- AP Interview: Qatar energy minister wants 'fair' oil price Updated: May-24-16 11:02 am
DOHA, Qatar - The oil market is slowly recovering from its steep drop over the past two years but crude is still not trading at a "fair price" to encourage necessary investment, Qatar's energy and industry minister said Tuesday, ahead of next week's meeting of OPEC producers.
- AP Interview: Argentinian FM envisions 'inspirational' UN Updated: May-22-16 2:25 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The latest candidate to enter the race to become the next United Nations secretary-general said Sunday the world body must become more inspirational and geared toward finding ways to tackle emerging new challenges.
- UN chief urges Mideast states to press for Syria transition Updated: May-21-16 4:17 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The United Nations chief used a visit to Qatar on Saturday to call on Middle Eastern countries and world powers to press Syria's warring parties to turn their attention to a political transition in the war-torn nation.
- Qatar World Cup head: Blatter US support should be looked at Updated: May-19-16 9:38 pm
LONDON - Sepp Blatter's support for the American World Cup bid should face more scrutiny, the head of Qatar's 2022 organizing committee said on Thursday in his latest expression of frustration at the focus on the probity of their winning campaign.
- Ginola in light-hearted mood after being hospitalized Updated: May-19-16 2:25 pm
PARIS - Former France player David Ginola gave reassuring news and joked about the World Cup being organized in Qatar after suffering a heat stroke.
- Spanish club Villarreal signs young Qatar striker Afif Updated: May-19-16 6:05 am
MADRID - Villarreal says it has signed the Spanish league's first Qatari player, 19-year-old striker Akram Afif.
- Delta to end sponsorship of Atlanta's Fox over rival airline Updated: May-18-16 9:48 am
ATLANTA - Delta Air Lines will not continue its sponsorship of Atlanta's Fox Theatre after a rival airline rented the facility for an event.
- International players criticize labor conditions in Qatar Updated: May-17-16 5:56 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - International players from Denmark and Norway have criticized conditions in Qatar for migrant workers building projects linked to the 2022 World Cup.
- Moody's downgrades Saudi Arabia on lower oil prices Updated: May-14-16 11:08 pm
NEW YORK - Saudi Arabia's credit rating has been downgraded by Moody's because of the long and deep slump in oil prices.
- IOC in contact with prosecutors amid Tokyo payment report Updated: May-11-16 1:52 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - The IOC said Wednesday it remains in contact with French prosecutors following allegations of a secret $1.5 million payment made during Tokyo's winning bid for the 2020 Olympics.
- 2026 World Cup hosts vote in 2020 with new FIFA bid rules Updated: May-10-16 6:44 pm
MEXICO CITY - The 2026 World Cup hosts will be decided in a FIFA vote in 2020 after bidding countries will undergo stringent new checks on their suitability to stage the soccer showpiece.
- Emirates airline says profits are up amid lower oil prices Updated: May-10-16 11:46 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - The Middle East's biggest airline, Emirates, said Tuesday its profits were up by about 56 percent to $1.9 billion in the last fiscal year largely due to lower oil prices that drove down fuel costs.
- Spanish reporter freed from Syria is relieved and grateful Updated: May-09-16 11:33 am
MADRID - One of the three Spanish freelance journalists released after nearly 10 months of captivity in Syria said Monday he feels like he is "walking on air" after being reunited with his family in Spain - a reunion made possible by help from Turkey and Qatar.
- Kerry arrives in Paris for Syria talks Updated: May-09-16 6:40 am
PARIS - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has arrived in Paris for talks on the conflict in Syria and will be meeting with French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
- Egypt court recommends death for 2 Al-Jazeera employees Updated: May-07-16 2:07 pm
CAIRO - An Egyptian court on Saturday recommended the death sentence against six people, including two Al-Jazeera employees, for allegedly passing documents related to national security to Qatar and the Doha-based TV network during the rule of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.
- Semenya early Olympic 800 favorite after winning in Doha Updated: May-06-16 5:02 pm
DOHA, Qatar - Caster Semenya made herself the early Olympic front-runner by easily winning the women's 800 meters in the Doha Diamond League meet on Friday.
- France to host meeting over Syria next week Updated: May-06-16 12:51 pm
PARIS - France has announced it will host a ministerial meeting of 10 countries over the situation in Syria next week.
- WADA suspends accreditation of Africa's only doping lab Updated: May-03-16 2:03 pm
MONTREAL - The World Anti-Doping Agency on Tuesday suspended the accreditation of the drug-testing laboratory in South Africa, the only accredited facility in Africa, until after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
- Qatar bank says some leaked customer data may be accurate Updated: May-01-16 12:08 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Qatar's largest bank acknowledged Sunday that some personal customer data that was leaked online may be authentic, and said it has hired an outside expert to review potential vulnerabilities to its computer systems.
- Worker dies after falling ill at World Cup stadium site Updated: Apr-30-16 5:03 pm
DOHA, Qatar - World Cup organizers say a worker has died after falling ill on the site of one of the stadiums being constructed for the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
- Allyson Felix out of Doha meet with minor ankle injury Updated: Apr-28-16 5:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - Organizers say Olympic 200-meter champion Allyson Felix has pulled out of the Diamond League meet in Doha next week because of a "minor" ankle injury she picked up in training.
- Kazakh hurdler Soprunova banned 4 years for doping Updated: Apr-27-16 7:54 am
MOSCOW - Kazakh hurdler Anastasia Soprunova has been given a four-year doping ban and will lose her gold medal from the Asian indoor championships.