- Fierce battles in central Syria amid Russian airstrikes Updated: Oct-10-15 2:21 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - Syrian troops backed by Russian airstrikes seized a village in central Syria on Saturday amid fierce clashes with rebels, part of a ground offensive launched earlier this week.
- Belarusian Nobel winner says Lukashenko to be re-elected Updated: Oct-10-15 12:22 pm
BERLIN - Svetlana Alexievich, the Belarusian author who just won the Nobel Prize for literature, said Saturday there is no doubt Alexander Lukashenko will be re-elected president this weekend because the process is entirely under his control.
- Officials: CIA-backed Syrian rebels under Russian blitz Updated: Oct-10-15 11:14 am
WASHINGTON - CIA-backed rebels in Syria, who had begun to put serious pressure on President Bashar Assad's forces, are now under Russian bombardment with little prospect of rescue by their American patrons, U.S. officials say.
- Rosberg takes pole position for Russian GP Updated: Oct-10-15 10:49 am
SOCHI, Russia - Mercedes' Nico Rosberg took pole position for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday ahead of his teammate and title rival Lewis Hamilton.
- Belarus' Lukashenko set for re-election Updated: Oct-10-15 7:07 am
MINSK, Belarus - In the 21 years under Alexander Lukashenko's rule, Belarus in many ways has seemed little different than the Soviet republic it once was. Dissent is stifled, sometimes harshly. The economy remains largely state-controlled. Even the flag is nearly identical to the Soviet-era emblem.
- US weighing Russian response on Syria flight safety Updated: Oct-09-15 8:50 pm
ABOARD A US MILITARY AIRCRAFT - Russian leaders have responded to a proposed draft of safety guidelines for military aircraft flying missions in the increasingly crowded skies over Syria, the Pentagon said Friday.
- Spain and Switzerland secure spots in Euro 2016 Updated: Oct-09-15 6:34 pm
MADRID - Spain will defend its European Championship title next year, while Switzerland will return to the tournament for the first time since co-hosting it eight years earlier.
- Russia beats Moldova to close in on Euro 2016 place Updated: Oct-09-15 5:02 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - Russia took a big step toward qualifying for Euro 2016 on Friday as a 2-1 win over Moldova strengthened its hold on second place in Group G.
- US abandons Pentagon's failed rebel-building effort in Syria Updated: Oct-09-15 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is overhauling its approach to fighting the Islamic State in Syria, abandoning a failed Pentagon effort to build a new ground force of moderate rebels and instead partnering with established rebel groups, officials said Friday.
- IS advances near Syria's Aleppo despite Russian strikes Updated: Oct-09-15 3:14 pm
BEIRUT - Islamic State militants captured a string of villages near Aleppo on Friday in a lightning attack that brought them closer to the prized city in northern Syria, despite a major increase in Russian airstrikes that Moscow insists are targeting the extremists.
- Kremlin: Military strikes in Syria not big financial burden Updated: Oct-09-15 2:24 pm
MOSCOW - President Vladimir Putin's spokesman says Russian air strikes in Syria haven't put any strain on the government's budget.
- Correction: Nobel-Literature story Updated: Oct-09-15 2:14 pm
MINSK, Belarus - In an Oct. 8 story about the Nobel Prize for literature, The Associated Press erroneously reported that the prize had been awarded only twice for non-fiction prior to 2015, to Winston Churchill and Bertrand Russell. The prize also was awarded in 1902 to Christian Mommsen, most noted for his historical writing on Rome.
- In Belarus, opposition artists express dissent underground Updated: Oct-09-15 12:10 pm
MINSK, Belarus - Belarus' crippled political opposition has been cautious in its criticisms ahead of Sunday's presidential election. Not so the country's underground artists.
- Red Bull 'open' to continuing with Renault engines Updated: Oct-09-15 11:10 am
SOCHI, Russia - Red Bull team principal Christian Horner suggested Friday his team could continue using Renault engines for next year, with the team having previously threatened to leave Formula One.
- Massa clocks fastest time in rain-hit 2nd practice in Russia Updated: Oct-09-15 10:53 am
SOCHI, Russia - Williams driver Felipe Massa clocked the fastest time in Friday's second practice session for the Russian Grand Prix, with only six other drivers setting times in heavy rain.
- Defense secretary confirms Russian missiles crashed in Iran Updated: Oct-09-15 10:03 am
LONDON - The U.S. has indications that four Russian cruise missiles crashed in Iran rather than Syria, suggesting there were malfunctions, Defense Secretary Ash Carter confirmed Friday.
- The Latest: Slain Iran general was key figure in Syria war Updated: Oct-09-15 9:16 am
DAMASCUS, Syria - The latest developments as Syrian troops and other nations battle militants in Syria. (All times local in Syria).
- Official: Moscow could hand over imprisoned Ukrainian Updated: Oct-09-15 8:23 am
MOSCOW - Moscow is open to discussing handing over to Kiev a Ukrainian pilot charged with the murder of two journalists once there is a verdict in her trial, the Russian justice minister said on Friday, in contrast to previous statements.
- EU official: Bloc may suspend sanctions on Belarus Updated: Oct-09-15 8:08 am
BRUSSELS - The European Union may suspend sanctions on Belarus, following the release of political prisoners there earlier this year, an EU official said on Friday, signaling what could be the end of the nine-year-long international isolation for authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.
- Prosecutors: Russian lawmaker, jailed son plotted escape Updated: Oct-08-15 4:29 pm
SEATTLE - Over several months, a member of the Russian Parliament spoke to his son in a secret code over a federal prison telephone as they discussed plans to tamper with a witness, delay the son's trial and possibly devise an escape, according to federal prosecutors.
- NATO talks tough on Russia in Syria, with scant action Updated: Oct-08-15 2:23 pm
BRUSSELS - NATO talked tough Thursday about Moscow's expanding military activity in Syria, but the U.S.-led alliance's chief response to the Russian airstrikes and cruise missile attacks was a public pledge to help reinforce the defenses of member nation Turkey if necessary.
- The Latest: Scholar wonders about Putin reaction to Nobel Updated: Oct-08-15 1:21 pm
STOCKHOLM - Latest news from the awarding of the Nobel Prize in literature.
- Hamburgers might be on the menu for Russian cosmonauts Updated: Oct-08-15 11:07 am
MOSCOW - Hamburgers could soon be debuting on Russian menus in space.
- Turkey warns Russia over trade ties Updated: Oct-08-15 7:13 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned Russia that its military action in Syria is endangering trade ties with Turkey.
- AP INVESTIGATION: Nuclear black market seeks IS extremists Updated: Oct-07-15 5:46 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - In the backwaters of Eastern Europe, authorities working with the FBI have interrupted four attempts in the past five years by gangs with suspected Russian connections that sought to sell radioactive material to Middle Eastern extremists, The Associated Press has learned. The latest known case came in February this year, when a smuggler offered a huge cache of deadly cesium - enough to contaminate several city blocks - and specifically sought a buyer from the Islamic State group.