- Rio 2016 organizers unveil Olympic torch Updated: Jul-03-15 10:54 pm
BRASILIA, Brazil - Rio de Janeiro organizers unveiled the Olympic torch for the 2016 Games on Friday, saying it brings together "movement, innovation and Brazilian flavor."
- Brazilian refs sending message to players: Stop the whining! Updated: Jul-03-15 4:12 am
SAO PAULO - Brazilian referees are done with tolerating whining players.
- Copa America: Argentina, Chile trying to end title drought Updated: Jul-03-15 12:14 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - The South American title won't be the only thing at stake when Argentina and Chile meet in Saturday's Copa America final.
- JBS of Brazil buying Cargill US pork unit for $1.45B Updated: Jul-01-15 5:57 pm
NEW YORK - Brazilian meat producer JBS will buy the U.S. pork division of agribusiness giant Cargill for $1.45 billion, the companies said Wednesday.
- JBS USA to buy Cargill pork business for $1.45 billion Updated: Jul-01-15 5:51 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. subsidiary of a Brazilian-based international meat processor is buying the pork division of Cargill Inc.
- Brazil to ask former coaches to help improve local football Updated: Jul-01-15 4:06 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation will summon former national team coaches to help find ways of improving football in the country after a series of disappointing results.
- Uber hits roadblocks in Brazil's biggest city and capital Updated: Jul-01-15 1:52 pm
SAO PAULO - The Uber ride sharing service is facing roadblocks in Brazil's biggest city and in Brasilia, the country's capital.
- Striker Robinho leaves Brazilian club to play in China Updated: Jul-01-15 12:48 am
SAO PAULO - Veteran Brazil striker Robinho said Tuesday that he is leaving Brazilian club Santos and will reportedly play in China for Guangzhou Evergrande, now coached by Luiz Felipe Scolari.
- Aldo pulls out of UFC 189 with rib injury Updated: Jun-30-15 8:38 pm
LAS VEGAS - UFC lightweight champion Jose Aldo has pulled out of his title defense against Conor McGregor at UFC 189 on July 11 with a rib injury.
- Police replace soldiers on security duty in big Rio slum Updated: Jun-30-15 4:56 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Police in Rio de Janeiro have finished replacing more than 2,000 soldiers who have been stationed in the Mare complex of shantytowns to improve security and drive out the drug gangs that ruled the slum for decades.
- 2 years after spying flap, US, Brazil seek to turn the page Updated: Jun-30-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Two years after revelations about U.S. spying frayed ties between their countries, President Barack Obama and visiting Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff publicly closed that chapter Tuesday, declaring that the relationship between the U.S. and Brazil is on an upward swing.
- US opening market to Argentina, Brazil beef imports Updated: Jun-30-15 3:50 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina and Brazil are greeting news that they will soon be able to export fresh beef into the United States after a longtime ban.
- Brazil midfielder Paulinho joins Guangzhou from Spurs Updated: Jun-29-15 10:18 am
GUANGZHOU, China - Brazil midfielder Paulinho has left Tottenham to join Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande for 14 million euros ($15.5 million), ending a frustrating two-year spell at the Premier League team.
- Czech football great Josef Masopust dies at 84 Updated: Jun-29-15 9:20 am
PRAGUE - Czech football great Josef Masopust, who led the national side to the final of the 1962 World Cup, has died aged 84.
- Palmeiras routs rival Sao Paulo 4-0 in Brazilian league Updated: Jun-28-15 8:12 pm
SAO PAULO - Palmeiras scored twice in each half to beat Sao Paulo 4-0 on Sunday and keep its rival from taking over the Brazilian league lead.
- Argentina leads final 4 in Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-28-15 5:24 pm
SANTIAGO, Chile - The Copa America semifinals are again missing a local favorite.
- Brazil faces uncertainty after another disappointing defeat Updated: Jun-28-15 10:33 am
SAO PAULO - It just keeps getting worse for Brazil's national team.
- Paraguay again eliminates Brazil in Copa America quarters Updated: Jun-28-15 12:14 am
CONCEPCION, Chile - Paraguay defeated Brazil 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the Copa America, handing the five-time world champions yet another disappointment a year after the humiliating World Cup elimination at home.
- Brazil's finance minister suffers pulmonary embolism Updated: Jun-27-15 1:50 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil's Finance Ministry says Minister Joaquim Levy suffered a pulmonary embolism Friday night but was recovering and was expected to fly New York to accompany President Dilma Rousseff on her official visit to the United States.
- Brazil's softball team crowdfunding to prepare for Toronto Updated: Jun-26-15 2:39 pm
ARUJA, Brazil - Forget about batting practice or fielding drills. Brazil's softball team is spending its time ahead of the Pan American Games hunting for money.
- Judge issues restraining order in fight over giant emerald Updated: Jun-26-15 12:10 am
LOS ANGELES - The fight over ownership of a giant 752-pound emerald isn't over.
- Brazil's unemployment rates rises Updated: Jun-25-15 1:22 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazil's government says unemployment continues rising in Latin America's largest country.
- Host Chile beats Uruguay to reach Copa America semifinals Updated: Jun-25-15 1:33 am
SANTIAGO, Chile - Chile's hopes of winning its home Copa America sharply improved with a 1-0 win over defending champion Uruguay on Wednesday.
- Rugby takes small step to Olympics; bigger jump to get fans Updated: Jun-24-15 4:49 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Returning to the Olympics is one step for rugby. But grabbing the limelight is a bigger jump, particularly in countries like Brazil where the sport has little following.
- Flamingo in Brazilian zoo gets artificial leg Updated: Jun-24-15 4:20 pm
SOROCABA, Brazil - A pink flamingo in Brazil has gotten a new leg to stand on - an artificial one.