- The Latest: Solar-powered airplane lands in Pennsylvania Updated: May-25-16 8:50 pm
DAYTON, Ohio - The Latest on a solar-powered plane's flight from Ohio to Pennsylvania (all times local):
- Dubai to open 2016-17 IRB Sevens season in December Updated: May-25-16 1:45 am
SYDNEY - Fiji will begin defense of its IRB world sevens title on Dec. 2-3 when the opening tournament of the 10-round, 2016-17 season is held at Dubai, followed a week later at Cape Town.
- Dubai announces $270 million canal project with homes, shops Updated: May-24-16 6:16 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Officials in Dubai have announced a new, $270-million project to build homes and shops along part of the under-construction Dubai canal.
- Reports: Emirati teen convicted for joining IS in Syria Updated: May-24-16 2:26 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - State media in the UAE are reporting that an Emirati teenager who joined the Islamic State group in Syria and fought there has been sentenced to five years in prison.
- GE announces deals worth over $1.4 billion with Saudi Arabia Updated: May-23-16 11:50 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - General Electric Co. said Monday it made a series of deals with Saudi Arabia worth more than $1.4 billion as part of the kingdom's ambitious plan to wean itself off crude oil.
- Official: Iran to try to 'speed up' held Lebanese man's case Updated: May-23-16 7:29 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Iran "will try to speed up" the case involving a detained U.S. permanent resident who advocates Internet freedom, an official said Monday, making the first government acknowledgement of the man's detention.
- Supporters: Iran human rights activist gets 10-year sentence Updated: May-20-16 7:26 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An already-imprisoned prominent human rights activist in Iran has been sentenced to 10 years in prison in a new trial, a ruling denounced Friday by the United Nations as it called for her immediate release.
- Floating home marks return to Dubai's man-made World islands Updated: May-19-16 7:19 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Surrounded by 300 deserted man-made islands, Dubai's newest real-estate wonder has all the amenities of a luxury hotel - plus views of the bottom of the sea.
- Report: Alleged sexual assault sparked Dubai police shooting Updated: May-17-16 2:17 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A state-owned newspaper in the United Arab Emirates is reporting that an alleged sexual assault caused a Dubai police officer to fatally shoot his colleague.
- United Arab Emirates military plane crashes during training Updated: May-15-16 5:05 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The military of the United Arab Emirates says a military aircraft has crashed during a training flight in the Gulf country, killing two onboard.
- Advocacy group calls on Oman to release detained journalist Updated: May-13-16 6:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - An advocacy group for journalists is asking Oman to release a state radio reporter detained in the country since late April.
- UAE's Happiness Minister wants to see more positive stories Updated: May-11-16 10:09 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The United Arab Emirates' minister for happiness says part of her mission is to encourage local media to tell more positive stories because "happiness is contagious."
- 3 sports journalists in Abu Dhabi convicted of slander Updated: May-11-16 9:12 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Three journalists who appeared on a Dubai television sports channel and criticized the network's Abu Dhabi competitor have received three-month suspended prison sentences for slander, state-backed media reported.
- Jordan official: Extremism a result of no Palestinian state Updated: May-10-16 11:50 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Palestinian statehood is the most important issue now facing the world and that it fuels extremism gripping the Mideast, Jordan's foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Emirates airline says profits are up amid lower oil prices Updated: May-10-16 11:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Middle East's biggest airline, Emirates, said Tuesday its profits were up by about 56 percent to $1.9 billion in the last fiscal year largely due to lower oil prices that drove down fuel costs.
- Bahrain says it will release prominent female activist Updated: May-09-16 2:24 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Bahrain's Foreign Ministry said Monday that a prominent female activist will be released after spending nearly two months in prison.
- Life sentence for UAE man whose wife murdered US citizen Updated: May-09-16 9:35 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A court in the United Arab Emirates handed a life sentence on Monday to the husband of an Emirati woman who was executed for the murder of an American school teacher.
- Kerry arrives in Paris for Syria talks Updated: May-09-16 6:40 am
PARIS - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has arrived in Paris for talks on the conflict in Syria and will be meeting with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
- France to host meeting over Syria next week Updated: May-06-16 12:51 pm
PARIS - France has announced it will host a ministerial meeting of 10 countries over the situation in Syria next week.
- Canadian billionaire sells majority stake in Adriatic marina Updated: May-06-16 10:36 am
TIVAT, Montenegro - Canadian billionaire Peter Munk has sold his majority stake in Porto Montenegro, one of world's largest marinas for super yachts, to Dubai's sovereign wealth fund for a reported 200 million euros ($228 million).
- US military supporting Yemen in fight against al-Qaida Updated: May-05-16 6:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon is providing military support, intelligence, ships and special operations forces to help in the ongoing operations against al-Qaida militants in Yemen, U.S. officials said Thursday.
- Chevrolet, the 'Heartbeat of America,' not coming to Iran Updated: May-04-16 12:24 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Chevrolet, the U.S. car brand once advertised as the "Heartbeat of America," won't be rolling new models through the streets of Iran anytime soon despite the recent lifting of sanctions under a nuclear deal with world powers.
- Severe turbulence injures 32 on Etihad flight to Indonesia Updated: May-04-16 11:51 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Thirty-one passengers and a crew member aboard an Etihad Airways flight were injured Wednesday when their plane ran into sudden turbulence as it prepared to land in the Indonesian capital, Jakarta.
- UN needs $80 million for schools for Palestinian refugees Updated: May-03-16 9:27 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The head of the U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees expressed hope Tuesday that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Kuwait will come up with $80 million to ensure that 500,000 boys and girls who are refugees can start the next school year on time in August.
- Survey finds bribery runs highest among courts in Mideast Updated: May-03-16 1:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A new report released on Tuesday by an anti-corruption watchdog shows that on average, almost a third of the people in nine countries surveyed in the Middle East have had to pay a bribe to access some kind of public service.