- Lukoil managers charged for money $1.95 bln laundering Updated: Aug-03-15 2:52 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian authorities have charged Russian oil producer Lukoil with complicity in money laundering worth 1.77 billion euros ($1.95 billion).
- Roche drug maker probed in Romanian graft case Updated: Jul-31-15 12:11 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Swiss pharmaceuticals company Roche confirmed Friday it is being investigated by anti-corruption prosecutors looking for evidence that drug companies offered doctors vacations and other incentives in exchange for prescribing cancer drugs.
- Lausanne awarded 2020 Winter Youth Olympics Updated: Jul-31-15 5:59 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The Swiss city of Lausanne has been awarded the Winter Youth Olympics for 2020, beating Brasov, Romania, in a vote by International Olympic Committee members.
- Romania seizes heroin shipment headed to Western Europe Updated: Jul-29-15 7:35 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian authorities have seized 333 kilograms (733 pounds) of heroin that was headed to Western Europe.
- Romania: Parliament to vote on tax cuts that president nixed Updated: Jul-27-15 10:02 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's center-left ruling party will recall Parliament from its summer recess to vote on a redrafted series of tax cuts after the president refused to pass the previous proposals into law.
- Communist-era prison commander handed 20-year year sentence Updated: Jul-24-15 8:13 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A court on Friday set a 20-year sentence for a communist-era prison commander convicted of crimes against humanity in the deaths of 12 inmates, in the first such trial in Romania.
- Romania, Wales set to be surprise World Cup top seeds Updated: Jul-23-15 12:02 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - At the 2018 World Cup qualifying draw on Saturday, two European countries could be rewarded for perfect tactics on and off the field.
- Romania detains ex-minister in corruption case Updated: Jul-23-15 9:52 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Police in Romania have detained a former interior minister on charges of illegally receiving 185,000 euros ($203,000) from a businessman.
- Romania bans Holocaust denial, fascist symbols Updated: Jul-22-15 11:07 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's president has signed into law legislation that punishes Holocaust denial and the promotion of the fascist Legionnaires' Movement with prison sentences of up to three years.
- Romanian police raid sewers, detain suspected drug dealers Updated: Jul-21-15 12:12 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Police in Romania have searched the capital's sewers in an anti-drug raid and detained dozens of people for questioning on suspicion of trafficking.
- Romanian music fest gives free tickets in exchange for blood Updated: Jul-20-15 6:52 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania is tapping into the Dracula legend, offering concert-goers free tickets in exchange for their blood.
- Errani vs. Schmiedlova in Bucharest Open final on Sunday Updated: Jul-18-15 12:58 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Top-seeded Sara Errani of Italy ruined Romanian hopes when she beat Monica Niculescu 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 to reach the Bucharest Open final on Saturday.
- Romania Parliament speaker calls for reforms of ruling party Updated: Jul-16-15 11:53 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - The speaker of Romania's Parliament on Thursday called for a profound overhaul of the ruling party after Prime Minister Victor Ponta was indicted on corruption charges and had his assets seized, a first in Romania.
- Air traffic controllers stage strike in Romania over pay Updated: Jul-15-15 9:40 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian air traffic controllers staged a two-hour strike Wednesday after talks broke down over pay, job flexibility and the retirement age.
- Romania seeks 25-year sentence for communist prison chief Updated: Jul-14-15 1:38 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors say they are seeking up to 25 years in prison for a communist-era prison commander charged in the deaths of 12 political prisoners decades ago.
- Romania prime minister indicted in corruption investigation Updated: Jul-13-15 3:37 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors indicted Prime Minister Victor Ponta on Monday as part of a wide-ranging corruption investigation and seized his assets, increasing pressure on him to resign.
- Moldovans, Romanians call for reunification, scatter flowers Updated: Jul-11-15 1:07 pm
CHISINAU, Moldova - About 2,000 Moldovans and Romanians have called for their countries to be reunited, throwing flowers onto a river separating the two countries.
- Exposed to Greek banks, Balkans brace for trouble Updated: Jul-07-15 9:44 am
BELGRADE, Serbia - There is a saying in the Balkans: "Indebted like Greece."