- HSBC profit rises 10 percent, bank selling Brazil unit Updated: Aug-03-15 1:31 am
HONG KONG - HSBC Holdings PLC, Europe's biggest bank, said Monday that strong performance in Asia helped to boost first-half profit by 10 percent. The bank also announced the sale of its Brazil business for $5.2 billion.
- Flamengo held to 2-2 draw in front of record crowd in Rio Updated: Aug-02-15 10:11 pm
SAO PAULO - Flamengo relinquished a two-goal first-half lead in a 2-2 draw against Santos in the Brazilian league on Sunday, disappointing a record crowd of 61,421 at the Maracana Stadium.
- Rousey attends soccer game at Maracana after UFC win in Rio Updated: Aug-02-15 9:32 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Ronda Rousey spent the day after her impressive victory over Bethe Correia at UFC 190 by going to a soccer game at Maracana Stadium.
- IOC to order tests for viruses at Rio's Olympic water venues Updated: Aug-02-15 5:22 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The International Olympic Committee said Sunday it will order testing for disease-causing viruses in the sewage-polluted waters where athletes will compete in next year's Rio de Janeiro Games.
- Rousey crushes Correia to defend her title at UFC 190 Updated: Aug-02-15 11:30 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - It's not a good idea to give Ronda Rousey some extra motivation.
- Rousey says she'll do Roddy Piper 'proud' in Rio fight Updated: Aug-01-15 10:14 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Ronda Rousey says she will be fighting for the late Roddy Piper, the Hall of Fame wrestler who gave her his "Rowdy" nickname.
- IOC hears reports on Rio's dirty water, Tokyo emblem flap Updated: Aug-01-15 7:53 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A day after the high-profile vote which awarded Beijing the 2022 Winter Games, International Olympic Committee members dealt Saturday with issues affecting the next two Summer Games - severe water pollution in Rio de Janeiro and the fuss over Tokyo's choice of emblem.
- Brazil's Petrobras receives more than $20 million Updated: Jul-31-15 11:46 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazil's state-owned oil company has received the equivalent of more than $20 million that was recovered as a result of an investigation into a corruption-kickback scandal engulfing Petrobras.
- AP Investigation: What's in Rio's water? AP explains tests Updated: Jul-30-15 5:18 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Sewage pollution has long been a problem for Rio de Janeiro, and officials promised they would use the 2016 Summer Olympics as the springboard to finally clean up this stunningly beautiful city's waterways.
- AP Investigation: Filthy Rio water a threat at 2016 Olympics Updated: Jul-30-15 12:30 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The waters where Olympians will compete in swimming and boating events next summer in South America's first games are rife with human sewage and present a serious health risk for athletes, as well as for visitors to the iconic beaches of Rio de Janeiro.
- A year away, Olympic organizers counting on sun and samba Updated: Jul-28-15 5:32 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro conjures clear images of sun, samba and soccer. Organizers of the Olympics that start a year from now hope that's what people remember after the games - not images of polluted water, inefficient transportation and incomplete venues.
- S&P revises Brazil's outlook to negative Updated: Jul-28-15 3:19 pm
SAO PAULO - Standard & Poor's Ratings Services said on Tuesday it has revised the outlook for Brazil's foreign-currency debt from stable to negative.
- Jackson father reported stable after stroke Brazil Updated: Jul-28-15 12:16 pm
SAO PAULO - One of the organizers of a birthday party that brought the father of the late Michael Jackson to Brazil says he's in stable condition in a Sao Paulo hospital after suffering a stroke.
- Rio de Janeiro prisons seek to protect transgender inmates Updated: Jul-28-15 1:59 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - When Estefanie Ferraz went to prison, she had been living as a woman for around a decade, had undergone more than half a dozen plastic surgeries including breast and cheek implants to enhance her feminine looks, and was saving up for a sex change operation.
- With tournament title secured, US sweeps China Updated: Jul-26-15 9:57 pm
OMAHA, Nebraska - With the FIVB World Grand Prix Finals championship already secured, the United States added a three-set victory over China on Sunday to cap the tournament.
- CONMEBOL leader Napout hopes to play scandal-hit Centenario Updated: Jul-24-15 1:36 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - CONMEBOL member countries still want to play the 2016 Copa America Centenario in the United States despite an ongoing bribery investigation, their president Juan Angel Napout said Friday.
- FIFA says corruption crisis hinders search for new sponsors Updated: Jul-24-15 8:13 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The FIFA corruption crisis is hurting its search for new World Cup sponsors.
- US to play Brazil in exhibition at Foxborough on Sept 8 Updated: Jul-23-15 12:45 pm
CHICAGO - The U.S. soccer team will play an exhibition against Brazil on Sept. 8 at Foxborough, Massachusetts.
- Americans start looking toward Rio as Pan Am Games wind down Updated: Jul-22-15 4:29 pm
TORONTO - Alan Ashley isn't paying attention to the medal table at the Pan Am Games, but the American will be riveted to it at next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
- Rhapsody tops 3 million paying music subscribers globally Updated: Jul-22-15 12:47 pm
LOS ANGELES - Rhapsody International, the operator of the Rhapsody and Napster streaming music services, says it has surpassed 3 million paying subscribers globally as more consumers realize the benefits of offline listening.
- Number of players leaving Brazil highest since 2011 Updated: Jul-21-15 11:03 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation says 355 players left the country in the first six months of the year, the most since 2011.
- Brazil-Argentina US friendly canceled as FIFA probe fallout Updated: Jul-21-15 8:26 pm
SAO PAULO - A friendly between Brazil and Argentina planned in the United States in September has been canceled as part of the fallout from the investigation into alleged corruption involving FIFA.
- Approval rating for Brazil's president hits new low Updated: Jul-21-15 5:08 pm
SAO PAULO - The approval rating for President Dilma Rousseff has plunged to new lows amid Brazil's economic troubles and the huge corruption scandal at Petrobras, the state energy company.
- Study: DNA reveals new wrinkle about settlement of Americas Updated: Jul-21-15 1:16 pm
NEW YORK - Scientists have discovered a previously unknown source of ancestry for some native peoples in Brazil, suggesting a new wrinkle in the story of the settlement of the Americas.
- Pele leaves Sao Paulo hospital after back surgery Updated: Jul-20-15 4:42 pm
SAO PAULO - Pele has been released from a Brazilian hospital after successfully undergoing back surgery.