- Brazil loses without Neymar; Argentina falls with no Messi Updated: Oct-08-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil showed Thursday it can't win against the best without Barcelona star Neymar, losing 2-0 at Chile as qualifying in South America opened for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
- Declassified US docs reveal Pinochet ordered killing in US Updated: Oct-08-15 9:34 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Newly declassified U.S. intelligence documents that came to light Thursday reveal that Gen. Augusto Pinochet directly ordered the 1976 assassination of a Chilean diplomat in Washington.
- No Messi, Neymar, Suarez and Rodriguez as qualifying opens Updated: Oct-07-15 3:48 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez and James Rodriguez will all be missing when 2018 World Cup qualifying gets underway in South America on Thursday.
- US, Chile declare new marine reserves, fight overfishing Updated: Oct-05-15 12:30 pm
VALPARAISO, Chile - President Barack Obama declared new marine sanctuaries in Lake Michigan and the tidal waters of Maryland on Monday, while Chile blocked off more than 200,000 square miles of the Pacific Ocean near the world-famous Easter Island from commercial fishing and oil and gas exploration.
- Brazil court freezes almost $50 million in Neymar assets Updated: Sep-25-15 6:19 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian court has frozen assets of Barcelona star Neymar, his family and related businesses valued at 188.8 million Brazilian reals ($48 million).
- American David Haggerty elected to head world tennis body Updated: Sep-25-15 4:12 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - American David Haggerty has been elected to a four-year term as the president of the International Tennis Federation.
- No more marathons: Davis Cup votes for 5th-set tiebreaker Updated: Sep-25-15 12:43 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Davis Cup will use fifth-set tiebreakers beginning next year.
- UN court rules that it can hear Bolivia-Chile case Updated: Sep-24-15 3:36 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The United Nations' highest court ruled Thursday that it has jurisdiction to hear a case on giving access to the Pacific Ocean for land-locked Bolivia.
- Davis Cup: 2015 finalists get home draws in 2016 Updated: Sep-24-15 3:04 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - This year's Davis Cup finalists Britain and Belgium have been handed home draws in the first round of the 2016 competition.
- Small waves reach Japan after Chile quake, no injuries Updated: Sep-18-15 1:41 am
TOKYO - Small tsunami waves reached the Japanese coast Friday morning, one day after a magnitude 8.3 earthquake struck offshore Chile.
- Chile confronts major quake with fortified buildings, alerts Updated: Sep-17-15 10:02 pm
COQUIMBO, Chile - Parts of this port city were a disaster zone Thursday after an 8.3-magnitude quake hit off the coast, killing at least 12 people and likely causing billions in damage. Overturned cars and splintered boats sat in mud next to furniture, toppled adobe homes and fishing nets tangled in trees.
- The Latest: Tsunami advisory for California is canceled Updated: Sep-17-15 7:34 pm
HONOLULU - The latest on tsunami advisories that were issued for Hawaii and parts of California after a powerful earthquake off Chile (all times local):
- Entire California coast sees slight surge as tsunami arrives Updated: Sep-17-15 4:20 pm
LOS ANGELES - A slight ocean surge and powerful currents were reported at points along the entire coast of California as a very small tsunami arrived early Thursday following a magnitude-8.3 earthquake that hit off the coast of Chile, scientists and local officials said.
- Tsunami advisory for Hawaii, California after Chile quake Updated: Sep-17-15 3:08 am
HONOLULU - Hawaii and part of California's coast are under tsunami advisories after an 8.3-magnitude earthquake off the coast of north Chile.
- New Zealand issues tsunami warning after quake hits Chile Updated: Sep-16-15 10:54 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A magnitude-8.3 quake that struck off the coast of Chile Wednesday night was powerful enough that authorities 9,600 kilometers (6,000 miles) away in New Zealand have warned residents that a tsunami could hit parts of the country.
- Chile: Airport strike grounds departing flights Updated: Sep-15-15 2:55 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - A 24-hour strike by civil aviation workers in Chile grounded dozens of departing flights and affected thousands of passengers, officials said on Tuesday.
- Chile's Bachelet: 'fairy godmother' to unpopular leader Updated: Sep-12-15 3:10 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - Michelle Bachelet was once among the world's most popular leaders.
- Chile Catholic Church rocked by email scandal Updated: Sep-12-15 3:48 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Catholic Church in Chile has been rocked by another scandal surrounding its most infamous pedophile.