- Israel treads carefully with claim to Golan Updated: Apr-28-16 5:06 pm
JERUSALEM - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has sparked a new diplomatic brushfire by declaring that the Golan Heights, seized from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war, is and should remain "under Israel's sovereignty permanently."
- Israelis, Palestinians differ on shooting after teens killed Updated: Apr-28-16 4:02 pm
QATANA, West Bank - Palestinian siblings gunned down at a West Bank checkpoint after approaching Israeli troops - with knives, according to Israel - were needlessly killed and could have been subdued without deadly force, their parents, witnesses and an Israeli lawmaker said Thursday.
- Israel rejects French peace effort proposal Updated: Apr-28-16 12:22 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel has rejected a French initiative aimed at restarting peace efforts with the Palestinians, saying direct negotiations are the best way to reach a final agreement between the sides.
- UK's Labour suspends ex-London mayor in anti-Semitism row Updated: Apr-28-16 9:37 am
LONDON - Britain's main opposition Labour Party, facing growing criticism over perceived anti-Semitism in its ranks, suspended former London Mayor Ken Livingstone on Thursday over his comments in defense of a lawmaker who made anti-Israel posts on social media.
- UN to meet on May 6 on protection of Palestinian civilians Updated: Apr-27-16 11:55 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council will hold an informal meeting on May 6 on the protection of Palestinian civilians, an issue the Palestinians have pressed for decades and say is more needed now than ever.
- Trump struggles to explain 'America first' foreign policy Updated: Apr-27-16 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump strained to lay out a clear vision of his "America first" foreign policy on Wednesday, vowing to substitute hard-headed realism for what he called a post-Cold War era replete with U.S. national security failures.
- Israel silencing detained Palestinian journalist, says wife Updated: Apr-26-16 12:36 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The wife of a detained Palestinian journalist said Tuesday that Israel is trying to silence him.
- Muhammad Salah, acquitted of supporting Hamas, dead at 62 Updated: Apr-25-16 6:13 pm
CHICAGO - Muhammad Salah, a suburban Chicago man who fought off charges he supported Hamas, has died. He was 62.
- Israel tells Jordan it is acting responsibly at major shrine Updated: Apr-25-16 1:07 pm
AMMAN, Jordan - Jordan has urged Israel to keep Israeli "settlers" from a Muslim-run shrine that also ranks as Judaism's holiest site.
- Small number of Muslims backing Trump see past his bluster Updated: Apr-25-16 3:44 am
DETROIT - As a Donald Trump supporter, Nedal Tamer feels he's in the minority among Muslim-Americans, comfortable with his choice yet somewhat confounded that he doesn't have more company.
- Jewish women pray at Jerusalem holy site, angering rabbi Updated: Apr-24-16 8:36 am
JERUSALEM - A liberal women's group held a special Passover prayer service on Sunday at a Jerusalem holy site, drawing criticism from the site's ultra-Orthodox rabbi, who called it a "provocation."
- Israel says Istanbul bomber did not target Israelis Updated: Apr-24-16 8:11 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's counterterrorism bureau says the suicide bomber who killed three Israeli tourists in Istanbul last month did not specifically target Israelis but was taking aim at tourism in Turkey in general.
- French minister says Paris meeting for Mideast peace needed Updated: Apr-22-16 7:38 am
PARIS - The French foreign minister has confirmed that Paris will host an international meeting on May 30 to try to restart peace efforts between Palestinians and Israel - even though both sides will be absent.
- Talks stalled, Syrian opposition to stay in Geneva next week Updated: Apr-22-16 2:00 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and peace talks in Geneva (all times local):
- Palestinians back French meeting on Israel-Palestinian peace Updated: Apr-21-16 3:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Palestinians said Thursday they strongly support a French initiative to hold a ministerial meeting, probably on May 30, as a first step to an international conference aimed at reviving the long-stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace process.
- UNESCO resolution on Jerusalem stirs Israeli anger Updated: Apr-21-16 12:52 pm
PARIS - The Israeli government and Jewish groups have expressed outrage at a resolution adopted by the U.N. cultural agency that put the Western Wall Plaza in quotation marks, described Jewish sites as "so-called" and even claimed that some Jewish graves were bogus.
- Lt. Gov. Kleefisch calls Israel trip a success Updated: Apr-21-16 12:17 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch is calling her recently completed trip to Israel a "unique success."
- Future of Palestinian town bleak after Israel shuts quarries Updated: Apr-21-16 11:57 am
BEIT FAJAR, West Bank - The future of the Palestinian town of Beit Fajar looks bleak after Israel's military forced the shutdown of some three dozen quarries in the area, endangering 3,500 jobs and paralyzing the dominant local industry.
- Catholic Pole unmasked as impostor in Jewish community Updated: Apr-21-16 11:20 am
WARSAW, Poland - A Jewish leader in Poland said Thursday that her community was deceived by a Polish Catholic man who pretended to be an Orthodox Jew, wearing a beard and payots - curly sideburns in front of the ears - and leading prayers in Hebrew.
- Jewish family makes claims to prized Passover manuscript Updated: Apr-21-16 9:28 am
JERUSALEM - The grandchildren of one of the earliest Jewish victims of the Nazis are laying claim to a jewel of Israel's top museum: the world's oldest illustrated Passover manuscript.
- Florida official, 42, gets belated bar mitzvah in Jerusalem Updated: Apr-20-16 5:54 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - It took 29 years, but Florida Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera finally had a bar mitzvah.
- Israeli general warns of 'devastating war' with Hezbollah Updated: Apr-20-16 3:53 pm
JERUSALEM - A top Israeli military leader on Wednesday issued a stern warning to the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, saying any future war between the two enemies will unleash "devastating" damage on Lebanon.
- Reynolds meets prime minister of Israel during overseas trip Updated: Apr-20-16 11:31 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds says she met with the prime minister of Israel during a recent trade mission to the country.
- Islamic group condemns Israeli premier's remarks on Golan Updated: Apr-20-16 10:10 am
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - The Organization of Islamic Cooperation has condemned comments by Israel's prime minister that the Golan Heights "will forever remain in Israeli hands."
- Palestinian sister-city proposal stirs rancor in Colorado Updated: Apr-20-16 10:04 am
BOULDER, Colorado - This peaceful university town is 7,000 miles from the violence of the Middle East, but a proposal to become sister cities with a Palestinian community has stirred such rancor that the City Council is trying to negotiate a truce among its own residents.