- Russia bids for vast Arctic territories at UN Updated: Aug-04-15 2:22 pm
MOSCOW - Russia has submitted a revised bid for vast territories in the Arctic to the United Nations, the Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.
- Russian man wanted in the deaths of his 6 children Updated: Aug-04-15 1:59 pm
MOSCOW - Russian investigators are searching for a man suspected of killing and dismembering his six young children. His wife also was missing and reported dead, and police said that a woman believed to be his mother was found dead.
- Aussies dominate podium at world swimming Updated: Aug-04-15 1:54 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Australia dominated the 100-meter backstroke events at the world swimming championships Tuesday, winning the men's title and going 1-2 in the women's final.
- Sitka making plans for the sesquicentennial of Alaska Day Updated: Aug-04-15 12:58 pm
SITKA, Alaska - Sitka Historical Society says the 150th anniversary of the 1867 Russian claims transfer will be here before we know it - and Sitka had better be prepared.
- Russia eyes action against non-EU nations joining sanctions Updated: Aug-04-15 12:49 pm
MOSCOW - Russia's prime minister has ordered preparation of retaliatory measures against several non-EU European nations that have joined the European Union's sanctions against Russia.
- Poland awards daughter of slain Russian opposition leader Updated: Aug-04-15 11:49 am
WARSAW, Poland - The daughter of slain Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov has received Poland's democracy award in recognition of her father's and her own activity.
- American Katie Ledecky lowers own world mark in 1,500 free Updated: Aug-04-15 11:43 am
KAZAN, Russia - Katie Ledecky of the United States has lowered her own world record by 2.23 seconds in winning the 1,500 freestyle at the world swimming championships.
- Paratroopers compete in military games in Russia Updated: Aug-04-15 9:08 am
RYAZAN, Russia - Paratroopers from Russia, China and several other nations have shown their skills at military competitions in western Russia.
- Chechnya opens its first beach for women Updated: Aug-04-15 9:01 am
GROZNY, Russia - Authorities in Chechnya have opened the first women-only beach in the mostly Muslim region.
- Simpson wins high diving gold at world championships Updated: Aug-04-15 8:38 am
KAZAN, Russia - The United States won gold and silver in women's high diving at the world championships Tuesday as Rachelle Simpson beat defending champion Cesilie Carlton to the top spot.
- Russia expels Swedish diplomat, says it's tit-for-tat move Updated: Aug-04-15 6:20 am
MOSCOW - Russia has expelled a Swedish diplomat in what it describes as a response to a similar Swedish move, the Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.
- Ukraine grants citizenship to Russian given government job Updated: Aug-04-15 6:13 am
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has granted Ukrainian citizenship to a Russian opposition figure nominated to a regional government job.
- World high jump champion Shkolina out with injury Updated: Aug-04-15 5:44 am
MOSCOW - World high jump champion Svetlana Shkolina of Russia will be unable to defend her title in Beijing due to an Achilles tendon tear.
- Van der Burgh heats up chilly swim prelims with world record Updated: Aug-04-15 4:41 am
KAZAN, Russia - Cameron van der Burgh heated up a chilly Tuesday morning at the swimming world championships by improving his own world record in the 50-meter breaststroke.
- Van der Burgh lowers own world record in 50 breast at worlds Updated: Aug-04-15 3:20 am
KAZAN, Russia - Cameron van der Burgh of South Africa improved his own world record in the 50-meter breaststroke on Tuesday at the swimming world championships.
- Hosszu of Hungary sets world record in 200 IM at swim worlds Updated: Aug-03-15 12:15 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Katinka Hosszu has set a world record in the 200-meter individual medley at the world swimming championships.
- Ukraine's ex-PM sets up 'Ukraine salvation committee' Updated: Aug-03-15 10:26 am
MOSCOW - Ukraine's former prime minister, in exile in Moscow, has announced the creation of a 'Ukraine salvation committee' and pushed for early presidential and parliamentary elections.
- Russian club slams 'bigotry' by rival fans Updated: Aug-03-15 6:26 am
MOSCOW - Russian Premier League football team Anzhi Makhachkala has called for an end to "bigotry" in domestic football after its fans were abused by CSKA Moscow supporters.
- US teen Ledecky improves her own world record in 1,500 free Updated: Aug-03-15 5:11 am
KAZAN, Russia - American teenager Katie Ledecky has improved her own world record in the 1,500-meter freestyle at the swimming world championships.
- Qiu beats Boudia to diving gold at world championships Updated: Aug-02-15 4:05 pm
KAZAN, Russia - David Boudia hoped some long-distance encouragement from his family could help him add a world championship title to his surprising Olympic diving victory from 2012.
- Sun Yang hits back at critics of doping ban after 400 win Updated: Aug-02-15 2:44 pm
KAZAN, Russia - Sun Yang hit back at the criticism stemming from his doping ban after defending his world title in the 400-meter freestyle at the swimming world championships Sunday.
- Russian police detain several gay activists Updated: Aug-02-15 12:41 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Police in St. Petersburg on Sunday detained several gay activists who have held pickets in defense of gay rights on a Russian military holiday.
- Russian military helicopter crashes during air show, 1 dead Updated: Aug-02-15 12:30 pm
MOSCOW - A Russian military helicopter from an elite aerobatic squadron crashed Sunday during an air show, killing one pilot and injuring another, the Defense Ministry said, the latest in a series of accidents that have dogged the nation's air force this year.
- Sweden's Sarah Sjoestrom sets world mark in 100 butterfly Updated: Aug-02-15 11:09 am
KAZAN, Russia - Sarah Sjoestrom of Sweden has set a world record in the semifinals of the 100-butterfly at the world swimming championships.
- Russian forces kill 8 suspected IS members in North Caucasus Updated: Aug-02-15 9:22 am
MOSCOW - Russia's counterterrorism agency says its forces in North Caucasus have killed eight militants who had sworn allegiance to the Islamic State group.