- Algerian TV shut after airing interview with ex-insurgent Updated: Oct-12-15 11:35 am
ALGIERS, Algeria - Police on Monday shut down a private Algerian television station after it aired an interview in which a former insurgent leader trying to set up a political party harshly cautioned President Abdelaziz Bouteflika not to stand in his way.
- 8 memorable presidents of the UN General Assembly Updated: Oct-09-15 12:23 am
UNITED NATIONS - There have been 70 presidents of the U.N. General Assembly, some memorable for their accomplishments, others for their political views, allegations against them, and the reputations of the countries they represent. The arrest of the 68th president, John Ashe of Antigua, in an alleged bribery case has put the spotlight on the presidency of the 193-member world body, which rotates every year by region. Here is a look at eight memorable General Assembly presidents:
- Algeria kills 'dangerous terrorist' near Tunisian border Updated: Oct-07-15 4:06 pm
ALGIERS, Algeria - The Algerian Defense Ministry says its security forces have killed a "dangerous terrorist" active since 1995 in an eastern region near the border with Tunisia.
- Algerian held in Guantanamo seeks reparations from US Updated: Sep-30-15 5:06 pm
MIAMI - An Algerian man filed a claim Wednesday with an international human rights body seeking compensation from the U.S. government for the nearly 12 years he was held without charge at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Firing of Algeria spy chief is seen as victory for president Updated: Sep-14-15 2:40 pm
ALGIERS, Algeria - He was known as the "Lord of Algeria" and was the longest serving intelligence chief in the world - a J Edgar Hoover-like figure who dominated Algerian politics and had files on everyone.
- Algeria removes top intel chief after years in powerful post Updated: Sep-13-15 12:28 pm
ALGIERS, Algeria - Algeria's president replaced the North African nation's long-time intelligence chief on Sunday with the former No. 2 of the powerful agency who has most recently served as presidential aide.