- Serbia unveils monument to Gavrilo Princip Updated: Jun-28-15 5:30 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbia on Sunday unveiled a monument to Gavrilo Princip, whose assassination of the Austro-Hungarian crown prince in Sarajevo helped ignite World War I and still provokes controversy in the ethnically-divided Balkans.
- Serbia women win first EuroBasket title Updated: Jun-28-15 3:38 pm
Ana Dabovic scored 25 points and Sonja Petrovic added 22 to help Serbia beat France 76-68 on Sunday in the EuroBasket women championship game and qualify for next year's Olympics in Rio.
- Spurs take Serbian C Milutinov at No. 26 in draft Updated: Jun-26-15 12:56 am
SAN ANTONIO - Eighteen years to the day after selecting Tim Duncan, the San Antonio Spurs chose another former swimmer in the first round of the NBA draft.
- Switzerland to send former Srebrenica commander to Bosnia Updated: Jun-25-15 3:11 pm
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Swiss authorities approved on Thursday the extradition of the wartime Bosnian commander of Srebrenica to his home country rather than to Serbia, on whose war crimes warrant he was arrested two weeks ago.
- Serbia denounces Hungary's 'new Berlin Wall' Updated: Jun-25-15 9:57 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbia has denounced Hungary's insistence on building a border fence to stop the flow of illegal migrants and urged the European Union to say whether it will tolerate new man-made divisions on its territory.
- Rebel flag controversy 1 in long line of disputes worldwide Updated: Jun-23-15 5:45 pm
BERLIN - Around the world, countries have long struggled with questions about flags similar to those faced by South Carolina, which is under pressure to remove a Confederate flag from its statehouse in the wake of the shootings that killed nine people at a historic black church.
- Serbia coach hopes for national unity after World Cup win Updated: Jun-20-15 6:15 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Serbia coach Veljko Paunovic hoped his team's victory at the Under-20 World Cup will help inspire "compassion and unity" in a country still troubled by its war-torn past.
- Serbia beats Brazil 2-1 in Under-20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-20-15 3:52 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Nemanja Maksimovic scored in the 117th minute to give Serbia a surprise 2-1 win over Brazil on Saturday in the final of the Under-20 World Cup.
- Hungary's leader says Hungary will protect Europe's borders Updated: Jun-19-15 2:14 pm
BRATISLAVA, Slovakia - Hungary's plan to build a 4-meter (13-foot) high fence on the border with Serbia to stop the flow of migrants will also protect Europe, Hungary's prime minister said Friday.
- Serbian PM: If Bosnia wants, I am ready to go to Srebrenica Updated: Jun-19-15 11:46 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbia's prime minister, a former extreme nationalist, said Friday he is ready to attend memorial ceremonies next month marking the 20th anniversary of the massacre in Srebrenica where Bosnian Serbs killed nearly 8,000 Muslims during the 1992-95 war.
- Slovenia returns passport to Kosovo politician Updated: Jun-19-15 10:20 am
LJUBLJANA, Slovenia - Authorities in Slovenia say a former Kosovo guerrilla turned politician detained on a 2004 international arrest warrant issued by Serbia has been given back his passport.
- Brazil has history on its side in U20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-19-15 1:30 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Brazil will carry a significant edge in experience and a remarkable record of defensive impregnability into Saturday's final against Serbia at the Under-20 World Cup.
- Serbia 'shocked' by Hungary's plans to build border fence Updated: Jun-18-15 11:01 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - Balkan countries and the European Union on Thursday criticized Hungary's plans to build a fence along the border with Serbia to stop the flow of migrants reaching the country.
- Kosovo urges Slovenia to free former PM Updated: Jun-18-15 7:07 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - Kosovo's Prime Minister Isa Mustafa says he has urged his Slovenian counterpart to speed up the return of former guerrilla turned politician, Ramush Haradinaj, detained on a 2004 international arrest warrant issued by Serbia.
- UN billboards counter Hungary govt's anti-migrant campaign Updated: Jun-17-15 8:54 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - One features a tour guide from Afghanistan, another a Bangladeshi woman who runs a restaurant with her husband. The United Nations' refugee agency is setting up billboards presenting successful refugees in Hungary, countering the government's intense anti-migrant campaign that it calls a catalyst for xenophobia.
- Brazil to meet Serbia in Under-20 World Cup final Updated: Jun-17-15 6:38 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Brazil beat Senegal 5-0 to join Serbia in the final of the Under-20 World Cup and to bury the nascent suspicion football's great expressionists had embarked on a new, more sober course on Wednesday.
- Serbian president cancels Bosnia visit amid dispute Updated: Jun-15-15 11:31 am
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Serbia's president has canceled a scheduled trip to Bosnia amid a diplomatic dispute over the arrest in Switzerland of a former Bosnian Muslim commander on a war crimes warrant from Belgrade.
- Mali, Senegal prepare for U20 World Cup semifinals Updated: Jun-14-15 11:50 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand - Mali may have lost to Serbia in the group stage of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, but the African team has no fear of a rematch in the semifinals.
- Mali, Senegal lead African charge at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 4:44 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - African countries captured two semifinal places at the Under-20 World Cup on Sunday as Mali and Senegal kept up their surprising run in the tournament.
- Serbia beats US in penalty thriller at U20 World Cup Updated: Jun-14-15 3:53 am
AUCKLAND, New Zealand - Serbia advanced to its maiden Under-20 World Cup semifinal Sunday with a 6-5 win on penalties over the United States.
- CAS sets target for Serbia, Albania Euro 2016 case verdicts Updated: Jun-12-15 12:03 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - A court ruling for appeals filed by the Serbian and Albanian football federation against UEFA sanctions after their European Championship qualifier was abandoned is expected by July 10.
- Kosovo art installation of dresses supports war rape victims Updated: Jun-12-15 7:47 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo - The red satin dress has a message written across the rosebud pattern: "This dress has a bitter story."
- Hungary seeks to tighten south border, hold illegal migrants Updated: Jun-09-15 11:21 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary will take steps to tighten its southern border with Serbia to stem the rising flow of migrants and asylum seekers, officials said Tuesday.
- Enticing matchups set for round of 16 at Under-20 World Cup Updated: Jun-07-15 10:20 pm
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - The group stage of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup produced a number of major surprises, goals galore and an equal number of enticing matchups in the round of 16 starting on Wednesday.
- Hungary, China sign accord on new Silk Road trade network Updated: Jun-06-15 9:54 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary and China have signed an accord to cooperate on the creation of a new Silk Road network, a Chinese plan to boost trade with Europe.