- Divisive Polish party leader Kaczynski pulls the strings Updated: Feb-07-16 8:37 am
WARSAW, Poland - When Hungary's prime minister had a secret five-hour meeting in a secluded mountain resort with the most powerful person in Poland, he didn't convene with his counterpart or the Polish president.
- Jewish group condemns far-right WWII remembrance in Hungary Updated: Feb-06-16 3:57 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Simon Wiesenthal Center has condemned a far-right commemoration in Hungary of a World War II battle in which speakers lauded a wartime pro-Nazi Hungarian leader.
- Hungary's public education official replaced amid protests Updated: Feb-06-16 8:15 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's state secretary of public education has been replaced amid growing discontent and protests by teachers, students and parents against the government's centralization of the school system.
- Teachers, students protest education system in Hungary Updated: Feb-03-16 2:14 pm
MISKOLC, Hungary - Thousands of teachers, students and parents in several cities in Hungary protested Wednesday against the government's centralization of the education system and the increasing overburdening of pupils and educators.
- Poland salutes plan to boost NATO presence in Eastern Europe Updated: Feb-03-16 8:22 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Poland's foreign minister says the protection of NATO's eastern borders needs to be increased in light of the "apparently unresolvable" conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
- The Latest: Hungary accepts UK efforts to stop benefit abuse Updated: Feb-02-16 10:17 am
BRUSSELS - The Latest on negotiations on changes to EU law aimed at keeping Britain in the bloc (all times local):
- As children die reaching for Europe's shores, empathy fades Updated: Feb-01-16 4:40 pm
PARIS - Five months ago, a 3-year-old Syrian boy's corpse on a Turkish beach galvanized public action for refugees. Now, strikingly similar images are generating little more than a collective shrug.
- Hungarian court acquits 15 charged in 2010 sludge flood case Updated: Jan-28-16 11:03 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - A Hungarian court on Thursday acquitted 15 employees of a company whose burst reservoir in 2010 flooded three towns with toxic red sludge, killing 10 people.
- Budapest city council approves venues for 2024 Olympic bid Updated: Jan-27-16 7:58 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Budapest's city council on Wednesday approved the list of venues to be included in its bid for the 2024 Olympics.
- Despite patrols, sealing Greek sea border is near impossible Updated: Jan-24-16 3:18 pm
CHIOS, Greece - In the inky nighttime blackness, a small red dot appears on the radar screen, moving fast.
- Hungary's Orban defends Poland from 'groundless' EU measures Updated: Jan-22-16 5:03 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary's prime minister has described plans by the European Union to assess several laws passed by the new Polish government as "groundless measures from the rather pompous older democracies."
- Renzi confident time is right for Rome to host Olympics Updated: Jan-21-16 12:41 pm
LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Italian Premier Matteo Renzi believes Rome's time has finally come to host the Olympics again.
- Man in Hungary gets 3 years' probation for Holocaust denial Updated: Jan-21-16 12:05 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - A Budapest court on Thursday sentenced a Hungarian man to three years' probation for publicly denying that the Holocaust happened.
- Hungary's Orban invited to Feb. 17 meeting with Putin Updated: Jan-21-16 11:05 am
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungary says Prime Minister Viktor Orban has been invited to visit Russian President Vladimir Putin on Feb. 17.
- Paris 2024 Olympic bid secures $2 million sponsorship deal Updated: Jan-21-16 8:11 am
PARIS - Leaders of the Paris bid for the 2024 Olympics secured a 2 million euros ($2.2 million) sponsorship deal Thursday with the operator of France's national lottery.
- Hungary government sides with taxi drivers against Uber Updated: Jan-20-16 4:26 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - The Hungarian government says it supports taxi drivers in their protest against ride-hailing apps like Uber.
- Werder Bremen signs Hungary's Laszlo Kleinheisler Updated: Jan-20-16 9:36 am
BREMEN, Germany - Werder Bremen says it has signed Hungary midfielder Laszlo Kleinheisler from Videoton.
- Taxis in Budapest block traffic, demand ban on Uber Updated: Jan-18-16 2:41 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary - More than 100 taxis blocked traffic in downtown Budapest on Monday as drivers demanded a ban on Uber and other ride-hailing apps.
- The Latest: Dutch FM calls for EU unity in migrants crisis Updated: Jan-15-16 12:58 pm
COPENHAGEN, Denmark - The latest on the continuing flow of people into and across Europe. All times local: