- The Latest: EU top diplomat wants immediate Syria cease-fire Updated: Feb-11-16 10:26 am
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria, the refugee crisis and security talks in Munich, Germany. (all times local):
- Kerry and Lavrov open Syria talks as countries trade barbs Updated: Feb-11-16 10:18 am
MUNICH - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov opened talks Thursday to try and reconcile deep differences over a proposed cease-fire for the Syrian civil war. They met as other U.S. and Russian officials traded allegations over bombing of civilian areas in the besieged city of Aleppo.
- Putin praises Russian military over Crimea maneuvers Updated: Feb-11-16 9:45 am
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin says the Russian military in Crimea has proven its capability during war games this week.
- Bencic beats Beck for place in St. Petersburg quarterfinals Updated: Feb-11-16 9:12 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Top-seeded Belinda Bencic struggled with her serve as she began her campaign at the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win Thursday over German opponent Annika Beck.
- Russia's ruble tumbles amid market turmoil Updated: Feb-11-16 9:03 am
MOSCOW - Russia's ruble has dropped nearly 2 percent amid the turmoil affecting global stock markets and oil prices.
- Russian deputy prime minister barred from Montenegro Updated: Feb-11-16 8:14 am
PODGORICA, Montenegro - Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has been barred from entering Montenegro, which is facing strong pressure from the Kremlin for its plans to join NATO, the country's foreign ministry said Thursday.
- Russia proposes March 1 ceasefire in Syria; US wants it now Updated: Feb-10-16 10:14 pm
MUNICH - Russia has proposed a March 1 ceasefire in Syria, U.S. officials said Wednesday, but Washington believes Moscow is giving itself and the Syrian government three weeks to try to crush moderate rebel groups.
- The Latest: Russia has held important talks with US on Syria Updated: Feb-10-16 4:03 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest developments on the war in Syria and the tens of thousands of Syrians fleeing violence (all times local):
- NATO ministers approve new reinforcements for eastern Europe Updated: Feb-10-16 3:41 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO defense ministers on Wednesday approved new multinational reinforcements to beef up defenses of frontline alliance members most at risk from Russia, the alliance's secretary-general announced.
- CSKA Moscow signs Russia captain Roman Shirokov Updated: Feb-10-16 2:44 pm
MOSCOW - Russia captain Roman Shirokov joined CSKA Moscow on a free transfer on Wednesday until the end of the season.
- Chechen leader threatens foes in bid to gain Putin's support Updated: Feb-10-16 1:07 pm
MOSCOW - The Kremlin-backed strongman of Chechnya has issued a stream of threats against Russia's liberal opposition, but his primary audience appears to be the Russian president himself.
- Turkish leaders lash out at UN demands to open border Updated: Feb-10-16 12:16 pm
KILIS, Turkey - Turkey's leaders lashed out Wednesday at the United Nations and others who are pressing the country to open its border to thousands more Syrian refugees, accusing them of failing to shoulder the refugee burden or stop the Russian bombings that have triggered the exodus.
- US says Russian campaign in Syria helping the Islamic State Updated: Feb-10-16 11:38 am
WASHINGTON - The U.S. says Russia's counterterrorism campaign in Syria is actually helping the Islamic State.
- Moscow small businesses razed, sparking anger Updated: Feb-10-16 10:36 am
MOSCOW - Russian activists and political commentators are criticizing Moscow authorities over the late-night destruction of small businesses when a number of buildings were flattened around the city on orders from city mayor's office.
- Russian opposition leader attacked with a cake in Moscow Updated: Feb-10-16 8:01 am
MOSCOW - A prominent Russian opposition figure says he was threatened by a group of men who then attacked him with a cake while he was dining at a restaurant in Moscow.
- British agency to run Russian drug-testing during suspension Updated: Feb-10-16 6:40 am
MONTREAL - The World Anti-Doping Agency says a deal has been signed for British officials to take temporary charge of drug-testing in Russia.
- Iran to purchase Sukhoi-30 fighter jets from Russia Updated: Feb-10-16 6:29 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran will sign a contract with Russia for the purchase of Sukhoi-30 fighter jets, Iran's defense minister said Wednesday.
- The Latest: FBI chief says encryption blocks investigations Updated: Feb-09-16 5:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the worldwide threat assessment from U.S. intelligence agencies (all times local):
- Intelligence officials: IS determined to strike US this year Updated: Feb-09-16 3:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Leaders of the Islamic State are determined to strike targets in the United States this year, senior U.S. intelligence officials said Tuesday, telling lawmakers that a small group of violent extremists will attempt to overcome the logistical challenges of mounting such an attack.
- Pavlyuchenkova reaches round 2 in St. Petersburg Updated: Feb-09-16 3:14 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Russia's Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova was made to fight for a place in the second round of the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy on Tuesday, beating Czech veteran Klara Koukalova in three sets.
- Putin's ex-bodyguard turned governor recalls facing bear Updated: Feb-09-16 12:28 pm
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin's former bodyguard, who recently has been appointed regional governor, said he once confronted a bear outside of Putin's residence.
- Suspension of Turkey flights costs Russian airports heavily Updated: Feb-09-16 11:09 am
MOSCOW - A top official at Russia's busiest airport says the halt or reduction of flights to Turkey, Ukraine and Egypt over the past three months has cost the country's airports six billion rubles ($77 million).
- Russian town in Siberia makes DiCaprio an ersatz Oscar Updated: Feb-09-16 9:29 am
MOSCOW - Residents of a town in Russia's Far East have been donating their gold and silver for something near and dear to their hearts: Leonardo DiCaprio.
- Russia helps Ukraine battle town rebuild, villages struggle Updated: Feb-09-16 6:45 am
NIKISHYNE, Ukraine - Polina Demyanenko's quaint white-and-green house still bears the scars of one of the fiercest battles of Ukraine's war. The roof is gone, the windows broken and the walls shredded by shrapnel.
- Rhode Island police trace 'robocall' bomb threats to Russia Updated: Feb-08-16 4:20 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - State police say a string of bomb threats that targeted schools in three Rhode Island communities left an electronic trail leading to Russia.