- Protester disrupts news conference with Egypt's el-Sissi Updated: Jun-03-15 11:28 am
BERLIN - Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi defended his government's human rights track record Wednesday, saying he was operating "amid very difficult circumstances" after Chancellor Angela Merkel criticized the country's widespread use of the death penalty.
- Gunmen open fire, kill 2 Egyptian policemen at the Pyramids Updated: Jun-03-15 7:38 am
CAIRO - Egypt's state news agency says gunmen on a speeding motorcycle opened fire, killing two members of the tourist police at the famed Giza Pyramids.
- American Pharoah owner paved path of bold bets Updated: Jun-02-15 5:23 pm
NEW YORK - Ahmed Zayat spends big money buying and betting on horses, and brags about how successful he's been at everything he's set out to accomplish.
- Egypt's el-Sissi heads to Germany, seeking Western support Updated: Jun-02-15 12:56 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi travels to Berlin on Tuesday, where German leaders are ready to roll out the red carpet for the ex-general despite what monitors describe as his government's abysmal human rights record.
- Demolition of torched HQ of Mubarak's old party begins Updated: May-31-15 12:41 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian workers, using construction drills and cranes, began Sunday to demolish the former headquarters of ousted President Hosni Mubarak's now-defunct party, a towering structure which was torched by protesters during the 2011 uprising that ended Mubarak's rule.
- Saudi, Egypt downplay reports of discord over Syria Updated: May-31-15 12:19 pm
CAIRO - Egypt and Saudi Arabia sought Sunday to downplay reports of discord among the close allies over Syria during a visit of the Saudi foreign minister to Cairo.
- Egyptian-American released, flies back to US Updated: May-31-15 5:46 am
WASHINGTON - An Egyptian-American who had been sentenced to life in prison in Egypt and had been on a hunger strike for more than a year before being freed has arrived back in the United States.
- Temperatures soar across Mideast countries amid sandstorms Updated: May-27-15 2:24 pm
CAIRO - Temperatures soared across the Middle East on Wednesday, with winds and sandstorms driving people indoors as unlucky pedestrians tried to shield themselves from the sun with books, newspapers or anything they could find.
- Nigerian goalkeeper banned 1 year for spitting at official Updated: May-26-15 4:33 pm
CAIRO - A Nigerian goalkeeper was banned for a year for spitting at an assistant referee and clubs were handed fines totaling $85,000 in disciplinary decisions announced by the Confederation of African Football on Tuesday.
- Egypt president to respond to emails from public in speeches Updated: May-26-15 2:19 pm
CAIRO - The Egyptian president's media office says that an email address will be created to receive letters from citizens so that he can answer them in monthly speeches.
- Agent: 'Lawrence of Arabia' star Omar Sharif has Alzheimer's Updated: May-25-15 6:01 pm
LOS ANGELES - Legendary "Lawrence of Arabia" actor Omar Sharif is battling Alzheimer's disease, his agent Steve Kenis confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday.
- Egyptian woman arrested over racy music video Updated: May-25-15 3:59 pm
CAIRO - Egyptian authorities have arrested a woman who danced in a racy music video that went viral on the internet and referred her to misdemeanor court for "inciting debauchery."
- Army chiefs plan for proposed joint Arab force in Mideast Updated: May-25-15 5:50 am
CAIRO - Army chiefs of staff of Arab countries have drafted a protocol for a new joint force to intervene in Middle East hotspots on missions ranging from fighting Islamic militants to Iran-backed groups - despite lingering disagreements on some details, including where to base the force's headquarters.
- Egypt court acquits 17 in protest that saw mother shot dead Updated: May-23-15 11:08 am
CAIRO - An Egyptian court acquitted 17 people on Saturday over taking part in an unsanctioned demonstration earlier this year in which a young mother was shot to death in downtown Cairo.
- US rejects nuclear disarmament document over Israel concerns Updated: May-22-15 9:35 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The United States on Friday blocked a global document aimed at ridding the world of nuclear weapons, saying Egypt and other states tried to "cynically manipulate" the process by setting a deadline for Israel and its neighbors to meet within months on a Middle East zone free of such weapons.
- Ebola-free Liberia cleared to host football games again Updated: May-22-15 4:21 pm
CAIRO - The Confederation of African Football has cleared Liberia to host international football games again after it was declared free of Ebola by the World Health Organization.
- Analysis: At Mideast forum, hopes for future amid chaos Updated: May-22-15 3:30 pm
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Against a backdrop of Iraq and Syria in flames, Middle Eastern political and business leaders sought to focus on a future of growth and investment for a region that for long has lagged behind. But present-day reality proved rather difficult to ignore, with the Islamic State group wreaking havoc not far from these Dead Sea shores.
- Egypt's president: Lack of 'justice' fueling extremism Updated: May-22-15 10:08 am
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, who has led a massive ongoing crackdown on Islamists, said on Friday that the fight against extremism in the region must go hand-in-hand with pursuing greater "freedom, equality and justice."
- IS affiliate in Egypt vows to attack judges over executions Updated: May-21-15 9:50 am
CAIRO - The leader of an Islamic State affiliate in Egypt has vowed to kill judges and security forces in retaliation for the execution of six suspected militants earlier this week.
- IMF says Gaza reconstruction moving slowly Updated: May-20-15 10:10 am
- Palestinian patients find help in Israeli hospital Updated: May-19-15 5:29 am
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The bedroom of Palestinian siblings Ahmed and Hadeel Hamdan looks like a hospital ward, filled with beeping machines, monitors, solution bags and sterilizing fluids.
- UN chief concerned at death sentence for Egypt's Morsi Updated: May-18-15 6:07 pm
- Egypt's stock market soars after halt of capital gains tax Updated: May-18-15 11:04 am
CAIRO - Egypt suspended a capital gains tax on Monday, sending shares soaring after a months-long downturn in which investors had complained of a lack of clarity about the new taxes, with some even taking the government to court.
- A look from the niqab, worn by some Muslim women Updated: May-18-15 4:24 am
CAIRO - Across the Middle East and elsewhere, some conservative Muslim women only look out at the world around them from behind the niqab.
- Key events in Egypt since the 2011 uprising Updated: May-16-15 1:34 pm
Here are some key events from more than four years of turmoil and transition in Egypt: