- Pentagon seeks funding for Libya, Africa military operations Updated: Feb-09-16 3:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is seeking $200 million in the 2017 budget for counterterrorism operations in Libya and other portions of North and West Africa, but Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that Libyans must take the lead in eliminating the Islamic State threat in their country.
- Obama says the US and Italy are working together in Libya Updated: Feb-08-16 4:20 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Italian President Sergio Mattarella met Monday to discuss efforts to fight the spread of the Islamic State in Libya, where the extremist group is capitalizing on political instability to increase its influence.
- Militants shoot down Libyan fighter jet Updated: Feb-08-16 2:10 pm
BENGHAZI, Libya - Libya's air force chief of staff says a fighter jet was shot down while carrying out airstrikes against Islamic militants.
- Italy urges Egypt to help find who tortured, killed student Updated: Feb-08-16 1:51 pm
ROME - Italy kept pressure on Egypt Monday to cooperate in finding who tortured and murdered an Italian student doing research in Cairo, insisting it wouldn't accept convenient answers in the case.
- Tunisia unveils anti-jihadi fence on Libyan border Updated: Feb-06-16 2:02 pm
BEN GUERDANE, Tunisia - Tunisia's defense minister has visited an anti-jihadi fence that's being built on the country's border with Libya to stop Islamist militants from entering Tunisian territory.
- NATO chief meets EU defense ministers to discuss cooperation Updated: Feb-05-16 10:34 am
AMSTERDAM - European Union defense ministers huddled Friday with NATO's secretary general to discuss closer cooperation between the military alliance and the 28-nation bloc to tackle looming threats to the region.
- Official: spy was in Lebanon to help kidnapped Czech Updated: Feb-05-16 6:40 am
PRAGUE - The Czech defense minister says a military spy who was among five Czechs returned Thursday from Lebanon was seeking information about a fellow countryman kidnapped in Libya last year.
- US struggling to build anti-Islamic State strategy in Libya Updated: Feb-04-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is struggling to find the right mix of military and diplomatic moves to stop the Islamic State in Libya, where the extremist group has taken advantage of the political chaos in the country to gain a foothold with worrying implications for the U.S. and Europe - particularly Italy, just 300 miles away.
- EU appeals for Libyan unity government, warns of chaos Updated: Feb-03-16 2:02 pm
BRUSSELS - The European Union is urging Libya's factions to support a broad-based unity government or face the prospect of more chaos.
- US judge won't order Benghazi defendant returned to Libya Updated: Feb-02-16 7:20 pm
WASHINGTON - A federal judge has denied a defense request to send a Libyan man charged in the 2012 Benghazi attacks back to his home country.
- Libya's political chaos slows response to Islamic State Updated: Feb-02-16 1:44 pm
ROME - The military strategy for eliminating the Islamic State in Libya appeared on hold Tuesday as nations fighting the extremist group said they could help the North African country re-establish security once its long-awaited new government is established.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Libya lost $68B from attacks on oil, industry chief says Updated: Jan-25-16 4:44 pm
LONDON - Libya will fall further into chaos if its factions don't quickly form a unity government, the head of the state oil company warned Monday, noting the country has already lost some $68 billion in oil sales amid political infighting.
- Algeria raises alarm over Moroccans crossing toward Libya Updated: Jan-23-16 1:15 pm
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algeria's government is raising the alarm over what it describes as a large influx of Moroccans crossing its territory to reach Libya.
- The Latest: Essebsi warns IS could sneak into Tunisia Updated: Jan-22-16 3:03 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia - The latest developments on unrest in Tunisia. All times local:
- AP FACT CHECK: Benghazi movie misstates some facts Updated: Jan-20-16 3:53 am
WASHINGTON - Michael Bay's new film, "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi," tells the story of the deadly Sept. 11, 2012, attacks in Libya through the heroics of the private security contractors assigned to protect Americans.