- Russia denounces Latvian ban on news agency Updated: Aug-29-15 12:16 pm
MOSCOW - Russia says Latvia has refused permission to a Russian state news agency to open a bureau in the country - a case that Moscow says is open discrimination.
- Leaders discuss possible new Ukraine summit, France says Updated: Aug-29-15 11:37 am
BERLIN - The leaders of France, Germany and Russia have spoken by phone and are exploring the possibility of a summit with Ukraine's president about the conflict in the country's east.
- Second time around, Russian acrobat warmed up to Las Vegas Updated: Aug-29-15 9:41 am
LAS VEGAS - It was 1990, the ice of the Cold War was thawing, and Konstantin Besstchetnyi, a Soviet acrobat, was stuck in Las Vegas.
- Norwegian TV to air fictional series about Russian invasion Updated: Aug-29-15 8:08 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - In a move that has annoyed Russia, a Norwegian television channel says it will air a fictional TV drama depicting a Russian invasion of Norway after radical environmentalists seize power and freeze the Scandinavian nation's oil and gas industry.
- Carter's cancer rekindles memories of 1980 Olympic boycott Updated: Aug-29-15 3:13 am
ATLANTA - Thirty-five years after his hopes for a gold medal were dashed by Jimmy Carter's boycott of the Moscow Olympics, Craig Beardsley is at peace.
- Tallent takes shot at Russia after silver in 50K walk Updated: Aug-29-15 3:08 am
BEIJING - Already outspoken about doping in his sport, Australian race walker Jared Tallent took another shot at Russia after earning a silver medal in the 50-kilometer event Saturday at the world championships.
- Parliament group regrets Russian speaker's no show Updated: Aug-28-15 8:20 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Inter-Parliamentary Union expressed regret Friday that the speaker of Russia's upper house of Parliament will not be attending a world congress at the United Nations next week, apparently because of issues with her visa to the United States.
- Struggling Russia gets unexpected gold in 110-meter hurdles Updated: Aug-28-15 1:14 pm
BEIJING - Russian hurdler Sergey Shubenkov knows all about his country's doping scandals, he's just not paying any attention to it.
- Russian police finds stolen bas relief in right-wing attack Updated: Aug-28-15 9:56 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Police in St. Petersburg on Friday found fragments of a 100-year old bas relief depicting the mythical demon Mephistopheles which was removed from the facade of a historic building, in a possible right-wing act of revenge.
- Ukraine asks Russia for lower gas prices for winter season Updated: Aug-28-15 9:01 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine asked Russia on Friday for lower gas prices for the winter and said Moscow should accept to write off a part of its loans to Kiev, as other international bondholders did this week.
- Former European champs Ajax, Celtic grouped in Europa League Updated: Aug-28-15 8:59 am
MONACO - Former European champions Ajax and Celtic were drawn together with Fenerbahce and Molde in the Europa League groups on Friday.
- Estonia steps up surveillance along border with Russia Updated: Aug-28-15 8:13 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Estonia is planning to cover a 136-kilometer (84-mile) stretch of land along its border with Russia with state-of-art technology to combat illegal border-crossing and illicit traffic.
- Russian court convicts suspect in 1998 lawmaker murder Updated: Aug-28-15 7:55 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - A court in St. Petersburg has sentenced a former Russian lawmaker to 17 years in prison for organizing the 1998 assassination of a leading politician.
- China gets 1-2 in sporting finish to 20K walk at worlds Updated: Aug-28-15 1:29 am
BEIJING - With China's first gold of the world championships virtually assured, the only thing for teammates Liu Hong and Lu Xiuzhi to decide was who should win it.
- LA Kings sign Russian D Damir Sharipzyanov to 3-year deal Updated: Aug-27-15 5:14 pm
EL SEGUNDO, California - The Los Angeles Kings have signed defenseman Damir Sharipzyanov to a three-year contract.
- CSKA faces UEFA charge over flare landing on pitch Updated: Aug-27-15 11:47 am
MOSCOW - Russia's CSKA Moscow faces disciplinary charges after a flare was thrown onto the pitch during a Champions League game against Sporting Lisbon, UEFA said Thursday.
- Russia to launch Moscow-Beijing rally to rival Dakar Updated: Aug-27-15 10:42 am
MOSCOW - Russia's state-owned gas company Gazprom has thrown its weight behind a rival to the renowned Dakar Rally as Russia flexes its muscles in the world of motorsport.
- NATO chief: Too early to say if Georgia joins NATO Updated: Aug-27-15 10:29 am
TBILISI, Georgia - NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on a visit Thursday to Georgia that it is too early to tell whether the former Soviet republic will be invited to take the final step toward NATO membership.
- Romania gives Moldova 110 million euros on independence day Updated: Aug-27-15 7:49 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - Romania's prime minister has given Moldova 100 million euros ($117 million) in financial aid in a gesture of support for the former Soviet republic's EU membership bid.
- Finns say Russian after detained upon US request Updated: Aug-27-15 5:49 am
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Finnish officials say a Russian citizen has been detained in Finland on an international arrest warrant issued by the United States.
- Russian lawmaker wants Kerry sanctioned Updated: Aug-26-15 7:16 pm
MOSCOW - A member of Russia's upper house of parliament is calling for U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his deputies to be placed on Moscow's sanctions list.
- Musa fires CSKA past Sporting, into Champions League groups Updated: Aug-26-15 5:43 pm
KHIMKI, Russia - Ahmed Musa fired CSKA Moscow into the Champions League group stage with a late winner as the Russian team mounted a second-half comeback to beat Sporting Lisbon 3-1 on Wednesday and 4-3 on aggregate.
- Barcelona heads 32-team draw for Champions League groups Updated: Aug-26-15 5:06 pm
GENEVA - The Champions League season takes shape Thursday when UEFA draws 32 elite teams into groups in Monaco.
- Ex-Tampa Bay forward Gusev gets doping ban in Russia Updated: Aug-26-15 12:27 pm
MOSCOW - A veteran forward who played for the Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars has been banned for breaking doping rules in the latest doping case to hit Russian hockey.
- Egypt turns to Russia to combat terrorism Updated: Aug-26-15 10:31 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin and Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi on Wednesday called for a coalition to combat terrorism in the Middle East.