- Half-built twin towers in Jordan's capital to be completed Updated: May-23-16 9:06 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Half-built twin towers have blighted the Amman skyline for years, a symbol of mega-construction schemes gone awry and a potential turn-off for investors.
- The Latest: Pakistan informed of drone hit on Taliban leader Updated: May-22-16 1:16 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Latest on the killing of Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Akhtar Mansour in a drone strike (all times local):
- Iraq: Border with Jordan to open soon, after year of closure Updated: May-21-16 9:25 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Iraq's border crossing with Jordan is expected to open in about two weeks, after an almost year-long closure, allowing for a resumption of vital trade and a return of Iraqi refugees, an Iraqi diplomat said Saturday.
- IMF announces $5.4B loan over 3 years to Iraq Updated: May-19-16 10:22 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The International Monetary Fund said Thursday that it is lending $5.4 billion over three years to cash-strapped Iraq, which has been hit hard by a sharp drop in oil prices.
- Gazans say Jordan restricting movement Updated: May-16-16 2:37 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Gazans who endured a border blockade by neighboring Egypt and Israel for almost a decade thought they were finally catching a break when Israel slightly eased restrictions on travel from the Hamas-ruled territory in recent months.
- US envoy in anti-IS battle: 'perverse caliphate' shrinking Updated: May-15-16 5:12 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The Obama administration's diplomatic point man in the fight against the Islamic State group said Sunday that the extremists have been losing control over territory and that "this perverse caliphate is shrinking."
- Seattleites help Syrian refugees here and overseas Updated: May-14-16 3:05 am
SEATTLE - Su Olsen did not know where she was going, though she was leaving in a week. It would be somewhere in Greece, she knew that much. The 70-year-old jewelry maker from Bainbridge Island had been so moved upon reading about the refugees flooding there from Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East that she decided she had to help, in person, the Seattle Times reported (http://bit.ly/23HP3Bb).
- Report: 27.8 million people internally displaced last year Updated: May-11-16 4:50 am
AMMAN, Jordan - A major aid agency said Wednesday that 27.8 million people around the world were internally displaced by conflicts and natural disasters last year, calling it a global crisis.
- Israel defends program to bring in Jordanian hotel workers Updated: May-09-16 12:34 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel on Monday defended a program that brings Jordanian day workers into its tourism industry against criticism in Jordan from those who oppose normalizing ties with the Jewish State.
- US general: More cross-border cooperation needed to fight IS Updated: May-09-16 10:09 am
AMMAN, Jordan - The new commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command says an international coalition of special forces fighting Islamic State extremists must cooperate more closely and "adapt faster than the enemy."
- Jordan detained 10 journalists in 2015, watchdog group says Updated: May-07-16 10:59 am
AMMAN, Jordan - A group monitoring restrictions on the media says 10 Jordanian journalists were detained in 2015, the highest number in years.
- Candidate for next UN chief asks to meet Security Council Updated: May-05-16 2:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Croatia's former foreign minister, who is campaigning to be the next secretary-general of the United Nations, said she has asked to meet members of the U.N. Security Council who will make the final decision.
- Some 59,000 Syrians, a new high, stranded on Jordan border Updated: May-04-16 2:40 pm
HADALAT, Jordan - The number of Syrian refugees gathered in remote desert areas on the Jordanian border and waiting to enter the kingdom has risen to a new high of 59,000, the commander of Jordan's Border Guard Forces said Wednesday.
- Global gender gap in politics wide, women legislators say Updated: May-04-16 2:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Encouraging women to enter local politics, setting quotas in parliaments and pushing legislation on gender equality help narrow gender gaps in politics, participants at a conference of women lawmakers said Wednesday.
- In Jordan's spring desert bloom, hints of human history Updated: May-04-16 10:04 am
WADI EL-QATTAFI, Jordan - For a brief time, Jordan's eastern desert blooms. The dozens of mesas commanding the bleak horizons are now skirted with vegetation.
- Survey finds bribery runs highest among courts in Mideast Updated: May-03-16 1:44 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A new report released on Tuesday by an anti-corruption watchdog shows that on average, almost a third of the people in nine countries surveyed in the Middle East have had to pay a bribe to access some kind of public service.
- Jordan lifts ban on performance by popular Lebanese band Updated: Apr-29-16 5:07 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan is permitting a popular Lebanese rock band to perform, lifting an earlier ban imposed amid claims the group's songs promoting religious and sexual freedom violate local customs and religious beliefs.
- Israel tells Jordan it is acting responsibly at major shrine Updated: Apr-25-16 1:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan has urged Israel to keep Israeli "settlers" from a Muslim-run shrine that also ranks as Judaism's holiest site.