- Qatar royal sentenced by Prague court Updated: Oct-08-15 11:48 am
PRAGUE - A Prague court has convicted a Qatari royal family member of sexually abusing minors and sentenced him to 11 months and eight days in prison.
- In Hayatou, FIFA gets another controversial strongman Updated: Oct-08-15 9:36 am
With Sepp Blatter suspended, the top job at FIFA falls automatically to Issa Hayatou, the son of a sultan from northern Cameroon who has ruled African soccer for 27 years.
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: Oct-01-15 11:00 pm
Gunman opens fire at Oregon community college before dying in shootout; at least 9 dead
- Europe, US split over form of Syria talks Updated: Oct-01-15 11:17 am
UNITED NATIONS - Nine nations or five? In speeches at this year's U.N. gathering of world leaders, major powers are increasing calls for multilateral negotiations to end the war in Syria. But Europe and the United States are split on who should be at the table.
- Convicted Al-Jazeera journalists appeal to Egypt for pardons Updated: Sep-29-15 6:33 pm
NEW YORK - Three journalists convicted of aiding a terrorist organization while covering Egyptian unrest for Al-Jazeera publicly appealed to Egypt's president on Tuesday to pardon them.
- Qatar sovereign fund plans $35 billion in US investments Updated: Sep-28-15 10:06 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar's government investment fund is making a big bet on the U.S. economy.
- Allies to antagonists: Blatter and Platini await FIFA fates Updated: Sep-27-15 1:30 pm
ZURICH - Before protege turned protagonist, Michel Platini was inseparable from Sepp Blatter, as if they had a telepathic partnership on a football field.
- A quick Q&A on issues ahead for FIFA, Blatter and Platini Updated: Sep-25-15 6:21 pm
ZURICH - FIFA sank deeper into a crisis on Friday that threatened to take down the two most powerful men in world football.
- Qatar confident heat no factor at next year's worlds Updated: Sep-25-15 11:52 am
RICHMOND, Virginia - Officials from Qatar and cycling's governing body are confident the desert nation will stage a memorable world championships in its first trip to the Middle East next year.
- FIFA makes decisions before Blatter is interrogated Updated: Sep-25-15 11:44 am
ZURICH - Despite hastily canceling a news conference scheduled with President Sepp Blatter after the surprise arrival of Swiss federal police at its headquarters, FIFA did make some decisions during its two-day executive committee meeting that ended Friday.
- FIFA picks Nov. 21 as kickoff for 28-day World Cup in Qatar Updated: Sep-25-15 9:12 am
ZURICH - The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will start on Monday, Nov. 21, kicking off a 28-day tournament that will finish on Sunday, Dec. 18.
- In a Mideast upset by cheap oil, more crude may enter market Updated: Sep-19-15 3:30 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Across a Mideast fueled by oil production, low global prices have some countries running on empty and scrambling to cover shortfalls, even as more regional crude is on tap to enter the market.
- US airlines step up campaign against rivals from Middle East Updated: Sep-18-15 5:24 pm
The CEOs of American Airlines and Delta Air Lines met with Secretary of State John Kerry as they stepped up their fight against what they say is unfair competition from the three biggest Middle East airlines.
- Police: Qatari sheikh left US with his speeding Ferrari Updated: Sep-18-15 3:29 pm
BEVERLY HILLS, California - A Ferrari caught on video zooming through a Beverly Hills neighborhood last weekend is owned by a Middle Eastern sheikh who has since left the country and taken his million-dollar sports car with him, authorities say.
- After challenging Gatlin, Ogunode clocks 9.93 in Rieti Updated: Sep-13-15 1:19 pm
RIETI, Italy - Signaling he could be a man to watch in the sprints next year, Nigerian-born Qatar runner Femi Ogunode comfortably won the 100 meters in 9.93 seconds at the Rieti World Challenge meeting Sunday.