- Cardin's opposition to Iran deal sets back White House hopes Updated: Sep-04-15 6:17 pm
WASHINGTON - White House hopes for stopping a congressional challenge to the Iran nuclear deal and sparing President Barack Obama from using a veto suffered a blow Friday when a key Senate Democrat announced his opposition.
- Clinton: I didn't 'stop and think' about email system Updated: Sep-04-15 4:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday her use of a private email system at the State Department wasn't the "best choice" and acknowledged she didn't "stop and think" about her email set-up when she became President Barack Obama's secretary of state in 2009.
- Obama says US, Saudis want functioning government in Yemen Updated: Sep-04-15 1:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Hosting Saudi Arabia's new monarch for the first time, President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. shares King Salman's desire for an inclusive, functioning government in Yemen that can relieve that impoverished Arab country's humanitarian crisis. Their talks also addressed the Iran nuclear deal, a source of lingering tension in the U.S.-Saudi relationship.
- Maryland's Cardin to oppose Iran nuclear deal Updated: Sep-04-15 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Maryland Sen. Ben Cardin, the top Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, has announced he opposes the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Trump says he would improve Iran deal, not repudiate it Updated: Sep-04-15 8:29 am
WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump says it would make no sense to "repudiate" the nuclear arms deal with Iran.
- At a Berlin church, Muslim refugees converting in droves Updated: Sep-04-15 4:32 am
BERLIN - Mohammed Ali Zonoobi bends his head as the priest pours holy water over his black hair. "Will you break away from Satan and his evil deeds?" pastor Gottfried Martens asks the Iranian refugee. "Will you break away from Islam?"
- Senate hopeful Cortez Masto announces support for Iran deal Updated: Sep-03-15 8:51 pm
LAS VEGAS - Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Catherine Cortez Masto has come out in favor of the nuclear agreement with Iran.
- Japan beats Cambodia 3-0 in World Cup qualifier Updated: Sep-03-15 5:29 pm
SAITAMA, Japan - Japan eased past Cambodia 3-0 to secure its first win in World Cup qualifying while South Korea thrashed Laos 8-0 to stay undefeated on Thursday.
- ND Democrat Heitkamp backs Obama on Iran nuclear deal Updated: Sep-03-15 4:48 pm
BISMARCK, North Dakota - Democratic U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp announced her support Thursday for President Barack Obama's Iran nuclear deal, a politically risky move in a Republican-dominated state where she is weighing a run for governor.
- Iran's top leader: No nuclear deal unless sanctions lifted Updated: Sep-03-15 4:01 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's supreme leader said Thursday "there will be no deal" if world powers insist on suspending rather than lifting sanctions as part of a landmark nuclear agreement, and said it is up to Iran's parliament, and not him, to approve or reject it.
- Iran Parliament speaker expects heated debate on nuke deal Updated: Sep-03-15 3:48 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Iran's Parliament speaker said Thursday he expects a heated debate among Iranian lawmakers before they vote on the nuclear deal between his country and six world powers in about a month.
- White House welcomes Senate support of Iran nuclear deal Updated: Sep-02-15 4:25 pm
ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE - The White House says it's encouraged that more than a third of the Senate has announced support for the nuclear deal with Iran.
- Former Senator Gary Hart: Bennet will back Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 1:50 pm
DENVER - Former Senator Gary Hart thinks Colorado's current senior senator will soon back the Iran deal.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-02-15 1:05 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to limit Iran's nuclear program in exchange for hundreds of billions of dollars in relief from international sanctions.
- In Philadelphia, Kerry seeks support for Iran nuke deal Updated: Sep-02-15 11:04 am
PHILADELPHIA - Secretary of State John Kerry is bringing the Obama administration's campaign for public and congressional support for the Iran nuclear deal to Philadelphia.
- Iranian hard-liners unveil anti-US plaque at former embassy Updated: Sep-02-15 10:08 am
TEHRAN, Iran - More than a dozen hard-line Iranian students have unveiled an anti-American plaque at the gate of the former U.S. Embassy in Tehran.
- Afghan migrant hopes to complete father's flight from war Updated: Sep-02-15 5:59 am
MORIA, Greece - Three decades after his father fled war in Afghanistan to seek safety in Iran, Abdullah Bakhshi is now on the next leg of his family's long journey to a better life, and part of the largest tide of migrants since World War II.
- Kerry to outline US assurances to Israel, Gulf to lawmakers Updated: Sep-01-15 11:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry will send a letter to all members of Congress on Wednesday outlining U.S. security commitments to Israel and the Gulf Arab states in light of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Congressman Elijah Cummings supports nuclear deal with Iran Updated: Sep-01-15 2:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Maryland Congressman Elijah E. Cummings says he will support a proposed nuclear deal with Iran.
- A look at what migrants are carrying with them to Europe Updated: Sep-01-15 1:53 pm
ROSZKE, Hungary - To survive days on end of walking and improvised camping in harsh weather, they must concentrate on essentials: pain medicine, foot powder and first aid, food and personal hygiene items. The savviest have smartphones with backup battery power and SIM cards that work in the countries they're passing through. Otherwise, they can end up walking in circles without satellite navigation, particularly at night, when many travel to avoid police.
- Kuwait refers 26 to court following major weapons bust Updated: Sep-01-15 11:29 am
KUWAIT CITY - Kuwait's public prosecutor says his office has referred 26 people to court on allegations that include illegal weapons possession, committing acts harmful to the country's unity, and having "furtive contacts" with Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.
- Iranian Guard chief says US 'still the Great Satan' Updated: Sep-01-15 11:14 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The head of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guard said Tuesday that the U.S. is still the "Great Satan," regardless of the nuclear deal struck with Americans and world powers over the Islamic Republic's contested nuclear program.
- Michigan, Oklahoma attorneys general call for Iran sanctions Updated: Sep-01-15 8:49 am
LANSING, Michigan - The attorneys general of Michigan and Oklahoma are urging leaders in every state to impose state-based sanctions against Iran in response to a nuclear accord between Iran, the U.S. and other nations.
- Clinton, aides stressed protecting State Dept info in email Updated: Sep-01-15 1:59 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton and her aides at the State Department were acutely aware of the need to protect sensitive information when discussing international affairs over email and other forms of unsecure electronic communication, according to the latest batch of messages released by the agency from Clinton's tenure as secretary of state.
- Obama offended by attacks on Jews who back Iran deal Updated: Aug-31-15 7:00 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said people who attack Jews who support the Iran nuclear deal are like African-Americans who differ with him on policy and then conclude he's "not black enough."