- Hacker Guccifer pleads guilty to disclosing Bush emails Updated: May-25-16 1:32 pm
ALEXANDRIA, Virginia - The Romanian hacker known as Guccifer will serve at least two years in prison after pleading guilty to breaking into computer accounts of the Bush family in 2013 and publicly releasing private family photos.
- Romania play reminds people of the good, bad of communism Updated: May-25-16 8:39 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanians have relived the horrors of communism in a play featuring Lenin and Stalin, set to patriotic songs of that era, played by actors who mime their roles.
- Romania: Hewlett Packard vows to probe suspected wrongdoing Updated: May-24-16 12:53 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Tech giant Hewlett Packard said Tuesday it would investigate allegations of wrongdoing in a health services contract in Romania which prosecutors say cost the East European country 16.8 million euros ($18.8 million).
- Romanian Senate speaker charged with making false statements Updated: May-24-16 11:12 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have charged the Senate speaker with making false statements to protect people standing trial in a real estate case involving a prince.
- Romania: health chiefs, Hewlett Packard probed Updated: May-23-16 3:36 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors say nine health chiefs and tech giant Hewlett Packard are being probed on suspicion of wrongdoing in a health services contract that cost the state 16.8 million euros ($18.8 million).
- Romania prosecutors probe car death tied to pharma scam Updated: May-23-16 10:38 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's general prosecutor's office on Monday ordered an investigation of a car crash fatality which has been connected to a high-profile pharmaceutical scam.
- Romania's ex-king asks not to pay taxes on his castle Updated: May-20-16 11:05 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's former King Michael has asked not to pay taxes on his castle in western Romania as he is a war veteran.
- Traditional Romanian food gets boost from EU Updated: May-17-16 6:17 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Traditional foods enjoyed by generations of Romanians - including Transylvanian cheese, plum jam and succulent salami, a favorite of the son of late Communist leader Nicolae Ceausescu - are getting an unexpected boost thanks to the European Union.
- Romanian firm indicted over diluted hospital disinfectants Updated: May-13-16 9:46 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian prosecutors have indicted a pharmaceutical company on charges that the disinfectants they manufactured failed to fight disease.
- US criticizes Romania central bank for "anti-Semitic" coin Updated: May-13-16 9:30 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - The U.S. Embassy in Romania on Friday criticized the country's central bank for releasing a coin bearing the image of a former bank governor who it said actively promoted anti-Semitism.
- US missile defense site opens in Romania, Russia sees threat Updated: May-12-16 2:48 pm
DEVESELU, Romania - A U.S missile defense site in Romania aimed at protecting Europe from ballistic missile threats became operational Thursday, drawing an angry reaction from Russia, which opposes having the advanced military system in its former area of influence.
- 3 Afghans arrested in fatal shooting of 2 Romanian soldiers Updated: May-09-16 12:35 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Three Afghan citizens have been arrested in connection with the fatal shooting of two Romanian soldiers and the wounding of a third, Romania's defense minister said Monday.
- Romania autopsy: Ekeng had enlarged heart, more tests needed Updated: May-09-16 10:30 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Cameroon midfielder Patrick Ekeng had an enlarged heart but more tests are needed to determine the cause of death, Romanian doctors said Monday after an autopsy.
- Romania: 2 soldiers killed, 1 injured in Afghanistan Updated: May-07-16 12:00 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's defense ministry says two of its soldiers have been killed and another injured during a training mission in Afghanistan.
- Prosecutors begin probe into footballer death in Romania Updated: May-07-16 11:46 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Prosecutors are investigating the sudden death of Dinamo Bucharest and Cameroon midfielder Patrick Ekeng after he collapsed during a match in the Romanian capital.
- Romania: prosecutors probe suspected electoral fraud plans Updated: May-06-16 9:06 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Anti-corruption prosecutors seeking to thwart possible plans to tamper with upcoming local elections in Romania have carried out searches in homes and public institutions.
- Opera: offstage drama rivets Romania, costs minister his job Updated: May-05-16 7:29 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - A compelling drama at Romania's national opera has been drawing huge audiences for weeks. But it's not a production of "The Marriage of Figaro" or "The Barber of Seville" that's grabbing the limelight, it's an offstage dispute between two international ballet stars and Romanian musicians that has already cost a government minister his job.
- Romania: new culture minister sworn in amid opera dispute Updated: May-04-16 11:22 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romania's president has urged the country's new culture minister to resolve a major crisis at the country's main opera house that cost her predecessor his job.
- 200 US soldiers due in Moldova for military exercises Updated: May-02-16 4:21 am
CHISINAU, Moldova - Some 200 U.S. soldiers will arrive in Moldova for more than two weeks of exercises, in a show of U.S. military strength in the region.
- Romania: police confiscate Byzantine coins from British man Updated: Apr-29-16 3:36 pm
BUCHAREST, Romania - Romanian border police say they have confiscated 71 Byzantine coins from a British citizen traveling from Turkey to Romania.
- Moldova PM: reforms must start with the government Updated: Apr-28-16 6:55 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Moldova's prime minister says badly needed reforms in the impoverished country must start with the government.
- Romania: media owner questioned over massive tax evasion Updated: Apr-27-16 8:33 am
BUCHAREST, Romania - Prosecutors in Romania say they have questioned a media owner on suspicion of tax evasion worth 8 million ($9 million).