- AP Interview: Rio security head says cuts impact Olympics Updated: May-06-16 2:32 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's state security secretary acknowledges that cuts of $550 million to his budget pose a risk to the Olympics when they open in three months.
- Havelange turns 100 in Rio; plans to attend Olympics Updated: May-06-16 11:19 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Joao Havelange delivered an impassioned speech seven years ago in French, urging fellow International Olympic Committee members to choose Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Olympics.
- Brazil's high court suspends house speaker, foe of president Updated: May-05-16 6:38 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's top court voted unanimously Thursday to suspend the scandal-tainted leader of the lower house of Congress from his duties.
- Beach volleyball goes to college for 1st NCAA championship Updated: May-05-16 6:11 pm
Beach volleyball is ready to graduate.
- Foreign investors in fizzled development are at wit's end Updated: May-05-16 4:50 pm
MONTPELIER, Vermont - Foreigners who had been banking on their investments in a biomedical research facility and a hotel and rental cottage project in Vermont to get green cards are scrambling to find a backup now that the project's developers are accused of misusing hundreds of millions of dollars in what investigators called a "massive eight-year fraud scheme."
- Neymar and Oscar left out of Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: May-05-16 4:30 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Barcelona star Neymar and Chelsea midfielder Oscar have been left off Brazil's squad for the Copa America in the United States next month.
- Australia's Marc Leishman out of Rio Olympics consideration Updated: May-04-16 10:07 pm
Marc Leishman won't be playing golf for Australia at the Rio Olympics in August, citing concerns over the health of his family because of the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
- Mining company's stock dives as Brazil sues in dam tragedy Updated: May-04-16 10:20 am
LONDON - Shares in miner BHP Billiton tumbled after Brazil's federal prosecutor launched a $43 billion civil suit for a dam break that killed 19 people and caused the worst environmental disaster in the country's history.
- Brazil turmoil costs AB Inbev in quarterly results Updated: May-04-16 6:04 am
BRUSSELS - The world's biggest brewer, AB Inbev, says economic and political turmoil in Brazil hit its quarterly earnings, with sales volumes declining by 10 percent in the huge Latin American nation.
- Andy Murray won't stay at Olympic Village at Rio Games Updated: May-03-16 8:26 pm
MADRID - Defending champion Andy Murray says he won't be living in the Olympic Village in Rio de Janeiro, preferring to stay at an apartment with the British tennis team.
- Rio city council commission formed to probe Olympic projects Updated: May-03-16 5:47 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's city council set up a commission on Tuesday to investigate whether the city's Olympic projects were tarnished by corruption.
- Brazil judge overturns WhatsApp suspension Updated: May-03-16 4:27 pm
SAO PAULO - A Brazilian judge struck down an earlier court ruling to suspend messaging service WhatsApp in Latin America's biggest country for 72 hours, reactivating it on Tuesday, the day after it was shut down.
- Rousseff lights Olympic flame as protesters hit the streets Updated: May-03-16 2:55 pm
BRASILIA, Brazil - Brazil's embattled President Dilma Rousseff ignited the Olympic flame on Tuesday, as a nationwide torch relay got underway with protests highlighting the country's deep political and economic crisis.
- Mother and son shooters aim to make history at Olympics Updated: May-03-16 12:30 pm
TBILISI, Georgia - Going into her eighth Olympics, former shooting champion Nino Salukvadze has plenty of reasons to be proud of her long career.
- Olympic flame set to arrive in Brazil for torch relay Updated: May-02-16 1:48 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Olympic flame is set to arrive in Brazil, kicking off a three-month torch relay around the country that will end at the Maracana stadium when the games open on Aug. 5.
- Argentina's big unions join to protest layoffs, inflation Updated: Apr-29-16 10:58 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's strongest unions brought thousands of people into the streets Friday to protest high inflation and job cuts in the biggest demonstrations against President Mauricio Macri since he took office in December.
- Brazil police arrest Colombian drug trafficker Updated: Apr-29-16 3:49 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian police say they have arrested a Colombian man wanted on drug gang charges in his home country and in the U.S.
- Rio Olympic flame visits UN office in Geneva Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 pm
GENEVA - The Olympic flame for the Rio de Janeiro Games came to the United Nations in Geneva on Friday, where officials said a team of refugee athletes will bring a message of hope for refugees around the world.
- Transgender civil servants in Brazil can use chosen name Updated: Apr-28-16 6:39 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian transgender and transsexual civil servants will now be able to use their chosen names while on the job.
- Rio mayor wants Olympic cauldron near revitalized port area Updated: Apr-28-16 3:29 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Mayor Eduardo Paes says he wants the Olympic cauldron to burn in Rio de Janeiro's revitalized port area.
- Dortmund captain and defender Hummels wants Bayern move Updated: Apr-28-16 12:25 pm
DORTMUND, Germany - Borussia Dortmund captain and central defender Mats Hummels has asked to be released from his contract so that he can move to Bundesliga rival Bayern Munich next season.
- Rio gets Olympic flame 100 days before games Updated: Apr-27-16 2:31 pm
ATHENS, Greece - The Olympic flame was handed to organizers of the Rio de Janeiro Games in Athens on Wednesday, 100 days before the opening ceremony in Brazil.
- Rio gets 3 holidays during Olympics, traffic fines loom Updated: Apr-27-16 2:16 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Residents of Rio de Janeiro will get three new holidays during the Olympics as part of a plan to keep people off the roads and limit the city's suffocating traffic.
- US Olympians get nautical look for Rio's closing ceremony Updated: Apr-27-16 1:34 pm
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado - Olympic athletes from the United States will look ready to sail back home when they attend the closing ceremony at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.
- South Korea unveils Zika-proof Olympic uniforms Updated: Apr-27-16 1:19 pm
SEOUL, South Korea - South Korea's Olympic committee on Wednesday unveiled Zika-proof uniforms complete with mosquito repellent it says will help protect athletes from the virus at this year's games in Rio de Janeiro.