- New hospital in Jordan treats worst of Mideast's war-wounded Updated: Aug-27-15 4:34 am
AMMAN, Jordan - They are among the most tragically wounded from the Middle East's multiple wars. A 14-year-old Syrian girl whose lower legs were torn off by a shell. A 15-year-old Iraqi boy who was severely burned in a car bomb explosion.
- Syrian refugee mothers care, fear for newborns Updated: Aug-25-15 5:47 am
MAFRAQ, Jordan - Here among the tents of this informal camp for Syrian refugees in Jordan, pregnant mothers have given birth to children they struggle to care for amid sandstorms and crushing poverty.
- UN official: 'New mantra' is to keep teen girls in school Updated: Aug-22-15 7:31 am
MADABA, Jordan - The "new mantra" of the U.N. Population Fund is to keep girls in school until age 18 "in every nook and cranny of the world" to protect their rights and slow population growth, the head of the agency said.
- Jordan's second-largest Syria refugee camp gets school, well Updated: Aug-19-15 11:44 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Jordan's second-largest refugee camp for Syrian refugees now has a water well and a new school.
- AP Interview: Jordan says Syria militants try to sneak in Updated: Aug-16-15 1:58 pm
ON THE SYRIA BORDER, Jordan - Militants have tried to sneak into Jordan from Syria by blending in with Syrian refugees, while smugglers have stepped up efforts to bring weapons and drugs into the kingdom, the commander of Jordan's Border Guard said in an interview Sunday.
- Father: New Jersey man had no intent to join Islamic State Updated: Aug-11-15 2:19 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - A New Jersey man who allegedly plotted with others to fight alongside Islamic State extremists had "no serious intentions" to join the group, his Jordanian father said Tuesday.
- Correction: NJ Terror Plot Charge story Updated: Aug-11-15 12:19 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - In a story Aug. 10 about a New Jersey man charged with attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State group, The Associated Press reported erroneously when he traveled to the Middle East. He went in May 2015, not last year.
- Father: New Jersey man had no intent to join Islamic State Updated: Aug-11-15 12:04 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The Jordanian father of a New Jersey man who allegedly plotted with others to fight alongside Islamic State extremists says his son had "no serious intentions" to join the group.
- AP Interview: UN food aid chief says Syria funding 'bleak' Updated: Aug-11-15 3:37 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Funding prospects are "bleak" and impoverished Syrian refugees face more cuts in food aid, the head of the World Food Program said in an interview, after inspecting the bare refrigerator of a refugee family and meeting boys forced to swap school for work to help their families survive.
- Iraqi Christians who fled IS living in limbo while in exile Updated: Aug-09-15 9:59 am
FUHEIS, Jordan - A year after tens of thousands of Iraqi Christians fled communities overtaken by Islamic State militants, their lives are on hold in exile: They won't go back to Iraq, saying it's not safe for Christians, but as refugees they're barred from working in temporary asylum countries such as Jordan. Expectations of quick resettlement to the West have been dashed.
- Jordan tries to stem IS-style extremism in schools, mosques Updated: Aug-07-15 2:24 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - In pro-Western Jordan, a leader in the fight against Islamic State militants, school books warn students they risk "God's torture" if they don't embrace Islam. They portray "holy war" as a religious obligation if Islamic lands are attacked and suggest it is justified to kill captured enemies.
- After 3 years, Jordan refugee camp for Syrians now a city Updated: Aug-02-15 7:49 am
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Only empty desert three years ago, the Mideast's largest camp for Syrian civil war refugees has grown from a town of tents into a bustling city.
- UK police confirm 3 bin Ladens killed in England plane crash Updated: Aug-01-15 11:04 am
LONDON - Three relatives of the late al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden were among four people killed when a private jet crashed on landing in southern England, British police confirmed Saturday.