- Brazil to sue BHP, Vale for $ 5.2 billion for burst dam Updated: Nov-28-15 3:16 pm
SAO PAULO - Federal and state governments in Brazil say they will sue iron ore miner Samarco and its co-owners BHP Billiton and Vale for $ 5.2 billion for the damage caused when a dam burst earlier this month, creating an environmental disaster.
- 99-year-old Havelange released from Rio de Janeiro hospital Updated: Nov-28-15 10:04 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Former FIFA president Joao Havelange was released Saturday from a Rio de Janeiro hospital where he was treated for 12 days for what doctors called "respiratory problems."
- Former FIFA president Joao Havelange hospitalized in Rio Updated: Nov-27-15 2:23 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Former FIFA president Joao Havelange is being treated in a Rio de Janeiro hospital for respiratory problems.
- Lawyer detained for obstructing Brazil corruption probe Updated: Nov-27-15 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A lawyer representing a key convict in the corruption scandal at Brazil's state-run oil giant Petrobras was detained Friday as he arrived at Rio de Janeiro's international airport, police said.
- IOC leaders to discuss Mexico dispute next month Updated: Nov-27-15 8:01 am
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A dispute that could lead to Mexico's suspension from the Olympics will be discussed by IOC leaders next month.
- Hearing set for ex-Wesleyan student in US drug case Updated: Nov-26-15 5:15 pm
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - One of two ex-Wesleyan University students charged with federal crimes in connection with a rash of on-campus drug overdoses is due in court next week.
- Del Nero quits FIFA executive committee; Sarney takes over Updated: Nov-26-15 3:07 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian Football Confederation said its president Marco Polo del Nero stepped down Thursday from FIFA's executive committee and will be replaced by Fernando Sarney.
- FIFA donates 48 luxury watches to non-profit organization Updated: Nov-26-15 12:01 pm
GENEVA - FIFA's unethical weakness for luxury watches earned a windfall for a soccer charity working in Brazil.
- Brazil police arrest government Senate leader Updated: Nov-25-15 6:57 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian police on Wednesday arrested the government's leader in the Senate for allegedly obstructing the investigation into a corruption scandal at state-owned oil company Petrobras.
- Brazil auditor worried by border security for Rio Olympics Updated: Nov-25-15 1:23 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A government watchdog said Wednesday that "flaws" in Brazil's border security are a "big concern" heading toward next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Dubai's Dnata buys stake in Brazil airport services firm RM Updated: Nov-25-15 5:10 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The company that runs Dubai-based airline Emirates says it has bought a majority stake in a Brazilian firm that provides ground handling services at two dozen airports in the South American country.
- Olympic qualifying draw sets up possible US-Canada final Updated: Nov-23-15 6:18 pm
The World Cup-champion U.S. women's national team will face Costa Rica to open the eight-team CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament in February.
- Mud from Brazil mining disaster contaminates ocean Updated: Nov-23-15 9:55 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - A torrent of mud unleashed by a dam burst at an iron ore mine in southeastern Brazil is contaminating the Atlantic Ocean.
- Rio Olympic golf course handed over to games organizers Updated: Nov-22-15 12:42 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's Olympic golf course - slowed by environmental lawsuits, land ownership disputes and doubts it even needed to be built - was handed over Sunday to organizers of next year's games.
- 3 Syrians detained in St. Maarten, 1 stopped in Honduras Updated: Nov-21-15 5:40 pm
PHILIPSBURG, St. Maarten - Three Syrians traveling with fake Greek passports are being held in the Dutch Caribbean island of St. Maarten, authorities said, while officials in the Central American nation of Honduras reported detaining a Syrian and two Pakistanis traveling by bus Saturday.
- Mitchell has 25 points, No. 7 Ohio State beats Belmont 84-56 Updated: Nov-19-15 10:28 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Kelsey Mitchell had 25 points and six assists and No. 7 Ohio State beat Belmont 84-56 on Thursday for its first victory of the season.
- Corinthians claim 6th Brazil title with draw against Vasco Updated: Nov-19-15 10:25 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Vagner Love headed in a late goal to help Corinthians claim a sixth Brazilian league with three games to play after a 1-1 draw against Vasco da Gama on Thursday.
- Brazilian prosecutor charges police officer with homicide Updated: Nov-19-15 4:49 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A Brazilian prosecutor has charged a Rio de Janeiro police officer with homicide in last April's killing of a 10-year-old boy during a police operation against suspected drug traffickers in one of the city's largest slums.
- Brazil, Argentina win to boost World Cup qualifying chances Updated: Nov-17-15 9:18 pm
SALVADOR, Brazil - Brazil revived its World Cup qualifying campaign with a 3-0 win over Peru on Tuesday.
- Brazil police probing mob killing in Rio's Ipanema Updated: Nov-16-15 10:34 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro police say they are investigating the apparent mob killing of a 33-year-old ice vendor in the heart of the Olympic city's Ipanema neighborhood.
- IOC's Bach confident in Rio security after Paris attacks Updated: Nov-15-15 4:35 pm
LONDON - IOC President Thomas Bach expressed confidence Sunday in the ability of Brazilian authorities to protect next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the wake of the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.
- Bach: Russia can only return if compliant with global rules Updated: Nov-15-15 3:13 pm
LONDON - Russia's track and field athletes will be eligible for the Olympics only if the country falls into line with all global anti-doping rules and the reforms are verifiable, IOC President Thomas Bach said Sunday in an interview with The Associated Press.
- Rosberg wins Brazilian GP from pole ahead of Hamilton Updated: Nov-15-15 2:56 pm
SAO PAULO - Nico Rosberg is dominating the tail end of the Formula One season, cruising to his second straight victory at the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday.
- Argentina, Brazil draw 1-1 in classic World Cup qualifier Updated: Nov-13-15 11:50 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina and Brazil drew 1-1 in their much-awaited World Cup qualifier on Friday, with neither of the traditional South American powers able to secure the victory needed to kick-start their slow start to the 2018 qualifying campaign.
- The Latest: Top officials heading to Paris concert hall Updated: Nov-13-15 7:28 pm
PARIS - The latest on shootings and explosions in Paris. (all times local):