- Saudi offer to send troops to Syria comes with uncertainty Updated: Feb-08-16 3:22 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Saudi Arabia's offer to send troops to fight Islamic State in Syria is as much about the kingdom's growing determination to flex its military might as it is about answering U.S. calls for more help from its allies in the Middle East.
- Iran awards medals of honor to its nuclear team Updated: Feb-08-16 9:38 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran awarded medals of honor on Monday to its nuclear negotiators, who helped clinch a landmark deal with world powers last year.
- EU foreign affairs chief announces visit to Iran Updated: Feb-06-16 9:58 am
AMSTERDAM - European Union foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini says she is preparing to visit Iran following the implementation of a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran with world powers.
- Iran body reverses ban on 1,500 election candidate Updated: Feb-06-16 6:36 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's constitutional watchdog, the hard-line Guardian Council, reversed a ban on 1,500 candidates who had registered to run in Feb. 26 parliamentary elections, state media reported on Saturday.
- Canada eases certain sanctions against Iran Updated: Feb-05-16 4:27 pm
TORONTO - Canada has dropped many of the sanctions it imposed on Iran over that country's nuclear ambitions.
- The Latest: Kerry says Russia, Assad not complying with UN Updated: Feb-05-16 4:22 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria (all times Syria local):
- Iran authorities detain former BBC Persian reporter Updated: Feb-04-16 5:41 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian authorities on Wednesday detained a former BBC Persian service reporter, an Iranian opposition website reported.
- Top Israeli general calls IS 'our enemy' Updated: Feb-03-16 9:29 am
TEL AVIV, Israel - A top Israeli general said Wednesday that the Islamic State group is "our enemy" and that Israel is sharing intelligence with allies battling the extremists despite remaining on the sidelines of Syria's civil war.
- For second time, House OKs bill targeting Iran nuclear deal Updated: Feb-02-16 6:21 pm
WASHINGTON - The House approved for the second time in three weeks a Republican-led bill targeting the landmark nuclear agreement with Iran.
- FBI creates Facebook page in Farsi for case of missing agent Updated: Feb-02-16 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The FBI has launched a Facebook page in Farsi to solicit tips on the whereabouts of Robert Levinson, a former FBI agent who went missing in Iran nine years ago.
- Cheap oil buoys consumers, shakes up global governments Updated: Feb-02-16 12:02 pm
Cheap oil will be sticking around for a while.
- Iran's stock exchange hits 1-year high after nuclear deal Updated: Feb-02-16 11:30 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The Tehran Stock Exchange has rallied to a one-year high after Iran's landmark nuclear deal with world powers went into effect last month, a spokesman for the exchange said Tuesday.
- Iran signs deal to buy 20 more airplanes Updated: Feb-02-16 9:51 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's national carrier has signed an agreement to buy 20 new passenger airplanes with an option for 20 more from French-Italian aircraft manufacturer ATR, Iranian media reported Tuesday.
- Berlin offers stars, global offerings for Streep-led jury Updated: Feb-02-16 6:40 am
BERLIN - New movies starring Colin Firth, Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst will compete for the top honors at this year's Berlin International Film Festival with offerings from Iran, Tunisia the Philippines and elsewhere, with Meryl Streep presiding over the jury that will choose the winners.
- US seeks to nix charges against Iranian man in prisoner swap Updated: Feb-01-16 4:54 pm
NEW YORK - The U.S. government urged a Manhattan judge on Monday to drop charges against an Iranian man to satisfy the terms of a prisoner swap between the countries.
- UN chief urges compromise, realism between Saudis and Iran Updated: Feb-01-16 10:11 am
MUSCAT, Oman - United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon used a stopover in the Middle East on Monday to urge Saudi Arabia and Iran to compromise and interact responsibly, seeking to calm a flare-up in tensions between the two regional rivals.
- Iran: $100B in assets 'fully released' under nuclear deal Updated: Feb-01-16 9:05 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran said Monday it now has access to more than $100 billion worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of a landmark nuclear deal with world powers.
- UN official: Iran, Israel could ratify nuke test ban treaty Updated: Jan-29-16 1:11 am
VIENNA - The head of the U.N. nuclear test ban treaty organization says arch-enemies Iran and Israel are "the closest" of the eight holdout nations to ratifying the treaty and assuring the world they will never conduct a nuclear test explosion.
- 'Mastermind' of California jail escape has long past Updated: Jan-29-16 12:01 am
SANTA ANA, California - The alleged mastermind of a brazen California jail break was a small-town paint store manager fresh out of the Marines when his life changed with a car accident. That accident killed his friend and sent him into a spiral culminating with his arrest on charges he tortured and mutilated a man, then left him to die in the desert.
- The Latest: Trump campaign says rally raised $6 million Updated: Jan-28-16 11:47 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Latest on developments from the 2016 Republican race for president, less than a week out from the Iowa caucuses (all times local):
- Freed reporter Rezaian feted by paper, top diplomat Kerry Updated: Jan-28-16 4:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Freed Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian (reh-ZY'-ahn) has triumphantly returned to his company at a ceremony that included Secretary of State John Kerry.
- Carter 'very, very angry' at Iranian video of US sailors Updated: Jan-28-16 4:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of Defense Ash Carter says Iran's videotaping of American sailors surrendering aboard their boats in the Persian Gulf earlier this month made him deeply angry.
- Car-making deals, protests greet Iranian president in Paris Updated: Jan-28-16 3:09 pm
PARIS - France's government welcomed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday with promises of a new beginning in an old relationship, starting with investments to boost Iran's flagging economy that has been crippled by decades of sanctions.
- Iran: European airlines set to resume flights to Tehran Updated: Jan-28-16 2:47 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Several European airlines aim to resume their flights to Iran following a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, the state-owned IRAN daily reported on Thursday.
- The Latest: France, Iran sign trade deals Updated: Jan-28-16 1:46 pm
PARIS - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):