Paraguay - Paraguay's president has signed a law repealing the immunity that the headquarters of South America's soccer confederation enjoyed for nearly two decades.
- Messi vs. James again - now in Copa America quarterfinals Updated: Jun-22-15 2:36 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Lionel Messi and James Rodriguez are about to meet again. They've left their clubs behind - Barcelona and Real Madrid - and this time Messi is wearing Argentina's blue and white and Rodriguez the red, blue and yellow of Colombia.
- Paraguay, Uruguay draw 1-1 and advance to Copa quarters Updated: Jun-20-15 5:33 pm
LA SERENA, Chile - Defending champion Uruguay and Paraguay drew 1-1 in their last group game and both advanced to the Copa America quarterfinals on Saturday.
- Paraguay defeats Jamaica 1-0 after goalkeeping error Updated: Jun-16-15 7:30 pm
ANTOFAGASTA, Chile - Paraguay defeated Jamaica 1-0 Tuesday in a lackluster Group B match in the Copa America, giving the South Americans four points from its first two matches.
- Growing pains in Paraguay as economy modernizes Updated: Jun-16-15 12:07 am
CIUDAD DEL ESTE, Paraguay - Verna Fragadas stands with her arms crossed in front of Friendship Bridge, which separates this gritty, bustling Paraguayan city from Brazil and nearby Argentina.