- IMF: China, tumbling commodity prices threaten world economy Updated: Sep-02-15 8:14 pm
WASHINGTON - China's slowdown, volatile financial markets and tumbling raw-materials prices have raised the risks to economic growth around the world, the International Monetary Fund reported Wednesday.
- Migrant tempers fray as Hungary blocks trains for 2nd day Updated: Sep-02-15 5:47 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Tempers flared among the thousands trapped in a makeshift refugee camp in the heart of Budapest on Wednesday as Hungary played hardball with its unwelcome visitors for a second day, blocking train ticket-clutching migrants from traveling deeper into Europe.
- Masked men kidnap 18 Turkish workers in Iraqi capital Updated: Sep-02-15 3:50 pm
BAGHDAD - Masked men in military uniforms kidnapped 18 Turkish citizens in Baghdad early Wednesday, bundling them into several SUVs and speeding away in a brazen operation that laid bare serious security gaps in the heavily defended city.
- Lawyer: Turkey moves Vice journalists to distant prison Updated: Sep-02-15 3:20 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Two Vice News journalists and their assistant who were arrested in Turkey on terror-related charges have been transferred to a prison more than 500 kilometers (300 miles) away from their lawyers and the courthouse where they face trial, a lawyer said Wednesday.
- 12 migrants drown off Turkish coast, 2 still missing Updated: Sep-02-15 12:59 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - At least 12 migrants, including five children, drowned off the Turkish coast Wednesday when two boats carrying them to the Greek island of Kos capsized, Turkish officials said. The tides washed up the body of one small boy on the beach, leaving witnesses in tears.
- Thai police: Suspect acknowledges being near bomb scene Updated: Sep-02-15 10:01 am
BANGKOK - Thai police said Wednesday a prime suspect in Bangkok's deadly bombing has admitted to being near the shrine where the attack took place but denied placing the bomb, as other clues increasingly linked the blast to Thailand's forced repatriation of members of a minority ethnic group to China.
- The Latest on Bangkok: Police say suspect was in blast area Updated: Sep-02-15 8:31 am
BANGKOK - The latest on the investigation into the deadly Bangkok bombing (all times local):
- Afghan migrant hopes to complete father's flight from war Updated: Sep-02-15 5:59 am
MORIA, Greece - Three decades after his father fled war in Afghanistan to seek safety in Iran, Abdullah Bakhshi is now on the next leg of his family's long journey to a better life, and part of the largest tide of migrants since World War II.
- Shots fired from Syria kill Turkish soldier Updated: Sep-01-15 3:14 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - The military says a Turkish soldier was killed from shots fired from Islamic State-controlled area across the border in Syria. A second soldier is reported missing.
- A look at what migrants are carrying with them to Europe Updated: Sep-01-15 1:53 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - To survive days on end of walking and improvised camping in harsh weather, they must concentrate on essentials: pain medicine, foot powder and first aid, food and personal hygiene items. The savviest have smartphones with backup battery power and SIM cards that work in the countries they're passing through. Otherwise, they can end up walking in circles without satellite navigation, particularly at night, when many travel to avoid police.
- Police search premises of Turkish opposition business group Updated: Sep-01-15 12:13 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Police on Tuesday searched the premises of a business and media group close to a U.S.-based moderate Islamic cleric whom the government accuses of trying to destabilize it and detained six company officials, state media reported.
- UK police: Mother, 4 children detained in Turkey Updated: Sep-01-15 12:02 pm
LONDON - British police say a mother and her four young children from London who were believed to be on their way to Syria have been detained in Turkey.
- The Latest: Trafficking surges in fake Syrian passports Updated: Sep-01-15 10:10 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The latest developments as tens of thousands of migrants flood into countries across Europe. All times local (CET):
- Letter from Hungary: Migrants seek EU's field of dreams Updated: Aug-30-15 3:22 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - On the edge of a Hungarian cornfield, the beam from a car's headlights reflects in their eyes: Europe's newest residents catching their breaths, fresh from evading border police.
- 5 killed, 24 injured in attacks in southeast Turkey Updated: Aug-29-15 6:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Officials and media reports say three attacks or clashes between Turkish security forces and Kurdish rebels have killed five people and injured 24 others in southeast Turkey.
- AP National News Calendar Updated: Aug-28-15 4:47 pm
Eds: Major scheduled events for the week of August 30 - September 5. Note that many events are subject to change at the last minute.
- Turkish President Erdogan approves interim government Updated: Aug-28-15 3:19 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday approved an interim government that will lead Turkey into a new election in November, paving the way for two legislators from Turkey's pro-Kurdish party to take up ministerial posts for the first time.
- Exhausted migrants scuffle at Greek-Macedonian border Updated: Aug-28-15 12:30 pm
IDOMENI, Greece - Scuffles and limited fights broke out Friday among more than 1,000 people at Greece's northern border with Macedonia as exhausted, thirsty migrants jostled to get into position to cross.
- British journalists detained in Turkey Updated: Aug-28-15 12:11 pm
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey - Two British journalists were detained along with their fixer while reporting from the main city in Turkey's mostly Kurdish southeast, where renewed fighting between the security forces and Kurdish rebels has killed scores of people, officials and reports said Friday.
- Blind replaces Van Persie with Robben as Netherlands captain Updated: Aug-28-15 11:38 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Arjen Robben replaced striker Robin van Persie as captain of the Netherlands on Friday in Danny Blind's first squad since taking over from Guus Hiddink as national coach.
- The Latest: Red Crescent: At least 105 dead in sea off Libya Updated: Aug-28-15 8:47 am
GENEVA - Here are the latest developments Friday regarding the tens of thousands of migrants trying to reach Europe.
- Turkey probes restoration of tower likened to 'SpongeBob' Updated: Aug-27-15 11:35 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish authorities have launched an investigation into restoration work carried out on a historic tower near Istanbul after social media users derided the construction, likening it to the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Official: Syrian opposition figure dies in attack in Turkey Updated: Aug-26-15 11:25 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A Syrian opposition commander has died in a bomb attack in the Turkish city of Antakya, near the border with Syria, an official said Wednesday.
- UN's Cambodian soldiers clear land mines in divided Cyprus Updated: Aug-26-15 9:28 am
MAMMARI, Cyprus - Cambodian army Lt. Sovannara Leang says helping clear ethnically-divided Cyprus of land mines has hit home with him.
- Norway accused of unfairly taking away immigrant children Updated: Aug-26-15 3:37 am
STAVANGER, Norway - One August day, Airida Pettersen received the news many immigrant mothers have come to dread: School representatives told the Lithuanian that child welfare officials removed her two children from the classroom and placed them in a foster home.