- Brazil great Zico considering running for FIFA president Updated: Jun-02-15 10:33 pm
SAO PAULO - Brazilian soccer great Zico is considering running for the FIFA presidency, soon to be vacant after the announcement by Sepp Blatter earlier Tuesday that he will step down later this year amid a corruption scandal.
- Brazilian club Cruzeiro hires coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo Updated: Jun-02-15 6:51 pm
SAO PAULO - Cruzeiro has hired Vanderlei Luxemburgo to replace Marcelo Oliveira, the coach who led the team to the Brazilian league titles for the last two seasons.
- Blatter says he will resign as FIFA president Updated: Jun-02-15 5:27 pm
ZURICH - The end for Sepp Blatter came suddenly, just days after he had seemingly solidified his hold on FIFA.
- NFL looking for more international games in Mexico, Germany Updated: Jun-02-15 5:05 pm
NEW YORK - Commissioner Roger Goodell casually mentioned last month the NFL's interest in adding more international games. He mentioned potential contests in Germany, Mexico and Brazil.
- Injured Luiz Gustavo cut from Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: Jun-02-15 11:17 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The Brazilian football confederation says defensive midfielder Luiz Gustavo will not play in the Copa America because of a knee injury.
- Former Brazil soccer president Teixeira facing investigation Updated: Jun-02-15 9:27 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - Brazilian federal police requested that prosecutors charge the former president of the country's soccer confederation with corruption crimes related to $147 million in "atypical" bank transfers as he led preparations for the 2014 World Cup.
- Seattle Sounders sign Brazilian midfielder Thomas Updated: Jun-01-15 9:47 pm
SEATTLE - The Seattle Sounders have signed Brazilian midfielder Thomas Jaguaribe Bedinelli, who will be eligible to play immediately.
- Brazil students make art out of trash plucked off Rio shore Updated: Jun-01-15 5:52 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Forget pricey imported oil paints and exorbitant blocks of marble. Art students at a Brazilian university have taken advantage of one material they have in endless and free supply - trash - to create an exhibition that aims to draw attention to the fetid state of Rio de Janeiro's Guanabara Bay, where Olympic sailing events are to be held next year.
- Brazil beats Nigeria, Germany routs Fiji at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-01-15 2:48 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Striker Judivan scored twice as Brazil beat Nigeria 4-2 on Monday in a thrilling start to its FIFA Under-20 World Cup campaign.
- Palmeiras beats Corinthians 2-0 for 1st Brazilian league win Updated: May-31-15 8:03 pm
SAO PAULO - Veteran playmaker Ze Roberto scored in first-half injury time to help Palmeiras defeat rival Corinthians 2-0 on Sunday for its first win in this year's Brazilian league.
- Pele's son fired by Rivaldo's team in Brazil's 2nd division Updated: May-31-15 6:40 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian club that has former Brazil and Barcelona star Rivaldo as its president says it has fired Pele's son Edinho.
- Injured Marcelo dropped from Brazil's Copa America squad Updated: May-30-15 10:56 pm
SAO PAULO - The Brazilian football confederation says left back Marcelo has been dropped from Brazil's Copa America squad because of an injury.
- Small clubs, youth teams feel victimized by FIFA scandal Updated: May-30-15 5:31 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - The accused in the FIFA scandal are easy to spot: globe-trotting executives charged with diverting millions meant to build the game to their personal accounts. Those who feel victimized aren't as obvious: Youth players with hand-me-down equipment, semi-pro clubs that can't afford to travel and developmental leagues that can't pay referees.
- North Korean ex-POWs hope to return home before they die Updated: May-30-15 3:16 am
SEOUL, South Korea - After the Korean War ended in 1953, Kim Myeong Bok and 75 other North Korean prisoners of war detained in South Korea opted to live abroad rather than risk hostile welcomes in either half of their homeland. Now he wants to come home, though he may find little more than rejection and suspicion.
- FIFA scandal reverberating across soccer-crazy South America Updated: May-29-15 4:59 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Within hours of the FIFA scandal breaking, Sergio Jadue, the president of Chile's soccer federation, was declaring his innocence even though he wasn't formally accused of anything.
- Biblical soap opera enjoying ungodly success in Brazil Updated: May-29-15 8:22 am
RIO DE JANEIRO - The actress agonizes on her deathbed, her hair and makeup impeccable, as the hunky male lead clutches her hand. Tears pour down his face while her eyelids flutter to a final close.
- Need a favorite? Can't go wrong with Argentina, Brazil Updated: May-28-15 9:45 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - If you're trying to pick a winner in the Under-20 World Cup, you may not need to look much further than Latin America.
- FIFA probe shines light on middle-man sports marketing firms Updated: May-28-15 4:56 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. Justice Department's targeting of FIFA, soccer's global governing body, has put a spotlight on the powerful role that marketing firms play in the global sports arena.
- At 72, Brazilian stars celebrate half-century of friendship Updated: May-28-15 2:06 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - A university student by the name of Caetano Veloso struck up a conversation one day with a fellow student, a budding musician with a local TV gig. It was a chance encounter that helped change the face of Brazilian music and launched a friendship that has continued for more than half a century.
- 5 Players to watch at the Under-20 World Cup Updated: May-28-15 12:57 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Five players to watch at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, which kicks off Saturday in New Zealand:
- Visa becomes first FIFA sponsor to warn it could jump ship Updated: May-28-15 11:13 am
LONDON - Worried that their reputations will be tarnished by their links to FIFA, major sponsors are demanding that soccer's global governing body clean up its act, with Visa even warning it is prepared to jump ship.
- 12 schemes outlined by prosecutors in soccer indictment Updated: May-27-15 10:42 pm
The indictment of soccer officials and marketing and TV executives Wednesday alleges 12 schemes:
- A look at the 7 officials arrested in the FIFA raids Updated: May-27-15 3:50 pm
Here is a look at the seven soccer officials arrested in Switzerland on warrants issued by the U.S. Justice Department after a corruption probe involving FIFA members. All seven are connected with the regional confederations of North and South America and face up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Authorities want them extradited to the United States:
- Journalist who denounced drug trafficking murdered in Brazil Updated: May-27-15 3:24 pm
SAO PAULO - A radio journalist known for denouncing drug traffickers and organized crime groups was murdered in northeastern Brazil, police said Wednesday.
- Some of Brazil's most successful coaches out of a job Updated: May-26-15 7:45 pm
SAO PAULO - Some of the most successful coaches in Brazilian soccer are without a job, slowly losing out to a younger generation who are bringing fresh ideas and willing to accept lower salaries.