- Turkey president raps US, Russia, Iran for presence in Syria Updated: May-29-16 2:01 pm
ISTANBUL - Turkey's president has criticized the United States, Russia and Iran for their presence in Syria and said their unwillingness to depose Syrian President Bashar Assad was contributing to Syrians' pain.
- Israel thanks Russia for returning tank from 1982 war Updated: May-29-16 10:29 am
JERUSALEM - Israel's prime minister has thanked the Russian President for agreeing to return a tank from a battle in the 1982 Lebanon war from which three soldiers are still missing in action.
- Fire at Ukrainian home for the elderly kills 17, injures 5 Updated: May-29-16 8:44 am
MOSCOW - A fire swept through a private home for the elderly in a Ukrainian village shortly before dawn Sunday, killing 17 people and injuring five others, an emergency official said.
- Syria's cease-fire strengthens al-Qaida branch Updated: May-29-16 7:31 am
BEIRUT - Al-Qaida's branch in Syria has recruited thousands of fighters, including teenagers, and taken territory from government forces in a successful offensive in the north, illustrating how the cease-fire put in place by Russia and the United States to weaken the militants has in many ways backfired.
- In Asia Pacific, a tense game of political brinksmanship Updated: May-29-16 2:28 am
WASHINGTON - American ships and fighter jets maneuvering across the South China Sea and the Sea of Japan represent the "new normal" in U.S.-Pacific relations despite rising tensions with China and Moscow.
- Putin visits Russian Orthodox monastic community in Greece Updated: May-28-16 6:27 pm
KARYES, Greece - Russian President Vladimir Putin visited a Russian Orthodox monastery Saturday as he wrapped up a two-day visit to Greece, which is looking for more Russian investment and tourism as it copes with a prolonged financial crisis and a massive wave of migrants.
- 8 Russian athletes test positive in 2012 doping retests Updated: May-28-16 12:13 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's Olympic Committee said Saturday that eight of the country's athletes have registered positive in doping retests for the 2012 London Games.
- Savchenko: I could run for president if Ukrainians want it Updated: May-27-16 2:29 pm
MOSCOW - Nadiya Savchenko, a pilot who returned to a hero's welcome in Ukraine after two years in Russian custody, declared Friday she would run for president if that's what Ukrainians wanted.
- IOC: 23 positives in retests of samples from London Olympics Updated: May-27-16 12:01 pm
LONDON - Nearly two dozen athletes tested positive in reanalysis of their doping samples from the 2012 London Olympics, adding to the more than 30 already caught in retesting from the 2008 Beijing Games.
- Voynov named to Russian roster, status for World Cup unclear Updated: May-27-16 11:19 am
Former Los Angeles Kings defenseman Slava Voynov is no sure thing to play in the World Cup of Hockey despite being named to Russia's final roster on Friday.
- Things to know about Mount Athos: 1,500 monks, no women Updated: May-27-16 11:11 am
ATHENS, Greece - Christian Orthodox believers know Greece's heavily-forested northern peninsula of Mount Athos as the "Orchard of the Virgin Mary," but women have been strictly barred from entering it for more than a thousand years.
- Turkey: tourist numbers decline amid security worries Updated: May-27-16 10:47 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish officials say the number of foreign visitors has declined by nearly 30 percent in April amid security concerns and strained ties with Russia.
- Russia deplores US refusal to jointly fight Nusra in Syria Updated: May-27-16 9:51 am
MOSCOW - Washington's refusal to jointly fight al-Qaida's branch in Syria has contributed to an escalation of fighting in the war-torn country, Russia's Defense Ministry said Friday.
- Russian riot police halt wrestling brawl over Rio 2016 spot Updated: May-27-16 9:48 am
MOSCOW - Russian riot police had to be sent into the wrestling ring Friday when a scuffle erupted after a championship bout.
- UN agency reports Iranian has complied with nuclear deal Updated: May-27-16 9:22 am
VIENNA - Iran has corrected one violation of its landmark nuclear deal with six world powers and is honoring all other major obligations, the U.N. atomic energy agency reported Friday.
- The Latest: UN reports 'spike' in Iraqis fleeing to Syria Updated: May-27-16 9:01 am
BEIRUT - The Latest on the fighting in Syria (all times local):
- Serbia under pressure from Russia over its EU goals Updated: May-26-16 3:11 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia - Serbia's prime minister has met with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow amid reports that the Kremlin is worried about the Balkan country's attempts to join the European Union and other Western organizations like NATO.
- UN envoy to Syria: Peace talks not set to resume for weeks Updated: May-26-16 2:55 pm
GENEVA - The U.N. envoy for Syria plans a resumption of peace talks "as soon as feasible" between the government and opposition, but he set no new date and expects that it will "certainly not" come within the next two to three weeks, his office said Thursday.
- Savchenko's return heralds new turmoil in Ukraine Updated: May-26-16 12:03 pm
MOSCOW - After being freed from a Russian jail, Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko stands to emerge as a wild new force in Ukraine's already volatile politics.
- Maria Sharapova on Russia's provisional Olympic team for Rio Updated: May-26-16 10:19 am
MOSCOW - Russia has included Maria Sharapova on its preliminary team for the Olympic tennis tournament in August despite her provisional suspension for failing a drug test.
- Gorbachev barred from visiting Ukraine for Crimea remarks Updated: May-26-16 9:47 am
MOSCOW - The Ukrainian intelligence agency SBU says it has barred the last leader of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, from visiting Ukraine for the next five years.
- Russia accuses Turkey of supplying Islamic State extremists Updated: May-25-16 5:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia has accused Turkey of supplying the Islamic State extremist group with components for improvised explosive devices.
- Russian banker in spy case gets 2½ years in US prison Updated: May-25-16 5:09 pm
NEW YORK - A Russian banker who pleaded guilty to conspiracy in what the government portrayed as a Cold War-style spy ring was sentenced Wednesday to 2½ years in a U.S. prison.
- NASA's yearlong spaceman still has sore feet, fatigue Updated: May-25-16 5:09 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida - NASA's yearlong spaceman still is nursing sore feet, stiff legs and fatigue, even after nearly three months back on Earth.
- The Latest: US diplomat overjoyed at Ukraine pilot's release Updated: May-25-16 2:00 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - The Latest on Ukrainian pilot Nadezhda Savchenko (all times local):