- Last call for owners to claim cars left in 1974 Cyprus war Updated: May-26-16 1:36 pm
EPISKOPI, Cyprus - It's last call for the owner to reclaim a late 1950s Dodge Coronet, shades of sky-blue paint still visible on its tailfins, that's been rusting on a British military base for over four decades.
- Dumitru, coach who escaped communist Romania, dies at 76 Updated: May-26-16 12:37 pm
JOHANNESBURG - Ted Dumitru, the former South African national soccer team coach whose 40-year career took him from communist Romania to Turkey, Germany, the United States and across Africa, died Thursday. He was 76.
- Council of Europe: Detention of lone minors 'unacceptable' Updated: May-26-16 10:01 am
ATHENS, Greece - It is "unacceptable" for any unaccompanied refugee and migrant children who arrive on the continent to be held in detention centers, one of Europe's top human rights officials said Thursday, calling on European countries to ensure such children can be housed in special facilities and quickly reunited with their families.
- UN decries church worship limit in Cyprus' breakaway north Updated: May-26-16 9:58 am
NICOSIA, Cyprus - A U.N. envoy has expressed "deep concern" over a newly-imposed limit on worship in Orthodox Christian churches inside ethnically divided Cyprus' breakaway Turkish Cypriot north.
- Turkish flight to London makes emergency landing in Belgrade Updated: May-26-16 7:03 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Officials say a Turkish Airlines jet on a flight from Istanbul to London has made an emergency landing in Belgrade after an unaccounted-for tablet was located on board.
- EU chief says Turkey should meet visa terms, ignores threats Updated: May-26-16 4:06 am
BRUSSELS - European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker says the EU expects Turkey to respect all conditions to secure visa-free travel for its citizens and has rejected what he called threats from Ankara.
- Feds say Turkish celebrity who faces prison is a flight risk Updated: May-25-16 9:03 pm
NEW YORK - A Turkish celebrity who lived the high life as he enabled Iran to overcome U.S. sanctions and deceive the United States and the international banking system for years is a flight risk and shouldn't get bail, prosecutors said Wednesday.
- Russia accuses Turkey of supplying Islamic State extremists Updated: May-25-16 5:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia has accused Turkey of supplying the Islamic State extremist group with components for improvised explosive devices.
- Cyprus: UN shares blame in kerfuffle that paused peace talks Updated: May-25-16 2:38 pm
NICOSIA, Cyprus - Cyprus says the United Nations mishandled a diplomatic kerfuffle involving the leader of the ethnically divided island's breakaway Turkish Cypriots that led to ongoing reunification talks being temporarily put on hold.
- Turkish official: Kurdish rebel car bombing kills 3 Updated: May-25-16 2:24 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A Turkish official says a car bombing by Kurdish rebels against a gendarmerie station near the Syrian border has killed three people.
- Official: Greek efforts to handle refugee crisis significant Updated: May-25-16 12:07 pm
ATHENS, Greece - Greece has faced major problems in dealing with the refugee crisis but has made a significant effort to handle the issues, a leading European human rights official said Wednesday.
- Seeking greater powers, Erdogan chairs Cabinet's 1st meeting Updated: May-25-16 8:55 am
ANKARA, Turkey - President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is presiding over the first meeting of Turkey's new Cabinet led by a trusted ally, in a clear sign that he intends to maintain influence on the running of government.
- Turkish minister: EU membership not Turkey's 'only option' Updated: May-25-16 8:45 am
ANKARA, Turkey - A top Turkish official says Turkey's EU membership is important but is not the country's "only option."
- Complaint alleges Texas charter schools abusing visa program Updated: May-24-16 6:38 pm
A complaint filed Tuesday with Texas education officials accuses a charter-school network of abusing a visa program to import large numbers of Turkish teachers and violating state and federal laws by paying them more than American teachers.
- UN laments absence of G-7 from key humanitarian summit Updated: May-24-16 1:46 pm
ISTANBUL, Turkey - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday criticized the leaders of the world's wealthiest countries for failing to attend a pivotal humanitarian summit in Turkey which culminated with a long list of commitments and question marks over their implementation.
- Correction: Cyprus-Parliament-Elections story Updated: May-23-16 2:32 pm
NICOSIA, Cyprus - In one version of a story May 22 about parliamentary elections in Cyprus, The Associated Press erroneously switched the descriptions of northern and southern Cyprus.
- Turkey: plane searched over bomb threat Updated: May-23-16 12:10 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish Airlines says authorities at Istanbul's main airport have searched a plane bound for the central Turkish city of Kayseri over a bomb threat, the latest in a series of hoax scares targeting the company.
- Turkish Americans unveil statue of homeland's founder Updated: May-23-16 10:12 am
NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Its president may be trying to move Turkey toward an Islamic-leaning government, but the Turkish Americans gathered last week wanted nothing to do with it.
- Hospital attack caught on camera shows cost of Syrian war Updated: May-23-16 2:56 am
BEIRUT - In the final minutes of his life, Dr. Mohammed Wassim Maaz was making late-night rounds at the children's ward at Quds Hospital in Syria's northern city of Aleppo. Closed-circuit video showed him padding down a corridor in his green scrubs before disappearing off-camera.
- Merkel expresses concern about situation of Kurds in Turkey Updated: May-22-16 12:44 pm
BERLIN - Ahead of her visit to Turkey, German Chancellor Angela Merkel says "some developments in Turkey fill us with big worries."
- Pope asks followers to pray for Turkey humanitarian summit Updated: May-22-16 7:30 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has asked for prayers so that participants at a humanitarian summit in Turkey fully commit to achieve what he defines as their main aim: saving the life of every human being.
- Refugees tell of being pushed back into Greece from Balkans Updated: May-20-16 6:59 am
IDOMENI, Greece - Anwar Ismail Murad passed almost effortlessly along what has become known as the Balkan route, heading north from Greece to Macedonia, through Serbia, Croatia and on to Slovenia. He reached there on Feb. 14, when the border was still open, but that's where his dream abruptly died.
- HRW: World leaders must press Turkey to allow in Syrians Updated: May-20-16 5:08 am
ISTANBUL - Human Rights Watch is urging participants at an international summit to be held in Istanbul next week to press Turkey to reopen its border to Syrian asylum-seekers.
- IS suspect blows himself up during police raid in Turkey Updated: May-19-16 4:46 pm
ISTANBUL - A Turkish official says a suspected Islamic State militant blew himself up during a police raid in the southeastern city of Gaziantep.
- German Parliament speaker criticizes Erdogan over immunity Updated: May-19-16 4:04 am
BERLIN - The speaker of Germany's Parliament is criticizing Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over a push to strip legislators in Turkey of their immunity from prosecution.