- After 3 years, Jordan refugee camp for Syrians now a city Updated: Aug-02-15 7:49 am
ZAATARI REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Only empty desert three years ago, the Mideast's largest camp for Syrian civil war refugees has grown from a town of tents into a bustling city.
- UK police confirm 3 bin Ladens killed in England plane crash Updated: Aug-01-15 11:04 am
LONDON - Three relatives of the late al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden were among four people killed when a private jet crashed on landing in southern England, British police confirmed Saturday.
- World Food Program cuts aid to Syrian refugees in Jordan Updated: Jul-31-15 1:02 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - The World Food Program announced new cuts Friday in food aid for Syrian refugees in Jordan, highlighting a growing funding crisis of international agencies helping millions displaced by Syria's conflict.
- Youngest refugees bear brunt of Syrian war woes Updated: Jul-30-15 5:09 am
MAFRAQ, Jordan - Gathered on the desert floor, the Askar family chants prayers for their 1-year-old daughter Jawahir, who died of malnutrition and is buried beneath the sands of their informal refugee camp far from their Syrian hometown.
- Jordan court sentences 8 in alleged Hezbollah attack plot Updated: Jul-29-15 1:37 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - An official says Jordan's state security court handed down prison terms for eight defendants in an alleged plot by Lebanon's Hezbollah militia to attack U.S. troops and Israel's embassy in Jordan.
- Jordan court sentences 12 in alleged Hamas plot Updated: Jul-28-15 1:26 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - A government official says Jordan's state security court sentenced 12 defendants to prison terms ranging from one to 15 years in what local media described as a plot by the Islamic militant Hamas group to carry out attacks in the West Bank.
- Defense Secretary Carter meeting with Kurds in Iraq Updated: Jul-24-15 7:35 am
IRBIL, Iraq - U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter held talks Friday with Iraqi Kurdish leaders in their regional capital of Irbil, seeking insights to their military successes against the Islamic State.
- Carter, Netanyahu call it a day after discussing Iran deal Updated: Jul-21-15 2:47 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - In high-stakes talks aimed at calming U.S. allies' fears about the Iran nuclear deal, Defense Secretary Ash Carter appeared to change no minds among Israeli leaders fiercely opposed to the deal.
- Jordanians question Chattanooga shooter's family in Mideast Updated: Jul-21-15 9:53 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordanian officials are questioning relatives of the shooter in last week's killing of five U.S. servicemen in Tennessee at a military recruiting office and a Navy-Marine operations center, a Jordanian official said Tuesday.
- Iraq closes border crossing with Jordan until further notice Updated: Jul-16-15 11:59 am
BAGHDAD - Iraq closed its border with Jordan until further notice, in part to deprive Islamic State militants of taxes they impose on cargo trucks driving through their territory, a senior Iraqi military official said Thursday.
- Malala: 'Stingy' world must boost aid to Syrian refugees Updated: Jul-13-15 11:06 am
AZRAQ REFUGEE CAMP, Jordan - Rich countries should spend less on weapons in the Syrian civil war and more on education, Nobel Peace Prize laureate Malala Yousafzai said Monday, calling world leaders "quite stingy" as she toured a camp for the conflict's refugees.
- More than 4 million refugees have now fled Syria, UN says Updated: Jul-09-15 10:25 am
ISTANBUL - More than 4 million Syrians have fled abroad since the 2011 outbreak of civil war, the largest number from any crisis in almost 25 years, the United Nations said Thursday.
- State media: Jordan arrests terror suspect with explosives Updated: Jul-06-15 9:14 am
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan's state media say the security forces have arrested a man with purported links to an Iranian group on suspicion he planned to carry out terror attacks in the kingdom.
- Pair of lions kept as pets by Gaza family arrive in Jordan Updated: Jul-05-15 3:28 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Two young lions that had been kept as pets in a Gaza refugee camp traveled Sunday to Jordan where their final destination will be a wildlife sanctuary.